Bloodline Dwarf Fortress game - Done.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

roundedge

Re: Bloodline Dwarf Fortress game

Postby roundedge » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
roundedge wrote:The waterfall and automatic drainage system are complete! In addition, the lower part of the tower is now water tight with windows and smooth granite walls. We had a grand ceremony, to celebrate the beginning of The Great Filling. Our philosopher estimates that it will take half a year to fill the pit, I am sad I will not get to see the automatic drainage system in action.

The pit IS THE TOWER. You're supposed to use the WHOLE DAMN THING.

Second, I'd like to ask that you cease the filling and maybe put some token effort into prepping a drainage spike. I could manage the complete drainage when my round comes up, in case you have other stuff in mind.

Sorry, it's out of my control now. That's the whole point of a bloodline game. What's a drainage spike?

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:45 am UTC

A stack of interlocking pumps used to lift water multiple floors with maximum efficiency. I'll probably direct the water north and let it flow off the edge of the map. The intake can be stopped via any of the usual daming methods.

Edit:

Actually, since you installed floodgates like a good mason, we can cut off the flow trivially. (Upper lever by the intake)

roundedge

Postby roundedge » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:53 am UTC

I don't think you can let it flow off the edge of the map, can you? I mean, you can't dig a channel on the very edge tile. It's too bad we don't have any chasms or aquifers.

I still think filling the pit with water is a capital idea.

oh, and then filling the water with sharks

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Once we buld the actual tower, I'd intend to make our valley into a lake.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 am UTC

roundedge wrote:I don't think you can let it flow off the edge of the map, can you? I mean, you can't dig a channel on the very edge tile. It's too bad we don't have any chasms or aquifers.

I still think filling the pit with water is a capital idea.

oh, and then filling the water with sharks

It will drain off the edge I'm pretty sure, you don't necessarily need a channel though. If for some reason it won't drain off the edge then you could just put it back into the river near the the part where it goes off the edge.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:27 pm UTC

Unless Toady changed it recently, you can totally push water off a map. I mean, that's how rivers work. If you examine the last few squares, you'll usually see that they aren't at 7/7, but are at 4/7 or 2/7 or something like that, as the water is falling off the edge of the map.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

annals

Postby annals » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:41 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:The pit IS THE TOWER. You're supposed to use the WHOLE DAMN THING.

I see roundedge's dwarf finding fulfillment in a rich life of military service soon.

Also, add me to the end of the list again, please.

roundedge

Postby roundedge » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

dun be hatin' on my dwarf just 'cause he a genius.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:50 am UTC

For experimentation's sake, I grabbed the last save and set up a stack of drainage pumps. Got them all installed and powered by the end of spring. Can be seen here.

If anyone else wants to impliment this before it gets to me, be sure to put in a wall by the northwest edge of the map to help direct the flow.

roundedge

Postby roundedge » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Wow, insult to injury with the walled off canal. "But sir, the floodgates are closed, isn't that sufficient?" "NEVER! Now wall the damned thing off!"

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:16 am UTC

It's a failsafe against tantrums, building destroyers, and gremlins. There's plenty of things that can comprimise a floodgate, but nothing fucks with a brick wall.

We can put water in later though. Just widen the hole first.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:37 am UTC

I've almost got a drain finished.

Powered by the river, a series of screw pumps. Should suck the water out of the bottom of the map and shoot it out the north of the map. We'll see what happens when I flip the switch and turn it on.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:09 am UTC

Everything will blow up and everydwarf will die, that is if you made it properly. Properly as in dwarvenlike.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

I'm hoping it somehow leaves the water in place, but sucks everything else into the pit with it.

Also, the eventual plan I have is to leave it running, build the tower so that it almost, but not quite, takes up the entire pit.. and create a perpetual waterfall.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

At what phase of that plan do we domesticate and raise a family of tentacle demons?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

Right before "Profit".
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

But right after "Massive fortress casualties when Dungeon Master Numbnuts let one loose without taming it first. Asshole."

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:05 pm UTC

Also, in the save I posted back there, note the Melancholy dwarf who's laying in bed with a fractured skull and missing the lower-left quarter of their body. The reason they're feeling so down is they went strange and couldn't crawl out of bed to get to a workshop. Guess the idea for that perfect Kitten Bone Floodgate came to them in a coma fantasy.

roundedge

Postby roundedge » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:25 am UTC

Isn't SecondTalon's turn long over? Just wondering what's going on there.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:00 am UTC

I'm wondering as well, I don't think I've seen a story/journal posted for quite a while now.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:53 pm UTC

Which is entirely my fault and I'm going to reflect it in the journal. Should be able to get it up tonight.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Spoiler:
So, they put me in charge. No idea who, just woke up to a new spring day to "Estee! You're in charge now!"

Great.

I take a look around.. not too bad, I suppose.. water falling in to the tower, let me have a look at that...

Wait, wasn't the point of the tower that we were supposed to LIVE in it eventually? How the hell are we going to live in that? Alright, let me drain this thing and.. what do you mean there's no drain? You're serious... someone started to flood the thing without any way of pulling the water back out?

*sigh*

Alright, fine.. I'll figure it out.... I need at least twenty corkscrews, twenty tubes, and blocks. Oh, and gobs of wood.... Let's get the water wheels set up here, great.. now let's make a run to over here, where the drains are. You guys get started on getting a path for the water to take, get it to flood.. I don't know, to the north. That will work.

Like I was saying, get me those supplies to make the screw pumps. Just chop down some trees and.... what do you mean an Elven emissary is here? Can't Thendash meet them? He's busy? *sigh* Fine, I'll talk to the guy.

Alright, change of plans, dwarves. The Elven pansy is getting all pissy about us chopping down the forest. Now, I don't know about you guys, but I like it when they bring us cougars.. and they always have shitty weapons, so I've got no real desire to take their rubber spears, if you know what I'm saying. So I said we'd limit our forestry majors to 100 trees for a while. We've got plenty on hand and, honestly, we really only need it for beds, barrels, and bins. So get those screw pump supplies out of glass. Cheap stuff, I don't care if it's green.

What else do we have here? Let me check the cage stocks and.. HOLY SHIT! Why the hell do we have so many goblins around? Uh huh.. Goblin Fight Club. And how often do they fight each other.. uh huh... so the only way is to rely on these spear traps, or to go in and do it ourselves.

... New plan. See this area right above the boneyard here? Pop a hole in it and stick a hatch down. We're going to flood this area, throw the goblins in to it, and when they're all dead, pop the hatch open let it all drain down here where it can rot. We'll take the good stuff and make crafts out of their bones. Chain that hydra up right near the door, just in case one of them gets out.. those thieves are slippery bastards.

*END SPRING*

And while we're at it, can someone clean up in this damned place? Here, just dig out areas here, here, and here. Shove everything loose into them, we'll sort it out later. Alright, leave the stones alone.. just throw the coal and ores in there.

.. how's the guard looking? What do you mean, "What Guard"? The Fortress Guard. ... Alright, so who's the Captain of the Guard? Uh huh.. that asshole's fired. I'm taking over for that. We need security. Why? BECAUSE THE HAMMERER JUST BEAT A MECHANIC TO DEATH! If *we* do it, we can pretend to slap a guy around for a minute, and the Hammerer, blind as he is, will leave us alone.

...seriously, dude just bashed that mechanic's brains in. What the hell is wrong with him? He'd already been arrested... I think we may need to throw him in the Volcano if you... he's right behind me, isn't he? Crap.

Traders are here! And.. they can't get in? What's going on at the gates? .. where are all these damned horses coming from? Where's our military?.... what do you mean, dicking around in the barracks? Get them out there! .. We've only got two squads? Ah, those idiots follow their captain around like a puppy, any time he takes a drink, they're all gone...... alright, here we go, we'll make a bunch of three-dwarf squads. I want you guys to patrol here, right by the gate in that area behind the fortifications. Kill any of those damned horses that so much as breathe at us funny. I'm tired of them constantly hitting that pressure plate.. I mean, it's doing it's job, sure, but .. let's just clean it up.

Now that I have some time and have all of you lazy bastards cleaning up this pig sty, let me take a good look at this lava fall. Hmm.. nice, nice.. may have to build a secure area around it, make some kind of drinking hall here..... wait, is.. that gold in the lava flow? Real.. gold? Gold? Who the hell let Lava in here with gold still in there! I mean, it's one thing that someone did that at the forges, but here?! Dig a hole in there and throw a couple of buckets of water on it.

Wait, the pumps are all in place? Hot damn! All the gears are all ready, switches are lined up, and the grate closed? Right on! Pull the lever and start draining the thing!

*END SUMMER*

..So the water on the lava didn't work? Damn. Alright, leave the tunnel here.. we'll figure it out eventually. .. hey, wait, someone covered over a hole here near the main pipe. Open this up, it'll make the perfect garbage dump. And.. there's still coal in the wall here?! Dig that out!

Alright, with this done, I want exploratory shafts here, here, and here. ..Malachite, and some gems, huh? Better than nothing, I suppose.

That drain done yet? No? Damn.

*END FALL*

Drain's done? Great! Alright, this thing needs to be glass and steel. Maybe a little marble. Take this granite off of here. Yes, the whole thing. I don't know, start a the top or bottom or something, figure it out.

Did.. I just hear someone fall off the tower? Make that.. two.. no..thr..f....SIX PEOPLE JUST FELL OFF THE TOWER! YOU MORONS! STOP! STOP! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU PEOPLE DOING?! NO! NO! BAD! BAD! YOU DO NOT REMOVE A WALL WHILE BILLY'S STILL STANDING ON IT WHEN THERE'S NOTHING BELOW HIM! WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!!?

*sigh*

Alright, let me hold your hand while you do this.... there, that better? We'll leave the bottom floor alone, but put some temporary supports here and here. And be careful, the ground's got some nice carvings on *crack*... the ground HAD some nice carving's on it. Morons.

Bottom floor's almost done.. hopefully whoever takes over will use this as a guide. Let's see.. if we did a tunnel here, and make it this tall.. we can get water in here faster.. hook some floodgates up here, do a bit of this there.... crap, time's almost up, isn't it? Well.. let me just note everything I did. If it's not done yet, I'll stick a Red Dwarf on it with what I was planning to do.. that should be obvious. Hopefully.

...as soon as I find out who didn't label some of these levers, I'm arresting him myself. No, I'm not touching them. For all I know some maniac rigged the volcano to blow when I so much as sneeze at it.

I'm done.. let some other fool deal with this.. I'm taking a nap, call me when you need me.

*END WINTER*

The Game

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:39 am UTC

as soon as I find out who didn't label some of these levers, I'm arresting him myself. No, I'm not touching them. For all I know some maniac rigged the volcano to blow when I so much as sneeze at it.

I agree, LABEL YOUR LEVERS PEOPLE! And did we ever find out who that dwarf was that was in that cage?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:46 am UTC

Near as I can tell given my experience in other games - that dwarf in a cage is a Goblinoid Dwarf - a snatched baby raised among the Goblins and part of an invasion group.

Why I can't move him around, I don't know. When I get another go, I'll remake the flood room slightly, throw the cage he's in in there, pop it open with a lever after flooding the room, and wait for his ass to drown - just to free the cage up.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:51 am UTC

ST, your save upload doesn't work for me, it says it's not a valid archive file.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Coolzies. Hey speak up if you guys want a turn (possibly again). Awia do you want to be on the list?

Players:
Yuri2356
Mo0man
Annals

It is Kaeles' turn

Edit: I don't see Kaeles on too much so I sent a PM; we'll give it a few days?

Double Edit: Whoops, didn't see you there Annals.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

Awia wrote:ST, your save upload doesn't work for me, it says it's not a valid archive file.

Hm.. Odd, I'll take another look when I get home, see what's going on. Might even swap hosts, just to be sure.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:42 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:Coolzies. Hey speak up if you guys want a turn (possibly again). Awia do you want to be on the list?
I would, but I've never got a fortress past the third year, I've never been in a siege and I can't keep a diary, so it'd be a bad idea, or it could be incredibly funny, if anyone thinks the latter I'll join.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Funny always wins over Longevity.

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

Than I shall join, sign me up for service Jebobek!

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:12 pm UTC

Woo!

Players:
Yuri2356
Mo0man
Annals
Imminent Mayhem HilarityAwia

It is Kaeles' turn

Awia

Postby Awia » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

I am a time limit, if the Fortress hasn't been destroyed by the time I get to it, it certainly will be after my turn.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:49 am UTC

I think I see the problem.. the file should have been a .rar, not a .zip. My bad.

Try this link.

kaeles

Postby kaeles » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:28 am UTC

Sorry, been busy with trig, stats and calc... too many maths at once, anyways, I'll get started on this tonight.

roundedge

Postby roundedge » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:53 am UTC

Psh, how can we all live in a tower. That thing should be filled with water I say, water and sharks!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 am UTC

Once you build proper rooms, quite lovely, actually. And we can still fill the outside edge with water and sharks.

Even have the beginnings of a glass skyway that, once the water flows, will become a pedestrian tunnel back into the mountain.

AKAnotu

Postby AKAnotu » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

I'll play another round.

In an unrelated question, why is my legendary seige operator a trapper? (Heck, I'm just glad he's alive, but trapper just seems random.)
Abraham Lincoln wrote:If you are racist, I will attack you with the north.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Players:
Yuri2356
Mo0man
Annals
Awia
AKAnotu

It is Kaeles' turn
Howabout we give Kaeles one more day then it goes to Yuri?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

Sounds like a plan.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

Arighty; PMing the 24 hr alert to Kaeles and a fine how-you-do to Yuri about his upcoming turn.

Return to “Gaming”