Mount&Blade

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mot

Re: Mount&Blade

Postby Mot » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:I seem to recall that they take the order to use blunt weapons very seriously. I'd wanted the choice to order "Club 'em if you've got 'em", so that my swordsmen wouldn't resort to their fists but at least some of my army could be capturing. In the end, I solved this problem by getting rid of my army and using the money saved to buy a massive mace.

I can see the scene: On the one hill an entire army of footsoldiers, scared shitless. On the other, a man with a massive mace.
Robo captain, do you not realize that by destroying the human race because of their destructive tendencies, we too have become like, well...it's ironic. (mmm) Cause we...
Silence! Destroy him!
DOO! (boo!) Dooboodoo!

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 pm UTC

I remember in the native expansion mod for M&B Classic there were some bows that did blunt damage. That made it easier.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

Crossbow bolts seem to knock enemies unconscious quite frequently, in the hands of my soldiers or allies.

I've finally been awarded a town, so my holdings consist of the original fief, a castle and fief I took a while back, and Curaw. It's quite convenient actually, because Tulga and Ichamur often have cheap spice which I can sell at a profit just over the ridge in Curaw. I'm a vassal of the Khanate, I should probably mention. The cost of troops since I've tried to post a strong, fully upgraded guard at both castle and town is kind of crippling... almost 5k a week at this point. And I'm really regretting underestimating the Rhodoks for their lack of cavalry, as the incredible strength of their troops, particularly sergeants and sharpshooters, makes sieging their castles an utter bitch.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

If you're laying siege then cavalry isn't really the thing you need to worry about. :-/
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu May 27, 2010 2:22 pm UTC

wait until you get to the Nords :P

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri May 28, 2010 1:18 am UTC

My point is, a main strength of the Khergits is that every single one of their units is mounted. In siege, that strength vanishes.

I'm at peace with the Nords, and really hoping to stay that way at least until the Rhodoks are taken care of. If they weren't on the complete opposite end of the map, I'd have more Huscarls in my party; as it is, I stop by for a few recruits whenever I'm near their territory.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:46 am UTC

My strategy was always to have a set of infantry/archers of max level that i leave in a castle, and any time i'm doing siege warfare i go drop off my light cavalry and pick up my high-level infantry/archers. After i've taken the castle i pop them in as the new garrison and go get my skirmishing army so i can go fuck up rival warbands.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun May 30, 2010 3:55 am UTC

This game is really, really frustrating me right now. I can't accomplish anything. I'll go a few battles, then get my ass handed to me. I can't flee the fuckers that are killing me, and my guys get mowed down by similar sized forces. Any time I do get momentum going, some army wanders by with 5 times the number of troops, and I again can't run away from them. What am I doing wrong here? It got so bad that at one point I didn't have a freaking horse.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 am UTC

Anyone have tips on training up your no-name soldiers? Just fighting battles seems to be a poor route, as my lower level soldiers, those that need training the most, tend to die pretty quickly. I've tried just telling a particular group (say I've got a bunch of low level infantry) to hold a position far from the fight and letting my training skill distribute the experience after the battle and it works alright, but eventually I want to use some of my infantry, and leaving my entire infantry out of the fight just to train up a few recruits safely seems silly. Should I not even bother recruiting from small towns and just try to focus on capturing already high-level soldiers from other parties?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun May 30, 2010 11:17 am UTC

@ emceng: Consider adjusting the difficulty until you get a handle for what troops are effective in what circumstance. Also, get some Khergit troops. Cavalry makes a big difference.

@ SurgicalSteel: There's a skill called "training" that you should have one of heroes devoted to training. You could put it on your main character, too, but i like to focus my main character on combat and skills that heroes can't train. This will cause your lower level troops to get experience at the end of every day.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon May 31, 2010 2:18 am UTC

This is how I usually fight battles. I've got levels in Horse Archery and in Lances. I tell my guys to hold position at the top of the nearest hill, and then I, on my own, try to draw out the enemy forces. I circle around them, shooting arrows, and eventually take out my lance and try to break up the enemy forces so that they only reach my own infantry a few at a time.

Course, I've got most of my things set up on the easiest settings, so maybe it won't work as well for you. Also, I *think* I'm playing the expansion, not Warband, I mean the mod.

I'm using this super long jousting lance, which is great, mostly because of the range.
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

You two guys are my favorite people right now. Both of these strategies are working fantastically. I have only recently discovered the joy that is couched lance damage. Thanks.
--Flobots "Mayday"

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:03 pm UTC

I started yet another new game, and maybe this one will go better.

Can you only recruit certain people if you become a mercenary for a country? I joined one, and wandered to a half dozen other faction villages and none allowed me to recruit.

I am still having trouble doing anything with commanding my troops. Considering the size of my group, that's not that much of a problem. I have found about the only tactic I can use so far. I ride around with my bow plunking at enemies. I charge the group of enemies, and try and draw off half of them. Then I ride in circles shooting arrows while waiting for my guys to beat down the other half. Even with my horse stopped, I cannot seem to melee guys pretty much at all. On foot I do much better.

One game that I started, 5 seconds in I got jumped by a group of 10 guys. I used arrows and charging with my horse, and managed to beat them - solo.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:14 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I started yet another new game, and maybe this one will go better.

Can you only recruit certain people if you become a mercenary for a country? I joined one, and wandered to a half dozen other faction villages and none allowed me to recruit.

Your standing with the faction that owns the village and with the village in particular are taken into account when deciding if you can recruit from them, and how many troops you'll get. If you're at war with that faction you can't recruit from their villages unless you do quests for the villagers or save them from bandits or something.
emceng wrote:I am still having trouble doing anything with commanding my troops. Considering the size of my group, that's not that much of a problem. I have found about the only tactic I can use so far. I ride around with my bow plunking at enemies. I charge the group of enemies, and try and draw off half of them. Then I ride in circles shooting arrows while waiting for my guys to beat down the other half.

My personal preference has always been to put arches in front with infantry immediately behind and cavalry somewhere back and to the side. Archers engage and kill as many troops as they can, then when they get close i give my infantry and cavalry the charge command. Because the cavalry are further back they'll get there about the same time as the infantry. Depending on the size and capability of the enemy i either let them continue to charge, or recall them back to formation to repeat with the second wave, while i myself hunt down anyone attempting to flee.
emceng wrote: Even with my horse stopped, I cannot seem to melee guys pretty much at all. On foot I do much better.

The key with horse combat is weapon range and riding speed. If you stop they will hack your horse apart. You want a fairly long weapon, such as a sabre, bastard sword, or short scythe. Hold down the attack button and charge immediately to the side of your target. Swing right before you reach them and you will wreck them.
You can also use a spear, but that's only effective couched and if you end up on foot you're kinda screwed. I could never fight effectively with a spear.

emceng wrote:One game that I started, 5 seconds in I got jumped by a group of 10 guys. I used arrows and charging with my horse, and managed to beat them - solo.

\o/
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:55 pm UTC

I think you just need to learn the timing, makes everything a lot easier. Also, I think if you've got more fame/honor, then it makes it easier to recruit, at the beginning, all I used to do is ride around doing tournaments and betting on my self every round. I'd get rich and get famous and it'd make it easier for me to recruit.... recruits

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 pm UTC

I'm not sure how renown and honor figure into it, but when I got a fief and started working on my relationship with the village by doing quests, I started to get a ton more volunteers from that village when I went asking, and occasionally a smaller number of volunteers at a higher tier than the base. With 2.5k+ renown and around 40 relationship with my fief, I often can pick up 30+ volunteers in one visit from that village.

I think relationship with the village's home faction is a factor as well; I can recruit volunteers from Rhodok villages despite being at war and hated by their faction, if I have positive relationship with the particular village, but only about 1/3 of the time and usually only 1-3 of them. I have better luck with Swadian villages, and have 40+ relationship with the Swads, being at peace.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:15 pm UTC

Ok, I started to get more into this game last night. I did two tournaments - and lost the second because I was stuck with a stupid lance against a ton of guys with bows.

I also joined a faction and started kicking ass. I got up to 35 guys in my party, and took down two enemy nobles, capturing one. I was involved in my first siege. It was pretty cool, but I wish I hadn't been knocked out so early. It also didn't help that I lost a bunch of life falling off the siege tower.

I had some issues with shooting guys with arrows though - do you guys wait until they are on the tower before shooting? Otherwise I was only hitting about 20% of the time with arrows.

When you talk about couching with a lance, is that just the holding down the left mouse button? I did do some decent damage with a lance in the one tourney, but in battle it was not nearly as effective compared to my bow. I will give it another shot tonight.

What are the best ways to make money? Betting on myself in tournaments works, but I can't find tournaments that often(is there a way to find out where they are?). The next best for me really was pillaging towns. Are prices based on your relationship with a faction, or on a personal trade skill? I am playing the original, not Warband. Also, where do you find companions? I've only found one so far randomly in a tavern I had been to multiple times, and I couldn't take him because my party was full.

Through pillaging I was able to get a sweet horse, an upgrade most of my armor. I want to find better weapons, but I'm not seeing much. The one nice bow I wanted I can't use yet.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:30 pm UTC

When you should shoot depends on your archery skill and how good you as a player are with aiming. Start shooting as soon as you can reliably hit people. If you're in a siege and are on the defending side there's actually a lot to be said for waiting, because they're going to bottleneck on the tower/ladder and be stuck there just waiting for you to turn them into pincushions.

If you're playing Warband there is an "alternate mode" button for some weapons, i forget the default (i had it set as X), which will allow you to use javelins as melee weapons and will allow you to couch your lance. Since you're playing classic you will couch the lance automatically if you have it out and are going fast enough.

In my experience tourneys are BY FAR the best way to make money. You can find where they are by going to the arena in a town and asking the tournament master if any are being held nearby. He will tell you what towns to visit.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:40 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, I started to get more into this game last night. I did two tournaments - and lost the second because I was stuck with a totally awesome and game-breaking lance against a ton of guys with bows.
I see you have not yet learned the zen of the lance. If you're playing not-Warband, you set the lance automatically when you hit speed. Battle with a lance means you only use the mouse to swing the camera around - your actual fighting is done merely by controlling the horse and getting the point lined up (more or less) with the enemy then steamrolling the fuck out of them. Most horses, even the starter horses, will knock people down and trample them, so with a lance against footsoldiers, you're literally just riding back and forth through their ranks, killing an opponent every time you pass through, and possibly knocking others out.

Lances is nasty, second only to the bow. The difference between a lance and a bow, though, is that to use a bow effectively, you have to pump skill points into it. Not so with the lance - with shit in polearms and a weak strength, you're still deadly and probably one-shotting anything you hit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:47 pm UTC

I routinely now kill three or four with the lance in a single pass, and deal charge damage to a couple dozen more. In some battles your opponent will really like lining his archers and infantry up separately, and won't break formation until you've killed a certain number of them, as long as your army is holding far enough away to not have engaged. With a champion charger, heavy lance (for the range) and a premium set of armor for yourself, you can really be a one-man army vs infantry. I was one of three parties defending a town from Rhodok siege the other day, with over 1,000 men in the combined Rhodok force. There were quite a few battles that I had to win pretty much single-handed against multiple waves of a few dozen spearmen, sharpshooters, sergeants, etc. It's satisfying and great exp, but also becomes tedious; I try to avoid those battles even though I can win them, because they take so long.

In siege, if I'm defending, I look for a spot on the ramparts where I can shoot the enemies as they come up the ladder or across the tower bridge. I wait until they're coming up/across and then go for headshots on the most heavily armored enemies, because they tend to give the defenders the most trouble. I don't waste ammo on distance shots because I'd rather do 80 damage to the face than 8 to the boots, or hit a shield; and thinning out the attack wave once they hit the defenders is more effective to keep my allies alive. If they're coming up a ladder, you can knock them back with a nice hit, and sometimes completely off.

If I'm attacking, I get close enough to be able to hit the defending archers 9 out of 10 times, and headshot 30-50% of the time. I let my allies charge in and follow them when I run out of ammo, or when they manage to advance beyond the ladder, whichever comes first.

As far as making money, tournaments are pretty good, but if you get used to the general range of prices for goods, you can make a steady stream of income by buying when you see things are low and selling in other towns. The more expensive the item, the more efficient a use of inventory space. For instance, I often see Salt for 30-40 denars in a certain area, and I know I can sell it for 110-170 across the map. So when I happen to be there and see cheap Salt, I buy half a dozen or more, depending on how I'm doing for inventory space. Spice, Furs, Velvet and Iron are also good. If I don't net at least 50 denars per inventory slot, I'm better off having the extra space for loot from battles.

And be careful about all that pillaging too much. When you start conquering and want to be awarded some land, you'll have a lot of work to do to repair your relationship with those villages, plus they'll be dirt poor for a while and not give you much income.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 pm UTC

A few followups then - when charging it seems like I have to hold down the left mouse button, then release it to hit someone. How do you hit multiple guys in one pass? I have lots and lots of trouble getting it aimed right and hitting anything. Do you have any suggestions for headshots? I have only done one, but then 99.9% of my shots were from horseback. Part of the problem there is I end up drawing my bow back, then waiting a while due to targets moving out of my LOF.

Are there any particular tactics I should use when attacking a castle? At this point I don't think I have enough men to do it, and I can't get a friendly lord to follow me. I also don't want to have to sit at a castle for 30 days to starve them out.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:13 pm UTC

If you have a lance and you're on a horse and you're holding the left mouse button You're Doing It Wrong. Don't touch the left mouse button! Only touch the right mouse button if you see a fuckton of archers starting to fire at you and you're pretty sure they're going to hit and you have a shield. Otherwise, don't touch the mouse buttons.
Don't touch the mouse buttons.

Do Not Touch The Mouse Buttons.

It's first person, but watch this video at about the minute mark. See how the guy is lowering the lance to an attack position? Know what button he's pushing to do that? Forward. That's it. If you have a polearm and your horse gets to chargin' speed, you automatically put the lance in attack position. You Do Not Touch The Mouse Buttons.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:34 pm UTC

SmexyTalon, why must you lie? The horse maintains speed without you having to press forward, so in fact the guy is not pressing any buttons at all! You're just being a dirty, filthy, whore liar. Also, i call your personal hygiene into question.

(i can't see the video, so if the guy is moving up a hill shortly before hitting the bad guys he was pressing forward and i'm going to look so stupid!)
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

HermanBlount

Postby HermanBlount » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

If you want to take a castle by yourself (no other lords from your faction are present), it's more about army composition than battle tactics. Archery units aren't very effective in a siege because the enemy has lots of cover and your archers don't. In short, bring heavily armored infantry, 50-100 strong and storm the place. Preferably they'll have shields and shield-breaking weapons (see: Nord Huscarls).

I've never managed to starve out a castle. I've even modded the game so that you can starve them in a week instead of a month and it still isn't worth the trouble. If the castle is too well defended, start raiding nearby villages until the defenders leave the castle in an attempt to crush you.

A couple of points on archery: Leveling up your weapon skill as well as "horse archery" and "power draw" will make a significant difference. Also, it's not like a typical 3d shooter. The arrows are slow, travel a short distance (compared to a bullet) and in an arc. Remember to lead your target. The farther away the target, the higher above their head you'll have to aim. It takes practice, and I'd start by shooting from a stationary position. Eventually, you can be a dead-eye shot while at full gallop.
Last edited by HermanBlount on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:04 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
It's AFTER the end of the world. Don't you know that yet?

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:54 pm UTC

HermanBlount wrote:If you want to take a castle by yourself (no other lords from your faction are present), it's more about army composition than battle tactics. Archery units aren't very effective in a siege because the enemy has lots of cover and your archers don't. In short, bring heavily armored infantry, 50-100 strong and storm the place. Preferably they'll have shields and shield-breaking weapons (see: Nord Huscarls).

I've never managed to starve out a castle. I've even modded the game so that you can starve them in a week instead of a month and it still isn't worth the trouble. If the castle is too well defended, start raiding nearby villages until the defenders leave the castle in an attempt to crush you.

A couple of points on archery. Leveling up your weapon skill as well as "horse archery" and "power draw" will make a significant difference. Also, it's not like a typical 3d shooter. The arrows travel a short distance (compared to a bullet) and in an arc. Remember to lead your target. The farther away the target, the higher above their head you'll have to aim. It takes practice, and I'd start by shooting from a stationary position. Eventually, you can be a dead-eye shot while at full gallop.

Whenever I try to starve out a castle, they sortie out to kill me and I take down most of them, which makes it easier to eventually take the castle.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

HermanBlount wrote:If you want to take a castle by yourself (no other lords from your faction are present), it's more about army composition than battle tactics. Archery units aren't very effective in a siege because the enemy has lots of cover and your archers don't. In short, bring heavily armored infantry, 50-100 strong and storm the place. Preferably they'll have shields and shield-breaking weapons (see: Nord Huscarls).

A couple of points on archery: Leveling up your weapon skill as well as "horse archery" and "power draw" will make a significant difference. Also, it's not like a typical 3d shooter. The arrows are slow, travel a short distance (compared to a bullet) and in an arc. Remember to lead your target. The farther away the target, the higher above their head you'll have to aim. It takes practice, and I'd start by shooting from a stationary position. Eventually, you can be a dead-eye shot while at full gallop.

Well, you can take castles using lots of archers by standing outside and sniping them yourself (and have your own archers help), then retreat when you run out of arrows and repeat. I think it's kinda cheap, but it works.
Last edited by Phen on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:55 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:53 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:SmexyTalon, why must you lie? The horse maintains speed without you having to press forward, so in fact the guy is not pressing any buttons at all! You're just being a dirty, filthy, whore liar. Also, i call your personal hygiene into question.

(i can't see the video, so if the guy is moving up a hill shortly before hitting the bad guys he was pressing forward and i'm going to look so stupid!)

Crap, you're right. I suppose I'm just too used to my playing where I basically just mash forward regardless, so it makes more sense in my head when I'm wheeling around and other maneuvering where I'm constantly adjusting my speed up and down for what I consider optimal handling.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

Played more last night, and I am enjoying it. I do need guidance on use of lackeys. Will they never die? I can just keep letting them get wounded forever? I grabbed three that are all pretty mediocre, but I'm making one a healer, and one a scout. I probably need an engineer

When do I get a castle, and how much will I have to defend my town? I swore allegiance, so now I have a town. I was going to build stuff, but I didn't want to spend the money considering the huge number of bandits swarming in the area.

Does the map really change at all? It seems like lots of people are at war with each other, but nothing changes hands. Is the player the only one that can conquer a town?

Besides combat skills, what should I put my points into?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:26 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Well, you can take castles using lots of archers by standing outside and sniping them yourself (and have your own archers help), then retreat when you run out of arrows and repeat. I think it's kinda cheap, but it works.

You'll want to use heavily-armored crossbowmen, like Rhodok Sharpshooters, to reduce your own losses and increase the damage you can deal per round. Crossbows also have better range. I don't recall off the top of my head whether they're significantly more accurate. And keep in mind that you're going to take a morale hit every time you retreat.

The other advantage of a unit like the Rhodok Sharpshooter is that they're actually fairly effective in a melee.
emceng wrote:Played more last night, and I am enjoying it. I do need guidance on use of lackeys. Will they never die? I can just keep letting them get wounded forever? I grabbed three that are all pretty mediocre, but I'm making one a healer, and one a scout. I probably need an engineer

When do I get a castle, and how much will I have to defend my town? I swore allegiance, so now I have a town. I was going to build stuff, but I didn't want to spend the money considering the huge number of bandits swarming in the area.

Does the map really change at all? It seems like lots of people are at war with each other, but nothing changes hands. Is the player the only one that can conquer a town?

Besides combat skills, what should I put my points into?

Your hero companions will never die. They may have personality conflicts with each other; I just dropped the less useful one when that happened. There's one who starts with a few points in Tactics and Engineering; he'll tell you when you talk with him in the tavern that he's an engineer. Don't waste points training anyone else to engineer, just wait until you find him, pump his intelligence for points in Tactics and Engineering, and keep him at the bottom of your party list until he's halfway decent so he's not constantly wounded (which keeps him from contributing party skills).

You can get a castle when, as a vassal, you capture one as the besieging party (not when you assist another besieging party). You have to request that it be awarded to you (if you don't, the King won't decide to give it to you anyway), and then you have to do better than every other lord on a set of random rolls that factor in your renown, relationship with your ruler, and some other things. So make sure your relationship with him is 100 by doing quests for him.

If you don't want to spend time doing quests for your fiefdom to raise your relationship, then building a school early on might be a good idea if you've got the funds. You don't have to stick around while it builds. Otherwise, the first thing I built was a Mill, because the village's prosperity directly influences how much revenue it brings you.

The map does change, although mostly castle-by-castle with a lot of back and forth. The only time in my current game I've seen anyone take a town in a battle I wasn't part of was when the Vaegirs were almost finished off, and the Nords took their second-to-last town. Without the player's involvement, I'm not sure any faction would conquer any other in the native, unmodded game.

As far as your skill points, just keep in mind that you're the only one who can use the "Leader" category skills like Prisoner Management and (of course) Leadership. I like to have multiple people with decent Training skill as it gives you pretty much free upgrades, and you can always choose not to upgrade if you can't afford the cost. Upgrade them right before a large battle when you're likely to lose a lot of guys, and you'll avoid paying the weekly salary for any who die.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:24 pm UTC

There are also two buddies who join you at level one, I love both of them (Ysira and... M[something]. He's the guy who tells you that he's a merchant). Also, there's a graph or chart somewhere that tells you which combinations of buddies which never fight each other

Oh, and usually, I max out Charisma and Leadership. Seriously, 100% of my points go into there. I don't even know why really, because I almost never max out my group, but I still like to do it because none of your other people can max out skills.

Aaaand.... you should rearrange your party as well. When you go into the party screen, you can sort the groups that you bring into battle, the ones on top come out first. Ones you want to train go up on top, ones you don't want to train go on the bottom. Even if they don't kill anyone, if they're in battle, your soldiers get XP. Way more than you would get by leveling up the training skill and waiting around to the end of the day. Of course, training is still useful for when you're doing less dangerous stuff.

Oh and honor does almost nothing. You also get almost no return from improving your villages, I mean villages that you own. Oh, and it's almost impossible to take the last city on a team, because they (the lords) respawn in there, so almost all of the time there are like a thousand troops in that thing.

Also Bakemaster, I'm onto you. You and your editing afterwards, adding new content without me noticing.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm UTC

They respawn without any followers, though, and if you sit around besieging the place for a while they tend to run out of the town for some reason.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:They respawn without any followers, though, and if you sit around besieging the place for a while they tend to run out of the town for some reason.

I've never been patient enough for that though. I just lose interest and start another war.

I spose that's more my fault than anything else though

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

One thing I find incredibly annoying is the inability to call up the Party or Inventory screens during a siege without breaking the siege. I often get new upgrades available while building a siege tower, or want to shuffle around my party order, or swap out my lance for a crossbow/extra bolts, but I can't do any of that without starting all over again.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:56 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:One thing I find incredibly annoying is the inability to call up the Party or Inventory screens during a siege without breaking the siege. I often get new upgrades available while building a siege tower, or want to shuffle around my party order, or swap out my lance for a crossbow/extra bolts, but I can't do any of that without starting all over again.

I *think* there are mods for that, so you might be able to fix it if you go searching around.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:49 am UTC

I always thought you could access your inventory in a battle from a box at your starting location, but there's been a lot of stuff written over the last page that suggests you can't do this in a siege. So, uh.. I wanted to offer that as advice, but I don't think it's applicable. Investigate.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:52 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:I always thought you could access your inventory in a battle from a box at your starting location, but there's been a lot of stuff written over the last page that suggests you can't do this in a siege. So, uh.. I wanted to offer that as advice, but I don't think it's applicable. Investigate.

Already done. The box is there at the start of battles, but not at the start of sieges. That's really annoying when I forget to switch out my lance for extra arrows.

On a different note - is there any way to increase the size of battles? Last night I got into a 300 vs 300 slugfest, which ended up being about 14 different battles. It gets a little annoying chopping up small groups of enemies. Even worse is that the last 2-5 enemies are always on horseback and they're riding around in circles - so I have to chase them down on opposite sides of the map.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:06 pm UTC

emceng wrote:On a different note - is there any way to increase the size of battles? Last night I got into a 300 vs 300 slugfest, which ended up being about 14 different battles. It gets a little annoying chopping up small groups of enemies. Even worse is that the last 2-5 enemies are always on horseback and they're riding around in circles - so I have to chase them down on opposite sides of the map.

In the options menu you can modify the battle size, i think it can go up to 100 per fight, which would reduce your battles from 14 to, say, 3-6. There are mods to increase it above that, but unless your PC is top of the line even 100 is going to be too much.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

Continuing in the theme of large battles, I tried to take on a party of roughly 70 the other day with my party of about 26 (I know, I know, I was just dicking around) but I noticed that while the enemy party had about 20-30 of their guys on the field, I only had about 4. Needless to say this did not turn out well. Is there a reason for this?
--Flobots "Mayday"

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

High tactics means that you get more guys on the field in comparison to them

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

The number of troops on the field will be proportional to the size of the different armies. I don't know if this means that a 100 man army versus a 50 man army will literally* have a 2:1 ratio on the field, but it is definitely represented.

The tactics skill also weighs in on this. If you have a higher tactics skill then you can get as many troops on the field at a time even when you are outnumbered, or can even grossly outnumber their troops on the field. I've gone against armies that outnumbered me say, 4:3, but on the field the ratio was reversed because i had tactics at, like, 8.

*One of the more humorous uses of the word filter, by the way.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Return to “Gaming”