Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

PhoenixEnigma

Re: Minecraft

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:25 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Apparently an easier way to do lots of mods is to run your own Craftbukkit server for yourself, and then add the mods as plugins.

Anyone done this? Know how it would work?

I'm running a Craftbukkit server (island-SMP go!), and it's dead easy, really. Obviously it limits you to server-side, Bukkit-based mods, but that's a fairly large ecosystem, and the handful I've used have been more or less plug-n-play and seem to get along nicely. They also don't support pre-releases, if that's a concern (although who knows what will happen to those with Minecraft 1.0 coming out.)

Not sure it would be worth it as a private server just for yourself, though - most of the mods seem to have a strong multiplayer focus (better chat, admin tools, economy, etc).
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:51 am UTC

...and this is why you don't lay cobble down when drunk. (gana I will clean this is up later)

Spoiler:
2011-11-17_19.44.44.png

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:00 am UTC

The problem with the communarium is difficulty in getting resources there, since we're all so far apart. I'm sure we're all more than happy to share stuff we're not using, but it's just a pain to get them there. I'm experimenting with freight trains (which you follow along on to load chunks) to see how practical a freight rail might be.

Also, has anyone come to visit my prototype piston-powered farm? I'm just checking because a bit was untilled and a few seeds were missing, and I need to know if animals/mobs were spawning. Guests are always welcome.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:23 am UTC

Speaking of spawn and the communarium, if anyone has need of cobble or redstone, I dropped 21 stacks of cobble, 3 stacks of stone stairs, and 4 stacks of redstone off there tonight.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:03 am UTC

Y'know what? I'm going to clean up under the comic. If anyone wants to use it as the UN, speak up. Else I'm using it as a super-secret base.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:38 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:...and this is why you don't lay cobble down when drunk. (gana I will clean this is up later)

Spoiler:
2011-11-17_19.44.44.png

Trust me, I've done worse.

And I can't drink yet.

It's depressing.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:32 am UTC

Steax wrote:The problem with the communarium is difficulty in getting resources there, since we're all so far apart. I'm sure we're all more than happy to share stuff we're not using, but it's just a pain to get them there. I'm experimenting with freight trains (which you follow along on to load chunks) to see how practical a freight rail might be.
How about a 'mail train' type method, where freight is shipped incidentally along when people travel through the rail system. Whenever you go on a train journey, a parallel freight cart is sent from your station to your destination, thus going through the same chunks as you. Eventually, the carts would move from the outside to the centre.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

Steax and I built this park tonight. I like it. And now I am going to sleep.
Spoiler:
2011-11-18_04.56.39.png
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

Just to make sure, lava can't light things on fire right? Cause I was gonna make my flag out of iron, diamond, TNT, and lava. I think it'd be quite fitting.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

Playing 1.8 smp I've been set on fire standing near obsidian surrounded lava. So, you could rely on there being no ignition, but I'd be ready to be surprised if I were you.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

I can't remember if one of the mods turns off lavafire or not.

So just test it. Put some lava on some wood in a safe environment and see what happens.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

Release is sometime between 1300 and 1430 PST today. That makes it between 1600 and 1730 EST and between 2100 and 2230 UTC. :D
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:33 pm UTC

I dont remember if i have done it in 1.8 but I know in 1.7 lava would light tnt. There was a yogcast episode where simon made a tnt bridge(cant end well) near a lava waterfall... it didnt end well.
They call me Mr. Piman

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:34 pm UTC

I've done plenty of playing with lava on this server. Lava does not set things on fire. This disappointed me greatly when I found out.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:I've done plenty of playing with lava on this server. Lava does not set things on fire. This disappointed me greatly when I found out.

You have no idea how angry when I found out it did, through water. Though, I suppose this means I can redo the promenade for Castle Clavey. The fountain is still awesome though.

I suppose this means I'll spend my time tonight while the girl is at the woman's party still working on Chaucer instead of making the pens for the animals.

We want a large amount of pigs, right? Or would we want an expanded chicken yard? This is relevant information to Narnia Peasant Corp. They will be the largest distributor of farm products nearest the spawn. Hence, congratulations, to all of those without Narnia peerages (Read--most of you), congratulations on being promoted to Peasants! :)

Also, Scallel, I'm promoting you to Duke of the Bombing Range.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

Wait, seriously? It does? It definitely did not cause any damage to any of the trees that it was flowing over for several weeks in my area. Nor did it light the tower of wooden planks that I had built and placed it on.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Wait, seriously? It does? It definitely did not cause any damage to any of the trees that it was flowing over for several weeks in my area. Nor did it light the tower of wooden planks that I had built and placed it on.
Long ago, before the whitelist, lava would burn things. If I'd been smart, I'd have used it to burn my forests *then*. Anyway now it does not ignite anything. I test it periodically by building a wooden/wool/leaf dish and filling it with a lava fountain. Nothing.

In other news, I tried luring a zombie into a box made of glowstone. The zombie didn't burn. Sad.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

I'm browsing r/minecraft and most of the posts today are about minecon... I envy those who got the chance to go.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:24 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:Wait, seriously? It does? It definitely did not cause any damage to any of the trees that it was flowing over for several weeks in my area. Nor did it light the tower of wooden planks that I had built and placed it on.
Long ago, before the whitelist, lava would burn things. If I'd been smart, I'd have used it to burn my forests *then*. Anyway now it does not ignite anything. I test it periodically by building a wooden/wool/leaf dish and filling it with a lava fountain. Nothing.

In other news, I tried luring a zombie into a box made of glowstone. The zombie didn't burn. Sad.

Yes, lava ignition has been disabled.

No, I will not turn it back on, nor will I support turning it back on. Shit's annoying, yo.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:05 pm UTC

Minecraft 1.0 is OUT!

Update your client!

Now to wait for Bukkit to update...
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

...wow.

It's been a journey, but we're finally here.

I know I haven't been all that grateful of the changes made to MineCraft from 1.8 onwards, but loading it up and hearing that new music... I tore up a little. It's over. The end. It feels so, so weird.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 pm UTC

what now? I don't want to play single player, when is the server gonna be updated?

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

Figures the day that the game I've been waiting a year on comes out and I'm stuck at work. Not even getting paid. Grr. Though I would also like to ask the same question, when shall the server be up? Aka when can I set up an enchantment table? Also when are we all going to go on our little trip to the End? As soon as I get one blaze powder I have enough ender pearls to show the way to the fortress. The rest would simply entail a few brave souls, or one crazy snowman summoner, farming the blazes till I told them how much I would need to open the portal. Then we just beg one of the OPs to teleport them to me so that we could open a portal and slay the dragon!!! Btw I will be taking this entirely seriously, aka three columns of TNT, two of arrows, full diamond armor for all Involved, my gift, diamond tools, even a hoe, along with obsidian, flint and tender, and about two stacks of bread. And if someone would be as amazing to brew potions to help us on our quest, I would gladly pay for them.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 am UTC

I am with you all the way Scal. I can also provide basic necessities, food, and shelter if necessary. I would just need some time to learn the potion recipes and their effects. I will also take this quest seriously and arm my self with diamond sword, armor, bow etc.

Gatchaman

Postby Gatchaman » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:22 am UTC

Exploring the full version in single player! Not found much yet. These are some things I've noticed:

New fall sounds sound really painful! =S
Exp makes sound as you pick them up/ your bar fills.
Bows deteriorate (new?),
Endermen sound like they're speaking gibberish to eachother (more cute than creepy), and their teleport sounds like a hydrogen test *pop*!
Wolves also go dark when they get wet (in the rain or in water), then 'shake it off' and go back to being grey! ^_^

Mini Blag:
Spoiler:
Report as of now: I decided to load up my 'main' world, and go exploring: I wandered off into the distance, finding a pack of wolves and taming 2 to help me survive! I didn't plan very well, I had no food or tools (Just a sword and a bow- a handful of arrows), some bones from a couple of skeletons and other assorted things.
Survived through the night by hunting pigs and evading most monsters! I managed to find some mushrooms to save for later.
Only interesting thing I've found has been a dungeon at ground level! Not sure if this has happened before, but it was covered in sand- I only noticed it because I was investigating the cobblestone- I felt like an archaeologist! ^_^ I managed to find some chests which contained 2 buckets, some bread, redstone dust and gunpowder (not enough for TNT).
Continuing on in the hopes of finding somewhere cool to settle! I like to make bases in the wilderness, then try and connect them back up to the rest of my homes.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:49 am UTC

Great, now I have to deal with that shit...

Also, my kingdom for some wd40.

Seriously, you can have Narnia for wd40 that makes those sounds never happen again. And I mean you have to provide proof that you forced Notch to change them.

Also, server usually updates after a bit when they put out the actual stable server version.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:25 am UTC

[quote="Gatchaman"New fall sounds sound really painful! =S
Exp makes sound as you pick them up/ your bar fills.
Bows deteriorate (new?),
Endermen sound like they're speaking gibberish to eachother (more cute than creepy), and their teleport sounds like a hydrogen test *pop*!
Wolves also go dark when they get wet (in the rain or in water), then 'shake it off' and go back to being grey! ^_^[/quote]
Few comments:
Minecraft is really scaring me now. Not because of danger. But because the eating sound sounds like something you would hear from this guy, and the item break sound is just damn startling. Arrows hitting walls made me jump the first time I heard it too.
XP always made a sound, but it was just a lower-pitched version of the "pop" that item pickups made.
And wolves have always gone black when in water.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:54 am UTC

I'm fairly confident in my potion skills, but the first thing we need is an expedition out to the nearest nether stronghold. If we needed a server project, this would be it. Need some people building the walkway/railway to spawn, others setting up defenses, lighting, finding blaze spawners and setting up nether wart farms, etc.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:55 am UTC

I shall join forces with you, scallel, to slay the oppressive beast.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:09 am UTC

BRB, gotta check what Manifest Destiny says about alternate dimensions.

Alright, I'm game.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:18 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:BRB, gotta check what Manifest Destiny says about alternate dimensions.

Alright, I'm game.

The kingdom of Narnia shall Morgan Freeman this non-sexist or racist pejorative.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:21 am UTC

Lets slay the dragonnnnn! I have the liberty of time :) Notch is like a fucking rockstar now 8)
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:24 am UTC

Sun - Minecraft Wiki.png

I hate how minecraft tends to give extremely ambiguous explanations, even on the wiki and forums. Is it the orientation definition that changes, or the actual direction of world/sky rotation? AAAARRRGGHHH

Also, I haven't got a clue on how the experience system works.

So it starts by explaining exp orbs... then experience levels... and then it says "Experience is now Enchantments". So how does that work? Does the Experience system still work? The wiki should stop supporting legacy content. Nobody cares how things worked in 1.9r3 or whatever.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:31 am UTC

microwave burritos, hot pockets and mountain dew should keep me up tonight, I just found the stronghold on single player.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:59 am UTC

Apparently redstone got changed, as well. From what I've heard, one-block segments of redstone wire no longer connect to anything. I'm not sure if it's entirely true or not, since I haven't updated yet, but just an FYI to those of you with redstone projects.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Steax: If I understand it correctly, each type of mob is worth a fixed amount of XP, which is then randomly distributed to a number of orbs. Each orb can be a different number of points.

Each level takes more XP than the last one. But Enchanting costs levels, not XP. Therefore if you decide "I want to spend x levels on one enchantment" it is best to do that when you are exactly level x. If you are of higher level it will consume more XP.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:41 am UTC

Xerillum wrote:Apparently redstone got changed, as well. From what I've heard, one-block segments of redstone wire no longer connect to anything. I'm not sure if it's entirely true or not, since I haven't updated yet, but just an FYI to those of you with redstone projects.

Off the bat, this:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/mhf54/minecraft_100_changelog/c30xsmt wrote:New rules on redstone causing some old redstone wiring to alter its function. For example, several sets of double doors of mine are no longer working. The double doors have frozen with one door open and one closed. One set still works, probably because it was based off a different design. (I feel sorry for those people who built entire CPU's)

The Scyphozoa wrote:Steax: If I understand it correctly, each type of mob is worth a fixed amount of XP, which is then randomly distributed to a number of orbs. Each orb can be a different number of points.

Each level takes more XP than the last one. But Enchanting costs levels, not XP. Therefore if you decide "I want to spend x levels on one enchantment" it is best to do that when you are exactly level x. If you are of higher level it will consume more XP.

So "experience" is basically a meter to get a single "unit" of something, and you use n "units" to enchant. Is that so? Quite a strange use of the term 'level'.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:54 am UTC

In a manner of speaking, yes. I don't know why they're called levels.

But what I really don't understand is why Notch and Jeb_ decided to make such a complicated system. Not that it's hard to understand, but it's something that you can't just "collect and consume" without putting in some forethought as to how much to collect before consuming. And if you collect too much you're actually missing out.

In fact it encourages people to bring an enchanting table to the End, and try to avoid picking up XP orbs from the dragon. Everything else in Minecraft is pretty straightforward.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:07 am UTC

As in, why not just let the orbs be items, and you use the items when enchanting? New players will be so confused about the term 'levels'. Especially as competitive players come and think that higher levels = better.

Return to “Gaming”