Cool games on the interweb redux

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Qwert

Re: Cool games on the interweb redux

Postby Qwert » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:30 am UTC

rtg928 wrote:Does anyone know how to download flash and java based games? I want to play some of these games when I am offline.

I just use the little "Block" tab addblock plus adds to flash/java elements. The custom field has the exact address of the file.
2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
- Grabel's Law
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:08 am UTC

Robot wants Icecream

The pinnacle of the "Robot Wants" series, and I think the best by far. It's a small Metroidvania type game.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Madness: Premeditation, using characters and a similar graphics style as Madness: Interactive. You get to see a level, then time freezes. You then get a certain amout of time you can run around. After you did that, you get to see your route, and you can pick points on your route where you want to shoot in a player-defined direction.
Gun upgrades and bosses included.

Could've done with some more levels, maybe a level editor, and the option to buy the same gun twice so you can duel weild one type of gun.

I enjoyed the whole game immensely, and can reccomend it to anyone with a love for awesome.
Ptolom wrote:penis

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:View page source, find the .swf entry for flash games, I think .jar for java, may be something different. Load those in a downloading program (as your browser is probably set to automatically open them, not download them) and off you go.
A good way to download them via browser is just to add a <a href=GAMEURL>link</a> into the source, view the page you just modified, and right-click -> save linked content.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

Or load the .swf url, then do File->Save As...
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

dubsola

Postby dubsola » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:09 pm UTC

Come on, we need more recommendations!

Radio Zed amused me for a little while. Shoot zombies, protect your radio transmitter, buy guns and what not. It's not amazing, but it's better than a languishing thread.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:21 pm UTC

Hydorah. It's basically Gradius with different levels and a whole lot more of them.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

A zombie game but with a fresh new type of gameplay. Lots of fun and pretty challenging.

Road of the dead

EDIT: Also Lucky Tower lite on actual "game" but pretty funny to go through.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:56 pm UTC

Why is Lucky Tower not excactly a game? I thought it was pretty cool by the way!

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:18 am UTC

I said lite on game, not "no game". As in 80% of the game is opening random chosen doors and watching funny cut scenes. That said I really liked it as a whole, so I think it's a good game.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:14 am UTC

My apologies. But yes, I really liked Lucky Tower as a whole.
"I'm too handsome to diiieeeeeeee..."

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:13 am UTC

King of Bridges, a game of deductive reasoning that gets pretty damn tricky some time around level 17. I almost posted this in logic puzzles instead of here.

EDIT: Oh apparently is just a mediocre interface for a Japanese puzzle called Bridges or Hashiwokakero. Oh well it's still pretty fun.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:40 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:King of Bridges, a game of deductive reasoning that gets pretty damn tricky some time around level 17. I almost posted this in logic puzzles instead of here.

EDIT: Oh apparently is just a mediocre interface for a Japanese puzzle called Bridges or Hashiwokakero. Oh well it's still pretty fun.

At 19 now. Good fun, reminds me of the way I solve sudokus >_<

edit:
21 made me take a break for tonight JEEEEZ
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:03 am UTC

A Worms-like in space, Gravitee Wars. Pretty fun, although it got a little old by the very end.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:13 pm UTC

Wizard's Run, a game with a bit of an arcade feel to it, where you are a wizard, and you have to kill some boss dude, who in turn tries to kill you with his minions. Upgrades and the like are available. Kept me amused for a little while, thought I might share it.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:King of Bridges, a game of deductive reasoning that gets pretty damn tricky some time around level 17. I almost posted this in logic puzzles instead of here.

Ah, I like it. Got to level 29 before Flash froze on me, then when I killed the tab, it hadn't saved any progress. Great.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:55 pm UTC

Armed with Wings 3. If you know the series there's not much to say, and if you don't... it's pretty hard to explain.

Rek

Postby Rek » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:37 am UTC

Words Win Wars

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Kinda neat, but it's about as much a "game" as is "Throw a Brick off of a High Place". The latter is fun, but there's not much strategic depth to (1) go to a high place and (2) throw a brick off of it. Similarly, this game doesn't actually have any challenge to it. It's nearly inevitable that you win; the *only* think working against you is happiness, and it's super-trivial to maintain (I didn't drop below 80% the whole game, and I stayed at a constant 100% once I realized you could just buy more HR people). There's never any chance to run out of money, as the sole money drain is you buying more things for the office, and everything you buy is useful forever (well, except for elevators, but you just gradually trade up into better transit options; they don't "run down" or anything).

There also doesn't seem to be any real reason to get more than 20 offices or so, as that's more than enough to keep everything clean and repaired, everyone happy, and enough workers, accountants, and scientists to keep you full of money and constantly researching.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Romio00

Postby Romio00 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 pm UTC

there is a great game its name Sift Heads World Act 6 - Illicit Association. I advise everyone to play :)

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:

Kinda neat, but it's about as much a "game" as is "Throw a Brick off of a High Place". The latter is fun, but there's not much strategic depth to (1) go to a high place and (2) throw a brick off of it. Similarly, this game doesn't actually have any challenge to it. It's nearly inevitable that you win; the *only* think working against you is happiness, and it's super-trivial to maintain (I didn't drop below 80% the whole game, and I stayed at a constant 100% once I realized you could just buy more HR people). There's never any chance to run out of money, as the sole money drain is you buying more things for the office, and everything you buy is useful forever (well, except for elevators, but you just gradually trade up into better transit options; they don't "run down" or anything).
Or, you can work on optimizing it.

Spoiler:
I split my tower into 6x3 office chunks, with only one type of person in each office. 4 of these, with three blocks of [cafe/gym][restroom][office] seperating them makes exactly 300 people.

current makeup that I use:

Code: Select all

[1 super  ][2 HR     ][3 research]
[5 workers][4 account][3 janitors]

In the first block I substitue an IT office for a researcher, and make up the difference on the cafe/gym/restroom/office floor. (and then add a few more researchers on the next floors up.)

other protips include:
*the fact that you only need 4 IT guys for a 300 people building. Seriously. Just one office. (Note: You'll have to hire/fire an extra guy to get that accomplishment)
*multiple skyhooks/firepoles/lift tubes will NOT help unless your building is excessively wide. there's no wait time to get on these like there is elevators.
*upgrade your IT people and researchers as you place them. researchers, especially. That last research thing is a bitch.

Using this strat, I just finished all the (completable) objectives on day 25. I didn't do any office upgrading or any promotions other than IT, Researchers, and as required for progression.

notes:
*I haven't found the bottom limit on HR people yet. gonna try 1hr/6 workers and see how that works out.
*Gonna try keeping on top of the office upgrades this time instead of focusing on building straight up. that said, by focusing on building up instead of upgrading/promoting i found that money quickly started spilling in faster than i could spend it. (The last thing I waited to buy was a lifttube, after that no money crunch at all.)
*I'm not sure I have enough janitors. I mean, everything seems clean, but my metric was usually 'if they make it back to their desks before they get off'. (That's also how I figured out how 4 IT guys can do it. They're standing at their desk most of the day.)

Xanthir wrote:There also doesn't seem to be any real reason to get more than 20 offices or so, as that's more than enough to keep everything clean and repaired, everyone happy, and enough workers, accountants, and scientists to keep you full of money and constantly researching.
One of the achievements is 300 people / 75 offices.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

K.O.L.M., a platformer escape game, wherein you play as a robot that has to collect his powerups. It's cute though. It's a lot like like the "Robot wants ..." series. I really liked it alot. Kept me playing for about an hour. :)

I Know Your Name

Postby I Know Your Name » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 am UTC

You have to burn the rope. Now. http://www.kongregate.com/games/Mazapan/you-have-to-burn-the-rope

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:13 am UTC

... and that's what we get for being clever. Though in fairness, it is a dead link now.

(See : You Must Ignite the Length of Twisted Fibers With Little Compressive Strength)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 am UTC

I've got two. One is an oldie but goodie's sequel. Stick RPG2 and this game which I'm amazed hasn't been posted yet. It's the most addictive game ever. Solipkier Have fun.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:37 am UTC

Mentioned in passing in another thread I found myself playing through every one of the Games of Choice. I recommend Vampire, Romance and Broadsides. Dragon was obviously their first game and it shows. Also be warned that Vampire ends fairly suddenly with "chapter 2 coming soon". Romance does too, but the end of chapter 1 is a nice place to stop anyway.

My comments after playing a few times:
Spoiler:
I was impressed with how much illusion of freedom they give you and how little freedom you actually had which is only evident after multiple playthroughs. The games generally boil down to, Pick your strengths, pick your goal, now make choices that you think bring you closer to your goal. Which is generally fun but sometimes the choices are obvious such as, "I've maxed charm at every opportunity so I'll choose all the "be manipulative" choices, oh surprise surprise it worked."

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

Not really so much a game as a flashbased experiment with genetic algorithms.

Fascinating though:

http://megaswf.com/simple_serve/102223/

Updated more awesome version:
http://www.boxcar2d.com/
Last edited by el_loco_avs on Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

theplague42

Postby theplague42 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:48 am UTC

Bookmarking. Some awesome games I would like to remember.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 am UTC

Click this link! No time to explain!

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 am UTC

BoomFrog wrote:Click this link! No time to explain!

hahahahaahahaha that was great :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:17 am UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:

Did you find the two teleporters?

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:
el_loco_avs wrote:

Did you find the two teleporters?

The dinosaur one I did find!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

korora

Postby korora » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:41 pm UTC

Captain Forever is a space dogfighting game in which you build your ship out of the wreckage of your defeated enemies, terrified that something will fly up and kill you while you're rearranging your parts, or fly up and shoot half your ship off, leaving you limping around in unbalanced little circles.
Last.fm|Steam|Xbox LIVE|23||
[8:22pm] cf: you know what i like?
[8:23pm] Tigerlion: what do you like, CF?
[8:23pm] cf: you guys
[8:24pm] cf: man...out of all the things that could have come to my head...that was by far the lamest

spupy

Postby spupy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:34 pm UTC

I was going to post Canabalt but of course everyone knows it already.

Can anyone recommend me a game that is very fast and requires mad reflexes? Canabalt does kind of, but it's too simple.
There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023 by using their fingers.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

The game I helped make in my game design class is up on Kongregate now, and we're trying to get into the Unity Game Contest finalists, so check it out if you can, here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/HarbingerGames/stay-in-the-light.

It a side scrolling platformer, starts of basic, but gets harder. It's a little like Limbo mixed with a light manipulation game.

@spupy: How about Solipskier?

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 am UTC

Man I'm addicted to Robot Unicorn Attack (Heavy Metal version). I'm sure its been posted here before.
I write a blog rant here.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:37 am UTC

Rebuild. A zombie themed turn based strategy game. Normal was too easy but nightmare was an actual challenge which was quite fun.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

spupy wrote:I was going to post Canabalt but of course everyone knows it already.

Can anyone recommend me a game that is very fast and requires mad reflexes? Canabalt does kind of, but it's too simple.

There's a decent game just called "Reflex" (i think reflex 3 is out now). I would get you the URL but I'm at work now :( but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

The Man with the Invisible Trousers. Best described as a Shift-like gameplay, with gravity mind puzzles thingies. It was fun.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 pm UTC

el_loco_avs wrote:Not really so much a game as a flashbased experiment with genetic algorithms.

Fascinating though:

http://megaswf.com/simple_serve/102223/

Updated more awesome version:
http://www.boxcar2d.com/

my friend Catherine likes this game a lot! :shock:
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Return to “Gaming”