WoWzers!

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Re: WoWzers!

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Except elitism has nothing to do with being elite, but just the perception of such. Lots of guilds progress well and go far and are "cutting edge" without being elitist pricks.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Givenup

Postby Givenup » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:05 am UTC

i really do think that its fun to do old content seeing as its a good place to get good team work skills in line for when your actully in kara or zg but they still are fun for any new people that are playing! i myself have done Mc and Zg my server dosnt really have old raids going but we are an active raiding server and always people in Goldshire to mess with
You dont hate the Style, Just create your own.

leigao84

Postby leigao84 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Except elitism has nothing to do with being elite, but just the perception of such. Lots of guilds progress well and go far and are "cutting edge" without being elitist pricks.

Well that's not what elitism means to me. It means that since i take the time and the effort to research encounters, calculate relative value of upgrades, and optimize my moves, I would expect no less from the people I play with days in and days out. And frankly all the people that complain about guilds being so selective and such. Well the game has been out for three years. You should know basic things like dps in melee range will pull aggro when you go above 110% on the previous target's threat and it's 130% outside melee range, when you pull threat and then feign death (as a hunter ofcourse) the mob goes to the closest person with high threat not necessarily the tank again, ice block is not an aggro dump, challenging shout is not a taunt since it generates no threat, taunt only gives you the previous target's threat for 3 seconds... the list goes on and on.

I kid you not, once we were attempting Battleguard in AQ40 (this was pre-BC and AQ40 was end game). Someone asked why don't we try to sheep the adds...
"Cutting Edge" have lots of meanings too. To me it means that you're at least attempting the Twins or maybe even Mu'ru, to others it might be ROS+ in BT, and if the most you've done is Kara than 4/5 MH, 3/9 BT might sound deep to you until you find out that MH is a joke and the first three in BT requires no effort.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:53 am UTC

What I meant is the "noone should make a single mistake" attitude, and willinglessness to accept sub-par performance sometimes.

Stuff like the guild which I was in at 60 (which broke up before they finished BWL) "gkicked if you aggro imps, -200 DKP if you aggro whelps, gkicked if you bomb the raid" etc. (And yes, they were serious and gkicked people for that). As if it's impossible to make a mistake every now and then.

Then you add in Screaming/Yelling at the top of your voice ALL THE TIME, because APPARENTLY yelling gets the message across better. Then the elitist when you're not attitude "What the fuck guys, you are fucking pathetic this encounter should be easy, we have the gear (no we don't) and the coordination for it (no we definitely don't) so someone is fucking up bad and they're gunna get gkicked for it".

Or my 2nd guild at 60, "Gear goes to who we say it does, which just happens to be the most geared and who we consider most "elite" regardless of how much you actually contribute to the guild, or y'know, the fact that that you out dps all the epiced out rogues anyway"

Being discriminatorily (is that a word?) elitist about:

You should know basic things like dps in melee range will pull aggro when you go above 110% on the previous target's threat and it's 130% outside melee range, when you pull threat and then feign death (as a hunter ofcourse) the mob goes to the closest person with high threat not necessarily the tank again, ice block is not an aggro dump, challenging shout is not a taunt since it generates no threat, taunt only gives you the previous target's threat for 3 seconds... the list goes on and on.

Is like expecting people to not have bought their level 70s of Ebay. It's not really being discriminatory, it's just common sense not to gimp yourself. It's hardly being elitist (in the discriminatory sense). Like I'd expect rogues to know how to spec decently, and know that the best DPS rotation is SnD/Rupture (except maybe if you're running double deadly as mutilate with imp envenom damage on a mob with no nature resist, but that is an aggro drawer...).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

FoS

Postby FoS » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:59 pm UTC

Meh, I have very strong feelings about sub-par performance in Raids.

I've been a hardcore Raider since I dinged 60. I did everything from ZG to Naxx and I loved every minute of it.
I take Raiding seriously and so I give it my all and I expect the people I raid with to do the same.

That means knowing your class, enchanting and gemming your gear, not running into the trash screaming "Leeroy" thinking your the next big comedian act and not standing in the fire.

I always play Melee DPS so I kno the role pretty darn well, especially since I've raided as a Warrior, Shaman, Rogue, Priest, Retloladin, Feral Druid, Hunter.
I kno not everyone gets it 100% but as long as they not sitting 8% behind my Damage Done, or behind the Prot Warriors and they don't wipe the Raid needlessly (Aggro on Hydross mid transition makes me spew profanities) then I have no issues with them in the Raid.

Unfortunately if you want to down the likes of Vashj/Kael/Ros and upwards you need a Raid full of people like that.
I kno DKP isn't everyones favourite (we use Suicide Kings loot list and it works awesomely) but you do need some kind of method to make sure gear is evenly distributed.
As for Raid scheduling, without it don't expect to progress very far without an enormous guild.

We've kept our to less then 70 players (including some casuals) and our recruiting is very specific. If we not looking for a class and they apply they get turned down regardless of how good they are or their gear.

As for my Warrior, well he's just getting better and better. I got my Champion of the Naaru title last night coz we had a casual Raiding night of mopping up content, so we did Gruul, Maggy, Doomwalker and some leftover SSC.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:03 am UTC

And none of that is elitist at all, I'm referring to going off at someone for say, for a simple example, lagging and moving during Aran's Flame Wreath. If someone did that in one of my old guilds, they would be kicked from the guild instantly (of course, double standards for the officers/GMs), regardless of the reason, then possibly badmouthed on the forums until no one accepted them into a guild ever again.

With a "leaders decide loot according to some rule" (in my case it went to who it benefits the guild the most) as long as your leaders aren't dickheads then loot will be "evenly distributed". DKP benefits the 'hardcore' and the lucky (managing to get into raids). In my guild at 60 I attended 70%+ of the raids (most were at 6am or 4am my time) and I had a fair bit of DKP but I only ever got 2 epics, why? Because shit wouldn't drop for me when I was in the raid and when it did drop and I happened to be there, there would be, lets say, a prot warrior who wanted fury gear to out bid me.

Not only that but I still outdpsed all the epiced out rogues, upon questioning I just said "I try to do the most DPS I can the best I can on every fight, even trash". I contributed more DPS to the run than Epiced out Hunters/Mages/Locks/Other-Rogues/DPS-Warriors on EVERY run I went on (assuming equal playing field) but I still got shit all thanks to DKP.

DKP is more susceptible to subtle favouritism because the leaders unwittingly give gear (through DKP) to those who they invite more often to raids. Or when they open the raid schedule (for me, when I was asleep, etc). The favouritism is one more step away (via dkp) rather then right next to them so it's harder to keep checks on whether the gear is being fairly distributed. DKP is a horrible horrible system, it's much simpler to just have non-dickhead leaders with GOOD leadership and organisation skills.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:44 pm UTC

I don't suppose anyone here was involved in the epicness and awesomeness on Sporeggar EU yesterday? :D

FoS

Postby FoS » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:35 pm UTC

Triss Hawkeye wrote:I don't suppose anyone here was involved in the epicness and awesomeness on Sporeggar EU yesterday? :D

Nope, do tell though.

@Gelsamel, yeah I agree that that kind of behaviour is unacceptable elitism.

I'm still not sold on no DKP for 25man content though but as I said we're using a Round Robin system and we have no issues at all.

I had an interesting weekend myself.

I thought I'd suite up and give Arms a go. I ended up respeccing 7 times this weekend as I bounced from Arms to Prot to Fury to Arms to Prot and back. A lot.

I did it to fill casual gaps in a Gruul pug and a Kara run.

I ended up tanking Kara for the first time as a Warrior and had a good laugh.
Except for some FailHealing on Nightbane (Shield block was indeed up when I died and I am Crushing Immune) the run went really well.
We even pulled in one of the guildies cousin who is a 14 year old girl who has never raided and has just hit 70.
She did a suprisingly good job much to my delight.

All in all some good fun.
"...working as intended"

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Postby Lumpy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:06 am UTC

I kind of wasted about a month of a World of Warcraft subscription because it felt like my little gnome had to switch between the Stormwind, Darnassus, and Ironforge quest sets to avoid hitting a wall where you never stand a chance if you do not have a group, and that made it less fun. I also PvPed for gear too much.

Eventually I spent half the time fooling around in the enemy base tricking them into thinking I was in their flag room by throwing grenades down from the roof and making them wander aimlessly. Also, stunning them for 10 seconds in stealth while doing /moo and /laugh was great. Except when I tried it in the Arathi Highlands, it got me tagged by the local Horde level 70s for maiming and /spit a lot.

I have the Scroll of Resurrection option that will one day allow me to go back to World of Warcraft for ten days for free, with The Burning Crusade added, so I'm wondering when the best time for this would be. It would probably be two months in the future, at least, because I've got more than enough to do right now. After Wrath of the Lich King is released? I'd probably spend the entire 10 day trial on a new blood elf character.

Triss Hawkeye

Postby Triss Hawkeye » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

FoS wrote:
Triss Hawkeye wrote:I don't suppose anyone here was involved in the epicness and awesomeness on Sporeggar EU yesterday? :D

Nope, do tell though.

Well Turpster, one of the hosts on WoW Radio, threw an event on Sporeggar to celebrate his shadow priest dinging 70. So he organises a raid woth him as the boss, goes over to Dun Morogh and hides in the troll cave and challenges people to make gnomes or dwarves of levels 1 to 6 to down him. About 200 gnomes turned up, plus several players Horde-side to spectate (me included). Then after he was downed he was ressurected and proceeded into Ironforge followed by a huge train of gnomes and dwarves, where he dinged in the deeprun tram by summoning that Archmage dude from the Netherstorm quests. There are a few videos of the 'dingstravaganza' on YouTube.

All in all, pretty epic. :D

Mercy

Postby Mercy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:13 pm UTC

I most certainly play WoW.

It's kind of sad that I can thank that silly MMORPG for a lot of social growth over the past 2 years.

I have a 70 Nelf priest on Outland, raiding BT/SWP with a national guild which I am very fond of. Transferred from Jaedenar a month before the TBC launch and never looked back again. The people I raid with make up a good chunk of my social circle, I've had 2 rather strong relationships grow out of it and made a large number of very good friends. Though we progress slower, I have to say that a national guild is simply made of win and some ice cream on top of it. When we down something, we go out and celebrate it together and generally have a lot of social meet-ups.

*is already looking forward to a meet-up in July and a 3 day bash in August*

Ah, WoW, the childishly animated game of much obsession, how I adore thee.
"I don't have any solution but I certainly admire the problem." -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Givenup

Postby Givenup » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

Mercy, wow thats great because when i started i was on anvilmar and had a rogue.
i did fine on my own but my brother plays as well and he was on uldum with his friends. and one day the guild i was in kept giving me crap because i was level 20 and they said i leveled to slowly so i then walked into my bros room and said. "you mind jumping on the server to see this?" he did and brought a friend along and they sat and listened to the stupid ranting.
so they wispered me and said why dont you start a char on are server join the guild that was just about 8 or 9 people that played in it. Really i never looked back from there. i started my pally and leveled up so fast that i had to much fun with it..seeing as this was last year before the 20-60 was 1/3 faster i had my fun geting to 60. but what im geting at was that the 9 people that played where my brother his 2 friends me and youth pastors that we know and two friends from canida.
but the local people would meet on the weekend and play a few rounds of air soft and then go back to someones house have lunch and then we go back to are housed and get on and have fun with what we where doing.
But then me and a friend left to join a raiding guild and then the guild broke up. we look back on it and say "you want to start it again?"
but those kind of guilds are the best when it comes to this game because i wasnt rushed to level but level to 50 in a month along with having things to do. so i think i did good for that
You dont hate the Style, Just create your own.

FoS

Postby FoS » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:41 am UTC

Triss Hawkeye wrote:
FoS wrote:

Nope, do tell though.

Well Turpster, one of the hosts on WoW Radio, threw an event on Sporeggar to celebrate his shadow priest dinging 70. So he organises a raid woth him as the boss, goes over to Dun Morogh and hides in the troll cave and challenges people to make gnomes or dwarves of levels 1 to 6 to down him. About 200 gnomes turned up, plus several players Horde-side to spectate (me included). Then after he was downed he was ressurected and proceeded into Ironforge followed by a huge train of gnomes and dwarves, where he dinged in the deeprun tram by summoning that Archmage dude from the Netherstorm quests. There are a few videos of the 'dingstravaganza' on YouTube.

All in all, pretty epic. :D

That is frikkin cool. I wish I'd known about it. I would made and alt to join in the fun.
"...working as intended"

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Guys, I am reactivating my account soon after months of not playing. What have I missed? I quit before that huge patch where the amount of dailies you could do per day was upped to 25. Ugh, I am so not looking forward to updating my mods...
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

une see wrote:Guys, I am reactivating my account soon after months of not playing. What have I missed? I quit before that huge patch where the amount of dailies you could do per day was upped to 25. Ugh, I am so not looking forward to updating my mods...

you and i are on the same page, man. i went to that place with all the dailies for shattered sun and was blown away at how much i missed

but in better news, i am getting ~120 fps in wow whereas before I was getting 17, max.

yay!

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:11 pm UTC

many purps this week! now that i'm playing full-time (with 60fps at that), my character is getting geared pretty quickly.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Theory

new cape, bracers, belt, pants, ring, trinket. :)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:56 pm UTC

Grats. (Btw you better have another character called Fact)

This Midsummer Festival = the best festival EVER for leveling. Seriously.

Fire Festival Fury Buff:
+3 Spell and Melee Crit, and a 50 Fire Damage Reflection Shield (which can crit at spellcrit rate I think). For 1 Hour (costs 1 blossom to get again)

Ribbon Dance Buff:
+10% EXP which lasts for an amount proportional to the time that you spend ribbon dancing. (It takes a few mins to channel it up to a 60min buff)

Bonfire Blessing thing buff:
30% chance on melee, spell, or ranged hit to deal (level)*10 extra fire damage (ie, 500 extra damage at level 50, which by the way is a fucking lot). Can crit, I think it takes melee crit for melee, ranged crit for ranged and spell crit for spells. Also crits at 2x regardless of the type of crit used. (ie. not 1.5 for spell). [This buff lasts as long as your in an area with a friendly bonfire that is lit]

That's not all!

Quest: Honor the Flame
At any friendly bonfire (at every friendly faction settlement) you can "Honor the Flame" or "Honor the Fire" which ever. And get 3400 EXP (at level 50).

Quest: Desecrate the Flame (or fire... which ever).
At any opposing faction's bonfire (at every opposing faction's settlement) you can desecrate their flame and get 6800 EXP (at level 50).

And you can do those two quests at EVERY settlement. They BOTH just require you to talk to a person/fire.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:37 am UTC

... All that experience, seriously? Woah. I was aware of the Ribbon Dance buff (interesting switch to increase in XP instead of increase in fire resistance, which was useful for MC raiding over those summer periods), but those XP gains for the bonfire quests look quite significant.

*Vows to pull his shaman out of Exodar to participate just as soon as his main hunter does the World Tour of Azeroth to get all the Burning Blossoms*
It's quite useful that my hunter had previously engaged in this event previously, as I kept the shoulderpads and helm from the custom set in my bank. Saves about 100 or so that I would need to grab. Think the sandals item I need 200-300 more of the tokens, them I'm done.

That's one thing I really admire about the game, there's so much junk and custom appearance item sets, especially from the world events periods, that there's something for everyone. You got the tuxedos, rare drops, Lunar Festival, Brewfest, Midsummer Fire Festival (and I do intend on ninja'ing that Frostscythe by the end of it for its kick ass-appearance), pre-TBC content [which generally looks far superior and 'epic' to some of the crap at T4/T5 level], then also the new Spanish Matador/Sombrero outfit they're adding with the next patch (including a quest where you go back in time to Old Hillsbrad, jump upon one guy to steal his hat, then give it back to him in the present day, which apparently from the full quest text will set up an interesting causal paradox.

Ooooh what else to talk about...
Season 4 comes up this week, which should be fun. I'm quite pleased almost all the new gear gets ratings requirements, as giving any random farmer Sunwell Plateau -tier equivalent PvP gear doesn't seem fair to be honest.
Quite pleased that the release is not that prolonged, as I've already gone beyond the 40k honour points level (out of a maximal cap of 75k) with the view to save up for a 2/3 items on the release to get a mix-and-match Gladiator's set finished off.
Also quite keen on the Season 2 crossbow that has a base dps far greater than the Sunfury Bow from Kara I'm PvE'ing with these days, and a fairly decent speed for shot cycling.

Saturday I had an entertaining afternoon PUG 70 raid on Molten Core. Due to a distinct lack of AoE-classes (no magi), we struggled at the Core Hound pulls before Magmadar, and went through about 5 resets of one pack until people got their act together to down them coherently.
Quite a few pieces of Shaman, Warlock and Druid sets dropping, good when only 1 player of each of those classes is there. Oh and we had the Bananabringer paladin T1 shoulders drop. Some clueless hunter got Giantstalker Boots that were essentially an upgrade over the random mid-60s greens he was in, and I got a nice [Obsidian Edged Blade] - one drop from Garr, that under the loot rules was randomly-allocated to one player in the raid, could then choose "keep, shard or 'sell' to another raider".
Rogue opted for sell, I paid 120g in an interesting bidding war for what does rank as one of the more impressive pieces of weaponry in the game. It's completely arms warrior/retridin though, with +42 STR and +Expertise, but a nice thing to slice with. Now for a crusader enchant...

Patch 2.4.3 looks interesting. Can't say I approve of the change of basic level 40 ground mounts for level 30's really. An undying aspect of rich MMO's has to be the timesink. Giving players that access to their rams, horses, kodos and raptors only a while after they leave their heavily defended racial zones (in terms of levelling areas) removes the sense of scale and wonder you only gain from spending 20 minutes running to Booty Bay (40 if you factor evading the gankers, fighting off some panthers and gorillas and then a corpse-run or two).
I agree that the change balances the 30-39 bracket for WSG slightly, as the druid flag carriers will be less unbeatable, and makes it easier for the casually hardcore guys taking an alt up the levels for Outland, but in the case of n00bs and newbies, they will expect it handed out to them like social services when they ding 30, without realising that requirement for the 50, 60 gold to purchase it. 10 levels of conservative spending and questing racked up the cash for my hunter, I don't think the common new starter would have such income in the 20-29 stretch.

No tl;dr for you sorry.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:44 pm UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:...

Patch 2.4.3 looks interesting. Can't say I approve of the change of basic level 40 ground mounts for level 30's really. An undying aspect of rich MMO's has to be the timesink. Giving players that access to their rams, horses, kodos and raptors only a while after they leave their heavily defended racial zones (in terms of levelling areas) removes the sense of scale and wonder you only gain from spending 20 minutes running to Booty Bay (40 if you factor evading the gankers, fighting off some panthers and gorillas and then a corpse-run or two).\

That only applies to brand-spanking new characters who really do deserve to enjoy the scenery more while walking. Otherwise, I do support this, especially when you may jump on a new server and have to go lvl 1-80 to catch up with friends. Thats what its really about: blizz is just tring to condense the leveling time for the new expansion. Having a mount from 30-40 can be really helpful and does not take too much away, especially from those who have a travel form by that level.

I'm starting a horde on Burning Blade with some IRL friends. Just by past experience of PVP servers I have avoided stranglethorn altogether. Only hand-ins at booty bay.

On another note, My new lil orc is lvl 51 and he's having a darn good time. Trying a rogue for the first time in 3 years, and I'm enjoying sprinting away from lvl 70 pallies and stealthing. (why is it always pallies that are attacking me? Are they that bad at arenas and bored?)

Midnight

Postby Midnight » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:32 pm UTC

XP be damed, I made like 200g from the capitals and eastern kingdoms alone. still have outlands and the capital to do.

Anyone killed ahune yet? Heard the fight is like rag but with more adds. I wiped against him once, so far.
uhhhh fuck.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Just brought WoW for the first time, jumping on the bandwagon slightly late, any tips for just starting?
One day something wity and original will appear here

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 pm UTC

Just took down Ahune myself actually. I think we got him on our 4th attempt of the night, including a switchover of one member from her frost mage to her warlock, due to spell damage immunity and so on. Winning team consisting of myself on the elite (BM hunter), fury warrior on adds, warlock on adds and the elite, prot warrior for tanking and a holy pally on healing.
It is one heck of a hectic fight, but very rewarding when you win. Drops were the healing cloak, no crazy staff.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Ahune
http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=25740

2 phased fight that repeats.

Phase One
- Ahune has a 75% damage reduction frost shield, so generally advised to ignore him
- Continuous waves of non-elite Water and Air elementals (essentially the two what would make a blizzard) spawn. These have some magic school damage, swarm easily and die in about 1-2 hits (~1k health)
- At the same time a tankable 70 elite elemental (Earth/Ice variety, small scale Lokholar from AV turns up, with a nasty aura that does a stacking frost damage over time debuff on players within about 10-15yds
For phase 1, really ideal to have ranged DPS classes on the elite mob, while melee DPS or AoE classes handle the rest

After the elite is defeated and some further time on the elemental waves, a warning is broadcast mentioning Ahune is retreating.
Phase Two
At this point he goes into Frozen Core mode, and he is freely damageable without restrictions. Essentially go all out here, and no adds spawn. We finished him off on the third iteration. Rinse and repeat the above.

Throughout the fight, ice spikes will jut out from the ground, dealing about 1500 damage and flinging the player in the air. Can wipe the team if healer gets tossed away. Watch the ground for a swirling snow effect to know when it's coming.

Note from personal experience: Be prepared for internal lag. The fight is very graphically-demanding, as there is a lot of spell casting going on in this Earthen Ring Shaman/Druid war against The Frost Lord, and it can impact your streamlining of skill cycling, especially on Phase Two.

Definitely a fun fight, but not for the faint-hearted and not one I want as a permanent boss.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

Irrefutable wrote:Just brought WoW for the first time, jumping on the bandwagon slightly late, any tips for just starting?

Hey, welcome to the addiction!

Here are some awesome knowledge repositories:

Quest Walkthroughs/Item Searches/Skill Lists
http://thottbot.com/
http://www.wowhead.com/

General Game Information/Lore/How-To/etc
http://www.wowwiki.com/Portal:Main

You don't say if you are going horde or alliance, but Jame's horde leveling guide is awesome!
http://www.wow-pro.com/leveling_guides/ ... ling_guide

For the best info on how to spend your talent points, the official WoW class forums usually have guides aplenty and more information than you could ever want. ;)

Also, I don't know what Realm you're going to be on, but if you haven't picked one yet, I'd be glad to get you started on my server. I am Eridani or Auvry on the Horde side of the Runetotem server.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Im not too decided at the moment, infact i was hoping for some advice. I read a PC Gamer article a while back saying because there are about 1/3 the number of hoard as there are alliance so if you are alliance you have to wait 3 times as long for a PvP game. I have no idea what class to take up so any ideas on that front would be awsome. All of the classes sound fun but id be slightly disinclined to go for a Warrior because they sound abit too simple.

To be honest im open to ideas about almost everything, this is the first 'Conventional' MMO im ever going to have played, Runescape and EVE are the only ones ive ever played so there are probably basic mechanics im going to be ignorant of.

Can all classes solo to some degree or are there some i should avoid if i like a degree of soloability?

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Irrefutable wrote:Im not too decided at the moment, infact i was hoping for some advice. I read a PC Gamer article a while back saying because there are about 1/3 the number of hoard as there are alliance so if you are alliance you have to wait 3 times as long for a PvP game. I have no idea what class to take up so any ideas on that front would be awsome. All of the classes sound fun but id be slightly disinclined to go for a Warrior because they sound abit too simple.

To be honest im open to ideas about almost everything, this is the first 'Conventional' MMO im ever going to have played, Runescape and EVE are the only ones ive ever played so there are probably basic mechanics im going to be ignorant of.

Can all classes solo to some degree or are there some i should avoid if i like a degree of soloability?

Warriors are not simple at all, especially if you're tanking (and especially if you're in an incompetent PUG group). But in any case, tank-specced warriors are not the best soloers (warriors in general aren't that good), so I wouldn't recommend that route if you want to be an amazing soloer. Same goes for healing-specced healers (shadow priests can be amazing, though). DPS classes are generally very good soloers- hunters, rogues, and warlocks especially. Oh, and also druids.

Then again, if you're on a PvP server, you may want to look into getting a Pally. They are hands-down, one of the most annoying classes ever on a PvP server (fuck HoJ. seriously), right next to rogues.

The most fun classes, in my opinion, are warlock and druid. They just have the most options. Hunters, while arguably the best solo class in the game, can get really boring. And personally, I just don't like them. :P
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Masuri

Postby Masuri » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:27 am UTC

Every class can solo viably - even holy priests like me! It just depends on how efficiently you want to be able to do that.

Personally, I like recommending the mage class to people who say they want to solo effectively and don't want a simplistic experience. The mage gets a lot of heavy damage and great utility in both PvE and PvP. (Nothing is more freakin' annoying than charging in a battle ground and some filthy mage runs up and frost novas your entire group and you stand there with your feet encased in ice looking stupid for 30 seconds. Especially when it's a dirty gnome.)

Mages are fun to level, too. They do nice damage, have lots of 'get out of death free' abilities, and are great for group play. The polymorph spell allows you to turn one humanoid opponent into a sheep, which takes it out of combat. This crowd control ability is highly prized in 5-man, 10-man, and 25-man dungeons. You can also summon food (out of combat health regen) and water (out of combat mana regen), which helps you level more quickly and saves you the cash of having to buy it.

There are lots of different mage talent builds - talents let you twerk your character a bit. You can be an Arcane, Fire, or Frost mage, or any combination thereof, and there is a ton of what they call 'theorycrafting' about which is best and why (and where and when and... on and on).

So, that's my recommendation. There's tons of information about the classes on wowwiki.com if you want more general info on any of them.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:44 am UTC

Also does race provide any restrictions apart from limiting class choice.

For example will a Dark Elf Rogue have any advantages over an Undead Rogue and visa versa?

Micron

Postby Micron » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Each race gets a few minor unique benefits each of which are useful in different situations. However these slight advantages are fairly well balanced and I'll argue that none of them can be said to make one race strictly better than another in every situation. To use your example a Night Elf would have a slightly better chance to dodge physical attacks and be slightly harder to spot when using stealth. A Forsaken can avoid fear effects and regenerate health faster after making a kill. Which one of these is "better" really depends on what the rogue is attempting to do; dodge chance doesn't help against casters, stealth doesn't help you once you're fighting toe to toe with an opponent, fear resistance only matters if your opponent can fear you, and regeneration only helps if you recover if you need it and survive the fight in the first place. Pick whichever one appeals to you.

As for classes I find that the classes focused on dealing damage are generally easier to play solo than a class focused on tanking or healing. On the other hand tanks and healers are therefore somewhat harder to find and in more demand and all classes really can play solo just fine. The best way for you to figure out what you want to do is to just dive in and start playing one of them. Play around for an hour or so (or for a better measure past level 10 at least) and then consider switching to a second character. You really won't have seen everything about your class at all at that point but it will give you some idea how they work and if the style works for you. At the very least try a melee class and a ranged class to see if you find close combat or ranged attacks easier to manage. Just don't assume that you need to stick with one character if you don't have any perspective on what it is like to play the others.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:55 am UTC

Random note:
After nearly a year of playing, I finally got my first level 55. Now I'll be able to plug in a death knight when it comes out.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Masuri wrote:
Irrefutable wrote:Just brought WoW for the first time, jumping on the bandwagon slightly late, any tips for just starting?

Lovely links

Thanks alot, just saw all o the links. All abit archaic to me atm but i think i understand slightly better what manner of soul destroying entity i might be facing when i start my subscribtion. Im in the midst of some monstrously large update however, 4 hours and counting and im slowly going comatose so its probably time to call it a night..

Tomorow im off to see Radiohead of all things so i guess Wednesday is going to be the day i say goodbye to my social life.
Also if you dont mind me pestering you for advice ill come join the Hoarde :)

And to une see, how fleshed out is the PvP in WoW. Ive heard some very mixed things about it?

FoS

Postby FoS » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am UTC

This festival has been a load of fun so far and it's helped me realise I need to get more gear on my Shadow Priest.

I've been taking my Warrior (who is my Raiding main) to desecrate every single Alliance fire I can and between my Priest, Rogue and Warrior I've been sitting in groups chain summoning Ahune to try get the Enchant for my Rogue and the Staff for my Priest.

My Priest has a S1 Spellblade and Orb of the Souleater so the Staff isn't an upgrade but on a Shadow Priest with T5/S2 shoulders it looks hawt.

Speaking of Hawt that Deathfrost Enchant is absolutely insane.
If you're in a serious raiding guild or even looking to do some hectic PvP it's well worth trying to get for a number of reasons.
The mats are very very cheap (1 Primal Shadow 1 Primal Water) and the debuff is excellent.
15% reduced Attack and Casting Speed on your target and the Proc Rate is very high.
It doesn't stack with Thunderclap (else it would be totally broken) but Thunderclap doesn't effect casting speed so if you can get someone in the Raid to keep it applied to bosses it's some very nice Mitigation.
On a fight like Aran (I kno he's eezimode and all but he's a good example) 15% reduced casting speed would be incredible.
Pretty much any fight where interrupts are crucial it's nice.
"...working as intended"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:11 pm UTC

Irrefutable wrote:I guess Wednesday is going to be the day I say goodbye to my social life.
Also if you don't mind me pestering you for advice ill come join the Horde :)

Join EU-Bronzebeard, unfortunately I'm Alliance, (Felstaff). Alliance has a greater presence, and stronger guilds, but the Horde have more social, tight-knit groups. I think the latter is more fun if you're quite sociable in-game. The Alliance is easier to get help with quests from passers by, solely because there's a lot more of them. WoW now has more than its fair share of immature kids, goldfarmers, and general arsebuggery, but if you can avoid/ignore that, then it should be a lorra lorra laughs.

My favourite guild ever was 'The Pie Club'. There's something inherently and intrinsically genius about that name. I joined it on the basis of its name, but it disbanded some two years ago now, and the world (of Warcraft) went into mourning.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:50 pm UTC

Can you set up multiple characters on multiple servers when you subscribe?

If so im very tempted to just try both :)

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

Yes, you can create loads of characters on every server in your part of the world (Initially it was 7 per server, but I think that's increased to 1 squillion).

However, people in the US can't use European servers, and vice versa (well, you can, but it's rare and pointless due to the time differences--and you'd need a US/EU specific copy to do that). Europe has the same names as US servers (generally) so all EU server names are prefixed with EU-.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

FoS wrote:On a fight like Aran (I kno he's eezimode and all but he's a good example) 15% reduced casting speed would be incredible.

I'm pretty sure he'd be immune to the spell-slowing component of the debuff. Perhaps not the debuff itself (ie. it still will show the icon on his debuff list) however since tongues and that don't work on him I doubt this type of spell slowing would. In any case the PPM seems decently high, it would be cool for Retadins who use spells AND melee and can get the proc off both, but I don't see it being -too- useful.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

aaron

Postby aaron » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Oh goodness, I spent approx 6 hours yesterday and about 800g farming and putting together these bad boys which replaced this old piece of junk. Got my 4agi/6stam gem in there, and I'm currently looking for a jewelcrafter to make my 12agi/3% crit damage meta. Pretty stoked, such a huge upgrade. And my character looks completely bad-ass in it.

I also got the Magister's Terrace mount! (http://thottbot.com/i35513)

Even though I'm a blood elf it's kind of redundant, but I made a macro that switches between my wolf and my new white chicken. It's fun to ride around and show off on. : P

(My druid friend: How is it that the only blood elf in the group gets the mount? Fuuuck.)

What does all of your uis look like? I redid mine since I got a new computer, and I really like it. I'll post it when the realms come back online. :/

Season 4! Woo!

Dobblesworth

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Here's a screenshot of my current UI: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v174/ ... 134803.jpg

Taken on my sexy dwarf hunter's recent raid of Molten Core at the weekend.
- Mostly the core Blizzard UI for the main action bars
- X-Perl unit frames replacement, animated avatars and health bars
- Scrolling Combat Text, with SCTDamage integrated. My set-up for it has damage on me flinging in a sprinkler above the screen-centre, with damage by me and my pet(s) going below. Buffs fade off on the right side.
The instant shown was one of the Core Hound Packs of Molten Core, so I had the Volley AoE and Snake Trap up, hence all the colour text below.
- CTRaidAssist panels on the bottom-right. This is the raid add-on I used back in the start of things at level 60, so I've generally stuck with it.
- CTBuffMod above (quite a few of the other CT stuff I have running as well)
- Two semi-circles around my character is the MetaHUD add-on, showing health and mana/rage/energy bars of myself, pet and opponent at a glance at the centre.
- Top right corner has a personal damage recorder add-on, KTM (K Threat Meter, I don't like Omen if you're wondering), and a cash display bar
- Atlas for the instance maps
- 2 Anti-Spam / Spam-Sentry blocking add-ons (docked at mini-map). I use two for maximal peace of mind, as well as some general reporting features one has and the other doesn't.
- Two hunter-specific add-ons: Venantes and ZHunter. Venantes provides that sphere in the upper-right centre of the screen, with various hunter ability branches, spare space for trinket/ability binding and other functionality. ZHunter has the movable bars shown above my action-bars for traps, aspects and pet abilities. Saves quite a lot of space on my bars, and I recently redid it to allow my Ranged abilities to move over and generally have a more fluid arrangement.
- Not shown is the bar you can cycle between on the very bottom bar (with my basic skills for melee combat, mounting and where I bind quest items), which stacks any nice spamming macros, such as one which spells "YOU LOSE!" in Orcish when translated from Common.

That just about sums up how demanding my WoW screen is on my processor and graphics card.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:29 am UTC

Holy shit, I prefer a minimalist setup. I want to be able to see as much of everything as I can. So I have my screen zoomed right out all the time etc.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:58 am UTC

And to une see, how fleshed out is the PvP in WoW. Ive heard some very mixed things about it?

You hear mixed things because people look at it from different perspectives.

If you want to excel, especially in the arenas, then skill, planning and coordination are just as important, and sometimes more so, than gear. As an example, my druid (healing specced) has just found a very good warrior partner for 2v2 arena. Druid/Warrior is considered to be a very powerful combo for that bracket, yet I did not think that we were overpowered. Our wins were a result of coordination, and our losses were either screw-ups on our part, or meeting 'counter' combos. (I hate rogue/rogue with a passion). I've grouped with not so competent warriors in similar gear, and the difference is very noticable.

If you just want to use the pvp system to get better gear (Purple, shiny!) however, like many do, then it's pretty much a mindless grind in the bg's, with lots of idiots, morons, short bus refugees and the occasional competent player all thrown together.

I've been playing since pretty much day one, and I don't think I'll be burnt out for a long time to come. The secrets to having fun for a long time are to find a good family and/or grownup guild (18+ usually, better 21+), set modest goals that won't burn you out in the obtaining, and when all else fails, make alts.... as a side bonus, playing alts can help your 'main' improve in it's job too, by better understanding the mechanics of other classes, the synergies and weaknesses.

aaron

Postby aaron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Holy shit, I prefer a minimalist setup. I want to be able to see as much of everything as I can. So I have my screen zoomed right out all the time etc.

Speaking the truth right here. I'm trying to figure out a way of getting the clutter on the side more organized, but here's my UI.

Spoiler:

1900x1220 resolution, maxed graphics.

:D

edit - To those wondering, everything is keybound and the only reason I have those skills down there is to watch their cooldowns. haha. That's why things such as sinister strike, eviscerate, slice and dice, etc aren't on the bars.

Return to “Gaming”