Nitpicky design failure (Merge'd Game Mechanics)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Link

Re: Nitpicky design failure (Merge'd Game Mechanics)

Postby Link » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 pm UTC

-When a dialogue or loading animation slows you down unnecessarily. The Zelda games are guilty of this, as is Metroid Prime with those annoying elevators.
-Crappy AIs. Almost every game with any form of NPC suffers from this; the AI is usually either incredibly stupid (NPCs wandering around aimlessly, enemies with a 10 degree field of view, continuing to use an attack the player is immune to...) or nearly omniscient (knowing where the player is hiding, immediately countering the player's attack style without delay...), with any form of middle ground being very rare.
-As mentioned, enemies that hurt you by just touching you is also incredibly lame (unless it's something that visibly exudes acid, poison, flames, electricity or something of the sort).
-Unavoidable and unblockable attacks with devastating power. The Megaman games have a lot of those.
-Unprotected humanoids surviving contact with lava. In real life, even coming close to lava will burn the skin clean off your body, but some game designers seem to think taking a swim in the stuff is perfectly reasonable.
-Parts of games that were clearly rushed. It's not uncommon to find excellent games that have one or few areas that have more bugs than all the rest of the game, or that are logistic nightmares.
-Invincible civilians that can still be attacked (especially in Zelda games). If I swing my sword at a monster, it dies, but if I swing it at a villager, the blade goes right through them as if they weren't there. Such games should either stop you from using your weapon if you would hit a civilian, or let you really attack them.
-Discontinuous storylines. Some games let you kill an NPC, and then in a later dialogue it appears the character is completely OK.
-Discontinuity in deaths. In many games, some NPCs respawn when they die, while others die permanently.
-Lame storylines. "The princess has been kidnapped!" OK, but why? This really needs no further explanation.
-Shitty cameras in third-person 3D or 2.5D games. Either consider making your game first-person or let the player manipulate the camera. There's always bound to be at least one point in the game where the automatic camera placement cocks up and gameplay becomes unnecessarily annoying.
-Single-player games with no pause button. Not all of us use bedpans for chairs, y'know.
-Complete lack of Save-functionality, or a heavily borked one. As per the above, some people have other things to do than play a game all day long. The borked save-functionality is common in Zelda games, where you respawn in a specific location (e.g. at the start of a dungeon) if you save and quit.
-Grindfests. Need I say more?

Those are some of my main gripes that decrease the quality of games, and even turn some otherwise excellent ones into steaming piles of guano.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:36 pm UTC

Curse you, Mariokart Wii!! I was racing on Ghost House 2 and in the lead when I got hit by a red shell. Fair enough. The 2nd place guy then runs into me, ramming me off the edge of the track. OK, not much fun, but it's alright. Lakitu fishes me out and drops me back on the track... right in front of a back marker who promptly runs into me, sending me flying off the track again - GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

_Big_Mac_

Postby _Big_Mac_ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

I'm surprised nobody mentioned No twinkie (http://www.designersnotebook.com/Design ... tabase.htm), the compendium of most common game design errors.

gabrielkfl

Ever had a piece of dialog screw up the moment?

Postby gabrielkfl » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Ever happened to you that you're going through one of the most epic scenes in the entire game and suddently a character says something that totally ruins the whole scene?

I was just recently playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and came across this scene:

<WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53bXpBv6ySw
[-]>+++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<.+++++.---..>+++[<+++++++>-]<.[-]>+++++++++[<+++++++++++>-]<-.>++++[<+++++>-]<-.---.-----------.--.+++++++++++++.[-]>++++++[<++++++++++>-]<+++.
dam 255 char limit

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Fighting games with obtuse control configuration (Street Fighter IV, I'm looking at you). With players rotating, using different controllers, this really becomes a pain. There should be an option to change controls with a SSF2THDR/MvC2HD style layout before entering gameplay. No time-eating button check rounds needed.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Manial

Re: Ever had a piece of dialog screw up the moment?

Postby Manial » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:51 am UTC

gabrielkfl wrote:Ever happened to you that you're going through one of the most epic scenes in the entire game and suddently a character says something that totally ruins the whole scene?

I was just recently playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days and came across this scene:

<WARNING: MAJOR SPOILERS>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53bXpBv6ySw
But who else will he have ice cream with?!?! Can't you see the tragedy in having to eat ice cream alone?

Return to “Gaming”