Plants Vs. Zombies

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: Plants Vs. Zombies

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Well, finished most of the achievements now; my record on Endless Survival is a mere 24. What exactly is the best way to raise massive amounts of money for all that tree food? (I assume the tree will say something about Mustache Mode eventually.)

And did any of you manage to do the 15 rounds in Vasebreaker Endless? Surviving much beyond Round 10, when two Gigantaurs start appearing, just seems to require too much luck.

So as to contribute something useful, here's a nice interview with George Fan:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/02/makin ... s-zombies/

Hix

Postby Hix » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:39 pm UTC

Making Money: Use lots of Marigolds on the mini-game "The Last Stand". The cheapest defense you can put up will involve 2 Gloom-shrooms protected by 2 garlic on the 2nd row. Same thing on the 5th row. Place Magnet-shrooms to deal with the armored zombies, and pumpkins where necessary to prevent pole-vaulters from doing too much damage. The rest of your sun can be spent on Marigolds. But save a little bit of sun in case you need to replace some of the garlic or pumpkins early on.

Vasebreaker Endless: My method is usually to break a lot of vases on the right side early. For the first 8-12 or so vase breaks, I only set down plants if it is an efficient kill such as using a potato mine versus a buckethead, or a backwards repeater versus 2 regular zombies (check for jack-in-the-box before planting the repeater, though). Assuming you can keep your cool and not panic, having extra zombie information before committing on plant locations is very helpful. Unless things are getting a little hairy, wait to break the green vases until you have a bit of zombie info.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:44 pm UTC

I usually like to use the tall walls wherever possible because the pole vaulters just go smack into them. You can even put a pumpkin around them for extra toughness.

I've found out why I can't run PvZ on my computer. Turns out there's a problem with the drivers for my sound card. Which sucks because my sound card is really good and I don't want to replace it.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:20 am UTC

Hix wrote:Making Money: Use lots of Marigolds on the mini-game "The Last Stand". The cheapest defense you can put up will involve 2 Gloom-shrooms protected by 2 garlic on the 2nd row. Same thing on the 5th row. Place Magnet-shrooms to deal with the armored zombies, and pumpkins where necessary to prevent pole-vaulters from doing too much damage. The rest of your sun can be spent on Marigolds. But save a little bit of sun in case you need to replace some of the garlic or pumpkins early on.
This is so effective it seems quite pointless to bother doing anything else. :/ Did you come up with this yourself? There was a pic in the PC Gamer article along those lines too. (Protip: Quit to the main menu after you set up the lawn for the first time, and on subsequent plays, as long as you don't quit early, you'll never have to bother with setup again.)

The only other strategy I can think of would be to camp out on the level where the Yeti Zombie appears, since it drops so many diamonds when it dies. (I did see the Yeti Zombie on The Last Stand once, for some reason.)

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:53 am UTC

Zen gardens create ridiculous amounts of money. Just window the game, give the snail chocolate, and go for a wikiwalk/watch TV/go for a real walk/eat dinner/etc.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

Really? Blarg, I didn't think it worked that way. (It never even occurred to me to press Alt-Enter and window the game.)

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 am UTC

Chocolate eventually gives out, (10 minutes? 30? can't recall) but yeah. Easiest way to make money, or at least, least-effort.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Zarj

Postby Zarj » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:45 am UTC

Love this game. It's ridiculously easy, yet extremely fun...
Also thought I should mention the records for Survival Endless in this thread are quite funny. I've seen strategy guides online where people made it to 900+ flags (no idea how, I've tried the same strategies and only made it to 42).

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

Finally got this for 360. Have played the shit out of it. Pop Cap definitely managed to
Spoiler:
grow some life in this dead genre.

Jupiter

Postby Jupiter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

It's a great game :) Finished it, and couldn't stop playing it until i finished it, eheh
Great game Popcap !!

minkis

Postby minkis » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

This game kept me and my buddies sane in Afghanistan... Played through multiple times, explored all the different ways to defend with Last Stand, play as a Michael Jackson zombie...

Oh, and people under-estimate the usefulness of garlic. It's cheap, and more effective than a Tallnut (for most zombies).

LaserGuy

Postby LaserGuy » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Well, finished most of the achievements now; my record on Endless Survival is a mere 24. What exactly is the best way to raise massive amounts of money for all that tree food? (I assume the tree will say something about Mustache Mode eventually.)

And did any of you manage to do the 15 rounds in Vasebreaker Endless? Surviving much beyond Round 10, when two Gigantaurs start appearing, just seems to require too much luck.

So as to contribute something useful, here's a nice interview with George Fan:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/02/makin ... s-zombies/

I know this is a bit of a necropost, but the best way to gain money is doing survival endless. By the time you get above 30 flags, you can easily make >5k per flag. On my best run, ~130 flags or so, I wracked up enough to push my tree up to about 300 feet.

I think I made it to 22 or so in vasebreaker endless, but at that point you have 3 gargauntuars per round, and sooner or later you're going to get caught without enough squashes or a spare cherry bomb. Best thing to do is work from left to right. Save your green pots and cherry bombs for emergencies. Try to avoid planting until there's actually a zombie that needs to be killed. 2 squashes can kill a gargantaur, or 1 squash + a couple damage plants and a bit of distance.

Return to “Gaming”