STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Korrente

Re: STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Postby Korrente » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Far as I know installing the Complete mods won't mess up your saves. Be sure to backup the original files. I forgot to and wanted to install a different mod, but I'm using STEAM which will take ages to re-load the game...

GenericPseudonym

Postby GenericPseudonym » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:
GenericPseudonym wrote:Shadow of Chernobyl (I got that and CoP on steam, but I refuse to play the sequel until I beat this)

Just to make sure you know, Clear Sky fits in between the two of those.

I realize that, but the bundle that went on sale on steam was just those two, for whatever reason...

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Clear Sky... Some people like it but in my opinion it's crap. The story isn't important (or good) and I don't like the gameplay. CoP is the best, SoC the second best.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:31 pm UTC

For the first time ever in a Stalker game, I actually need more money than I have. I want to buy the exo suit from duty but my lord its expensive, and the guy screws me so hard when it comes to selling. Sniper rifle worth 15.5k? Sure have 1.2k for it -_- Also upgrading equipment is expensive D:

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Well, the first game was a bit of a joke in that regard. I desperately hoped for something half-decent to dump my money into for most of the game, only to be told in the ending sequence that I'm a capitalist pig.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

I had the exact same thing. Was like "aaww I'm not capitalist. Just an RPG nut. How can you expect me not to hoard everything"

Dunno, if you've played CS but if you want to upgrade things to the fullest, which in honesty isn't necessary but I'm just completest like that, you'll need a lot of cash.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 am UTC

Sorry about the necro, but it is the 25th anniversary of the accident at the Chenobryl NPP and I feel some STALKER love is in order.

Goldstein wrote:Well, the first game was a bit of a joke in that regard. I desperately hoped for something half-decent to dump my money into for most of the game, only to be told in the ending sequence that I'm a capitalist pig.

Sokh wrote:I had the exact same thing. Was like "aaww I'm not capitalist. Just an RPG nut. How can you expect me not to hoard everything"

There are actually multiple endings to the game depending on choices made throughout the game. I got that ending too because the economy really breaks about halfway into the game. Then went on to play the other two games and am now replaying SoC for the true ending as is confirmed as canon by the third game.

My impressions of each of the games in short:
SoC: buggy. After patches got better. The atmosphere was amazingly done in this one, but the gameplay (especially the gunplay) is not quite solid

CS: somehow more buggy. Still bad after patches with the quicksave function seemingly broken. It is definitely the empier strikes back of this series; good, but nowhere near the greatness of the other two. It introduced many new features and many of them didn't work. At least they tried. Also the ending was terrible. It was obvious that they cut something big from it because of deadlines.

CoP: definitely the most solid game in the series. Actually optimized and almost none of the bugs that plagued the other two games. It still feels like it's missing something that SoC and CS had though. Imho the zone feels empty in this game. It doesn't have the creepy atmosphere the other ones had. Also HOWDY HO and ALOHA BROTHER really seems out of place to me.

I am currently running through SoC again with Complete for the ending and plan on installing AMK for a much more difficult and diverse playthrough after that.

Oh, here is a vid of me doing the first bloodsucker bit in SoC with pretty graphics and a complete underestimation of my throwing arm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtuwjYLqPo&hd=1

Good hunting stalkers.

Larry

Postby Larry » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:05 am UTC

I've been thinking of necro-ing this thread too.
I finished my first run of SoC with Complete 2009 about a month ago. Started again recently with AMK, and I'm having a blast. Love love love how easy it is to configure AMK through the installer.

I found complete to be a bit too easy. The realistic weapons, increased stamina and increased weight limit made it too easy to carry around heaps of guns & ammo, and most firefights were over really quickly. Ammo conservation was a non-issue. It made the game less about stalking and more about twitchy shooting.

With that in mind I installed AMK, got gibbed instantly by an invisible anomaly while *following* the 3 stalkers to the bandit camp for the first mission, then died 10 or more times on the first goddamn mission. I think I've got my zone legs now, I'm not dying so much and have made the anomalies visible. I think they're more visually subtle than in Vanilla/Complete, so that's working pretty well.

Time to go see what's lurking underneath Agroprom...

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

iamevn wrote:Sorry about the necro, but it is the 25th anniversary of the accident at the Chenobryl NPP and I feel some STALKER love is in order.

http://xkcd.com/891/
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Well, the first game was a bit of a joke in that regard. I desperately hoped for something half-decent to dump my money into for most of the game, only to be told in the ending sequence that I'm a capitalist pig.

All of the
Spoiler:
wishmaker
endings are pretty horrible for your character.

Spoiler:
The two true endings work out better, though.(Meet with guide, find the decryptor, break into the coded door at pripyat and confront c-con)

Arabascan

Postby Arabascan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

I played through SoC for the first time today. Just with the 1.0[...]05 patch (wanted to install the repair patch but was buggy). Yeah, it sucks that you can't repair ammo. And it becomes easy after a while. The gameplay of CoP is much better. But the atmosphere and the story are amazing.

I really hope that they will make a STALKER game with the gameplay of CoP and the atmosphere of SoC. Because... SoC had this giant world, so much possibilities to interact with the events in the zone (however it sucked that you can't get to the bar if you help the Freedom Army). The game is just fantastic.
"Everyone has his price. Mine is a clean conscience."

If I make any spelling or grammar mistakes, just tell me (if you stay polite).
(Edit:Or if I write anything stupid.)

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Arabascan wrote:however it sucked that you can't get to the bar if you help the Freedom Army

You can do it the same way you can get past that bridge in the Cordon if you didn't want to use the scary lightning tunnel and didn't notice the lack of fence up the right embankment and don't like to bribe people: with lead force. (and lots of quick saves :D)

Also I am watching a mod called Narodnaya Soljanka that is very much like AMK's mechanics with a fuckhuge map that includes most of the stuff from the other two games plus more, and tons of new features. (fair warning, the spoilered image is 2051x5819 so most of the right side will get cut off)

Spoiler:

The only problem is that last time I tried to install it, I died constantly and the loading screens took about 5 minutes. I am going to retry it when I have either upgraded processor to an i7 or just get better at handling myself in the zone.

Link to english translation, mod, and patches download is [here] but it is over 4.3 gigs to download and 12 once extracted.

kimailis

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Postby kimailis » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:20 am UTC

first of all: sorry if this subject was already brought up.

so, do you like the game(s)? what do you think about the upcoming s.t.a.l.k.e.r 2? what are your expectations? fav. moments?

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:36 am UTC

You're sorry if whether or not people like the game has already been brought up in a thread about the game?
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:59 am UTC

looks like it was a new thread that was then merged.

iamevn

Postby iamevn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:59 pm UTC

GSC was closed, all employers are fired. Stalker 2 will never be released. I have that depression feel

Somebody with an IP pointing to GSC posted this this morning on krautchan

GSC'S twitter initially denied it, but that post has been deleted now.

also
http://galyonkin.com/2011/12/09/gsc-zakryilas/
http://ukranews.com/ru/news/ukraine/2011/12/09/59663

Things don't look good for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

:(

Edit: Here's an article from PC Gamer and in english summarizing the situation as of right now:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/09/gsc-closure-rumoured/
Spoiler:
PC Gamer wrote:A Ukranian news site is reporting that the developers of Stalker and Stalker 2, GSC have shut down their studio. An “informed source” told them that founder and CEO, Sergei Grigorovich made the announcement at a staff meeting, saying that the company was closing because of unspecified “personal reasons.” RPS spotted a tweet from the company denying that GSC has been closed, but that has since been deleted. If true, it would be a sudden and very sad turn of events. We’ll know what’s happening for certain when GSC make official comment.

Return to “Gaming”