Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Re: Minecraft

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Yeah, pistons + rails would be so good.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:36 pm UTC

I saw an interesting design for multiple exits from a station that had about 8 different exit lines, all parallel, and sloping down, and the cart went on a rail perpendicular and above them; depending on which exit was chosen, pistons would withdraw the track at the appropriate point, and insert a glass block to stop the cart's motion so you drop straight down.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:56 pm UTC

Problem is, I can't seem to find a way to push any track with the block under it. Even 2 pistons pushing simultaneously don't work. I've only managed to push track between two locations, both of which are on top of another solid block.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

I think I'll need diagrams here.

So pistons can push rails from one place to another horizontally one block. I suppose you could use another piston to retract the block that the rail used to be on...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:28 pm UTC

So, seen from above:

Code: Select all

T T
  T P
T T

With T = tracks and P = pistons. With a full 2x3 area of solid blocks beneath, you can freely push the middle track left and right. I guess you could have 2 pistons pushing/pulling in different positions to retract the track, but it's kinda complicated. I also tested an intersection design with multiple outputs, but unless you can chain pistons, it's no-go.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

This is the only way I know of to chain pistons, since you can't pull or push an extended piston.
Attachments
Piston Caterpillar.png
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

It works fine for 2 pistons, but anything beyond that, I can't seem to get a sticky piston attached to a sticky piston to pull another one. It appears the "stickiness" only works when it's the actual object pulling. If a piston stuck to a block is being pulled by another sticky piston, the one being pulled "forgets" that it's sticky and just retracts without taking the block with it.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:49 pm UTC

Didn't we already have the piston elevator discussion waaaaaay back when 1.7 was released?

I'm pretty sure someone made a 5 or 6 block elevator, and we explained the theory behind it.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&start=2360

There you go.

This is the full thing.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

Hmm. On a different note, I'm curious what sandbox material people prefer when working with redstone/pistons/etc. I prefer lapis (probably obvious from my last post). I've seen sandstone used a lot.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Whatever's on hand, I barely ever play creative...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

So could anyone tell me the current progress being made on the tumor? Or is the server still down trying to amputate the limb?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

I use wool when testing in creative. Red wool for structure, green wool for movable objects. If TNT is involved, obsidian is used for all structure.

Thing is, the redstone required for any sort of minecart station will be extremely non-trivial. And when you're building in the sky like I am, there's... not much room. At all.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:So could anyone tell me the current progress being made on the tumor? Or is the server still down trying to amputate the limb?
That. I'd prefer to not fire up the server unless the broken areas are being tested.

Contrary to previous groutch on my part, I'd actually rather *fix* the problem with minimal loss over cutting the entire thing out and forcing a regeneration.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Scallel wrote:So could anyone tell me the current progress being made on the tumor? Or is the server still down trying to amputate the limb?
That. I'd prefer to not fire up the server unless the broken areas are being tested.

Contrary to previous groutch on my part, I'd actually rather *fix* the problem with minimal loss over cutting the entire thing out and forcing a regeneration.

Thank you ST. As always you are a wise and benevolent server host. Many honors shall be made in your name.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

If there is a vote mine goes to "nuke it from orbit"
They call me Mr. Piman

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:58 pm UTC

Melic wrote:If there is a vote mine goes to "nuke it from orbit"

I actually think that'd be awesome, if not for the fact that literally all of my wealth and any valuables I have are near that area. I don't want to lose everything. Really don't.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 pm UTC

one can only watch so much p0rn. is it gonna be ready by the weekend? I really don't wanna go to aunt Rosie's potluck.
also, I think I got stuck at Scallel's portal. I was on my way to his tumor when all this happened. I was left behind by the gang. :|

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:04 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:one can only watch so much p0rn. is it gonna be ready by the weekend? I really don't wanna go to aunt Rosie's potluck.
also, I think I got stuck at Scallel's portal. I was on my way to his tumor when all this happened. I was left behind by the gang. :|

Can we please stop talking about people (trying to) visit the server crashing tumor? It makes me want to cry. :cry:

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
tHe_kiiD wrote:one can only watch so much p0rn. is it gonna be ready by the weekend? I really don't wanna go to aunt Rosie's potluck.

Can we please stop talking about people (trying to) visit the server crashing tumor? It makes me want to cry. :cry:

ohh no, this happened the day it crashed. I was supposed to go with the group but I was left behind. I haven't been able to log in since then. sorry?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:24 pm UTC

Also, Psion's server now has Narnia: Alternative Universe Edition.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

I almost want to seriously play on Psion's server, but A: everytime I hear the word Psion I want to play starcraft, and B: I would have even less diamonds there than I have left in ST's, and I don't think gana will do those diamond trades there :(

Oh, random question: were the seeds on the worlds chosen randomly, or what? (I would assume that the worlds were generated before seeds could be chosen, but I don't know that for certain, and am curious as to who might know)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

I know ST's world was generated before you could choose a seed, but you'd have to ask psion about his server.

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:06 am UTC

As for diamonds on psions server, you need not worry. I shall soon have a full fledged mining operation able to supply everyone with diamonds. Not full diamond armor enough, but shovel sword and pickaxe.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:23 am UTC

how can we get white listed to play on Psion's server. I gotta try it out.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:49 am UTC

I don't think there is a whitelist on psion's.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 am UTC

what's the server's name and address?

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:02 am UTC

It's on the first post of the thread.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Scallel

Postby Scallel » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 am UTC

Laughed so hard when Kiid logs onto psions and says "I can't do this." I thought it was hilarious. Oh and in really awesome news I found my first diamond vein. I have enough for two picks and am going to give the other one to gana, whom I steal alot of wood from.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:47 am UTC

Further adventures in Minecraft physics: I'm pretty sure that an arrow shot horizontally will hit the ground at the same time as a dropped arrow. :P (Or a dropped block of sand, anyway... That's way easier to test.)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:48 am UTC

As it would in real life.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:18 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Didn't we already have the piston elevator discussion waaaaaay back when 1.7 was released?

I'm pretty sure someone made a 5 or 6 block elevator, and we explained the theory behind it.

There you go.

This is the full thing.

I also have half a working piston elevator on ST's server, although the server was too laggy for it to work consistently, so I just filled the rest of the shaft with gravel and abused the fact that if you log out in a block you get teleported up.

Also, when it *does* work properly, I get kicked for moving too fast.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:29 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:Didn't we already have the piston elevator discussion waaaaaay back when 1.7 was released?

There you go.

This is the full thing.

I also have half a working piston elevator on ST's server, although the server was too laggy for it to work consistently, so I just filled the rest of the shaft with gravel and abused the fact that if you log out in a block you get teleported up.

Also, when it *does* work properly, I get kicked for moving too fast.

You can get kicked for moving too fast?

This is going to introduce a problem for my ice expressway project...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Scallel wrote:Laughed so hard when Kiid logs onto psions and says "I can't do this." I thought it was hilarious. Oh and in really awesome news I found my first diamond vein. I have enough for two picks and am going to give the other one to gana, whom I steal alot of wood from.

I find it difficult to play minecraft stranded in a new world with no tools and where abouts of my location.
I guess I already got accustomed to ST's server, I know my way around the map, I have an outpost and a small stash of resources. I was on the server less than a minute before I gave up. I guess I'm too lazy to start from scratch and mine my own resources. I'll give it another try tomorrow, hopefully I don't quit again.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Further adventures in Minecraft physics: I'm pretty sure that an arrow shot horizontally will hit the ground at the same time as a dropped arrow. :P (Or a dropped block of sand, anyway... That's way easier to test.)
...how? I just spent an entire shower trying to figure out how to test this!

I can test whether two dispensers, triggered at the same moment, will have their dispensed items (arrow or not) hit the ground at a different time (pressure plates next to particles; say next to water flow, with the results piped to some simple redstone contraption that says which, if either, went first.) but that's the best I can do. Arrows? I think you'd need to use F3 (does it have a stat for angle-of-aim?) and some macros to get the timing right on your firing and dispenser-block hitting.

...or use two avatars at once? ... >_<

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:06 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Further adventures in Minecraft physics: I'm pretty sure that an arrow shot horizontally will hit the ground at the same time as a dropped arrow. :P (Or a dropped block of sand, anyway... That's way easier to test.)
...how? I just spent an entire shower trying to figure out how to test this!

I can test whether two dispensers, triggered at the same moment, will have their dispensed items (arrow or not) hit the ground at a different time (pressure plates next to particles; say next to water flow, with the results piped to some simple redstone contraption that says which, if either, went first.) but that's the best I can do. Arrows? I think you'd need to use F3 (does it have a stat for angle-of-aim?) and some macros to get the timing right on your firing and dispenser-block hitting.

...or use two avatars at once? ... >_<

Arrows out of a dispenser shoot like arrows from a bow... Actually wondering now at what velocity they shoot now, due to new bow charging and all that.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:29 am UTC

I set up an arrow dispenser at a large height, ran redstone out to where the arrows land, then manually got about forty readings of time between button push and arrow landing. (Dispenser-shot arrows vary a little in vertical angle, and the data kind of showed this.) Then I put dirt in the dispenser, moved the redstone to the new landing site (and careful to keep the delay the same), and got forty more readings. The second average was pretty much in the middle of the first distribution.

As for shot arrows... I don't know.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:40 am UTC

I suppose I shall have to test this...

...tomorrow :P

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am UTC

Thing is, I think the only object that reacts with arrows are paintings, and then you have to account for them bouncing off the wall (and onto a pressure plate). Also, things shot out of dispensers aren't perfectly straight.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am UTC

Steax wrote:Thing is, I think the only object that reacts with arrows are paintings, and then you have to account for them bouncing off the wall (and onto a pressure plate). Also, things shot out of dispensers aren't perfectly straight.

Don't arrows land on pressure plates? I was under the impression that they affected them. Either way, I'll probably either a) time it or b) peek at the code, and see what to do. Shouldn't require too much effort, with any luck. I mean, studying for Physics or Maths C (Hardest maths, by the by) isn't important or anything :P

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:

ohh no, this happened the day it crashed. I was supposed to go with the group but I was left behind. I haven't been able to log in since then. sorry?
As I understand it, the GMs on at the time were yelling at people to .. not go to Scallel's place. People did anyway.

We are not amused.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”