Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tHe_kiiD

Re: Minecraft

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:01 am UTC

phlip wrote:Hmm... I wonder how hard it'd be to actually make a mod that lets you right-click on bookshelves, and have it launch an ebook reader of some kind... Maybe some way to transfer books between bookshelves, and the like...

here is where i found out the bookshelve thing. I think you can also store items, but I'm not sure.

Edit: just skip through some pictures. you'll eventually see it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:59 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Dude! This mod is awesome!
I can't stand Atwood. She belongs in the dollar shelves, "The Grandmother" or no. If being able to write books in vernacular were all it took to be a good writer, every hillbilly would be Twain. Colon-P.

We can no longer be friends. She is one of the best writers of all time. OF ALL TIME!

Do you not realize she gets away with writing literary genre fiction?! Do you have any idea how big it is for a writer to be respected as a literary writer and to have that be for genre fiction? It's nearly unheard of. She's not even dead and she has an entire industry of criticism of her works--albeit they can never shut the fuck up about the feminist angle.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:27 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:We can no longer be friends. She is one of the best writers of all time.
Well, to be fair, I didn't much like Joyce either. Also, I'm contrary. Liking her stuff may be why you succeeded at getting your English degree and I merely added it to the list of majors that I'd once had before swapping again. But let's not get off topic here; we need the admins as un-angry as we can get them. I'll be happy to argue that Judy Blume's adult novels are equal to Atwood's any time we meet in the correct forum.
Spoiler:
Which would be a tavern. Like the one I'm going to build on Fiddler's Green. In Minecraft. On ST's server. So now this is topical?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:37 am UTC

I think I need help with a mini-project. At the end of the large ravine near gana/scallel's territory, there's apparently a slime-spawning chunk (I just saw 2 slimeballs sitting there when I arrived - I have no idea how the slime must've died). So how does the chunk math work again? How many layers should I clear out?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:We can no longer be friends. She is one of the best writers of all time.
Well, to be fair, I didn't much like Joyce either. Also, I'm contrary. Liking her stuff may be why you succeeded at getting your English degree and I merely added it to the list of majors that I'd once had before swapping again. But let's not get off topic here; we need the admins as un-angry as we can get them. I'll be happy to argue that Judy Blume's adult novels are equal to Atwood's any time we meet in the correct forum.
Spoiler:
Which would be a tavern. Like the one I'm going to build on Fiddler's Green. In Minecraft. On ST's server. So now this is topical?

Just remind me, that, when St's server is back, I'm writing the entire text of a certain, as of yet to be determined Atwood Short Story on signs surrounding your place.

Also, it'd be why I'm succeeding at graduate work. Well, I had a class in it. So I've read her extensively. Some of her earlier work isn't that great. Handmaid's Tale is by far not representative of her better work.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 am UTC

Steax wrote:I think I need help with a mini-project. At the end of the large ravine near gana/scallel's territory, there's apparently a slime-spawning chunk (I just saw 2 slimeballs sitting there when I arrived - I have no idea how the slime must've died). So how does the chunk math work again? How many layers should I clear out?

You can use a slime finder app to calculate the slime chunks in the region
Spoiler:
for instance, I use http://mcslimes.appspot.com/ when I need to find some slimeballs.

In the current version, slimes spawn below level 16, I think. In the 1.9.5 version and beyond, they apparently spawn below level 40.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 pm UTC

Thanks! So looks like I have 3 full chunks. Time to work.

Also, I'm probably going to be building an observation point over the Sea of Ganalef, from the hilltop connected to my hill and New Piggysville 3. More... wood...

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Is there a map somewhere of what areas are claimed on Psion's server?

I've started dissassembling a small island to serve as a foundation for an underwater house. If anyone objects I'll return it to a natural appearance.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:05 pm UTC

I have a wooden hill, Xeril has NP3, gana has an island (and an ocean), scallel and many others live with him underneath, preparing something that looks oddly like an upwards-pointed Saturn V rocket.

Other than that, I don't know. I'm pretty sure nobody will, uh, object towards destroying islands, seeing as someone literally terraformed an archipelago into an ocean...

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:25 pm UTC

So I decided to try out Skyblock. It's fun, and has no lag, so I like it. Also, I have Equivalent exchange installed, so I'm hoping a chicken will spawn. Any day now.

Feylias

1.9 prerelease SIX out now. 9_9

Postby Feylias » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:43 pm UTC

1.9 prerelease part SIX. ...naturally, know what you're doing and make backups.
Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre6/minecraft.jar
Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/1_9-pre6/mi ... server.jar

Changelog so far:
Spoiler:
Eyes of Ender now lead you straight to above the ring room. Be careful, as this could drop you in the lava.
End now has a big "Boss Health" bar.
End spikes now have these really nifty things!
Way to beyond the end.
Lily pads are solid now, and placement is no longer restricted to the swamp biome, but lily pad placement animation is a little fast.
Stairs drop stair blocks.
Many blocks now break faster with appropriate tools, have had their "health" fixed.
Fences under farmland no longer stop crop trampling.
A Repeater bug was fixed.
Powered Minecarts now push in any direction.
Game Option: Particle effects.

Bugs:
Wooden Doors cannot be opened manually, they are behaving like iron doors. - Confirmed to be fixed by Jeb for Sunday.
Lily pad placement animation is a little fast.
Lily pads are totally solid and boat riders can crash into them.
Creative: Can't enter a boat without placing another boat, also results in "taking off" because now two boats are in the same spot.
End portal reflects in the End atmosphere. Try getting above the fountain looking for an odd ring while near the fountain, in direction 2.
End portal blocks are still broken by water, leading to possibly being permanently trapped in the end.
Buttons and Levers no longer attach to glowstone.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:With the server being down, I am starting to have a severe case of boredom. Does anyone have any recommendations of other servers/mods/texture packs that could help alleviate my boredom?

Get the 1.9 release 5

use the seed norivers

Enjoy
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

Boss health?

Also, on Psion's, if you go towards normal Narnia direction, I've set up shop in those swamps.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:18 pm UTC

Fences under farmland no longer stop crop trampling

:(

Now what am I going to do with all the fences I get from clearing out abandoned mineshafts?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

Put them around the crops?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:38 am UTC

Spoilers for the boss fight:
Spoiler:
Obsidian towers in the nether have these things on top that heal the dragon if it's close enough to it. You have to shoot arrows at them to destroy them. You need the arrows because when you hit them they explode and you don't want to be next to it.
You can only kill the dragon by hitting it in the head.
When it dies it explodes in a spectacular display of light, and scatters fucktons of XP orbs.
A thing that looks like a floating well of bedrock appears where it dies. It has the portal goop in it, and what looks like an egg on top. Trying to break the egg makes it teleport a few blocks away.
Jumping into the goop lets you watch this weird narration scrolling text of deep trippiness. Thing. Then credits. Then you respawn in the normal world, at your spawn point. I don't know if it's a bug, or maybe just SMP related, but you have no XP left after returning to the normal world.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:10 am UTC

I'm disappointed with the end. Part of it is that I don't like the idea of an end, and another part is that I simply think the end text is trying too hard.

Spoiled for end text discussion.
Spoiler:
This new end text complicates things with some sort of extradimensional conspiracy thing. It tries to be deep and profound about the meaning of human existence in a simple game about punching blocks, and it comes across as pretentious.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:59 am UTC

Xerillum wrote:I'm disappointed with the end. Part of it is that I don't like the idea of an end, and another part is that I simply think the end text is trying too hard.

Spoiled for end text discussion.
Spoiler:
This new end text complicates things with some sort of extradimensional conspiracy thing. It tries to be deep and profound about the meaning of human existence in a simple game about punching blocks, and it comes across as pretentious.

In other words, I need to take a trip to Sweden and give them a lecture on write craft.

Oh thank Jesus for the yogcast.

Their reading of the end. Well, their attempt to read it.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:43 am UTC

I can't get through any of the end text. Its just horrible. They obviously contracted it out to Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings of Greenbridge, Essex. Fingers crossed that its just a deep trolling attempt.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:54 am UTC

Maybe... Maybe Notch signed up for NaNoWriMo? It would explain the quality... and the length.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

I liked the ending, the way it referenced a classic videogame and wasn't in any way rambling nonsense text.
Spoiler:
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:28 pm UTC

I so badly wish that was true.
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

No. Nononono. Because people who use the word "Minecraftia" need to get their head crushed in a door.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

Well, I found the boss to be very hard, namely because I left my torches back in the normal world.

Spoiler:

However, unlimited throwing swords helped.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Talon's server is online with a maybe-fixed map.

DO NOT BUILD ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO REBUILD.

Please check out all the areas you are familiar with and report anything wrong.

Report fps lagspikes and any other wierdness. Please include approximate coordinates.

We will restore what we can from old copies of the world if we can. If not we are willing to reimburse lost materials.

Have Fun!

Oh BTW: DO NOT BUILD ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO REBUILD.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

I logged onto ST's server and when I entered a portal, the server crashed.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:55 pm UTC

Xerillum wrote:I logged onto ST's server and when I entered a portal, the server crashed.

Don't do that! B-)

Just kidding. We'll check that out.

It may be that the Nether is corrupt also.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

Xerillum wrote:I logged onto ST's server and when I entered a portal, the server crashed.
I popped on in Scallel's lands, with my stuff, and wandered around. It was fine. I returned home via portals, and they all worked predictably. I boated to my home and am AFKing there now. No problems. It's good to be home. Eventually I'll boat the perimeter of my home and make sure none of the chunks are obviously corrupt, but I think I was far enough from the impact point.

I encountered a few Hydralisks on the creep that is coming out from under Scallel's mob-tower in progress, but they weren't any match for my running speed.
Spoiler:
Also, I've been trying to make my own Diskworldian Scrumble, so I may not be honest. Also, I think "Hubward" and "edgeward" are very useful terms for MC.
Also, IRT the ending text (which I haven't read, but will eventually, they were soliciting for it. (Twitter post in question)

Kerrigan is mai waifu. I'd let her infest me any day.
Last edited by Feylias on Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

I'll check out the various incarnations of Narnia later.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:41 am UTC

Steax wrote:I think I need help with a mini-project. At the end of the large ravine near gana/scallel's territory, there's apparently a slime-spawning chunk (I just saw 2 slimeballs sitting there when I arrived - I have no idea how the slime must've died). So how does the chunk math work again? How many layers should I clear out?

You need at least 2 vertical spaces, of course, but more means that you have less chance of buggy teleporting slimes. I'd clear out at least 5 if you want your sanity.

And the fewer mobs that can spawn nearby, the more slimes you get.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:00 am UTC

So, when I last logged out, I was in my mines near the zeppelin, and when I relogged, I was on top of the railway station. That gave me enough ?? to blank out for a while....
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:32 am UTC

mieulium wrote:So, when I last logged out, I was in my mines near the zeppelin, and when I relogged, I was on top of the railway station. That gave me enough ?? to blank out for a while....

I haven't a clue how that could have happened, except perhaps a transporter accident. Perhaps you've been split into good and evil halves or are from an opposite universe where the mods smite you with lightning for fun?

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:30 am UTC

I'm a little confused. Was minecraft released yesterday or.......?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:44 am UTC

They've been doing this "beta of a beta" thing, where they release a version for download on their website but it's not a version that the Minecraft launcher tries to download for you. After the release of beta 1.8 there were beta 1.9 pre-releases 1-6. Some of them have early, non-functioning potions. Some of them have a round sun and moon. The 6th one put them back to square and the moon has phases now. It also has a boss fight and an "ending" screen, with really annoying deep-sounding narration.

You know what? They should hire X from X's Adventures in Minecraft to write for them. (You can find that series as a playlist at http://youtube.com/davidr64yt.)

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:01 am UTC

It was mentioned like a month ago that he was pushing the date back to councide with minecon in Las Vegas! The eighteenth.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:13 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Also, IRT the ending text (which I haven't read, but will eventually, they were soliciting for it. (Twitter post in question)

Kerrigan is mai waifu. I'd let her infest me any day.

So, they seriously failed on that talented part.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:26 am UTC

Or were a little too successful on the "silly over-the-top out-of-nowhere" part.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:52 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:So, they seriously failed on that talented part.
I think any sort of textual end is probably a mistake, and believe they're likely to change things prior to the actual release. Still, it's not too late for you to submit something. They're probably working sixteen-hour days right now, but that means they can still change stuff.

Chaos; I met your buddy Adaactar on the ST server. Everything's going smoothly so far. ^_^ If your place is a smoldering hole in the ground when you get back, er, sorry. I helped him find your place. ^_^ Then I got lost exploring. There's so much neat STUFF!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:50 pm UTC

So far, so good. Big Brother was causing some errors, so I killed it. Don't know for certain if it was causing the "enter nether and crash" bug".

AFAIK we never had to use it for a rollback, so we probably don't need it.

Any other problems or concerns? I'm thinking later today we'll consider it fixed for real.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:20 pm UTC

I think they should have taken a cue from YHTBTR.
"Now you're a hero; you managed to beat the whole damn ga-ame.
We're happy you made it, but how are you gonna spend the rest of this da-ay?
Maybe watch a video,
Maybe press respawn and start again."

Return to “Gaming”