Mount&Blade

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SurgicalSteel

Re: Mount&Blade

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

Thanks to the both of you (again!). Tactics would explain a lot, since I believe mine is at about 1. Guess I should pump some points into that.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:06 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
Goldstein wrote:I always thought you could access your inventory in a battle from a box at your starting location, but there's been a lot of stuff written over the last page that suggests you can't do this in a siege. So, uh.. I wanted to offer that as advice, but I don't think it's applicable. Investigate.

Already done. The box is there at the start of battles, but not at the start of sieges. That's really annoying when I forget to switch out my lance for extra arrows.

On a different note - is there any way to increase the size of battles? Last night I got into a 300 vs 300 slugfest, which ended up being about 14 different battles. It gets a little annoying chopping up small groups of enemies. Even worse is that the last 2-5 enemies are always on horseback and they're riding around in circles - so I have to chase them down on opposite sides of the map.

Yo.

Go here. If your computer can handle it, of course. 300 vs 300 at once is kind of crazy awesome.

Note that this may make you get slaughtered during sieges.
Last edited by Shivahn on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:04 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Thanks to the both of you (again!). Tactics would explain a lot, since I believe mine is at about 1. Guess I should pump some points into that.

Nah. Just pick up Artimenner in a tavern and pump his Tactics. Save your own points for something else.

Eventually, being outnumbered won't be that big a deal anyway, because your army will be fully upgraded and your opponent's will be a mixture of recruits, veterans and everything in between.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 am UTC

I just got this game. I love it! I've been playing it constantly; it's so fun!

My favorite experience so far is forgetting the fact that I lost my army when I went to demand supplies from a village, resulting in me versus 60 peasants. AND I WON! I was covered in blood by the end of it, but I managed to pick off about 15-20 with my crossbow before I ran out of bolts, then I started running down stragglers with my elite scimitar, and I was just about to retreat when a lucky peasant with a pitchfork knocked out my horse. I was sure that was going to be the end of it, since there were still about 12 of them left, but then I took the rest out on foot. So awesome. I then pillaged the village by myself and went to go ransom my companions and rebuild my army.

Nobility:
Kill Peasants. Get Money.

Also, what difficulty do you all play on? I use about 127% or so. (I'm pretty sure the over-100 part just comes from turning off the ability to savescum.) I never used anything less. I imagine it would be quite a different game with damage to yourself and your men set to 1/4 or 1/2 rather than full. I still haven't quite got the hand of manual blocking, so I just use a shield. And SexyTalon, it's not quite accurate to say you have to do nothing to couch your lance. That's true on the default easy settings, but in multiplayer (or if you set the lance controls to "Manual-Hard" in single player) you have to hit X (the alternate weapon mode key) while travelling at sufficient speed to couch the lance. And you can only keep it couched for a few seconds, which is fairly realistic.

I'd say the biggest thing that I noticed experienced players doing from reading the forums that I had no idea about as a newbie was using fully-upgraded armies all of one type of unit (cavalry, archers, or infantry). I had been using the kind of armies the AI uses, with all sorts of units mixed in, which was probably why I kept getting wiped out every time I tried to pillage an enemy village and the defenders came for me. That is my #1 pet peeve with this game: I wish you could call off a pillaging attempt when you see a massive army heading in to kill you, abandoning all the loot but having a chance to save yourself.

As for trading, I think trading iron between Curaw and Reyvadin/Kurdan is just too easy, now that I know to do it. It's free money, as long as you have the patience for it. Real women (I like to play a female commoner) pillage and tax for money.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.
17/♂/Heterosexual/US/Atheist/Objectivist
Tigion wrote:Gods, [Mafia] is like poker, 'cept harder.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:52 pm UTC

It sounds like perhaps you're playing Warband? I think the alternate weapon thing isn't a feature of the original. I'm not sure how difficulty compares between the two, but I started out playing with the slightly reduced damage settings, and ended up moving to the most reduced damage settings. I've been thinking of going back recently, as thing have gotten fairly easy now that I've got the renown for parties of more than 200 people. The thing that stops me is, I'm still having fun, and I still have to be careful in a siege so that I don't bite it.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:10 am UTC

rust me, the raise in difficulty is very noticeable. I just have the AI set to 'good', and keep things at 1/2 and 1/4

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:33 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:It sounds like perhaps you're playing Warband? I think the alternate weapon thing isn't a feature of the original. I'm not sure how difficulty compares between the two, but I started out playing with the slightly reduced damage settings, and ended up moving to the most reduced damage settings. I've been thinking of going back recently, as thing have gotten fairly easy now that I've got the renown for parties of more than 200 people. The thing that stops me is, I'm still having fun, and I still have to be careful in a siege so that I don't bite it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I am playing Warband; I just got it very recently, so I have no idea what the difficulty is compared to the original. Multiplayer is okay, but it's so 90s it's not even funny. "Duel" servers are pretty fun to play on, though, especially to practice your manual blocking.

What kept me alive (though not a whole lot of my men, unfortunately) as a newbie on the hardest difficulty was a light crossbow on horseback. That thing is like a sniper rifle once you learn to headshot with it. Apparently, regular bows on horseback are better as you pump up your skills, but crossbows are much easier to use for a new player. Of course, it's totally ineffective when facing a significant number of enemy cavalry, but it works like magic on the little bands of looters and deserters.
Nec audiendi qui solent dicere, vox populi, vox Dei, quum tumultuositas vulgi semper insaniae proxima sit.

Nu Știu Să Fiu Numai Pentru Tine—Andreea Bălan—Amazing song! Verrückte Jungs—Blümchen—My avatar.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:04 am UTC

Yeah, I started out with a light crossbow as well. Nowadays I've got a masterwork heavy crossbow for sieges, and I don't really range on horseback at all as I'm geared for maximum trampling:
- Champion Charger
- Masterwork Heavy Bastard Sword
- Balanced Heavy Lance (I've never seen tempered or masterwork lances so far?)
- Lordly Winged Great Helm
- Reinforced Knightly Heater Shield
- Lordly Chain Gauntlets
- Thick Heraldic Mail with Surcoat (Still waiting to find this one in Lordly variant... probably need a bit more cash too)

Anyone had better results with other swords, by the way?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

Vox Imperatoris wrote:And SexyTalon, it's not quite accurate to say you have to do nothing to couch your lance.
SecondTalon wrote:If you're playing not-Warband, you set the lance automatically when you hit speed.
Vox Imperatoris wrote:Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I am playing Warband;I just got it very recently, so I have no idea what the difficulty is compared to the original.

... Pete the Evil Dictator cries when you don't pay attention.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vox Imperatoris

Postby Vox Imperatoris » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... Pete the Evil Dictator cries when you don't pay attention.

Oops, sorry.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:57 pm UTC

Don't be. I'll be the one looking stupid when someone pipes in with "Uh, in plain Mount & Blade, unless you're playing in n00b mode, you have to turn your keyboard topwise to prep your lance"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

No, dammit, topwise!

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:33 pm UTC

I have a quick question about the was the game rates damage. Is it just a linear progression with the letters being multipliers or something? Like, is a rating of 1c better than rating of 25b? If so why not just use numbers instead of the number-letter combo? Or is it more complicated than that? Thanks.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

c = cutting damage
b = blunt damage
p = piercing damage

They will interact with different armors differently, and blunt damage will cause enemies to be incapacitated rather than killed.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

ooh, awesome. That helps a lot. Thanks.
--Flobots "Mayday"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:34 am UTC

Sometimes you can just tell the people who haven't played D&D...

Remember, b damage will leave them unconscious. Useful when you need knights or something for a prisoner swap quest.

Return to “Gaming”