Far Cry 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Durandal

Re: Far Cry 2

Postby Durandal » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:40 am UTC

Okay. I pirated this game about a week ago, played it, and am now purchasing it (as well as the fortunes pack) for a second playthrough.

This game was awesome. The environment is just incredible - that would have to be my favorite part of the whole game. It's extremely well done.

However, you can't help but feel like there's a lot of untapped potential, and some fairly serious design flaws. For instance, having every guard post and roving vehicle shoot at you on sight was an absolutely terrible decision. It makes you wary of exploring, since you'll likely have to get out of your vehicle and deal with some enemies every 30-60 seconds. It takes fucking forever to get anywhere; if they didn't have the bus stations, I would have quit the game. You should be able to ally yourself with a faction and drive safely through their guard outposts, at the very least (the game has to make up an excuse for why this is not so). And remove the roving vehicles entirely. Also, the stealth aspect of the game felt underdeveloped - it was possible, but frustrating. The course of events usually involved picking off maybe one or two enemies without being noticed before the shit hits the fan and you have to go loud.

As for untapped potential, I would have liked to see a lot more RPG elements added to the mix. Some are already there; unlocking weapons, exploring to find diamonds, some side missions. However, being able to walk into a guard outpost/town (WITHOUT being shot at) and talk to a character to receive a side mission would have vastly increased the depth of the game. Honestly, there were times when I was driving around that I got a Morrowind-esque feel from the game - but only that. It was so close to being utterly amazing.

One point that really interested me is that the story is thematically based on Heart of Darkness - or was supposed to be, anyway. Some parts of that idea are still present, albeit in an altered form. Malaria is one such part. In an interview early on in development, one of the devs said that you would be able to do underground missions for malaria medicine at the start, but as your reputation for violence rose they would stop being offered, and you would slowly degenerate into madness. The last part was taken out however, and now all that's left is an annoying game mechanic requiring you to take missions for malaria medicine from time to time. Anyone who has played the game and read the book will be able to spot other parallels (including the final area very subtly being named the heart of darkness).

So most of the game was pretty cool. The weapons were fun to use, although fire turned out to be just a gimmick. It's far easier to just shoot enemies than start a brushfire that spreads into their base. The mortar wins my vote as coolest video game weapon this year, by far. All is good, and then we get to the finale.

The finale. Oh dear.

I'd better spoiler this next part, since it regards the finale/ending.

Spoiler:
So, you've spent the entire game building your relationship with your buddies. The game does a pretty good job of it too - for most of them, anyway. Some of them were a little hard to actually start caring about, especially the woman character. However, there were a few that you actually got attached to. Now, there are a couple points in the game where you lose your buddies in various situations. This is fine; it makes for a more emotionally immersive game experience, and tragic situations are present in most stories. However, in the finale of the game, Ubisoft has all these buddies that you thought were dead come back and attack you, with no explanation or motive. You just reach an objective, and they appear out of nowhere and open fire. You're forced to incapacitate them, then go up to them one by one and execute them. FUCK YOU, Ubisoft. You don't do that. That's just fucking pointless emotional betrayal. It doesn't tug at your heart strings, it just makes you go 'what the fuck' and very nearly stop playing, but don't because you're pretty much at the end anyway. It very nearly ruins the entire game.

The ending itself was decent I suppose, although the one with you detonating explosives could have had more of an effect than the screen turning black suddenly. Heck, even making it turn white would have been an improvement. The other ending involving you shooting yourself felt unfinished, because you just go talk to the guard and the game ends. I was hoping for an emotionally powerful scene reminiscent of the one from Call of Duty 4 in the aftermath of the nuclear explosion, but was left disappointed. We see a brief cutscene of the journalist, then are told the aftermath with text.

All in all, I would definitely recommend picking this game up. It's an experience, that's for sure.

swarmer

Postby swarmer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:02 am UTC

I definitely agree with you Durandal. This game is a ton of fun, but there is so much more that could've been done. Well, technically not; the game was ambitious enough, and it wouldn't have been possible to fit anything else into the development schedule. But I'd like to see a sequel that focuses on tapping the potential that this game has. Now that the game framework is made, it's time for them to develop it to the fullest.

Has anyone played this online? I've had both the best and the worst multiplayer experiences of my life in this game. Mostly the worst, but the fun I had was worth it. This was my favorite experience:
It was a team deathmatch game on a huge map that had 2 foresty sides, cut in half by a huge gorge with a single bridge in the middle. You could jump down the gorge and swim across the other side though, but it took like 6 minutes to get across. Everyone was sniping with their giant, loud sniper rifles. I took the silenced dart rifle and silenced pistol and swam across covertly. I slowly crawled and steathily darted from tree to tree until I was in the middle of the enemy base. There was so much brush everywhere that it would be very difficult for them to find me if I was careful. For the next 2 hours, I snuck up to enemy snipers and shot them in the head from short or medium range with my silenced weapons. Sometimes I crawled behind them and then macheted them. They could never find me, because I would always change positions and wait patiently for an enemy to reveal his position. This was the first and only time that I experienced what stealth should truly be like in a game. I've never played a multiplayer game where you lay still in the grass as enemies slowly walk past you, 1 foot away, without noticing. Sadly, it is only on this map (River Crossing) that I experience this.

But the majority of the FC2 multiplayer experience is horrendous. The lobby system is stupid. It takes like 30 clicks to navigate to anything; you can't switch teams in the game, and the voting system is broken half the time. The weapons are unbalanced (lol multi-grenade launcher spamming). The game itself is also really buggy when in multiplayer. Swimming too long in water makes you take permanent damage. So you can be perfectly healthy, take a deep swim, come up the surface and then press H, making you pull rebar out of your chest. The fish in there must have guns or something. Ubisoft support for the game is terrible.

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

This game bored me. much too much tedious repetition while trying to get around the map. The weapon shop missions were just stupid, the damn truck just kept circling, don't worry about them getting spooked by that last RPG that flew by, they will be back in a sec. This game had promise but failed, there was no real use scouting a base before attacking, the missions were dull and repetitive, and did i mention traveling around was tedious with all the outposts re spawning? how about random patrols instead?

I have yet to see a good open world fps. hope someone can do it one day cause the idea is awesome.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:47 am UTC

Mactabilis wrote:This game bored me. much too much tedious repetition while trying to get around the map. The weapon shop missions were just stupid, the damn truck just kept circling, don't worry about them getting spooked by that last RPG that flew by, they will be back in a sec. This game had promise but failed, there was no real use scouting a base before attacking, the missions were dull and repetitive, and did i mention traveling around was tedious with all the outposts re spawning? how about random patrols instead?

I have yet to see a good open world fps. hope someone can do it one day cause the idea is awesome.

This. Played it for a few days and then quickly uninstalled it. The random attacking trucks and respawning outposts really killed it for me.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:58 am UTC

Aside from the fact that I never play multiplayer games on general principle, I am so far loving FC2.

A lot of people are saying that the travel time is a bitch, but for some reason I love any game that has travel time, which is half the reason that I also loved SoTC. It was very enjoyable, aside from the mercenaries who kept relentlessly attacking you for no real reason. I found that this made the game incredibly addictive, and I got a headache from how much I played it at one time.

The weapons were anything that I could really expect from a FPS. It suffers from the same problem as the Ghost Recon games, in which you get about forty rifles that do the same thing, but I'm not complaining. At least in Far Cry 2 you don't die when an enemy so much as breathes on you.
I also found the weapon-damage idea very interesting, and enjoyable. It made the game more intense for me, and kept reminding to go to Weapon depots every so often.
I had a moment while playing involving the weapon damage, one of those gaming moments where you do some Crowning Moment of Awesome thing that you know you'll never be able to do again. It was when i was fighting a large group of people while stuck inside a house. There were only about two of them left, when one of them ran in through the door, and emptied his rifle into me, putting me on critical health. As my rifle had just emptied its clip, I pulled out my pistol and shot him until he collapsed. Turns out he wasn't dead, just writhing on the ground, but I had already started healing myself. He started getting up again, as I got my rifle and reloaded. It jammed first shot, he pulled out a handgun and turned to me, I fixed my rifle, and we BOTH SHOT EACH OTHER AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME. I died, and so did he, but it was still awesome. :twisted:

The Buddies were cool, if not a bit strange. I found that two of mine randomly disappeared, but it hasn't happened since. Maybe I just missed something. Other than that, I thought the idea was very clever.

As for the ending, I can't really make a comment yet, as I haven't yet finished the game, but if a game is good up until the ending, I tend to like it anyway.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:58 am UTC

Major necro for a question.

I bought the game cheap for the 360, and can't stand the controls. Everything else about the game seems like it could be pretty cool, but the controls are way to floaty for me. I keep overshooting my target, trying to look at something feels like playing Operation, and I always oversteer when turning a corner and end up running into a wall (and I mean just walking, not driving). Are the controls any better on the PC version? I don't want to spend $10 on it and have the same problems.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:28 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Major necro for a question.

I bought the game cheap for the 360, and can't stand the controls. Everything else about the game seems like it could be pretty cool, but the controls are way to floaty for me. I keep overshooting my target, trying to look at something feels like playing Operation, and I always oversteer when turning a corner and end up running into a wall (and I mean just walking, not driving). Are the controls any better on the PC version? I don't want to spend $10 on it and have the same problems.

I don't own it, although I tried helping you out a little and searching for issues. This is what I came up with:

-the PC version has bad mouse lag
-if you turn off mouse smoothing, aiming moves really slowly.
-A number of crashes and save corruption occur, but are normally resolved by disabling audio (what a weird bug)
-With windows 7, many users cannot access multiplayer servers, nor download custom maps
-A lot of users have complained about aa causing issues when it's running

-And of course, there's the same DRM as used with Spore

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:14 am UTC

Well, numbers 1 and 2 sounds like an overcorrection of the problems I'm having on 360. Maybe I'll just give the 360 version another shot. Thanks Landers.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:09 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Well, numbers 1 and 2 sounds like an overcorrection of the problems I'm having on 360. Maybe I'll just give the 360 version another shot. Thanks Landers.

Well, good luck with it!

Edit: also, you should try toggling auto aim and reduce horizontal sensitivity. It seems to have helped some people with the xbox controls.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:34 pm UTC

F117Landers wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:Major necro for a question.

I don't own it, although I tried helping you out a little and searching for issues. This is what I came up with:

-the PC version has bad mouse lag
-if you turn off mouse smoothing, aiming moves really slowly.
-A number of crashes and save corruption occur, but are normally resolved by disabling audio (what a weird bug)
-With windows 7, many users cannot access multiplayer servers, nor download custom maps
-A lot of users have complained about aa causing issues when it's running

-And of course, there's the same DRM as used with Spore

I haven't noticed any of these things on the PC version. If anything, the game plays better for me than many other shooters that came out around the same time.

I did occasionally have an issue where, if I drove a vehicle over a ridge into a very open space the game would freeze for a minute - I assume because it was drawing too much at once - but even then it would eventually recover. And this happened very rarely. The only time I've actually had the game crash was when I wandered way up on a certain mountain that you're obviously not meant to climb in the first place; my guy basically fell off the map.

For the OP - if you enjoy the game but not the controls on the 360, I would definitely recommend the PC version, especially for ten bucks. As long as your machine isn't too outdated, the game should run fine.

Return to “Gaming”