Doom remake: a quick peice of market research.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Would you download it?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 51

Awia

Doom remake: a quick peice of market research.

Postby Awia » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:56 pm UTC

If there was to be a remake of the original Doom, would anybody download it?

I'm asking before embarking on a rather time consuming project, to see if any effort would go to waste.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Gellert1984

Re: Doom remake: a quick peice of market research.

Postby Gellert1984 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

A tentative yes, depending on whether you wanted me to pay and whether its any good. If you knock out something with the unreal III engine then yeah, I'd probably be interested, with less of the gothic horror the last doom had and more of the shooty shooty demons go boom 'I thought imps were little red guys with pitchforks' humour would also be appreciated.
The only time I question the right to Free Speech is when I watch Fox News, probably due to the fact that I don't think they really believe in it. -Elisa Scaldaferri

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:38 pm UTC

Yes, I would download/buy it. So long as you remember not to make mousey move the character, It will be better than the Steam version.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

I was never a huge fan of Doom. I probably wouldn't. But don't let that discourage you. If I had loved Doom, I'd probably have said yes.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 pm UTC

Umm, Im just gonna go ahead and draw an arrow to my name =======>
It would be just hypocritical of me not to get it, if it was made.
Quite simply, I believe DOOM to be one of the best games ever made, partly for historical value, mostly for DEMO_KILLING_SHOTGUN_TOTING_CHAINSAW FUN!
And so on.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:20 pm UTC

Conditional yes if you were to:
- Upgrade the music (think like Capcom with Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix)
- Improve the graphics (obvious--say, are there any engines you could use based on vectors?)
- Improve the controls (including non-automatic vertical aiming, and jumping--the latter would force a slight redesign of some levels)
- Add in bonus features (extra levels, additional weapons, e.g.)

Add in the Doom II levels and you got gold there. Oh, and don't neglect the background graphics; to me, the background textures were by far the dullest thing about the game. I can get more specific on graphics upgrades if you'd like. KF
~Kizyr

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:33 am UTC

Isn't Doom 3 pretty much a remake of the original Doom?

Onomi

Postby Onomi » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:46 am UTC

Awia wrote:If there was to be a remake of the original Doom, would anybody download it?

I wouldn't download your copy of the original game but I'd be interested in your version of it I think. Are you thinking of doing something identical to the original or your own version of it?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:59 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Isn't Doom 3 pretty much a remake of the original Doom?

Reimagining would be alittle more accurate. Though I would say that is a subclass of remake.

Notch

Postby Notch » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:Isn't Doom 3 pretty much a remake of the original Doom?

No, not even close. The storyline is different, the pacing is (totally) different, and it was crap.
The original doom was a masterpiece for its time. It got pretty much everything right for what it was attempting to do.
Doom 3 was just a pathetic horror shooter, and the only thing nice for its time about it was the real time lighting. Everything else was just filler or ripped straight out of other games.
.. but the lighting effects were seriously amazing. =)

I'd definitely download a remake of doom 1/doom 2. I'd be very picky about what I think about it, but I'd try it for sure.

[edit:]
I just realized "for what it was attempting to do" sounds a lot like weasel words. I personally think it's one of the best games ever, period, but I added that to avoid lengthy arguments over it. =)

cerbie

Postby cerbie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:12 am UTC

FYI, if you can get copies of Doom, Doom II, and/or Heretic, there are free engines to play them. Also Quake, but I found the hassle of getting the Quakes (Quake, Quakeworld, GLQuake) to work worth it, due to lighting bugginess in the Free updated engines I could get working (like Tenebrae).

And...no, not interested. Doom was awesome. Doom II was awesome. Quake can still kick my ass. Quake II was the best FFADM game ever (esp. w/ Lithium!).
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Vertana

Postby Vertana » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:34 pm UTC

I would definitely download it, as long as you made sure it was cross platform and attempted to stay close to the original (although I would understand things like updating graphics, sounds, non automatic vertical aiming). I do, however, disagree with the jumping. In most games it works. It's even expected, but if you could jump it just wouldn't be DOOM. If you do push ahead with this good on you and I hope you do!

rrwoods

Postby rrwoods » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:23 pm UTC

Voted no, but I'm looking more for a "80% no" option.

There are, as stated, plenty of free engines to play the original levels with. JDoomis my favorite of those for a better overall gaming experience (which seems to be what you're going for). It's fully three-dimensional, with look up/down (without Y-shearing), 3D models, and really neat lighting effects (I once built a multiplayer map where all the light was provided by objects; completely unplayable in the original game but cool as hell in JDoom) as well as a bunch of other stuff I'm probably not remembering.

On the level side of things -- yeah, the levels aren't free, but there is a project running to create "freeware versions" of the levels (and textures, and sprites) called FreeDoom.

Running JDoom with FreeDoom (though the sprites would go unused if you're using the models package) essentially gets you a "Doom remake" for free. If you can beat JDoom, go for it.
31/M/taken/US
age/gender/interest/country

Belial wrote:The sex card is tournament legal. And I am tapping it for, like, six mana.

Ran4

Postby Ran4 » Tue May 05, 2009 1:00 pm UTC

If it's "just" a remake, in the style of new graphics and music, then _no_!

But if you add something completely new, I'm for it!

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Thu May 07, 2009 9:34 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Yes, I would download/buy it. So long as you remember not to make mousey move the character, It will be better than the Steam version.
Real Doomers use keyboard only. SHAME ON YOU!

OOPS: Oh, nearly forgot to add my bit about the poll. I'd download/possibly buy it, aye. If it played similarly enough to the original doom - most enemies have non-instant projectiles, so that you can put shittons of them in a huge arena and have firefights... that's one of the things that makes me keep going back to Doom, is the variety that's possible in the fighting arenas and styles and everything.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 pm UTC

Clumpy wrote:Isn't Doom 3 pretty much a pathetic attempt to make a copy of System Shock?

There, much better.

But yes. It would be great to grab a remake of Doom, so long as it holds true to the nature of the original and its epic tale of one berserker-packin' man-and-a-half against the legions of hell.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu May 07, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:one berserker-packin' McCain-and-a-half against the legions of hell.

Fixed that for you.

(And this for good measure)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri May 08, 2009 6:37 am UTC

rrwoods wrote:There are, as stated, plenty of free engines to play the original levels with. JDoomis my favorite of those for a better overall gaming experience (which seems to be what you're going for). It's fully three-dimensional, with look up/down (without Y-shearing), 3D models, and really neat lighting effects (I once built a multiplayer map where all the light was provided by objects; completely unplayable in the original game but cool as hell in JDoom) as well as a bunch of other stuff I'm probably not remembering.

On the level side of things -- yeah, the levels aren't free, but there is a project running to create "freeware versions" of the levels (and textures, and sprites) called FreeDoom.

Running JDoom with FreeDoom (though the sprites would go unused if you're using the models package) essentially gets you a "Doom remake" for free.
I second this. There are a bazillion and one things that have already been done with the original Doom, and I am far from convinced that any new project could offer something substantially different from what is already available.

Return to “Gaming”