Final Fantasy X shall be the end of my sanity.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aradae

Final Fantasy X shall be the end of my sanity.

Postby Aradae » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:40 pm UTC

I just started playing it again recently. Right now I'm just trying to get all of the celestial weapons and I'm being driven near insane by how difficult it is.

Seriously? Who thought it would be fun to try dodging lighting for an hour?
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Re: Final Fantasy X shall be the end of my sanity.

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:43 pm UTC

If you can't beat Resident Evil without even a knife, what are you doing playing JRPG? [/sarcasm]

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:47 pm UTC

I think i only ended up getting, like, half of the celestial weapons because it's really not fun.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Lightning bolts is NOTHING compared to titus's stupid "minigame". God, that thing is so stupid and un-intuitive. I'm not going to say that it's total luck because you can get good at it but there is a large luck component. The biggest frustration with it is memorizing invisible walls, bird spawns based on your position, and responses from the horribly broken control they give you. None of which I considered fun at all.

No, the lightning bolts are relatively simple. You likely haven't learned the trick yet. There's a spot (actually I think two of them) that are like lightning focus points. The notable one I use is northeast of the center shop in there. It's like a little dark crater. Anyway, bolts come much faster there. Also, if you stay in the crater, you'll quickly learn that there is a very very simple rhythm. Bolts come in pairs and they are separated by a fixed time interval of about 10 seconds. Takes about 15 minutes if you know what you're doing and you're never really getting a bolt that you couldn't anticipate.

Of course that strategy requires no encounters but if you're trying to do it WITH encounters... god help you.

BTW: Lulu's celestial ain't that great. Hitters can't really beat the defense ignoring mod inherent in the celestials but casters are better off with custom weapons for booster AND magic+20%... Course, that's coming from somebody who had dark matter to burn from all the arena farming so... YMMV

If you're not playing with any kind of self imposed limits, Titus's blitz ace and wakka's attack reels overdrives dominate everything anyway. Just get them geared (celestials, auto-haste, triple overdrive) with lots of strength and agilty and the rest is gravy

Or decide stat raising is somehow fun and farm enough to get 133 luck on 7 characters. Yeah, that took a while... leave me alone.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

Yeah, that Chocobo Catcher thing pisses me off more.
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

Sorry kinda rambled there... played that game too much.

You find the specific spot in the thunder plains yet? You'll really kick yourself for trying it any other way when you finally do find it.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:12 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Sorry kinda rambled there... played that game too much.

You find the specific spot in the thunder plains yet? You'll really kick yourself for trying it any other way when you finally do find it.

Yeah, I heard there was a spot. I haven't actually tried it seriously yet because I just got the airship, though I did attempt it while I was passing through for the story. Don't have "No Encounters" on any of my armor yet.

Mostly just trying that Chocobo thing these past four hours. I think what pisses me off the most is the music.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:21 pm UTC

The easiest way to get no encounters is to fight that water boss from the beginning of the game (yes, you can now go kill him). He has like a 1/3rd chance of dropping the only no encounter piece that comes on a weapon and not an armor. Kind of an oddity and if you can kill him quickly, fairly easy to reload till you get it. If you've already killed him though (quite possible), you'll have a little harder time. You can fight in that cave between the calmlands and gagazet. I forget which enemy drops em but they're only found down there. Might want to check gamefaqs on me though, been a few years now...

The Chocobo race thing I can't really explain. You just start to learn "If I do this, that bird will go after the trainer and the other one I can just outrun." and "if I turn here, I can cut him off but I have to do it before this invisible wall" and it's very very unintuitive where those places are. If you can get through the race only getting hit by 1 bird most of the time, then it's just a matter of lucky balloon spawns.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 pm UTC

meh, I think I'll just take on the final bosses and come back to that later when I'm not as sick of FFX as I am now. Do FFX-2 and FFXII require that you do minigames to get the ultimate weapons?

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

meh, at least get Anima. That way if you get stuck, you can always summon your favorite fish mummy ;)

If you do, you can get yuna's weapon very easily too.

Ratio

Postby Ratio » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 pm UTC

Many years ago.. I got all the aeons and celestial wepons, haven't played it since, I later found that there was still one challenge left, the most powerful boss in the game was both optional and hidden, but I've long since lost my copy of the game.

It's the extras that make me really love Final fantasy, roll on 13.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

The final optional boss is fairly simple. Some of the others require more strategy but for the final optional boss in the Original/American/non-international version you just need:

Any 3 characters with:
-Their celestial weapons equipped
-auto-haste + auto-phoenix armor (you need a few phoenix downs obviously)
-255 strength (you may get away with less on some of the celestials)
-170 agility (I think it's 170. Maybe it's some other 200ish number)
-30 something accuracy (or whatever evasion nemesis has)
-quick hit learned
-enough MP for 20 quick hits each

And that's really it. HP doesn't matter, none of your other stats matter, etc.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:31 am UTC

By final optional boss, do you mean omega weapon?

Givenup

Postby Givenup » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:44 am UTC

mostly i herd/ saw FFx so yeah havnt played it in a realy long time but when i did it took SO LONG to get the omega wepions.
You dont hate the Style, Just create your own.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:22 am UTC

I assumed Ratio was referring to nemesis. Omega Weapon's not that secret a boss. The arena monsters are the real strong stuff in FFX.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:40 am UTC

yeah, I figured. Can't kill any of them at this point.

I might not even try for the celestials, I think I'll wait until I get the international version so I don't have to go through the pain all over again.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:20 am UTC

Omega Weapon was a joke, but I have yet to defeat any of the custom arena monsters. And I got Tidus' celestial weapon fairly easy, and I actually like it a lot, its really badass with his final overdrive. But yeah, most of the time I use custom weapons, the customizable armor is really useful. Like with Tidus I have auto-haste, and he attacks twice before anyone else, and auto-cure which is so useful so you don't have to spend time healing stupid stuff like poison.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

I skipped Lulu's and Tidus' celestials. They were stupid and unfun. As mosc says, Lulu does better with a custom weapon if you have the materials for it. Tidus I just *dealt* with and forged a decent weapon for him myself (I don't remember the details, but I know I put Break Damage Limit and Triple Overdrive on it).

In fact, I may have ended up not using either Auron's or Wakka's celestial either. I can't recall exactly.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:00 pm UTC

Wakka's celestial is particularly hard to replace since his 12x hitting overdrive does a lot less damage than normal. You really need inherent defense ignoring and 3.5x damage boost (or whatever it is) based on % hp. At 255 strength, it's turning a 15,000-20,000 damage hit into 99,999

And whither Lulu is "better off" or not with a pure caster weapon is debatable. Her celestial is still going to be better than anything else you could make at attacking. I know it's funny and all but lulu gets a strength stat just like everyone else and can easily do 99,999 from a quick hit just like everyone else. A custom weapon isn't going to do that to a high defense monster. Meanwhile her ultima will never get to 99,999 even with 255 magic power and the all-out caster weapon of BDL,Booster,Magic+20%,Magic+10%. Indeed "pure casters" are kind of useless. Your curaga's like 20k with that setup or something ridiculous. If you have BHPL and 99,999 hp, you can't even HEAL worth while.

Everyone debates abilities for armor but auto-haste and auto-phoenix are almost universally beloved. I can't see going without Break HP Limit either. Mostly because there's so much room on the grid, you might as well put HP spheres on it. Usually if you've got BHPL on there, you end up with auto-regen for your healing needs. The healing it gives is proportional to your max so with massive HP, it regens a lot. It's still kind of silly. Many people prefer auto-potion as opposed to BHPL, auto-regen. It kind of fills both rolls.

In the international version though, you get ribbon which most certainly you'd want on your armor ;)
Last edited by mosc on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:06 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bondidude

Postby Bondidude » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Dammit... Now I want to play FFX again...

Still not finished maxing out Lego Batman and Fable 2 comes out in a couple of weeks...

Grrr...
"Chess is such a difficult game. Sooo many pieces." - Rivers Cuomo, Chess

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Dammit, just figured out I can't play international on a North American PS3.

Oh well, the penance battle doesn't look too fun anyway.

Edit: Just did the lightning dodger. In retrospect it really wasn't that hard, but reall only requires a method you prefer. For me it was it was sitting close enough so that I can just focus on the corner of the television.

Allium Cepa

Postby Allium Cepa » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:29 am UTC

I think the hardest battles in the regular story were either the third Seymour fight, or the Yunalesca fight. Once you got in Sin, most of the bosses were a joke. Including Yu Yevon, he had like a million health or something, but did like no damage and if you cast zombie on him, his aides killed him for you.
Take me back to the day that I went blind, I would like to see your face for one last time.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:26 am UTC

Man, Seymour Flux was the hardest battle for me, whichever that is.

Yunalesca was annoying, but I just loved how badass all the characters are right before it. (Yay! Let's kill a God! Woohoo!). Even Wakka got into it.

I actually got everyone's celestial weapons except for Wakka's. Fuck Blitzball. I mostly like Yuna's and Lulu's because of the 1 MP cost thing. And Yuna's breaking the damage limit so I could just Holy Yu Yevon to death without even casting reflect on him to get his curagas.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

mosc

Postby mosc » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:44 am UTC

you do know you get an auto-casting auto-life on you for that fight, right? Short of stoning yourself on purpose or something, it's really impossible to loose... Jecht is the final boss of FFX

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:25 am UTC

mosc wrote:you do know you get an auto-casting auto-life on you for that fight, right? Short of stoning yourself on purpose or something, it's really impossible to loose... Jecht is the final boss of FFX

Durf. I am dumb. I mostly meant that it was fun to beat the crap out of Yu Yevon without casting reflect or zombie on him. For Jecht I just used on of Rikku's mix to get the crazy shield that included auto-life along with null-fire and null-water, or something like that. I can't remember its exact name for the life of me.

Edited for bad formatting.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

yukari koizumi

Postby yukari koizumi » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:50 am UTC

you have to pray to the fayths.....

fuck I was playing ffx but then I stopped for some reason... oh yeah because I got a ps3 ... man now i want to go back and play it where I left off....

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:I think the hardest battles in the regular story were either the third Seymour fight, or the Yunalesca fight. Once you got in Sin, most of the bosses were a joke. Including Yu Yevon, he had like a million health or something, but did like no damage and if you cast zombie on him, his aides killed him for you.

The first time I fought Yunalesca I died almost instantly. The second time I thought I'd be clever, and avoid the zombification... by casting Reflect.

Wow, was that a bad idea.
500%!

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

This thread made me load up my old game. I forgot about the niceness that is auto-protect on armors. So many monsters have "special" attacks that get around evasion and smack you.

My endgame armor was:
Break HP Limit
Auto-Haste
Auto-Phoenix
Auto-Protect

Although to tell you the truth, I'd probably have replaced auto-phoenix with auto-regen. With BHPL, you really shouldn't be dieing much.

BHPL itself though is kind of silly. I mean, granted you have a lot of grid to work with and it's easily doable but this is a much more direct approach to being invincible:
Auto-Haste
Auto-Phoenix
Auto-Protect
Auto-Potion

With 255 defense and auto-protect, it's going to be rare that anything gets overly nasty on you. Potions can be bribed in bulk quite easy so you end up with characters that don't mind taking damage but are nearly impossible to bring down.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Allium Cepa wrote:I think the hardest battles in the regular story were either the third Seymour fight, or the Yunalesca fight. Once you got in Sin, most of the bosses were a joke. Including Yu Yevon, he had like a million health or something, but did like no damage and if you cast zombie on him, his aides killed him for you.

I've always said that the ending cutscene for FFX starts as soon as Jecht's dead.

Yunalesca was hard at first, then I heard that holy would be useful, so I went and leveled until Yuna had holy. And you know what? I beat her down easily at that point.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:22 am UTC

I thought the yunalesca battle was pretty easy, even without holy. I only died once because I didn't know her third form casted mega-death twice. She hits for very little damage on the only "difficult" aspect of the battle is trying to manage keeping your guys zombified. Trying to use holy water after every hellbiter just wastes turns that could be used to damage yunalesca.

Seymour flux was friggin hard until I realized you could silence him which also meant that you could have protect up on everyone when he does cross-cutter or whatever that attack was. The rest of the battle is just praying that annihilation doesn't kill everyone.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:

I've always said that the ending cutscene for FFX starts as soon as Jecht's dead.

Yunalesca was hard at first, then I heard that holy would be useful, so I went and leveled until Yuna had holy. And you know what? I beat her down easily at that point.

I leveled up until Yuna and Lulu had Holy, and then gave them weapons modded for One MP Cost. It became one of the easier boss fights in the game.
500%!

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

Has anyone here actually beaten Penance? Or those damn dark aeons, for that matter?

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

rustedneurons wrote:Has anyone here actually beaten Penance? Or those damn dark aeons, for that matter?

They're only available in the international version which cannot be played on a US model PS2 so sadly no, I have not. The only thing that makes those fights any harder though is that they require more luck stat. Also, they nerfed quick hit considerably so you tend to rely more on your overpowered overdrives (Wakka/Tidus).

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

mosc wrote:They're only available in the international version which cannot be played on a US model PS2 so sadly no, I have not. The only thing that makes those fights any harder though is that they require more luck stat. Also, they nerfed quick hit considerably so you tend to rely more on your overpowered overdrives (Wakka/Tidus).

Ah, so luck is the key. I've since be able to get through most of the dark aeons, but to actually make the attacks connect with the others, even at 200+ accuracy, I'll need to raise my luck substantially.
How'd they nerf quick hit? Slower recovery time or something?

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

They doubled the recovery time and MP cost so it's not even half of what it was. It used to be a 1-recovery action with 170+ agility and haste. In the international version it's 2.

You'll find that in the international version, luck is much more important. Accuracy and evasion are not that useful in comparison. 255 luck goes a long way. That plus a tiny bit of accuracy. In the original version, 133 luck was plenty to max everything for comparison.

rustedneurons

Postby rustedneurons » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Looks like I'll be doing some fortune / luck sphere farming :D

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:17 am UTC

Wolf wrote:Man, Seymour Flux was the hardest battle for me, whichever that is.

seymour flux (the third seymour fight) made me restart the game and try again. true story.

edit - like full on new save slot. that fight was HARD.

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:16 am UTC

rustedneurons wrote:Looks like I'll be doing some fortune / luck sphere farming :D

To never miss anything hittable, evade everything evadable, and always crit anything critable, you need:
133 luck in the original version (base accuracy and evasion is sufficient)
230+ luck with a total of 290 luck+evasion in the international version (base accuracy is sufficient)

Senefen

Postby Senefen » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:08 am UTC

You know that most people just don't get the right? They finish the game, get all the espers, play something else.
Your sainity need not die! See the light! The power of Christ compels you! *throws holy water*

I finished, got all the espers and I think that's it. Yuna is so rigged by the end :P
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Senefen wrote:You know that most people just don't get the right? They finish the game, get all the espers, play something else.
Your sainity need not die! See the light! The power of Christ compels you! *throws holy water*

I finished, got all the espers and I think that's it. Yuna is so rigged by the end :P

Espers? This isn't FFVI! Begone wit ye!
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Return to “Gaming”