Best (multi-player) games of all time

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

The Mad Scientist

Best (multi-player) games of all time

Postby The Mad Scientist » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

ITT we list what we consider to be the best multi-player games of all time, and give our reasons. You can list video games, board games, card games, table-top RPGs, even things like hide-and-seek. But be sure to state why you think that your games are the best ever and be willing to defend your position. This isn't a thread for isolated lists, this is a thread for arguing the merits of various games. Please don't flame individual posters, but it's totally fair to say, "No, that game is not high quality, and here's why."

Anyway, here are my top 5:

5. Super Mario Kart

The main appeal of this game when it first came out for the SNES was that you got to watch heroes from various video games race go-carts in a whimsical fantasy land, but its staying power is based on its deeper gameplay. The funhouse physics implemented by the physics engine strikes an odd and delightful balance between realism and cartoonish surrealism; and the addition of various weapons and booby traps added luck and strategy to a game otherwise based on hand-eye coordination.

4. Bughouse

Bughouse is a variant of chess in which two teams of two players face off on two boards. Whenever one player captures an enemy piece, that piece is transferred to his partner. His partner may, on any given turn, choose--instead of moving a piece--to drop one of these so captured pieces on an empty square. The game is usually played at "blitz" time controls, with each player having three, five, or perhaps fifteen minutes on his or her clock. When it's a player's move, his or her clock is running; when it's the opponent's move, their clock is running. Bughouse is an extremely lively game that rewards aggression, tactical vision, and creativity. Unlike classical chess, the permutations are far too many for a computer to dominate. Played live, especially with the boards separated, the game can degenerate into a hilarious soup of piece-throwing, trash-talking, and sick drop-mates (a drop-mate is when someone drops a piece on an empty square, delivering checkmate). 100% fun.

3. Magic: The Gathering

This is a beautiful, well-designed game. It's so compelling that it might even top chess but for the fact that it lacks some elegance, and so many non-viable cards are produced for no other reason than to make money.

2. Chess

Nothing needs to be said about this game. It is a sea from which a gnat may drink and in which an elephant may bathe.

1. Texas Hold Em

The Cadillac of Poker.

Tomo

Re: Best (multi-player) games of all time

Postby Tomo » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:18 am UTC

Oh wow, this is a brilliant thread, because it has >9000 nostalgia filled moments flashing through my head and I'm finding it impossible to decide.

I'll think about it and probably post a list when I'm in work tomorrow :p
"Pick a number between 1 and 10."
"0.9999...?"

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:50 am UTC

As nostalgia-tastic as Super Mario Kart is, it's actually not the best in the series. The real debate is between Double Dash, 64 and DS, with Wii hot on their tails (assuming you agree not to use items; It's not a huge problem in most of them but in Wii it is).

This is, of course, my opinion, but arguing about opinions as if they were fact is sort of my thing concidering I'm a video gamer on the internet.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:54 am UTC

Always did like Crash Team Racing better than Mario Kart...never have been a Mario guy...

I find Lobster Planet to have the most awesome multiplayer in any shooter game, just because it's like they figured out a way to combine the "excessive realism" (Being shot actually poses a threat to you since you can't attack, explosions causing you to go flailing through the air) thing with the "excessive action" (Mechs, bigger mechs, giant insects, bigger giant insects, explosions, bigger explosions, big guns, bigger guns, bigger phallic guns) thing. Though I will admit that if the mech combat were altered to be more like Zone of the Enders, it would be the greatest game ever.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:03 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Lobster Planet
...Lost Planet? Or is there a wonderful Nephropidae Crustacean-based game of which Google is unaware?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:05 am UTC

Yes, Lost Planet. My friend just likes calling it Lobster Planet, so I've taken to calling it that as well...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 am UTC

My dreams are crushed. Thanks.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

RazzleDazzle

Postby RazzleDazzle » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:38 am UTC

What about classic Counter-Strike? That game has been around for almost a decade now and it still has many players and strong communities.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

Just look at my sig.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

adunebutt

Postby adunebutt » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:28 pm UTC

Mine would be Diablo 2. That was my first introduction into online gaming and I played the shit out of it.

psyck0

Postby psyck0 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

Double Dash wins the MK competition for multiplayer by default, because it includes the all-important CO-OP for bad players. Next is Wii, for allowing up to 12 players online.

The Mad Scientist

Postby The Mad Scientist » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

Oh, I've never played Mario Kart Wii or Double Dash or whatever. I just listed Super Mario Kart and I really meant the whole series, since they're all just variations on the same basic game with increasingly better graphics.

I'm surprised that I'm the only one who plays (or considers great, I guess) non-video games. Since you guys are into video games, here are a few more great multiplayer video games:

Goldeneye
Mario Party (don't stone me)
Starcraft 64

Goldeney and Starcraft 64 both have very engaging multi-player modes, in my opinion. Mario Party is a bit of a novelty, of course, but it's a great game in the same sense that Go Fish is a great game. :D

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 pm UTC

That one gamecube bond game, 3 humans one bot.
Bot is set to highest level, gravity is weakest, super speed and golden gun, along with all gadgets.

I think we played for 6 hours, killed the bot around 30 times and we died at least 2000 times. Most fun ever.

Toribash is hella fun hotseat style.

Worms 2

Warcraft III

Homeworld

Windom:Bootfighter

Gunz and that other game in the LAN thread that is like Gunz.

Give me a while and I'll think of more.

Oh yeah, Strip Mario Kart.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

GoldenEye/Perfect Dark. No doubt here.

The golden years (no pun intended) of Rare on the 64 were pure, unadulterated bliss.

The Nintendo 64 in general had an endless supply of the best multiplayer games I've played. Also the only console with classic formula console FPS multiplayer games that I sincerely love.

The Mad Scientist wrote:I'm surprised that I'm the only one who plays (or considers great, I guess) non-video games. Since you guys are into video games, here are a few more great multiplayer video games:

Mario Party (don't stone me)

Mario Party is a bit of a novelty, of course, but it's a great game in the same sense that Go Fish is a great game. :D

Nothing wrong with loving Mario Party (aside from getting a hole drilled in your hand from the analogue stick rotation on the rafting); it only suffers by guilt of association to all the horrible sequels.

The Mad Scientist

Postby The Mad Scientist » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:13 pm UTC

Ditto on the N64. I recall several sleep-overs when I was in the 4th grade (for non-US people, I was 8 and my friends were 9) spent playing Goldeneye and the Donkey Kong go-cart game (whatever it was called). In fact, on the night Princess Di died my mom called us to let us know and we all basically shrugged and went back to playing Goldeneye. (I don't think any of us knew who she was.)

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:35 pm UTC

This game hasn't been mentioned?

Allegiance, an old game that Microsoft renownced claim on. Now it's freeware.

http://www.freeallegiance.org

Awesome game, it has:
-actual players as the supreme commander
-a tech tree
-completely online play
-about 10 different factions, 2 of which are nerfed (Tech and Phoenix)
-Usually 50 people on at one time, 200 on tournament days (usually one every other week)
-Capships which are cheese, they don't break the game
-an economy
-the abillity to interfere with the enemy's economy
-ninja stealth fighters
-ninja stealth bombers
-completeley 3d
-space-based
-actual skill needed to dock with a station
-camping
-anti-camping
-nans (repair-scouts which repair other craft)
-nan runs
-the phrase STFN! (Shoot The Fucking Nans!), coined because people shoot bombers, rather than nans
-turrets controlled by players
-no sucky-ai because there is none, except for miners
-turrets and minefields
-the requirment to defend stations to keep their tech
-int-whoring, killing many ships with an interceptor
-a huge forum
-many mods
-a lot of balance, some factions have no missles but more powerful guns or better hulls

I would recommend it, definetally
It can even run on a slow internet connection! Remember, it was made during the age of dialup, the late 1990's/early 2000's.

I love that game. Yes, it runs on vista.

Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory runs a close second
Starsiege:Tribes runs a close third
Spoiler:

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:00 am UTC

Internetmeme is correct on all counts.
<Cheese> I love you

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:10 am UTC

I have very vague memories of playing Super Mario Kart and while I remember the game being really good, I don't know how on Earth I'd play a racing game with that D-pad. It's not for nothing that the game is praised so much, but I just can't see the D-pad doing the job. That said, it's been more than a decade since I've played it. Double Dash, eh, I have that game and frankly I probably should have rented it first. I haven't played with other people, don't even know if it has mini-games like the N64 version had, but there's just something lacking in the game. It doesn't have that magic the previous version had. I just keep it to entertain my cousins when they come. Only played the Wii version once but it was amazing. Can't wait to play it again.

Like many have said, the N64 was great for multiplayer. I have very fond memories of me and my friends playing that balloon minigame in Mario Kart 64 (and they always targeted me first. Assholes). That and Smash Bros, Goldeneye and who knows what else I'm forgetting. I'm such a moron, shouldn't have sold that console.

Zuffox

Postby Zuffox » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

Aside from the Rare games (GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Diddy Kong Racing, Killer Instinct, Killer Instinct Gold), Turok: Rage Wars (yay, achievements), International Track and Field, Mario Party, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart 64, Mario Tennis, Bomberman 64, WWF No Mercy all involved my friends and I screaming and shouting - and pissing off my mom, to boot - when we were playing as enthusiastically as we were.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

Don't forget Battle Tanx. That game was so over the top it made my N64 drop to 0.5 fps at times. The best thing to do was type in the frogs cheat, and after about 5 minutes the whole map is covered in super-fast frogs, making it impossible to play.
<Cheese> I love you

Cathode Ray Sunshine

Postby Cathode Ray Sunshine » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:46 pm UTC

How could I forget the N64's wrestling games?! I know there were two of them we played to death. One of them was WCW NWO revenge. Man, awesome times.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:14 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Internetmeme is correct on all counts.

:P
Spoiler:

Bryce747

Postby Bryce747 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

1. Starcraft
Anyone who's an RTS fan knows why this would be my first pick. Simply put, it's the most engaging, well balanced and all-round fun strategy game there is.

2. Goldeneye
Even years later, I pull this game out whenever I can. It might not have vehicles or online play, but this game still beats Halo. Fast paced FPS gameplay, that is second only to possibly Perfect Dark. I chose Goldeneye because PD tended to lag which could bog down the gameplay and ruin the experience.

3. Team Fortress (Classic and 2)
Back when Half-Life mods were free, this was one of the best. Counter-Strike's a definite contender with Team Fortress, but I think the classes really made this game great for multiplayer.

4. Worms (The Series)
Simple to play, yet there is skill involved. The sometimes random gameplay makes for good multiplayer. Also, it's playable on a single computer, which is why I would put it near the top of a multiplayer list.

5. Armor Ambush
If you've never played an Atari, you won't recognize this title. There are undoubtedly better games to play now, around 20 years after Armor Ambush was created, but this game offered head-to-head multiplayer fun while flops like the E.T. game were being released.

xkcijik

Postby xkcijik » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:19 am UTC

Bryce747 wrote:1. Starcraft
Anyone who's an RTS fan knows why this would be my first pick. Simply put, it's the most engaging, well balanced and all-round fun strategy game there is.

2. Goldeneye
Even years later, I pull this game out whenever I can. It might not have vehicles or online play, but this game still beats Halo. Fast paced FPS gameplay, that is second only to possibly Perfect Dark. I chose Goldeneye because PD tended to lag which could bog down the gameplay and ruin the experience.

3. Team Fortress (Classic and 2)
Back when Half-Life mods were free, this was one of the best. Counter-Strike's a definite contender with Team Fortress, but I think the classes really made this game great for multiplayer.

4. Worms (The Series)
Simple to play, yet there is skill involved. The sometimes random gameplay makes for good multiplayer. Also, it's playable on a single computer, which is why I would put it near the top of a multiplayer list.

5. Armor Ambush
If you've never played an Atari, you won't recognize this title. There are undoubtedly better games to play now, around 20 years after Armor Ambush was created, but this game offered head-to-head multiplayer fun while flops like the E.T. game were being released.

Oh me yarm...Guess what ! we have something in common :D
My Recent Blogs :D

My Games List

My Game Blog Welcome to comment your opinions :)

My Twitter http://twitter.com/leagendry

diamonds

Postby diamonds » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

MarioKart. Nothing beats MarioKart as a multiplayer videogame. Nothing. Smash Bros comes close though.

Capture the flag, if you can organize it well. This might tie in with a game I personally like, http://bzflag.org/ .

Tabletop RPGs, anything will work, but I play Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 here. Designing your own world and playing through it with friends is an experience that is unmatched.
##politico, the troll-free politics channel on Freenode (channel link)

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm UTC

Disclaimer: This list is entirely subjective and based only on my personal multiplayer experiences with these games.

1. Worms.
Easy to handicap a good player, fun to watch, explosions, humour.

2. Rome: Total War
Tactics required, micromanagement not, battles of ~20000 soldiers vs 300 spartans available (the spartans usually win, the CPUs lose)

3. Team Fortress 2.
Doesn't get boring fast with 9 classes to play, well defined art style and plenty of good maps.

4. Guitar hero/rock band
Easy party game to get people to play together, provides music. If only they put more good music on...

5. Eve online
About as close to a balanced and fair simulated world that you'll get while allowing players to have significantly differing abilities.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Return to “Gaming”