Favorite retro game(s) (Non-PC)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ajbleck

Favorite retro game(s) (Non-PC)

Postby ajbleck » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:31 pm UTC

what is your favorite retro game. Meaning anything from the Snes era and before. Can be console or arcade.

My favorite console game is Earthbound (snes) close second is any of the Final Fantasy games (1-6)
My favorite arcade game is Galaga arrangement and street fighter
"Android Hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign of defiance." GLaDOS
ImageImage

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Favorite retro game(s)

Postby aion7 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:57 am UTC

I cannot make this choice. Chrono Trigger, Megaman 2, Street Fighter 2, Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Super Mario World, Rocket Knight Adventures, and so much more.

I can't even figure out my favorite 16-bit Castlevania game.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Figment

Postby Figment » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:48 am UTC

I still feel a strong affinity for Mortal Kombat (on Genesis: the reason video games started having a rating system)
"Once you duct-tape a Ziploc bag to a man's chest, there's no going back."

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Figment wrote:I still feel a strong affinity for Mortal Kombat (on Genesis: the reason video games started having a rating system)

Pretty sure that was because of Night Trap.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

It wasn't because of a single game, but rather a collection of games - Mortal Kombat and Night Trap being among them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Dune II.
It was a pretty good game. I loved the devastators and deviators.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:15 pm UTC

I still have Dune II - it's a pretty screwed up version though. It's on an old Acorn computer I was given and it seems to be half in English and half in German. So it gets quite difficult when your Mentat asks you information between levels as part of the piracy protection.

That and Dune 2000. It's essentially the same as Dune II, but in the C&C:RA engine.

*wanders off to play it*

Actually, is it possible to get Wolfenstein 3D anywhere these days? Because said acorn had a demo of the game, and I've always wanted to play the full version.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Yours had piracy prevention stuff? Mine just played normally. Mine has no piracy prevention other than the fact it only runs on riskos. Which is effectively a stopping point as only my acorn has that.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:28 am UTC

Maaaan I loved the intro of Dune II. It had VOICES and shit.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

someguy

Postby someguy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:49 am UTC

Jumpman. I first played it on a friend's 'portable' (a huge, heavy behemoth with a 9" green phosphor CRT and two 5 1/4" drives, no hard disk) PC over 20 years back. We'd spend DAYS playing Jumpman, even stay awake entire nights. Good times. The floppy disk was a self-booting thing which couldn't be read from DOS, and some of the levels didn't work, so at one point I thought I'd take it home and run Disk Doctor on it.

It never worked again.
aleflamedyud wrote:Plenty of people have confidence without any base of actual virtue or accomplishment beneath it. We call these people "douchebags".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

Draaglom wrote:Actually, is it possible to get Wolfenstein 3D anywhere these days? Because said acorn had a demo of the game, and I've always wanted to play the full version.
Looks like here. Or, if you're wanting non-Windows versions, check here
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

ACU-LP wrote:Yours had piracy prevention stuff? Mine just played normally. Mine has no piracy prevention other than the fact it only runs on riskos. Which is effectively a stopping point as only my acorn has that.

Aye, the Mentat would ask you arcane information about the various game units - How the hell am I supposed to know what armor rating a concrete foundation has?
At which point he would proclaim 'traitor' or somesuch and the game would exit :(
SecondTalon wrote:Looks like here. Or, if you're wanting non-Windows versions, check here
You just made my day :)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

If thats the era of gaming we're pointing to, X-Com TFTD was hands down the best game released. I still find it challenging and fun, and wish more games approached it's quality.

E.V.O. was a good dose of mindless fun.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If thats the era of gaming we're pointing to, X-Com TFTD was hands down the best game released. I still find it challenging and fun, and wish more games approached it's quality.

E.V.O. was a good dose of mindless fun.

I'd love to play a more... intuitively playable version of that. I've tried to get into it but just... argh. HATE the interface.
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

I think the thread you're looking for is here. Questions generally end in question marks, by the way :P
Gee, you think a thread that's asking about console and arcade games should be merged in to the Retro-PC thread? Wowie Zowie!

Seriously, use the damn report function. - ST
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

CVSoul

Postby CVSoul » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:01 pm UTC

Ghosts N Goblins. It's like IWBTG that takes quarters, and can't be beaten by memorization. Pure molten evil -- that is, except for the Mega64 version.
kellsbells wrote:My other car is a plain, unmarked white van.

Coin

Postby Coin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If thats the era of gaming we're pointing to, X-Com TFTD was hands down the best game released. I still find it challenging and fun, and wish more games approached it's quality.

Aw, I love that game. The first one set the benchmark and Terror From the Deep gave you more of a Good Thing. I'd recommend X-Com Apocalypse as well if you havn't already given it a go: it's not as big space wise, but it makes up for it in details of the city it is situated in.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Return to “Gaming”