Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Scallel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Good news: I fixed the sever. Cost: I killed almost all of the chickens in meteors whirlpool thing. Everything is now stable.

EdIt: Ok so it crashed after I went through the portal back to my village.
Last edited by Scallel on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Oh, speaking of Scallel. I should note this to you.
When you destroyed half my mountain, you provided several very nice spots for skeletons to hide from the sun and shoot me as I'm going up my entrance. That definitely confused me the first couple times it happened.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Good news: I fixed the sever. Cost: I killed almost all of the chickens in meteors whirlpool thing. Everything is now stable.

EdIt: Ok so it crashed after I went through the portal back to my village.

If things don't improve I'm bringing my chickens back, but at least we know what happened...

Sometimes it feels good to be a mad scientist.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

As I voted neutral on the matter, I decided to enter with the other members to ensure no unnecessary lives were lost.

2011-11-07_01.07.32.png
Members of various kingdoms and empires arrive to examine the emergency.

One representative decided upon "aggressive negotiations" and decided to terminate the lives of the offending alien invaders.

2011-11-07_01.22.55.jpg
In a careful dance of elegance and precision, it's boom boom time.

Preliminary results are good.

Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens.
Last edited by Steax on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:03 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Also, I saved your soul sand chickens from destruction.

You can now thank the Narnian Allied Treaty Organization Forces for being so diligent.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

it might just be me, but I still have some lag, also chunks take a while to load. and when I was working on my project I couldn't access my chests, furnaces or work bench.

2011-11-06_10.33.17.png
fuck you world guard!

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Also, I saved your soul sand chickens from destruction.

You can now thank the Narnian Allied Treaty Organization Forces for being so diligent.

I still regard this as a hostile invasion of the sovereign state of Castle Impenetrable. Be glad our congress is so reasonable, I would have declared war on Scallel and Narnia both.

Notably, I believe you may have bribed the senators with wheat, despite killing the entire house of representatives.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:it might just be me, but I still have some lag, also chunks take a while to load. and when I was working on my project I couldn't access my chests, furnaces or work bench.

2011-11-06_10.33.17.png

Try it without the string. Worldguard intreprets string-clicks as requests for information.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

I have a small idea why STs server is messing up. Whenever I go back go my one point eight lands the server starts to lag for me, and this morning when I logged on part of my temple was gone and replaced by sort blocks that looked generated. Perhaps the two are related? And when I say par of my temple I mean everything within a certain square was gone, the walls, the floor, the torches and the ladders.

Oh and to meteorswarm: The forces of Authority Tower adhere to no laws or countries but will do anything to maintain interdimensional stability. No forces can be allowed which threaten the safety of the Universes too greatly.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Since I can't build (thanks to the lag, and the random server crashes), I've decided to show off my ranch!
I'm thinking I might relocate once we upgrade the server, make it bigger and add more functions to it.
so far I have 5 pens on the first level, each 5x11 and hold two of each species. each pen has a source of water and food, and some light to keep the jealous mobs outside.
second floor I use it for storage and cooking, eventually I was gonna use it for my chicken farm but they kept on dying, so I had to relocate them outside.

Spoiler:
2011-11-06_11.50.06.png
welcome to Anduril Acres
2011-11-06_11.51.50.png
main entrance
2011-11-06_11.59.21.png
the entrance from the inside
2011-11-06_11.52.11.png
just a pen.
2011-10-23_22.11.48.png
happy pig is happy
2011-10-23_23.27.30.png
a view from above

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

So, so... the chickens are why I kept dying to slimes and other lag empowered enemies? Chicken Genocide time!

On a slightly different note, anyone know if the whole inability to kill mobs by hitting their ankles is a lag issue or something else? Until I can figure that out, my skeleton farm is going to have to wait :(
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:21 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Oh and to meteorswarm: The forces of Authority Tower adhere to no laws or countries but will do anything to maintain interdimensional stability. No forces can be allowed which threaten the safety of the Universes too greatly.

'cept the US. =P

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:45 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Oh and to meteorswarm: The forces of Authority Tower adhere to no laws or countries but will do anything to maintain interdimensional stability. No forces can be allowed which threaten the safety of the Universes too greatly.

Asserting immunity to international law does not mean that you actually have that immunity. And remember, Castle Impenetrable now possesses a doomsday device.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

The great eye has swept the land once again and the map is going to updated soon! And.. it's huge! (11083 chunks!)

(You can expect more regular updates from now on, some weird FTP stuff and things got in the way)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

Also, do we know if sheep grow back wool in the color they were dyed in 1.9? If they just grow back white then I really don't need 15 separate sheep pens.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:18 pm UTC

Awesome, can't wait to see what my castle looks like on the map!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Also, do we know if sheep grow back wool in the color they were dyed in 1.9? If they just grow back white then I really don't need 15 separate sheep pens.

In 1.9.4 and 1.9.5 I couldn't get them to grow back wool. Instead, I would just breed them, kill them, and dye the baby sheep (because they look soooo cute when dyed)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 pm UTC

So it was my area causing the lag. :( Meaning I can't work on any of my projects. Very sad day for me.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:58 pm UTC

Blagtiem. In order to kill grass beneath my sky, I sluice water.
Spoiler:
2011-11-06_12.52.43.png
First, I extend a cobblestone arm from the edge, leaving a 2m gap (I used to do 1m slots, but this is more efficient)
2011-11-06_12.54.01.png
I occasionally have to break a block that's in the way in order to keep the water extending.
2011-11-06_11.52.35.png
Once it's all the way to the other end, I'll go fill sky above desert or ocean for a square (just to give the grass some more time to die, and to get a break), then come back, fill in the slot while heading the other direction, and then start over. (This slot is 1 because 25 doesn't divide evenly into 2. ^_^)
Now every time I either extend an arm or fill in a slot, large amounts of waterfalls have to recalculate where they need to fall and where they need to subside. So, if you see me on the server I'm usually either AFK and generating cobble, or I'm moving water and generating lag.

I estimate that it takes me about 20 minutes per square to fill in in the grass-killing way. My best time filling squares above ocean is under 7 minutes. I've seriously considered just leaving the grass alone, or maybe asking a mod to kill it for me after I've covered it. ...but I feel that making an honest attempt to kill the grass with water is important and 'legit.' ...barring objections, I'll stick with the status quo.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

Is anyone else having trouble with the map not actually being updated? I see the old version of the map at all zoom levels except all the way zoomed in, and then I only see segments that have been made new.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with the map not actually being updated? I see the old version of the map at all zoom levels except all the way zoomed in, and then I only see segments that have been made new.
The map, unless I'm mistaken, is in the process of being updated. Give it a half-day and the program will have finished surveying the whole thing. In the meantime, I never knew that you could see parts of it updated at zoomed in! ^_^

I recall reading that there were no plans to give lambs the ability to inherit the color of their parents, and that instead they'd be generated with random colors just as grown sheep are. I can't find my source, though.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I guess I just had no idea about how long it would take to fully update and assumed something had gone wrong. I'll check back in a while then.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:31 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble with the map not actually being updated? I see the old version of the map at all zoom levels except all the way zoomed in, and then I only see segments that have been made new.

If you want to know more, it's currently finished rendering and now is uploading, in pretty much random order until complete (Dropbox says in 2hours, but you never know). During this time, there will be some updated bits and some not (There's a whole lot more information at a closer zoom, so, it's more likely the closer zooms will be updated first).

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:53 pm UTC

Has anyone else seen shimmering at the bottom of a glass water pool? I mean something like this.

Spoiler:
2011-11-07_10.45.47.png

2011-11-07_10.45.54.png

Very rapidly flickering though. Can't find anything about it on the wiki.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:22 am UTC

Looks like it's the bottom surface of the water... the flickering is probably it z-fighting with the glass...

Try dropping a torch below the glass... should make it easier to see, at any rate.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:30 am UTC

Yeah, it is definitely the bottom of the pool of water, resting on glass. Some more screenshots, hopefully better lit now.

Spoiler:
2011-11-07_11.26.58.png

2011-11-07_11.27.00.png

2011-11-07_11.27.01.png

z-fighting is something I'll have to look up. Its not as obvious in those, the diagonals in the texture aren't as clearly flickering 'on' and 'off'.

and now that I've looked up z-fighting, that's almost certainly what it is.
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 am UTC

Scallel wrote:So it was my area causing the lag. :( Meaning I can't work on any of my projects. Very sad day for me.

Wait, what were you doing? And does it mean I can have my chickens back?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:13 am UTC

I discovered something weird while playing with mcnostalgia. (It's a program that lets you play any past version you want.)

If I generate a world in pre-Halloween update Alpha, then load that same world in post-Halloween update, there is an obvious chunk boundary between the old and new terrain. What's strange is that if the second version is 1.7.3 (or, presumably, anything after tall grass was added), the tall grass appears on the old terrain as well. But only within about one chunk of the boundary.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 am UTC

I've finally decided to move to 1.8 so...Land claiming time!
does this claim interfere with anyone else.
Spoiler:
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
The map, unless I'm mistaken, is in the process of being updated. Give it a half-day and the program will have finished surveying the whole thing. In the meantime, I never knew that you could see parts of it updated at zoomed in! ^_^

I recall reading that there were no plans to give lambs the ability to inherit the color of their parents, and that instead they'd be generated with random colors just as grown sheep are. I can't find my source, though.

Yeah, they are born white. I just want to know if they keep their color if they regrow wool. Then I could have a herd of sheep for each color of wool and then we wouldn't need dyes anymore.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:59 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:I've finally decided to move to 1.8 so...Land claiming time!
Spoiler:

No interference, but see that swamp just south of your village? That is all a dependency of mine.

Also, there totally weren't any windows in that village when I got there... yeah...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:00 am UTC

This is what I see when I try logging in to Scallel's glitch-chunk.

glitchness.jpg
Carefully observe the arrows and rotten meat near the center of the screen

Sorry for the bad quality - I had to use a different screengrab program because minecraft was unresponsive. I have no idea why this happens.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Spoiler:

Cool, I have a neighbor! I'm the tiny dirt hut to the NW of your claim.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:06 am UTC

As of current, my land is not on the most recent map.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:22 am UTC

Spoiler:

Then would you mind if I stole borrowed invaded peaceably annexed that little plaza outside my city?

Also,a few (unnamed) individuals took it upon themselves to go sightseeing at the chunk-that-crashes-when-loaded. I'm not even going to ask why.

I'll make this clear. Do not visit Scallel's 1.8 area until further notice.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:31 am UTC

Apologies. Judging from previous experiments on said chunk, we were expecting it to behave much like the previously bugged areas (as in, not instant-crash but lag-inducing, you could log back in and escape relatively easily). It's a kind of crash I've never seen before. It also doesn't crash on instant load, apparently - we were hanging around there for several minutes before scallel jumped on the segment and all hell broke loose. I have a feeling it has to do with monster drops as well, given there are a huge amount of them in the shadow of that large structure (and, judging from the crashing, immediately underneath).

Scallel, this is all your fault. What did you think would happen when you store millions of cubic tons of diamond, explosives and ores in a small area?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:32 am UTC

Is this a.. Erase the chunks level problem, or is it something that can be fixed?

aka - Can Scallel undo whatever is being done?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:35 am UTC

Well, he can stop going back after I tell him to bugger off.

But yeah, sounds like the chunk needs to be hard reset.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:53 am UTC

NUKE IT FROM ORBIT!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Minecraftian nukes' craters are perfect squares, of course.

Return to “Gaming”