Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Josephine » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:00 am UTC

I don't like that one. I can acquire a full chest of most items in a few hours work at most. If I'm spending a month on a project, I think /give is a good reward.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:17 am UTC

Well yeah, that requires some scaling. If you drop it down to, say, 24 hours, 1-3 chests might be fair. The goal is about getting difficult-to-get items, anyway... like spawners, obsidian and TNT.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Well.. Obsidian and TNT are difficult. Spawners are impossible.

Also, I hope I find time this weekend to hide more chests. That was a surprisingly large amount of fun - zipping over the countryside, stopping at random spots, digging a hole, burying a chest with a few goodies inside and moving on. Mostly chainmail so far, with some apples in some but.. I figure what's keeping me from putting in Sponges or something like that? Exactly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Pig spawners have their uses!

I thought sponges no longer worked for a while?

In other news, my Skyway has touched down near piman1's front yard. It's... as expected, quite bulky. I'm happy with it, though. Dear all xkcd pilots, please be aware that the Skyway is NOT a runway, no matter how much it might look like one. Thank you.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

Sponges may not work, but they still look like sponges.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:48 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Well yeah, that requires some scaling. If you drop it down to, say, 24 hours, 1-3 chests might be fair. The goal is about getting difficult-to-get items, anyway... like spawners, obsidian and TNT.
I'd drool over the option of getting some cave spider, giant, ghast, and blaze spawners placed...but as far as things it'd be neat to have in your inventory:
Spoiler:
Silverfish blocks!
kekekekeke....

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:52 pm UTC

I'm not certain that's possible.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Josephine » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

I believe that Bukkit can change the mob that a spawner produces. You'd have to look into it further, but I think it would be amazing under the cobble sky.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:41 pm UTC

So basically, all I need to do is find chain leggings and contest won.

Will answer questions about literature for chain leggings.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26519
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

Sure. Given that I've hidden quite a few chain leggings and that due to some earlier bit of prizeawardary I was unaware happened, think of it more of a quest than a contest. Everyone can win once, provided they put in the legwork to win. Or barter with someone for chain pants.

*note - I confiscate all three pants at the time of awarding the prize.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:34 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sure. Given that I've hidden quite a few chain leggings and that due to some earlier bit of prizeawardary I was unaware happened, think of it more of a quest than a contest. Everyone can win once, provided they put in the legwork to win. Or barter with someone for chain pants.

*note - I confiscate all three pants at the time of awarding the prize.

Well, my vast quantities of gold make that no issue. Though; I do suppose it is also a question of what this reward is. That was a little non-specific.

Meem1029
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:48 pm UTC

Hmm, my post earlier didn't go through.

Thanks Scallel for the goodies and portal! As for the fact that you destroyed half my mountain, I am perfectly ok with it since I was debating making my home floating anyway. Now I have motivation to complete that. Although I did like the water flowing down the mountain. Oh well, that's what the other nearby mountains are for.

Also for anyone who wants to visit, I should give directions. From Scallel's village, go a long ways southwest until you see a mountain with water pouring down it and a roof made of burning netherrack. Alternately, from nbonaparte's house just follow the shoreline around. Then go to the side facing the other mountains until you see waterfalls sticking out. Swim up these and you're there! If you have a need of cobble, feel free to grab some. Most other stuff is fine to take too, just don't take all my stuff. And the gifts Scallel gave me are off limits.

Feel free to visit!

Edit: I know that obsidian is a valued resource. I accidentally made a giant pit of it by not thinking about what I was doing with water in a cave. It's free for anyone to take as I probably won't get to harvesting it anytime soon. It's in my cave (inside through my original cave house. Marked by many torches.) and down a ways. Go to the right when you hit a split, and then follow the trail until you reach it. If you feel like leaving a gift for me in exchange feel free :).
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:25 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Edit: I know that obsidian is a valued resource. I accidentally made a giant pit of it by not thinking about what I was doing with water in a cave. It's free for anyone to take as I probably won't get to harvesting it anytime soon. It's in my cave (inside through my original cave house. Marked by many torches.) and down a ways. Go to the right when you hit a split, and then follow the trail until you reach it. If you feel like leaving a gift for me in exchange feel free :).


Obsidian isn't hard to produce, but it's valuable in inventory form because it is very slow to mine. So a lake of obsidian isn't very valuable...
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:46 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:Edit: I know that obsidian is a valued resource. I accidentally made a giant pit of it by not thinking about what I was doing with water in a cave. It's free for anyone to take as I probably won't get to harvesting it anytime soon. It's in my cave (inside through my original cave house. Marked by many torches.) and down a ways. Go to the right when you hit a split, and then follow the trail until you reach it. If you feel like leaving a gift for me in exchange feel free :).


Obsidian isn't hard to produce, but it's valuable in inventory form because it is very slow to mine. So a lake of obsidian isn't very valuable...


(But if you can figure out some way to afk mine it, you can make a tidy profit, probably: try using water canals)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:35 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:Edit: I know that obsidian is a valued resource. I accidentally made a giant pit of it by not thinking about what I was doing with water in a cave. It's free for anyone to take as I probably won't get to harvesting it anytime soon. It's in my cave (inside through my original cave house. Marked by many torches.) and down a ways. Go to the right when you hit a split, and then follow the trail until you reach it. If you feel like leaving a gift for me in exchange feel free :).


Obsidian isn't hard to produce, but it's valuable in inventory form because it is very slow to mine. So a lake of obsidian isn't very valuable...


(But if you can figure out some way to afk mine it, you can make a tidy profit, probably: try using water canals)

Presumably, using the redstone trick, you could make a very long line of obsidian, and then just afk w and the left mouse button (and have a cobblestone generator at the end to prevent going forward forever)

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Vieto wrote:Presumably, using the redstone trick, you could make a very long line of obsidian, and then just afk w and the left mouse button (and have a cobblestone generator at the end to prevent going forward forever)
See my earlier post. ^_^ viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&p=2768597#p2768597

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Crap... Lava duplication was taken out. I guess it's a good thing though.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:12 am UTC

Well, there goes my plan for a simple obsidian tower... I guess Barad-d(u^)r is going to have to wait.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 am UTC

Kain wrote:Well, there goes my plan for a simple obsidian tower... I guess Barad-d(u^)r is going to have to wait.


You can get effectively all the lava you want from the Nether.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:00 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Kain wrote:Well, there goes my plan for a simple obsidian tower... I guess Barad-d(u^)r is going to have to wait.


You can get effectively all the lava you want from the Nether.


The keyword was simple... thanks to Nether fluid mechanics, it can be a pain to harvest lava from large lakes there (flow distance of 7, etc etc). On the other hand, I have enough slimeballs stockpiled that I should be able to make hundreds of fireproof potions, so ill just be able to swim in and get the lava I need. Guess I am going to need more buckets (actually, already have a full inventory worth, currently filled with lava, so I'll need to find an area, set up a nether portal, and get a bunch of molding ready...)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Minecraft

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:57 am UTC

I'm disappointed that it's not a feature.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Meem1029
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

I decided to see how quickly I could make it to the nether in my game (playing for real, not solely that, but with that being the focus), got to some lava and then decided to make a nether portal.This is what ended up happening...
Attachments
2011-11-05_10.38.28.png
Fail
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:31 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:I decided to see how quickly I could make it to the nether in my game (playing for real, not solely that, but with that being the focus), got to some lava and then decided to make a nether portal.This is what ended up happening...



The Quality Control Fascist says: "Does Not Meet Specification!"

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 am UTC

Oh well, it just means you will enter a smaller nether 1/8th the size of the normal nether!

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:55 am UTC

You'll be able to travel at 128 times normal speed! Ludicrous!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Meteorswarm
Posts: 979
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 am UTC
Location: Ithaca, NY

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:37 am UTC

So... my latest experiments in chicken farming have yielded results. This is two layers of the design, which can be extended vertically to arbitrary height:
Spoiler:
2011-11-05_17.04.36.png


I'm getting about 3 stacks a minute, although I haven't timed it well, with about 150-200 chickens trapped so far. This is ludicrous, but also hilarious.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:08 am UTC

I swear, I'm the only responsible farmer. My chickens are organic, well-fed, and given freedom to move. Thus, they are superior chickens! Buy Narnian ya damn hippy.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:46 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Spoiler:
2011-11-05_17.04.36.png



See, this is why I passed food quality legislation. Ludicrous.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I swear, I'm the only responsible farmer. My chickens are organic, well-fed, and given freedom to move. Thus, they are superior chickens! Buy Narnian ya damn hippy.

I challenge your assertion that your chickens are organic! They are clearly spherical. Real chickens are cubic and pixelated. Just like chicken nuggets.

User avatar
Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:28 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Chaoszerom » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:31 am UTC

However, we can assume that the chickens are spherical for mathematical purposes :P

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:36 am UTC

I believe cubic chickens would contribute more to efficiency because they tile better.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:44 am UTC

to be fair, while chickens are in spherical form, they stack nicely in inventory.

Melic
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:47 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Melic » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

For all those interested i set up a mumble(voice over IP program) just google mumble and down load the client. the server info is

Label: XKCDminecraft
Address: xkcdminecraft.mumble.com
Port: 7734
Username: what ever u make it
no pass

it can only hold 10 people but if we fill that up i will increase it
They call me Mr. Piman

User avatar
The Scyphozoa
Posts: 2871
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:33 pm UTC
Location: Sector 5

Re: Minecraft

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

Someone should add that to the OP.
Image
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Meteor, I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I think I'm getting awesome lag spikes every time I get near your castle. Could it be due to your chicken army?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

ST's server precautions:

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

So, this last five days or so ST's server has been crashing out regularly (Roughly every 20 minutes?). Warning signs are flying squid, blocks reappearing, chests/furnaces failing to open, and boats/chickens sinking through water, in increasing order of crash-harbinging. These crashes usually only last for a minute or two, and then you can log in and get back to work. However, you may lose stuff, so here are precautions:

The map is saved frequently, but your inventory isn't. If you put stuff in a chest, that stuff is probably safe. If you take stuff out of a chest (or the ground), you may lose it.

If you log out and back in to the server, your backpack will be saved. I urge you to do this every time you load up at a chest, find diamonds, or see squid flying.

Flying squid are harbingers of doom!

Alas, if you see chickens falling through water, boats sinking, or chests failing to open, it's probably too late. Keep track of anything important you lose and ask an op for a refund the next time he's on.

Scallel: 1.6 nostalgic, isn't it? ^_^

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

To test my hypothesis that Meteorswarm inevitably opened a gate to the beyond-lands with his chicken condensation accelerator, I tried this:

1. Hanging around near piman1 outside of visual range of Castle Impenetrable: Normal conditions, everyone online.
2. I enter the castle underground to test the cart system: Ping begins to rise uncontrollably.
3. I attempt to escape the castle: Clients crash repeatedly, ping stays at a stable 10k-12k and getting out is extremely hard. Others login and out, taking refuge at a neighboring dimension.
4. I successfully escape, wait around 30 seconds: ping returns to normal.
5. About 1 minute later, server crashes.

So... yeah. It appears that loading the chickentrino chronosphere machine into server chunks cause unimaginable chaos, destruction, and overcooked lasagna.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

Kill it with fire.

Hopefully those chickens die.

Scallel
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:08 pm UTC
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Scallel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Yes very nostalgic. Part of my temple disappeared and was replaced by dirt and grass. Im pretty sure that's really bad.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:I'm getting about 3 stacks a minute, although I haven't timed it well, with about 150-200 chickens trapped so far. This is ludicrous, but also hilarious.
Whoah. Um, do you have something to destroy eggs when you're not around? Maybe some cacti or burning netherrack in the bottom? Otherwise all those floating eggs (um, about 240?) will add a teeny bit of lag. ...about as much lag as is added when I harvest my wheat farm:
Spoiler:
2011-11-06_07.38.40.png
but it might help. ^_^

Actually, things got worse. I went in and added an easily-removable cactus to the delivery point, to destroy eggs when you're not there. ^_^; I hope that's okay. A few chickens died; I was escorted in by Rirez, Piiman, and Jaho. Most of 'em are still there. I'm not sure they don't cause the crashes, but my FPS didn't get unbearable or anything.

Er, actually,
Spoiler:
2011-11-06_08.36.12.png
Last edited by Feylias on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:30 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests