The Logical and Ethical Shortcomings of the Pokémon Games...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Re: The Logical and Ethical Shortcomings of the Pokémon Games...

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:27 am UTC

*skips pages 2-4*

Why does the bike cost 1,000,000 yen? It's a motorbike. That's why. A really sweet electric solar-powered motorbike designed by the world's greatest origami artist, that can fold up and fit in your backpack.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:29 am UTC

I always wanted (and still very much do) a VR Pokémon game. Think about it. Weep for its lack of existence.
Jesus Christ you have confused me

a386

Postby a386 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

i always wanted a pokemon MMO, where the only other trainers you fight are other players. otherwise it's all done in the style of a regular pokemon game, linear progression through gyms and tall grass and shit. you can also trade pokemon on the fly.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:09 am UTC

a386 wrote:i always wanted a pokemon MMO, where the only other trainers you fight are other players. otherwise it's all done in the style of a regular pokemon game, linear progression through gyms and tall grass and shit. you can also trade pokemon on the fly.

I always thought it'd be cool to have a Poképarty, where whenever someone it facing someone else, they have to battle wirelessly.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:52 am UTC

Aah, found my old purple gameboy.

How the hell do I have 4 Lugias?
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Zak

Postby Zak » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:58 am UTC

The real question is: Why aren't you playing Red/Blue version?

Huh!?
*waggles eyebrows*

Binks

Postby Binks » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

On stealing Pokemon, isn't that the entire point of the Orre games, with Team Snagem stealing pokemon or something?

Besides, in the movie Mewtwo caught pokeballs whole, all it did was piss off the characters.

Manial

Postby Manial » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:Aah, found my old purple gameboy.

I recently found my gameboy colour too, complete with Pokemon Gold.

So I started playing around with my saved game, breeding, training boxed pokemon and so on, when it hit me. Gold has an internal clock... so my boxed pokemon have just been sitting in a computer... for the last seven years.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Manial wrote:

So I started playing around with my saved game, breeding, training boxed pokemon and so on, when it hit me. Gold has an internal clock... so my boxed pokemon have just been sitting in a computer... for the last seven years.

But they still love you, Manial...
They've been waiting for you, in that box, and they never stopped loving you.

No matter how long I leave Roserade, she's gonna keep up those 2 big hearts, and that creeps me out.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Ahh, the wonders of badges. They may be stinkin', but we do need them to get to the elite four.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I think Red and Blue had some huge internal clock problems that fucked things up after a while, but I guess they fixed that with later versions.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:34 am UTC

It probably had to do with Y2K compatibility.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

OmegaLord
LXIX

Postby OmegaLord » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:16 pm UTC

Gold/Silver's internal clock was terrible, and there was no way to fix it so you couldn't get things only available at night and the like.
So what do you guys know about *glances down at sheet* the kingdoms of orgasms
but I just don't see why someone would tape themselves together.
Bear Police wrote:I got Ready to Die today. Took me too long. Great record.

Manial

Postby Manial » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:22 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Manial wrote:

But they still love you, Manial...
They've been waiting for you, in that box, and they never stopped loving you.

No matter how long I leave Roserade, she's gonna keep up those 2 big hearts, and that creeps me out.
:cry: I've never had a game make me feel so guilty. Maybe that's why Pikachu never wanted to go into his ball. There's a chance he might never come out of it again.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

I've never played it but I heard that animal crossing mentions when you've been away for a while. I know that my brain age game will tell me when I've been away for a long time. I can feel the guilt beams crushing down on me!

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:32 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I've never played it but I heard that animal crossing mentions when you've been away for a while. I know that my brain age game will tell me when I've been away for a long time. I can feel the guilt beams crushing down on me!

Quite a lot is affected by the internal clock in Animal Crossing, actually. Your neighbors will remark on it, your mailbox will be stuffed full of letters, and there will be weeds EVERYWHERE (because you're the only person in the town who isn't a lazy asshole. Well, you're *potentially* the only person in town who isn't a lazy asshole).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

gamerguyal

Postby gamerguyal » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:11 pm UTC

Another thing that's weird about Pokemon is that you and your rival are the only people to ever set foot in the Gym besides the trainers you face in there. With all the other trainers out there, isn't somebody going to at least attempt to accomplish something? Also, when you defeat Team Rocket in a Pokemon battle they just run away. They're a bunch of adults, and your character is just a kid. One would think that they could use a different approach to defeat you.

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:40 am UTC

gamerguyal wrote:Another thing that's weird about Pokemon is that you and your rival are the only people to ever set foot in the Gym besides the trainers you face in there. With all the other trainers out there, isn't somebody going to at least attempt to accomplish something? Also, when you defeat Team Rocket in a Pokemon battle they just run away. They're a bunch of adults, and your character is just a kid. One would think that they could use a different approach to defeat you.

That could be because one word from the kid, and their pet, some of which could make a grizzly bear stop in its tracks, will rip the adult to shreds. Note also that the kids pokemon just beat his own, leaving no defense between sharp claws and his soft flesh. Personally, between running away or being torched, I would run.
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:35 pm UTC

You forget how strong pokemon really are. When you beat his pokemon, you're essentially disarming the guy. And you're holding a gun to his face. A gun that shoots fire and lightning and lazer beams
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:43 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:How the hell do I have 4 Lugias?

I think, when you move a pokemon in the boxes, when it's saving, if you cut the power, you end up with a the same pokemon in 2 boxes.
That's how I stopped myself running out of rare candy at one point.

(Only in G/S, and I can't remember exactly how to do it, but you're essentially getting 2 identical pokemon holding identical stuff... whatever they can hold...)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:20 am UTC

There's not much more to it than that that I remember. You cut it when it's saving. Infinite master balls.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Does it work on Crystal also?
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:54 am UTC

I'm pretty sure it works with RBY, though only for duplicating Pokemon.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:22 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'm pretty sure it works with RBY, though only for duplicating Pokemon.

I've never tried it on RBY, but the transfer trick certainly works for duplicating Pokemon - cut the power at the right time during a transfer, and the data goes through but doesn't have time to save that you've lost a Pokemon.

The only way to duplicate items in RBY is indeed the MissingNo trick, which does corrupt your game file. I once withdrew a pokemon with a Mew picture from the computer. I forget what it actually was - something normal.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:46 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I'm pretty sure it works with RBY, though only for duplicating Pokemon.

I've never tried it on RBY, but the transfer trick certainly works for duplicating Pokemon - cut the power at the right time during a transfer, and the data goes through but doesn't have time to save that you've lost a Pokemon.

The only way to duplicate items in RBY is indeed the MissingNo trick, which does corrupt your game file. I once withdrew a pokemon with a Mew picture from the computer. I forget what it actually was - something normal.

I did A LOT of MissingNo when I had my Red A LOT and I never had problems with my save ever, guess I was lucky.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

wst

Postby wst » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Does it work on Crystal also?
I don't think Crystal has the massive 'saving... don't turn off the power' delay that G/S had. If it has that delay, it should work though. Might corrupt save. Though I did that one a lot back in the day with no problems ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Amoeba

Postby Amoeba » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 am UTC

A logical shortcoming of the Pokémon games: if a wild pokémon faints, surely it is easier to catch rather than now impossible?
Jesus Christ you have confused me

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

It's possible the pokemon soiled itself at that point, and no one wants that.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:It's possible the pokemon soiled itself at that point, and no one wants that.
Also, who wants a loser pokemon like that?

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:31 am UTC

a386 wrote:and then someday meowth will head the pokemon liberators front because he understands civilization, and the pokemon will rise up and demand rights and start having translators and shit.
I... have read this fanfic. No, really, exactly that, except Meowth et al have some slightly more, er, revolutionary ideals. I was quite a fan when I was like twelve. It ends... pretty well... except for a couple deaths along the way.

fishyfish777 wrote:Because cute, adorable animals forcefully enslaving human beings and making them beat the crap out of each other wouldn't make much of a show :roll:
... That fanfic too. Um. I, er, just have a good memory. :oops:

Amoeba wrote:A logical shortcoming of the Pokémon games: if a wild pokémon faints, surely it is easier to catch rather than now impossible?
Maybe they vanish into hammerspace? Or maybe everything in the series does that-- vanishes to a safe place when it's beaten. It'd explain how you always just wake up at the nearest Pokemon Center with no memory... unless there's random good samaritans who pick you up, carry you there, and wander off before you wake up... though you never can know exactly what happens after you "black out"... And how come you're the only one who does that? Everyone else who gets beaten just stands around exactly where they were, saying they'll beat you next time... Maybe it's a psychological problem... It can't be good that your Pokemon getting beaten sends you into a dissociative fugue state... Huh, maybe that's why your mom's so eager to get you out of the house...

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 am UTC

A logical shortcoming of the Pokémon games: if a wild pokémon faints, surely it is easier to catch rather than now impossible?

Maybe they vanish into hammerspace? Or maybe everything in the series does that-- vanishes to a safe place when it's beaten. It'd explain how you always just wake up at the nearest Pokemon Center with no memory... unless there's random good samaritans who pick you up, carry you there, and wander off before you wake up... though you never can know exactly what happens after you "black out"... And how come you're the only one who does that? Everyone else who gets beaten just stands around exactly where they were, saying they'll beat you next time... Maybe it's a psychological problem... It can't be good that your Pokemon getting beaten sends you into a dissociative fugue state... Huh, maybe that's why your mom's so eager to get you out of the house...

Everybody knows Nurse Joy finds them and then heals them at the local Pokemon Center. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW

wst

Postby wst » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:26 pm UTC

Why is it that people always stay in the same place, all day and all night? Don't they sleep/eat/get bored? Also, who heals their 'mon?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

ameretrifle wrote:though you never can know exactly what happens after you "black out"... And how come you're the only one who does that? Everyone else who gets beaten just stands around exactly where they were, saying they'll beat you next time... Maybe it's a psychological problem... It can't be good that your Pokemon getting beaten sends you into a dissociative fugue state... Huh, maybe that's why your mom's so eager to get you out of the house...
That would be an interesting twist: when you get beaten and try to find the last trainer you fought after blacking out, he's nowhere to be found, and there's just this strange red stain on the ground where he was standing...

tzar1990

Postby tzar1990 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 pm UTC

Actually, I find the easiest way to get Energy Ball on a Vulpix is to breed it with a Smeargle (which can just Paint it off something that already knows it.) Plus, that way you can also teach Vulpix hypnosis which tends to be fun...

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:06 am UTC

This seems to be meant for the other thread, but who cares?

What exactly would Smeargle be Sketch-ing from? Lotad's the only one who learns it that you can find in the wild and that's in its 40s. Can you even find them that high?
ImageImage
^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW ^NSFW

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:08 am UTC

Mr. Lostman wrote:This seems to be meant for the other thread, but who cares?

What exactly would Smeargle be Sketch-ing from? Lotad's the only one who learns it that you can find in the wild and that's in its 40s.

Best to use friends to Sketch w/ Smeargles.

That is another restriction of the game I don't like, that you have to have friends with the other games to get anywhere close to all the pokemon, hell even to get all the pokemon you even like you'd probably have to trade or some crap.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mr. Lostman

Postby Mr. Lostman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:10 am UTC

I find it odd that during the Silph Co invasion, your rival waits just a few doors away from Giovanni. He could be helping you. Instead, he wants to fight! WHY?! and what's he doing there anyways?
ImageImage

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:55 am UTC

I've always found it odd that you can use Fly with a Pidgey. That itty bitty thing can carry you across the entire damned world with no sweat. Seems abusive if you ask me.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Cynical Idealist

Postby Cynical Idealist » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:25 am UTC

ameretrifle wrote:
a386 wrote:and then someday meowth will head the pokemon liberators front because he understands civilization, and the pokemon will rise up and demand rights and start having translators and shit.
I... have read this fanfic. No, really, exactly that, except Meowth et al have some slightly more, er, revolutionary ideals. I was quite a fan when I was like twelve. It ends... pretty well... except for a couple deaths along the way.

I remember reading that back in...must have been around third grade.

That was not a good find.
The internet removes the two biggest aids in detecting sarcasm:
1)The tone of voice
2)the assumption that the other person is sane
Elvish Pillager wrote:See? All the problems in our society are caused by violent video games, like FarmVille.

paradoxeater

Postby paradoxeater » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:13 am UTC

what happens in the last episode of pokemon

Return to “Gaming”