WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: WoWzers!

Postby parkaboy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:27 am UTC

i have done a very bad thing this day.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:50 am UTC

I just found something very fun to do in battlegrounds:

Throw grenades down into the enemy flagroom from the roof in Warsong Gulch, after infiltrating their base in stealth as a rogue. They scramble around looking for someone that isn't there. Sometimes they send people to the roof if they figure it out---sometimes everyone in the flag room---and if you're really lucky, you can give the flag runner a head start while they're distracted.

Alternatively, you can test whether any rogues and hidden enemies are in the flag room by throwing an explosive down there, and they reveal themselves. This is especially good when your side just scored a point, and all of their defense is on the opposite side of the playing field. Then you can jump down, get their flag, go for the speed boots, and sprint when that effect wears off. Sometimes they get wise and learn to ignore the explosives, though...

Additionally, it's just plain fun to use a /cast sap /moo or /cast sap /laugh macro. They really get annoyed when you do that. Also, mages can just sheep from the roof for more fun. Sometimes hunters and warlocks send their pets to the roof while they stay in the flag room, and as an X1 in an X0-X9 bracket, those can be dangerous, but if you run around the giant cube in the center of the roof to the opposite side, their AI usually gives up and it leaves.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:10 am UTC

parkaboy wrote:i have done a very bad thing this day.

Whazat?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:24 am UTC

posted by me yesterday on another forum

oh christ. i just got done grinding 10k honor.

and the game only calculated 5k of it. :(

that was over a timeframe of 7 to 5 in the morning. horrible pvp grind

but in better news, the game recalculated and i got 4.7k today. so all i needed to do was win an eots and tomorrow i will have my gladiator mainhand :D

and i have mats for mongoose in the bank for extra win. yay!

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:38 am UTC

LEVEL 70! Wooh, flying mount, getting geared, farming primals, it's pretty fun.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:42 pm UTC

Shadow Council (not my choice, I was peer pressured and bribed), Night Elf Druid, a few hours away from level 65. I usually stop playing when the semester starts, so I'm behind. Went to BlizzCon last year, anyone else go?
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:13 am UTC

I remember me and a friend getting about 37k Honor a Day AFTER calculated...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:21 am UTC

Does anybody else remember when a 45 minute AV was short?

God, I remember waiting 3-4 hours to get into AV. It was a legit excuse to leave an instance when AV popped. Just about to last boss and 'Ummmm guys... AV just popped. I have to go. Sorry, so sorry, but you understand'.

Man, field of strife was a WARZONE. The amount of HKs you'd get there was astronomical. I honestly remember being in an AV that was stuck because one side had summoned their Ubermob (yes, there is a way to do that nubs) and all the defense for alliance was back at base. There was no progression, and some MS warrior had like 1.2k HKs, and something like 300 kbs.

Just looked at the screenshot I took of it... it was a 9 hour game when I entered.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

WoWzers, Penny.

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 am UTC

My first AV was a seven hour affair. I queued for just over an hour (being Alliance 'n' all) and there was a 1 hour skirmish, followed by a 5 hour stalemate slog, with a steadily rising pile of skeletons on the Dun Baldur trail, on the ridge of the Icewing Bunker. We were winning in the first hour, and the Horde's numbers were dwindling, but then they pushed on in a massive offensive, which took us all the way back to our own base. As a Mage with an affinity for area-of-effect icy spells, I took out what felt like an entire battalion of horde which funnelled onto the bridge, as they were all rooted to the spot in a freeze trap, and having wave after wave of delicious icy shards rain down upon them. None of them picked me out amongst the throng, and my damage meter was off the chart. Not to mention my screen cluttering up with constant HK signs. It was a glorious last stand. Until I was, at last, picked off by a sharp-eyed hunter. We lost the battle within minutes as they poured over the bridge. I'll never forget that first experience. No other AV battle has ever matched up to it.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:34 am UTC

Nothing can ever match the old-school experience of Alterac Valley pre-patches 1.11 and beyond, when they gradually nerfed the BG.

Back then, you could sign up for AV at the start of an evening session, and not get in until midnight, by which point you'd finished Stratholme twice. Now, you struggle to finish (read: lose comprehensively on Alliance) one match in Eye of the Storm before AV pops up.

Gone are the days when capping the mines and returning the supplies for 20 silver a batch to launch a ground assault was important.
Gone are the days when armour scrap hand-ins were necessary for base defense.
Gone are the days when you had to wade through 50 upgradable NPC's to reach graveyards, towers and bunkers.
Gone are the days when AV was an effective rep grind for alternate mounts.
Gone are the days when a server AV match had to be pre-arranged on realm forums to motivate both sides to sign up the necessary 40 people.
Gone are the days when the cavalry charges were often done and were considered an advantage.
Gone are the days of the tactical air force strikes.
Gone are the days of Ivus and Lokholar.
Gone are the days when a small set of hunters/mages/warlocks/boomkin/shadow priests could hold Dun Baldar bridge with a mix of AoE and direct damage attacks from a far. Horde would sit their 30 mins after taking Stormpike GY, then get pounded crossing the gorge.
Gone are the days of Korrak the Bloodrager, and all other various native creatures of the valley.
Gone are the days when Ice Barbed Spear and Bloodseeker were the only reasons to play AV.
Gone are the days of racking up anything more than 100 honourable kills.
Gone are the days of Field of Strife zergfests and other wars of attrition.

I honestly think they ripped the soul out of AV, to switch it to a more fast-paced BG. They should have left the 30-minute games to WSG, AB and EotS. The concept of AV was this epic battlefield struggle between two major clans of the horde and alliance, where the player is an assistant to the war, not fulfilling all key roles at once.
Now AV is empty. What once had 500 NPCs scattered around for a certain purpose, now has about 200, but only 20 of whom are worth paying a visit. All it is now is 80 players charging past one-another, racing to the general, with 10-20 possibly splintering off to fulfill support/defense roles.

I think it's safe to say that you can't call yourself a WoW veteran unless you experienced a 24hr battle of Alterac Valley, back in the good ol' days.

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:36 pm UTC

Why would they give shamans and hunters mortal strike for PvE purposes, when half the bosses don't heal.. I think blizzard uses PvE as an excuse to buff PvP
Just like they did for the warlocks! Hey blue men! wheres the pally Love! increasing the cost of an already expensive holy shock ain't cool Don't taze me bro! don't taze me!!
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Back then, you could sign up for AV at the start of an evening session, and not get in until midnight, by which point you'd finished Stratholme twice. Now, you struggle to finish (read: lose comprehensively on Alliance) one match in Eye of the Storm before AV pops up.

You're Alliance, aren't you?

Horde AV queue times are at the very least an hour on Bloodlust.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Sometimes the join battleground now? window would pop up before I'd click the "I'd like to join the battleground" option on my Horde character.

It's that fast.

Once I joined AV at 51 and didn't get invited in until I was 60 on my Alliance character.

It's that slow.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:47 pm UTC

You guys have weird battlegroups.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

I play Alliance on the Thunderhorn-EU PvE server, linked in with the Cyclone battlegroup. These days we find the Horde regularly running pre-mades, notably from Ravencrest, Skullcrusher and Shadowmoon (I think they're the major culprits, and probably PvP servers). Facing a horde pre-made in Alterac Valley is a sure-fire way to get your ass handed to you.

With respect to Flame-Mortal-Strike-Tongue Weapon and Aimed-Mortal-Strike-Shot, I wouldn't say they're really PvE bonuses. A small amount of level 70 raid bosses are capable of healing, or come with a retinue consisting of healer(s), but I wouldn't say the abilities are much needed for PvE progression. Most guilds at the 25-man level would have at least one Arms warrior present, so the upgrades don't really elevate hunters/enhancement shamans much, or pressure changed in PvE playstyle.

They were definitely intended as PvP/Arena buffs for abilities that both classes previously overlooked, and attacks that lacked the special something for PvP. Hunters had to weigh the possibility of a 3000-damage critical hit against the long charge time and the likelihood of targets moving out of range/line of sight. Shamans would opt for Windfury/Frostbrand at PvP.

Successful 2v2 teams usually opt for one heavy damage class, with a healer as back-up. It does become very one-sided when facing a rogue/hunter/warrior constantly being spammed by a healadin, so I will honestly say that Aimedmortalstrikeshot and Flamemortalstriketongue are valid and appreciated buffs. Especially when you tie in the fact that hunters get ArcaneDispellShot and Deadzone-removal from the same patch ^.^

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

On a side note I always face Premade alliance on my horde :( makes me cry
I spent 8 hours trying to win one AV ..it took me 8 hours.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

I'm always annoyed that I joined WoW after BC came out, way missing the old epic days of true AV. Maybe Blizzard's new PvP zone with seige machines and stuff in Wrath might become like that. They should at least make one BG or PvP zone with the epicness of old-school AV. I would love to have experienced it, it sounds amazing.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

My first 70! Warlock named Furae on Anub'Arak, any suggestions of what to do now? How should I get geared for example?
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Nyssa

Postby Nyssa » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

I hit 65 last night! Woo!
I've been sent to give you a singing mammogram.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:27 pm UTC

"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:20 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:http://worldofwarcraft.com/community/comics/images/ss185.jpg

Buwhahahah!

I liked that too..
Prolly a lot of youngin's that didn't get it!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:57 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:http://worldofwarcraft.com/community/comics/images/ss185.jpg

Buwhahahah!

I liked that too..
Prolly a lot of youngin's that didn't get it!

I can just.. uh... audialise? (Like visualise except for sound...) Him saying "OH GOD WHHYY!?!"

That is so great and would be the best Prank or Aprils Fools to ever play on WoW players.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:18 am UTC

Cryopyre wrote:My first 70! Warlock named Furae on Anub'Arak, any suggestions of what to do now? How should I get geared for example?

holy SHIT!!?!?

more than six people play on anub'arak?! It's like the world's shittiest server with the weirdest AH in history (i have a writeup explaining the horrible AH somewhere..)

are you horde or alliance?

if horde--hit up Hyperiom, level 52 warrior
if alliance--don't gank Hyperiom, level 52 warrior.
uhhhh fuck.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Horde, and yeah, it sucks

Oh, and that name, sounds damned familiar

Givenup

Postby Givenup » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:07 am UTC

well seeing as im new to the site and i do play i have a 68 dwarf pally on the sever uldaman and i started a horde warrior a week befor i got kicked off becasue of school

also have alts on the ally
You dont hate the Style, Just create your own.

Drew115

Postby Drew115 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:29 pm UTC

I've got a lvl 70 Warlock and Rogue on Scilla, Alliance.

Aradae

Postby Aradae » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I really hate it that every time I get back into the game the low level items at the AH are way too freaking overpriced. I mean come on! 5 silver for an 6 slot bag?
Guys guys guys! I found Russel's teapot! . . . nevermind, it was just Jesus flying to Mars again.

Givenup

Postby Givenup » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:41 am UTC

lol 5 silver for a 6 slot when you can make it for 50 copper
seriusly though the low level stuff in ah dos suck with pricing and for 70 its a pain to farm money for your alts when your geting money for enchants and what not
You dont hate the Style, Just create your own.

ChooChoo

Postby ChooChoo » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 am UTC

Kalecgos is raping my guild. In more than one way.

After our first night of attempts, our main tank ninja transferred, and our best geared healer (shaman in 5/5 t6 w/ Illidan trinket) gamequit.

It's not even that hard of a fight, to be honest.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

ChooChoo wrote:Kalecgos is raping my guild. In more than one way.

After our first night of attempts, our main tank ninja transferred, and our best geared healer (shaman in 5/5 t6 w/ Illidan trinket) gamequit.

What the fuck? How does shit like that happen? All the guilds I have been in everyone (especially the main, most geared people) are really friendly and close. No one ever ninja transfers, they'd never gamequit without telling people in advance. The only time the guild breaks up is when we get bigger and new shitty people come in and start complaining about shit.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:31 pm UTC

In both of the above cases, I really can't understand their motives.
Guild at the Sunwell Plateau stage, having fully farmed Black Temple and Mount Hyjal, then the main tank and main healer both leave? Surely a full set of Tier 6 gear and being on the leading edge of a server's PvE raid progression, not to mention a guild of people they'd have obviously forged a bond/friendship/loyalty with, would be enough incentive to at least stick around in the same guild, let alone jump server or stop playing altogether. Although, this is me talking from the perspective of having a few slices of Tier 4 / Battlegrounds / Arena gear, so maybe it's different for them.

With the new patch, I am amazed at how well Blizzard catered for all players:
- Hardcore raiders get a new instance to finish off Burning Crusade with after downing Illidan and Archimonde
- Softcore raiders / PvE players get a new level 70 instance with a heroic wing available
- Grinders and farmers get Isle of Quel'Danis and another 20 daily quests to power through again and again
- Heroic-farmers get respectable T6 items for obscene amounts of badges of justice
- PvP'ers have some cases of class twerking and editing of BG/Arena features to keep them happily farming their Season gear for another 6 months
- Easy-to-obtain starter PvP set for those who just dinged 70 and can't bear the thought of getting Mortally Struck for 3000 damage on a Gladiator's Greatsword - definitely a worthwhile 'humane' addition.

What was not great about Patch 2.4, was that for a large minority of players (including me), the 2.3.3 -> 2.4 changes seriously messed with the patch.mpq Data file, and crashing WoW from a corrupt environment texture error, forcing people to repatch from 2.0.0 stage and wait 8 hours for 1.1 GB of patch data to download.

Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:35 am UTC

ChooChoo wrote:Kalecgos is raping my guild. In more than one way.

Kalecgos is the funnest fight in the game right now in my opinion. Very intense, requires high communication. Not the hardest fight, as you said, but one of the best.

Brutallus, on the other hand...

28k damage within 2 seconds = fun :shock:

I'm more looking forward to the 3v3 tournament. Anyone else joining?

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:10 am UTC

i've thought about it, but i realize 20$ i have to cough up is a month and a half of wow that i'm losing.

damn i should get a job.

sounds fun thouhg. i'd be the world's best-geared PROT SPEC ARENA WARRIOR...
just for conc blow, lol.
uhhhh fuck.

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:01 am UTC

I'm considering signing up for the arena realms. But for me it would essentially be a paid version of the test realms. I've only played hunter at top level on retail, and then a 70 shaman on private funservers. I wouldn't consider myself PvP material with either of them, but I suppose I could pay the cash just for the kicks I might get out of running round in a full T5 set. I've also only played a limited amount of 3v3 matches, so I wouldn't really perform that well.

Without any PvE encounters on the server, you got these options:
- Sit around looking cool in your gear next to all the others looking cool in their gear and duel them
- Occasional world PvP (allegedly)
- Run around an empty version of Azeroth
- Succeed magnificently in the arenas and have lots of fun
- Fail miserably in the arenas and hurl your keyboard out the window

Although, the idea of running an arena as a full prot-spec warrior would be great for screwing around with everyone, backed up by a pair of semi-invincible healers. I'm guessing a druid dream-team of feral, resto and balance specs would work wonders.

sunami

Postby sunami » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:32 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:I'm guessing a druid dream-team of feral, resto and balance specs would work wonders.

I did a 3v3 with my lvl 66 green geared rogue, and 2 other rogues in equally bad gear, and the first team we went up against was a feral+resto+balance druid. As soon as we got out and realized that all 6 of us were in stealth, we all laughed, and I'm assuming they did too.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:10 pm UTC

Now this. This is a weapon.

Vanguard

If only this were Real...

Postby Vanguard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/wrath/fe ... dclass.xml

I love the undead with the axe-guitar.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:32 pm UTC

I love how it's "rock damage".

I wish this April's Fools was slightly believable though.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:38 pm UTC

I don't see level 70 weapons much, does damage get that high?

Dongorath

Postby Dongorath » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:I don't see level 70 weapons much, does damage get that high?

Yep. Example : http://thottbot.com/i28773 (the axe dropped by the last boss of Karazhan (my current weapon (I'm aiming for the sword dropped by Zul'Jin (last boss of Zul'Aman))))

Return to “Gaming”