Mount&Blade

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gunfingers

Re: Mount&Blade

Postby Gunfingers » Tue May 26, 2009 5:26 pm UTC

I, too, recently picked this game up. Liking the shit out of it. I decided to eschew combat skills and focus on leadership stuff. The biggest issue i have is how hard it becomes to find things to fight once you get a decent party together. Everything runs away from you, and if you're not all cavalry they're going to be faster than you.

Have to try out some of these mods later.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:50 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Obvious praise aside, I thought I'd use the necro to ask if anybody has found some super mods to play with? I used the native expansion, but got a bit bored since it didn't take that long before I could get the best equipment for myself. Anyone know of a mod with more focus on upgrading the main character?

I've tried many of the mods, but by far, the best one out there is Prophesy of Pendor. I don't think I can ever go back to playing in Native again.

It's well-produced, balanced, and includes a ton of features from other expansions (kingdom management, custom settlements, et cetera).

The factions and troop types are new, but well balanced, there are minor armies and factions on the map, and a lot of hidden features and easter eggs. If the Native game is the foundation to a house, Prophesy of Pendor is the mansion that was built on top of it.

http://forums.taleworlds.net/index.php/board,119.0.html
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:56 pm UTC

Jack21222 wrote:
Phen wrote:Obvious praise aside, I thought I'd use the necro to ask if anybody has found some super mods to play with? I used the native expansion, but got a bit bored since it didn't take that long before I could get the best equipment for myself. Anyone know of a mod with more focus on upgrading the main character?

I've tried many of the mods, but by far, the best one out there is Prophesy of Pendor. I don't think I can ever go back to playing in Native again.

It's well-produced, balanced, and includes a ton of features from other expansions (kingdom management, custom settlements, et cetera).

The factions and troop types are new, but well balanced, there are minor armies and factions on the map, and a lot of hidden features and easter eggs. If the Native game is the foundation to a house, Prophesy of Pendor is the mansion that was built on top of it.

Have you played the native expansion? That's what I'm playing right now... A little frustrated that I became a mercenary captain since by now I got an army capable of taking a castle for myself. But if I have to go through the same wait in Prophesy of Pendor only to find out it's not that great...

EDIT: So. I'm not sure I'm liking it. Looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time on the training ground if I want as much as a chance of not getting captured by anyone I meet, especially since everyone else can outrun me and my recruits.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:08 am UTC

Phen wrote:
Jack21222 wrote:

Have you played the native expansion? That's what I'm playing right now... A little frustrated that I became a mercenary captain since by now I got an army capable of taking a castle for myself. But if I have to go through the same wait in Prophesy of Pendor only to find out it's not that great...

EDIT: So. I'm not sure I'm liking it. Looks like I'll have to spend a lot of time on the training ground if I want as much as a chance of not getting captured by anyone I meet, especially since everyone else can outrun me and my recruits.

Tried Native Expansion, it wasn't as deep in my opinion.

In Prophesy of Pendor, stick with killing Bandits, Brigands, and Outcasts for a while. You can also follow around lords parties, and when they engage an enemy, rush to their aid. That way, you can build up your troops and experience, get a share of the loot, and even hire some rescued prisoners.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

Native Expansion seems much better than Prophesy in my opinion
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

I really enjoyed the Onin no Ran mod. They've done a really extensive amount of work modeling items and equipment and making it historically accurate. The last time I checked the coder was having some RL issues so it was on a semi-hiatus but it's fun nonetheless.

mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php is a really good modding community, including a really nice LoTR mod.

Pianodog

Postby Pianodog » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm UTC

This whole thread makes me want to reinstall the game and try out some mods.

I love playing my *own* kingdom, but with no Lords to assist me, I get about as much landmass as any other kingdom might have and suddenly find myself mired in defense fights for hours and hours on end, and unable to continue expanding.

I had started flooding peasants into my ranks and posting them as guards (inexpensive and easy to find), but it just feels really cheap to me to do that. One scout walking in to a town during the day should be able to tell an opposing army that's considering laying siege that my town has weaponless rabble defending it and nothing more.

Choke points in sieges were brutal - I always wished my army could find more than ONE way up onto a wall. What ends up happening is that I, as an Archer, would clear as many opposing archers out a I could and then send in my troops. I loved the Nords, so I always had Huscarls, which make mincemeat of almost anything else in a siege.

On the flip side, I loved the castles where the choke point for defending was a field at the top of the wall. I'd pull my troops back to defend (out of line of sight of the ground), stand at the front, snipe the first few foes that came up (especially their archers), and when more than a handful have made it past me, set my army to "Rush" ... wait for the slaughter to subside, fall back, tell my troops to hold ... repeat. I could easily handle forces quadrouple my size with this tactic and Huscarls on defense.

I'll start reading up on the mods mentioned, but if there's a quick answer to - Do any of them actually let you create a Kingdom that's capable of being managed and defending itself?
http://www.lilliansolstice.com/soaps.html - Awesome Soap.

PSA: Support the gaming industry, but do it smartly. Remember to check for restrictive DRM before buying as a way to remind publishers that we're their customers, not their enemies.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

Short answer - by their descriptions, yes. Long answer - I haven't personally tried them yet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

I would spend some time looking around the mbx forums. Unless something has changed in the last year, that's probably the best mod community for M&B. If it's not there, chances are it doesn't exist yet.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:07 am UTC

I tried out the native expansion.

It's generally better, but I don't like how it feels... inspired... by AOE 2.

for example:
Nords: Huskarls (tbf, they were in Native) and Berserkers
Rhodoks: TH swordsmen, champions
Weapons: Arbulests
Khanate: Tarkhans and Mangudai... is that an elite Mangudai!?

otherwise, I like the control you can have over your kingdom.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 am UTC

I somehow got sucked into this black hole again... hours disappeared without my noticing. I still say Prophecy of Pendor is the best, though. My character there now has 500 days played.

Jedaye

Postby Jedaye » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:29 am UTC

Played this at a friends house we spent pretty much 2 days straight on it, then when i got home a bought it and got bored very quickly. Reading these pages has made me decide to go back to it though and have just started to download the Hordemod some mentioned a few posts back. Going to take 20 minutes to download thank god as its half 2 and i should go to bed and if it had downlaoaded any quicker i would be up all night.

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:25 am UTC

Mishrak wrote:I really enjoyed the Onin no Ran mod. They've done a really extensive amount of work modeling items and equipment and making it historically accurate. The last time I checked the coder was having some RL issues so it was on a semi-hiatus but it's fun nonetheless.

mbx.streetofeyes.com/index.php is a really good modding community, including a really nice LoTR mod.

As far as I'm aware, there is no Lord of the Rings mod. There is, however, an awesome Star Wars mod that is awesome.

Mishrak wrote:I would spend some time looking around the mbx forums. Unless something has changed in the last year, that's probably the best mod community for M&B. If it's not there, chances are it doesn't exist yet.

The official forums (http://forums.taleworlds.com/ though it's down at the moment) seem to have more, actually. Most of the MBX mods have threads there, and then there are quite a few mods that aren't on mbx that are there.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:31 am UTC

There are lots of Lord of the Rings mods, and if you're really lucky, some of them might not suck.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:50 am UTC

What what what.

What is this that steam is advertising now.

Mount & Blade: Warband
Available: 31 March 2010
In a land torn asunder by incessant warfare, it is time to assemble your own band of hardened warriors and enter the fray. Lead your men into battle, expand your realm, and claim the ultimate prize: the throne of Calradia!

Mount & Blade: Warband is the eagerly anticipated stand alone expansion pack for the game that brought medieval battlefields to life with its realistic mounted combat and detailed fighting system.

Spoiler:
Graphical overhaul: Support added for HDR, FSAA, depth of field, soft particles, tone mapping, and many other effects
New models with greater detail and high-quality textures
Multiplayer battles with up to 64 players. Multiplayer modes include Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Conquest, Battle, and Siege
A campaign allowing you to become the ruler of a faction and convince lords to become your vassals
The ability to upgrade your companions to vassals by granting them lands
The ability to marry a lady of the realm for romance or cold political gain. Try to win a lady’s heart through poetry or bravery
Improved mechanics for soldier morale: Soldiers will break and run away if their morale gets too low
Pick any projectile off the battlefield for use as additional munitions
New motion-captured combat animations
Numerous improvements to the combat system: Your shield will still stop arrows even if you are not actively defending
The ability to play multiplayer matches on random maps as well as hand-designed ones
Multiplayer equipment system: Earn money by fighting opponents or accomplishing goals
The ability to use most throwing weapons in close combat: Switch to using a javelin as a short spear when the enemy gets close
Spend gold on more powerful equipment, using a carefully balanced system that will make combat more exciting without giving too much of an advantage to the leading team

Oh me yarm Multiplayer!

Attention: This post made while drunk. I get to use this excuse so rarely, so there it is. Still, I heard nothing about this until now, but it seems awesome and the developers are small and should definitely be supported.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 am UTC

I've been playing warband constantly for a week now (first beta, then release today), and I really like it. There's not many major new features appart from multiplayer, but there are very many small improvements to the old in addition to some entirely new things.

One of the new things is the map, which is entirely new and considerably larger. There's also a new faction, the Sarranids, which have a moorish/arab culture.

Speaking of factions, they're all more distinct from eachother now. Their basic mechanics are the same, but they're given different armours and weapons, like the Sarranid mameluke mail and various other robes, Vaegir war masks and the awesome Rhodok full helm. The Sarranids definitely have the most new stuff, with almost an entire line of weapons and armour of their own, but many of the other items have been given improved looks and distinctions. For example, the classical swadian full helm looks less like a bucket and more like a helm now. Females also have their own armour model now. Not chainmail bikinis or steel catsuits, just less broad accross the shoulders. Graphics in general have been given a boost and the result is simply better immersion.

mb1.jpg
My sarranid horse archer, complete with mameluke mail, veiled helm and two-handed sabre, right after beating up a drunk in a tavern. Note the lack of chainmail bikinis.

Other new stuff; politics. Lords (which now have different titles depending on which faction they belong to, count, jarl, emir, boyar and noyan) scheme and plot behind eachother's backs, and you can throw yourself into this dangerous game as well. Good connections is important if you want to be elected marshal or be granted control of a newly conquered fief or castle. There's even the possibility of rebelion or treachery against the king, causing lords to switch factions entirely. One important tool in this game is marriage, and if you're male you can look forward to a lengthy courting process with the daughter or sister of a particularly important lord, complete with poetry, dedicating tournament victories and secret meetups late at night.

The combat system has also been worked over. For one thing, you can now kick, which does very little damage but is a somewhat useful interrupt if you manage to land it. Blocking is improved as well; you can now block left-strikes by blocking right if the attacker is standing on your right side (and vice versa). You can also parry a blow if you initiate an attack in the direction the blow is coming from before it lands. Your strike will then knock his away and continue on its merry way to probably hit your opponent (but he can still block or parry your blow, which leads to some interesting duels.)

mb2.jpg
My swadian knight demonstrating the correct way of smashing in a Rhodok head with a longsword. Kick, followed by overhead smash.

Mounted combat has also been revamped. No longer can you spam the enemy with a lance on a heavy charger, since both have been nerfed. The lance does not level automatically anymore, you have to press a button to do it, and it does not stay level for more than a few seconds. You also can't immediately level it again after a charge, but have to wait a few seconds. This means that after the first charge you'll either be pulling away, preparing a new one, or you'll stay in the fray with either a sword or using the lance as a regular spear. However, you can swivel the lance a bit now, hitting enemies to the left as well, and a little bit further out, not just right in front of you, which makes lancing a little bit safer. Horse charge damage has been decreased dramatically, and even the charger cannot charge through an unlimited amount of enemies now. Also, you can't turn your horse if there's people blocking the sides. This makes charging directly into a mass of enemy infantry a real commitment, not something you do on a whim. The effects can be devastating though, if both you and your horse are properly armoured, as you've got room to swing, but the infantry doesn't.

They also say you can run your own kingdom, and make your companions into lords, but I haven't gotten that far yet. I might soon though, because right now everyone's at peace with eachother...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am UTC

Oooh. Sounds like some real adjustments. I loved charging around like a maniac with a lance, but it was hardly balanced... and caused me to be so unskilled at combat on foot that I had huge issues with sieges :mrgreen:

I shall play this!
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:14 pm UTC

It sounds like they've added a bunch of features that modders already changed for free, and are now selling it for 30 bucks. I think I'll keep playing the original and its mods. Taleworlds is going the way of EA with it's Madden franchise. Make a few minor adjustments, charge full price for a "new game."

gamers2000

Postby gamers2000 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am UTC

Month-old necro. Get M&B.

Mods : Try WW2 China Battlefield. It's an insane mod. Pretty much stretches the engine to it's limit, and then some. (Not a fan of the time-period, but it's a great mod).

Also, since Warband is a standalone expansion, it doesn't matter if I have the original or not,right?

(Also, did anyone get banned from the forum for no reason?)

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

Amalith wrote:
Mishrak wrote:I really enjoyed the Onin no Ran mod. They've done a really extensive amount of work modeling items and equipment and making it historically accurate. The last time I checked the coder was having some RL issues so it was on a semi-hiatus but it's fun nonetheless.

As far as I'm aware, there is no Lord of the Rings mod. There is, however, an awesome Star Wars mod that is awesome.

Mishrak wrote:I would spend some time looking around the mbx forums. Unless something has changed in the last year, that's probably the best mod community for M&B. If it's not there, chances are it doesn't exist yet.

The official forums (http://forums.taleworlds.com/ though it's down at the moment) seem to have more, actually. Most of the MBX mods have threads there, and then there are quite a few mods that aren't on mbx that are there.

No LoTR Mod? The Last Days was one of the largest LoTR mods I had ever seen (and played) when I last looked at mbx awhile ago. I know a lot of the MBX community didn't like the Taleworlds forums at one point, so you'd see mods on TW but not MBX and vice versa.

My favorite is the Onin No Ran mod on MBX, taking place in a feudal 15th century Japan. Pretty amazing amount of work they've done trying to make it as historically and physically accurate as possible. I can't look atm, because MBX is blocked at work, but the last I remember Fujisawa (the lead coder) was on a long term hiatus because of RL stuff, but if he's back and they've ported it for the latest version, it'd be worth playing.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

I picked up Warband. Are there any good mods out for it yet? It's great, but little things like looting not working the way it did in Native Expansion are beyond frustrating right now.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:18 pm UTC

gamers2000 wrote:Month-old necro. Get M&B.

Mods : Try WW2 China Battlefield. It's an insane mod. Pretty much stretches the engine to it's limit, and then some. (Not a fan of the time-period, but it's a great mod).

Also, since Warband is a standalone expansion, it doesn't matter if I have the original or not,right?

(Also, did anyone get banned from the forum for no reason?)

It's not a "standalone expansion," it's a "new game."

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 14, 2010 2:38 pm UTC

I am playing the trial, and enjoying it. I do have a few gripes/whatever that I need to address.

There is pretty much no guidance as a noob. I didn't even know I was level 4 until I stumbled on the right menu. No explanation for how to do certain things. I got a quest to start a war between two factions by attacking a village or caravan. Well I only saw two caravans in 30-45 minutes of wandering, and both of them moved as fast as I did, so I couldn't run them down. So that's another thing - my guys move so slow I can no longer chase down bandits and such.

The only real thing I dislike is the wait time to load villages and towns. I have a pretty good computer, and it takes 5+ seconds to load a town?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 pm UTC

The happier, and smaller your crew, the faster you'll move. You do have a maximum speed that is affected by.. crap, agility maybe. And the pathfinding skill will also help you move faster.

Not being able to chase down bandits is one thing. Not being able to chase down caravans means you're moving really, really stupidly slow.

Every time you level, a cymbal bangs and you get a message. If this happens mid-battle, it's easy to miss. Soldiers also level fairly regularly too, especially if you have high training, so after a while you get used to checking the party menu (p, unless I'm mistaken) daily/after every fight to level up people who need it. While you cannot level yourself on this screen, you can see if you've leveled as there will be a + by your name.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your load times, nor really remember how long it takes to load. I usually just use the menus to get around, rather than physically running around the town.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri May 14, 2010 6:28 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Not being able to chase down bandits is one thing. Not being able to chase down caravans means you're moving really, really stupidly slow.

That's what I was thinking. I found out before I quit last night that my morale was low(sold alot of food for cash). Maybe I need to buy some more food? Or at least threaten some villagers for some.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri May 14, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

Oh also, the more horses you have, the faster you are. If you have a team entirely made of khergit riders, you run much faster than you would otherwise
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 14, 2010 6:59 pm UTC

Yeah, you need a respectable food variety and a respectable run of victories. Winning battles increases moral. Defeating forces larger than yours raises moral greatly. Completing quests raises moral. Winning tournaments increases moral.

Oh, and prisoners slow you down.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Fri May 14, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

You can also go into the config files and change the morale bonuses you get from leadership, penalty for party size, and amount of renown needed to get an additional slot for a unit. Not that you probably need to do that now, as victories and food will keep a small army happy, but it might be worth checking out if you later get a huge army. Grinding for morale isn't really fun or particularly sensical.

Fat Zombie

Postby Fat Zombie » Mon May 17, 2010 11:00 pm UTC

Argh. I have M&B, which is awesome. But Warband sounds moreso; but my laptop cannot run it well (it's a lot slower than the original on my old laptop). But it has a kick button. Argh.
...And before you ask: yes, I do like to listen to myself talk!

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu May 20, 2010 3:51 pm UTC

So, I decided to get this game after watching jefmajor's "Let's Play" videos on YT. Well over 100 days into a second character (my first was full of fail), I learn about the native extended module; and now I am slightly conflicted.

But I figure I'll play this character through until I get tired of it, and then native extended will be new and refreshing. I'm currently a vassal of the khanate with a bit over 500 renown, around level 20, running around molesting Vaegir Lords with an army of khergit veteran horse archers, khergit lancers, swadian knights and an assortment of crossbowmen. After a few sieges I found myself needing to rebuild my army quite a bit, so I'm going to head over to Nord land and try training up some of their infantry.

It's taking me forever to finish this "bring me 6 captured Vaegir Knights" quest, because the Vaegirs are getting trounced so hard that Knights are pretty rare, and it's difficult to wound them instead of killing them. I've taken to looking for big fights that have already started where there are some knights involved, jumping in, and just telling my army to go on ahead without me, as that seems to result in more wounded and fewer killed enemies, for some reason.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:It's taking me forever to finish this "bring me 6 captured Vaegir Knights" quest, because the Vaegirs are getting trounced so hard that Knights are pretty rare, and it's difficult to wound them instead of killing them.

You can instruct your troops to use blunt weapons, which will cause anyone they kill to be wounded rather than killed. Unless by "difficult" you meant that your troops have shit-all blunt weapons and they die alot when you use them, in which case i got no easy answer for ya. :-/
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:
Mr. Bakerstein wrote:It's taking me forever to finish this "bring me 6 captured Vaegir Knights" quest, because the Vaegirs are getting trounced so hard that Knights are pretty rare, and it's difficult to wound them instead of killing them.

You can instruct your troops to use blunt weapons, which will cause anyone they kill to be wounded rather than killed. Unless by "difficult" you meant that your troops have shit-all blunt weapons and they die alot when you use them, in which case i got no easy answer for ya. :-/

I just reject those quests, and wait for the more fun ones.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu May 20, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

I don't know how to instruct regular troops to use particular weapons. I can equip blunt weapons on my NPC troops, but I haven't bothered.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:00 pm UTC

It's one of the commands like "charge" and "hold". In classic M&B i think it's F9, and in Warband it's F4 and then...i think...F2. I hardly ever do it.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

I'll look for it.

Since I got most of my knights and lancers ground up by sieges and have been training up new recruits, I've been playing a lot with those hotkeys. Putting my archers on hills, having infantry go back and forward paces, generally messing around. Brings back fond memories of Myth II.

...now, if only someone will make a mod that lets me hire dwarves who throw molotovs...

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon May 24, 2010 1:39 pm UTC

I downloaded the trial of Warband, played it for a few hours.
Next day I hit the time limit within an hour or so of playing, decided to buy it from Steam, then was up till about 10 a.m. playing it.

I both hate and love you guys for introducing me to this game.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 pm UTC

So, I've discovered that if you command your troops thusly: "Everyone, listen! Everyone, use blunt weapons!"
- Mounted troops without blunt weapons will stop moving and sit there until they die
- Unmounted troops without blunt weapons will PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH not very effective unless outnumbering unmounted enemies at least 5:1
- Some troops will just kill people anyway, sometimes, 'cause hey! BLOOD IS AWESOME

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:So, I've discovered that if you command your troops thusly: "Everyone, listen! Everyone, use blunt weapons!"
- Mounted troops without blunt weapons will stop moving and sit there until they die
- Unmounted troops without blunt weapons will PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH not very effective unless outnumbering unmounted enemies at least 5:1
- Some troops will just kill people anyway, sometimes, 'cause hey! BLOOD IS AWESOME

I'd never actually used it. I figured mounted troops would at least horse-charge, which does non-trivial blunt damage. Clearly blunt damage is not the way to go with the troops you have on hand. o_O
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 am UTC

What's odd is that some of the mounted troops that were sitting around doing nothing should have had blunt weapons. I've seen Swadian Knights and Kherjit Lancers using maces plenty of times.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Thu May 27, 2010 6:50 am UTC

I seem to recall that they take the order to use blunt weapons very seriously. I'd wanted the choice to order "Club 'em if you've got 'em", so that my swordsmen wouldn't resort to their fists but at least some of my army could be capturing. In the end, I solved this problem by getting rid of my army and using the money saved to buy a massive mace.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Return to “Gaming”