Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:I'm OK with switching, if Talon and the rest of the community agrees.
When it was the popular one, how many people were usually on? What was the max?
Maybe we should all get together and stress-test psion's server?
There were three on psion's last night, and I didn't notice any lag (I just popped on for a couple minutes while the ST server recovered its equilibrium), but one of the other players did complain of lag shortly after I got on.

I can go either way, but have a marginal preference for the status quo. This is assuming that we're playing vanilla minecraft on hard mode.
Spoiler:
I could compromise to normal mode, but I can't cope with modifications like 'keep your items upon death'. ...any step away from vanilla no longer feels legit. (Except settime, which is just a valid way of shortcutting the "everyone carry a bed everywhere so we can set a global bedtime" thing...though I can't resist abusing it to kill rain. ^_^) IMHO, the XKCD forum community now has one server that is gentle and was reset for 1.8 and might be reset again now that the precedent has been set (that'd be Psion's), we have one server that has a rich geographical, social, and archaeological history and that has an unforgiving vanilla environment (That'd be ST), and we have one server that is modded and weird and interesting (but with regular resets) (and figuring out how to get on is, IMHO, part of the test.)

I love everything that the ST server is. I like seeing what present and past xkcd forumites do when given a sandbox, and I like seeing how the world has grown and will grow. If ST suddenly underwent an unfortunate spiritual revelation and became a Luddite Amish Shaker Nun and moved to Tibet (you'd be surprised how strong the LASN community is there!), I would do whatever I could to ensure that the server survived in its current form, even though server maintenance and operation is not at all one of my current skill sets.

With affection and regard for all, my use of the word "marginal" above may have been exaggerated for tact.
Power Overwhelming. Radio Free Zerg. Modify the Phase Variance. IDKFA. UUDDLRLRBASS. LAPOSTAL. Justin Bailey. Help Me. Xyzzy.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

I tried hard not to get attached to psion's server, in case of a future wipe, but... it turned out better than I thought it would.

Any visitors there, my... building(s) and westbound from spawn. Actually, if you just wander around and keep your render to far, I'm atop the closest hill. I hope nobody minds me being there, it was a bit more... dominating than I thought it would be.

The no-item-loss-on-death thing is useful in some ways, annoying in others. Overall it's basically like playing creative mode. I have mixed feelings on it, though I guess without it, I'd be going around to collect iron a lot more (and also be more careful about getting lost/dying).

Also, since when have trees been given branches? I noticed that some of my saplings grew to huge trees, like twice that of normal trees.

What time are people usually on psion's server? To be honest, I prefer to play on SMP just so I can chat and rant and experience being with others. Being alone gets so melancholic.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

Um... am I the only one for whom Talon's server hasn't worked since Monday?

Just... checking.

Edit: Seems (reasonably) isolated, PM'd Talon.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

I found an entire forest of trees missing their middle block. Darn endermen.

SirBryghtside wrote:Um... am I the only one for whom Talon's server hasn't worked since Monday?

Just... checking.

Your situation might be similar to mine - ST is helping me about it, you might want to contact him.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Um... am I the only one for whom Talon's server hasn't worked since Monday?
Just... checking.
I am unhappy that people are having trouble; more is more merry. I've been on almost constantly for the entire weekend, up to and including now. ..excepting when I'm working (and even then I set up an AFK which usually takes at least a few hours to crash out--thus saving me from death by bare-fisted rock-punching starvation.) You've a robust internet connection, you're running 1.81 without mods, and you're trying with a fair bit of frequency, I presume, which means I've got no idea. I think ST suspected a firewall issue, but this is beyond my understanding.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Just... checking.

I've been on most every day, and the only troubles I've had are on my end.

If I could help you troubleshoot, I would.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Off topic a bit: I was playing around in creative in the nether, and I thought of a rather elaborate trap someone could make in an adventure world. Start the player off in what appears to be the nether (but is really in the real world), give them a bit of trouble getting out, then reveal a portal which takes them to 'a safe place' which appears to be in a cave (designed like a sanctuary underground). Ideally, there should be a bed over TNT over lava...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:02 am UTC

Kain wrote:Off topic a bit: I was playing around in creative in the nether, and I thought of a rather elaborate trap someone could make in an adventure world. Start the player off in what appears to be the nether (but is really in the real world), give them a bit of trouble getting out, then reveal a portal which takes them to 'a safe place' which appears to be in a cave (designed like a sanctuary underground). Ideally, there should be a bed over TNT over lava...

... that would take a lot of effort, but be quite humorous.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:41 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Kain wrote:Off topic a bit: I was playing around in creative in the nether, and I thought of a rather elaborate trap someone could make in an adventure world. Start the player off in what appears to be the nether (but is really in the real world), give them a bit of trouble getting out, then reveal a portal which takes them to 'a safe place' which appears to be in a cave (designed like a sanctuary underground). Ideally, there should be a bed over TNT over lava...

... that would take a lot of effort, but be quite humorous.

I almost want to learn how to use a world edit program, just to do that...
but then I would have to make a whole bunch of other traps as well, and besides the sand+redstone to TNT trap, and the cobwebs over lava in a snow biome (actually, I don't know if this one works: does snow cover cobwebs?), I can't think of anything...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

psion

Postby psion » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 am UTC

blalobw wrote:I'm OK with switching, if Talon and the rest of the community agrees.

When it was the popular one, how many people were usually on? What was the max?

Maybe we should all get together and stress-test psion's server?

Well it was never really that popular, but I've had 7+ often enough and the only server crashes I've had has been caused by plugins (which I promptly fixed). I've never noticed lag caused by other players either, even when messing around with TNT.

Feylias

1.9 Prerelease five.

Postby Feylias » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Prerelease 5 now released. Here's Jeb's tweet with the link https://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/129568296600219648
So far, changes are:
Spoiler:
Block of iron texture is changed.
You now have mushroom biome grass in your creative inventory.
Fence Posts no longer connect to leaves.
Overall performance seems to be better.
More achievements.
Annoying Stair glitch fixed.
Grass seems to be slightly different.
Option to disable clouds in menu.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:05 pm UTC

If we had strongholds they would be at: (x260, z756) (x-908, z-152) and (x488, z-392)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:31 pm UTC

Mensa180 wrote:Hi all. Could I be whitelisted? name- Mensa

Yes!

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

2bcontinued.png
To be continued...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

So whatcha gonna do with all that stone there buddy?
Also, I would vote for resetting STs map, or moving to psions, if we were somehow allowed to bring with us one full inventory of whatever we can carry. Yes this is me trying to maintain my wealth. If that was allowed I would gladly move/support a reset.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

I vote to keep the old map, but probably blow giant holes in the ground where the strongholds should go, given we figure out how they spawn.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

I vote for a new map upon release, as well as the inventory thing. Give me a 2-day warning so I can get my good stuff, though. Ideally, I don`t want to start from complete scratch.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

We already have a planned system for the new update, and I kinda like the progression in complexity you see as you leave spawn.

Plus, I've already invested too much time into my project(s) to let it/them get reset without a fight.

Kids these days, what with their pokemans and not getting malaria or shot at and detachment from arbitrary locations.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

We'll see how Strongholds play out. If they become nigh-infinite, then it's not even a discussion. It's only if they aren't... and even then, deleting the chunks (or migrating them) may generate them.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:07 pm UTC

One day's progress.png
Progress after a day on the server

Edit: And don't kill the server! I've only just started using it D:

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 am UTC

after the events that took place today on ST's server I don't know if I should consider Scallel an ally or foe. though he did return my items and kept his promise of our trade, he took them by force, which I did not like... for now we are at peace.
I have challenged scallel to a wooden only sword fight at the Colosseum and he agreed, hopefully he shows up when the time comes...

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:18 am UTC

Okay, maybe its just me, but the color of swamp biome water just looks right when in caves. (Seed OnePointNinePointFive has not disappointed me)

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:08 am UTC

So I got sick of climbing my stairs and started building a piston elevator. Man are these things expensive!

Every meter it goes up requires four repeaters, plus some extra redstone. I thought the pistons would be the expensive part, and boy was I wrong.

So if you have extra redstone, I'd be very appreciative. I have about 40 meters to go, which is 160 repeaters and about 50 extra redstone, so about 480 redstone total T.T

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:59 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:We already have a planned system for the new update, and I kinda like the progression in complexity you see as you leave spawn.

Plus, I've already invested too much time into my project(s) to let it/them get reset without a fight.

Kids these days, what with their pokemans and not getting malaria or shot at and detachment from arbitrary locations.

No shit. They're all, wwwaaaaaaah the Trolley system in the nether doesn't even have labels and doesn't go anywhere? Waaaaaa. Well suck it, in my day we had to walk the few hundred thousand meters of above ground land! Uphill! Both ways! IN THE SNOW! There wasn't even a hell. You woke up on a deserted beach and you punched a tree like a man!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:14 am UTC

It does mean resources are easier to get in the newer-version areas, as are special blocks. I poked around in a cave system near Scallel's village in 1point8 land, and got huge piles of iron and coal. I'm going to build an outpost there, because it's too dangerous going in the mineshafts unarmed and limited. I may need to create my own nether railway, though. It's really far.

Also, my settled location is a hilltop straight west from the communarium. Right now it has a ladder attached, but it'll be a fully-functional floating home soon.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:32 am UTC

I wish they'd quit it with the double-pre release business.

I'm taking a break to play Terraria, maybe until the for real next update, but I don't want the servers to change. (except, did Psion's server already change and I lost my secret lair? I made it while the server was set to 'peaceful', on account of I didn't adequately illuminate my lair to prevent monster spawns).

It wouldn't exactly be devastating if things did change, I have a nice ice palace set up on the ST's server.

I admit I'm not exactly keeping up to date with the Minecraft goings ons.

psion

Postby psion » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:52 am UTC

I reset the world, yeah. I posted a link to download the original one somewhere in this thread.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

So, I'm constructing a new, large skywalk from spawn to the west. The surface terrain here is terribly varied with lakes and cliffs and snow and mountains and swamps, so I built this high-level (y 110) walkway for transportation purposes. It's kind of easy to spot, and will get easier to see as it expands, so for my fellow neighbors in the local area (easiest way to see if you qualify: go to your base, look up, see a big thick stone walkway?), if you'd like to hook up your home to the skywalk, let me know and we'll find a way to get it to work.

Now, question to general server: this thing is approaching spawn. where should the terminus be? One terminus is at my place, though it's easy to reroute if anyone wants to extend it further (as far as I see, there aren't any major construction areas behind me home). The other... it can descend into the general layout of spawn, and right now I'm over the small, cobble-pathed islands. If I keep going, I'll reach the communarium quite soon.

The skywalk will have a railway, so I might prefer to have it closer to the main train station.

If others might be bothered by a sky walkway entering the spawn area, I'll cut it short and descend prior to spawn-area far-distance viewing range.

(P.S. Meteorswarm, would you like a (sky) railway into your castle as well?)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

Can I get linked to the walkway? My house is pretty remote, it'd be appreciated :)

Won't be able to help you till I've finished building it, though.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:36 pm UTC

Steax wrote:So, I'm constructing a new, large skywalk from spawn to the west. The surface terrain here is terribly varied with lakes and cliffs and snow and mountains and swamps, so I built this high-level (y 110) walkway for transportation purposes. It's kind of easy to spot, and will get easier to see as it expands, so for my fellow neighbors in the local area (easiest way to see if you qualify: go to your base, look up, see a big thick stone walkway?), if you'd like to hook up your home to the skywalk, let me know and we'll find a way to get it to work.

Now, question to general server: this thing is approaching spawn. where should the terminus be? One terminus is at my place, though it's easy to reroute if anyone wants to extend it further (as far as I see, there aren't any major construction areas behind me home). The other... it can descend into the general layout of spawn, and right now I'm over the small, cobble-pathed islands. If I keep going, I'll reach the communarium quite soon.

The skywalk will have a railway, so I might prefer to have it closer to the main train station.

If others might be bothered by a sky walkway entering the spawn area, I'll cut it short and descend prior to spawn-area far-distance viewing range.

(P.S. Meteorswarm, would you like a (sky) railway into your castle as well?)

Dude, there's already a railway, it's just underground, and needs to be repaired. It'd make me happier if you made your walkway come out of the ground west of the castle and link up with the existing railway. I really don't like the idea of new unprotected entrances to the castle, and the rail line is already linked up to that sky railway.

There's some work that needs to be done linking the railway to spawn, but I'll do that once I get more time.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Can I get linked to the walkway? My house is pretty remote, it'd be appreciated :)

Won't be able to help you till I've finished building it, though.

I think you're in a different direction, unless you have a different house?

Meteorswarm wrote:Dude, there's already a railway, it's just underground, and needs to be repaired. It'd make me happier if you made your walkway come out of the ground west of the castle and link up with the existing railway. I really don't like the idea of new unprotected entrances to the castle, and the rail line is already linked up to that sky railway.

There's some work that needs to be done linking the railway to spawn, but I'll do that once I get more time.

I'm probably going to connect to that railway, yes. I wasn't able to fully figure out how extensive that network was, and a walkway is a much more scenic route. I'll let the walkway drop to somewhere near your castle, then, and just connect the railway as planned.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm UTC

So stead may I take it that your going to be making trips put to one point eight lands? If so you are allowed all that I grow.
Also Kiid I apologize. But I got my seeds. So :D
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

I'm already making routine trips. There's a huge mineshaft system just aside from your portal, I've already plundered the natives for bucketloads of resources. I'm constructing an outpost a bit further west, too.

Also, does settime have an effect on mobs like creepers? I was looking seriously at spawn atop my walkway end, only to look back and there was a creeper in the distance. With no water to jump into, I decided to charge at it and try pushing it off, but at that moment Ulhar used settime and it vanished into thin air (becoming even creepier in the process).

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:07 pm UTC

Stead will your outpost be Within sight of my village? Or would you like me construct a path out to your outpost from the portal for your convenience?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

It'll be immediately outside your village, but on the other side of the portal. The resources are alarming.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:24 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:Dude, there's already a railway, it's just underground, and needs to be repaired. It'd make me happier if you made your walkway come out of the ground west of the castle and link up with the existing railway. I really don't like the idea of new unprotected entrances to the castle, and the rail line is already linked up to that sky railway.

I'm probably going to connect to that railway, yes. I wasn't able to fully figure out how extensive that network was, and a walkway is a much more scenic route. I'll let the walkway drop to somewhere near your castle, then, and just connect the railway as planned.

So here's how it stands at present:

There's a three-wide tunnel that goes from my castle to Walkerm's house by the bridge. I want to extend this to link up with grand central (it's already most of the way there), and also build a station stop at my castle. About 1/3 of the way towards walkerm's house, there's a junction with the existing, one-wide sky tramway, which is now defunct.

Here's how I envision expansion, in no particular order:
  • Link up with Grand Central.
  • Repair the skyway junction, leaving the skyway one-track for now. Use this to figure out a good switching method.
  • Widen the skyway to three wide and two track, placing a station at the entrance to the floating bowl castle, and Scallel's scary lava fortress, and maybe the sky farm. Most of these sites are defunct.
  • Extend the skyway beyond this, maybe eventually leading to my crying enderman statue far to the south west.
  • Dig some kind of connection, either on the main line or on a spur, to a station stop at the bottom of my stairwell, next to the slime farm
  • Extend the line to the west, and raise it out of the ground to be a sky railway for you.

We can do the last one first if you like. Make sure that your pathway is at least three wide so two carts can pass in opposite directions. I've got a lot of iron and gold we can use for tracks.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:No shit. They're all, wwwaaaaaaah the Trolley system in the nether doesn't even have labels and doesn't go anywhere? Waaaaaa. Well suck it, in my day we had to walk the few hundred thousand meters of above ground land! Uphill! Both ways! IN THE SNOW! There wasn't even a hell. You woke up on a deserted beach and you punched a tree like a man!

Yeah, back in my day we didn't have any fancy schmancy Grand Central. Kids these days have it too easy with their communariums, settime, mob farms and their walled spawn area.

Being serious, I'd be willing to donate some rail for the skyway, steax.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:04 pm UTC

I miss spawning on sand.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Steax wrote:

So here's how it stands at present:

There's a three-wide tunnel that goes from my castle to Walkerm's house by the bridge. I want to extend this to link up with grand central (it's already most of the way there), and also build a station stop at my castle. About 1/3 of the way towards walkerm's house, there's a junction with the existing, one-wide sky tramway, which is now defunct.

Here's how I envision expansion, in no particular order:
  • Link up with Grand Central.
  • Repair the skyway junction, leaving the skyway one-track for now. Use this to figure out a good switching method.
  • Widen the skyway to three wide and two track, placing a station at the entrance to the floating bowl castle, and Scallel's scary lava fortress, and maybe the sky farm. Most of these sites are defunct.
  • Extend the skyway beyond this, maybe eventually leading to my crying enderman statue far to the south west.
  • Dig some kind of connection, either on the main line or on a spur, to a station stop at the bottom of my stairwell, next to the slime farm
  • Extend the line to the west, and raise it out of the ground to be a sky railway for you.

We can do the last one first if you like. Make sure that your pathway is at least three wide so two carts can pass in opposite directions. I've got a lot of iron and gold we can use for tracks.

Currently, my plan is on having a straight, lit pathway 4 blocks wide, and enough space for expansion if necessary. Seeing your plans, I think the best option is for my skyway to branch somewhere round your castle; the rail lines then merge with the existing CobbleRail (they're already intersecting now), and the pedestrian walkways descend and merge with the old cobble paths near spawn. If we want double lines, I'll extend this to 6 blocks wide. For simplicity, we can dedicate the northern 3 blocks for rail (since it'll integrate with the existing one), and the southern 3 for pedestrians, since we've got neighbors on that side (and you don't want a pedestrian entrance).

In this layout, my in-progress skyway is really just for pedestrian use, and the railway connects to it for better accessibility/expandibility. Since it works this way, we can have stations along the route to allow for branching into different directions.

The entire BrickSkyway, leading from my house, is 500 meters long, but I've got enough to make it 6 blocks wide.

Xerillum wrote:Being serious, I'd be willing to donate some rail for the skyway, steax.

Thank you! This is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. We also pass near your stock exchange/complex, so you're in an easy place if you'd like a connection.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:25 pm UTC

Man, sometimes I want to join one of these servers, but every time I see think about how freaking gigantic the projects are, I just go "My little house isn't going to be very interesting" and then return to my server where I'm slowly -- very slowly -- building sort of nifty things. Mostly I just play with redstone.

Return to “Gaming”