Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tHe_kiiD

Re: Minecraft

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 am UTC

who is the one responsible for all the chicken roaming the farm fields under rirez city? I log off for a few hours and when i log back in i find the chicken farm infested with this annoying creatures, I also noticed that rirez had to fence off the wheat farm. not cool...

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:06 pm UTC

Hey kid, using the chicken farm method, I realise that the chickens started to kill each other in the cage once there are more than three.... i m not sure how to solve it...
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:15 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:who is the one responsible for all the chicken roaming the farm fields under rirez city? I log off for a few hours and when i log back in i find the chicken farm infested with this annoying creatures, I also noticed that rirez had to fence off the wheat farm. not cool...

I'm thinking it's because the server's been doubling them when it crashed. It's very odd. I've had rampages around with bows, but nothing.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:Hey kid, using the chicken farm method, I realise that the chickens started to kill each other in the cage once there are more than three.... i m not sure how to solve it...

This is because they push each other into the walls, and they drown. You can use glass walls or fences to solve this, or use my water trap method.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:01 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:Hey kid, using the chicken farm method, I realise that the chickens started to kill each other in the cage once there are more than three.... i m not sure how to solve it...

thats why I used glass walls, they push eachother into the walls and drown. where are you? I can help you with the basic setup.

Feylias

Relevant to all mob grinders.

Postby Feylias » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

I was talking about this on the ST server during slime grinder testing, but I don't think I posted this youtube video before. This is relevant to where mobs spawn and why they'll reach and stay at the mob cap, sometimes.
Spoiler:
Briefly (I suggest skipping to 8 or 11 minutes if you've ever felt "tl;dw" about videos), just outside of the ring of active chunks there's a 20m ringed area where monsters will spawn/get trapped if they wander there.

As I understand it, the game attempts to (at least in 1.81) spawn groups of mobs in all active chunks, and if said group is near the edge it can overlap to the inactive chunks...for about 20m. ...and anything in inactive chunks counts toward the mob cap but doesn't despawn or move.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

The other side of the story:

Spoiler:
We're sure many of you have seen or heard about Notch's post-Minecon tweets, which were not what we expected to see when we got off the plane from Minecon - we've had a sleep now and recovered a bit, so this is our response:
We are very disappointed by these tweets from someone we admire and respect. We can understand that it was the morning after the deadmau5 party and Notch was very tired, but we are still fairly upset. The quotes and actions that Notch attributed to us were not said by us or published anywhere by us. Therefore we are surprised and confused about where this stuff has come from - especially since the only time we spoke to Notch was at the interview.
Regarding dropping f-bombs at the show - we apologise for this, but had rehearsed the whole show in front of the organisers and half of Mojang and they had approved it. We were given no guidelines or oversight in the weeks leading up to Minecon and there were ample opportunities at the rehearsal for Mojang to inform us of problems, such as being careful about swearing, which is pretty common in our youtube videos.
Out of all the tweets that Notch sent out, most hurtful was the accusation that we told a kid to "fuck off" and crossed out another signature - which is something we would never ever do.
We loved spending time with fans and were overwhelmed by how many people were there to support us and give us gifts. Simon has enough Jaffas to last him until the middle of 2012. The problem was that Minecon is a new show and organisation was pretty bad, and when we came to the scheduled signing sessions, nothing had been set up for us and we had to scrabble around to fetch tables, ropes and pens ourselves. With some younger kids around, it was our priority to make sure everything was safe, as we have seen injuries in the past.
This lack of organization contributed to long and confused lines and we were heartbroken to have to turn away so many people when we ran out of time. Simon can only handle a certain amount of time between cups of coffee and nicotine tablets before collapsing, but we made a real effort to get out there and managed to do about six hours of signing. Although we were frustrated, we would never have treated fans in the way that Notch suggested we did.
We were also unhappy and surprised that a week before Minecon, Mojang informed us that they had sold the rights to livestream our show and content to IGN - they hadn't asked us, they hadn't spoken to us - they just sold it. Because of this, we nearly cancelled the trip, but decided to say "balls to it" and come anyway, because we felt we owed it to the fans. Hannah actually spoke with IGN directly earlier, and they agreed to take their video down and let us put the videos up on our channel, so a big thanks to them for that.
We were not paid, and never demanded to be paid. We asked for some support, and Mojang said they could offer us two hotel rooms for the duration of the stay and a small boardroom to rest in. We spent a huge amount of money on flights, rooms, food and equipment for the 10 people that we brought along to support us, act as security, make videos/posts and generally help out. We also gave away 100 special t-shirts for free.
The reason we came to Minecon is because we wanted to thank you guys and meet the community that we love and are a part of. We couldn't have gotten to where we are now without you guys, and so we decided to eat the costs of attending and just have fun. This is why we spent our panel giving a voice to loads of talented people that couldn't attend but have made Minecraft what it is today.
We're not gonna stop making videos, not going to stop loving you guys, and hopefully we'll see you at more gaming conventions in the future.
Lewis & Simon & Hannah

I'm not really sure who to believe, they're both very one-sided accounts.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:43 pm UTC

I think I'm believing Yogscast. Why? Mostly because of this:

notch wrote:Hey, @yogscast! I'm sorry about being a dick.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

clockworkfaerie wrote:@notch ...Stress misunderstanding? Dude, you outright fucking *lied* about what they said. Don't you dare pull that BS.

notch wrote:@clockworkfaerie I did not lie.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:I was talking about this on the ST server during slime grinder testing, but I don't think I posted this youtube video before. This is relevant to where mobs spawn and why they'll reach and stay at the mob cap, sometimes.
Spoiler:
Briefly (I suggest skipping to 8 or 11 minutes if you've ever felt "tl;dw" about videos), just outside of the ring of active chunks there's a 20m ringed area where monsters will spawn/get trapped if they wander there.

As I understand it, the game attempts to (at least in 1.81) spawn groups of mobs in all active chunks, and if said group is near the edge it can overlap to the inactive chunks...for about 20m. ...and anything in inactive chunks counts toward the mob cap but doesn't despawn or move.

Off to light up a huge perimeter, then. Oh god.

We did get slimes though. It makes some sense - when we moved far out enough, the bugged mobs started vanishing.

#notch vs yogscast:

With further stuff like this:

We found it hard working with Yogscast, but we regret that this was aired publicly. We will now sort this out with them directly.

It looks obvious. One side is explaining patiently (with other people backing them up), and the other is all apologizing and acting stiff.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

People will back them up no matter what happened, because people like Yogscast videos. I don't like Yogscast videos and I already know never to take anything Notch says seriously, so I don't care what happened.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:00 pm UTC

Great zombie Jesus on a pogo stick I'm going through server withdrawal! SO I decided to start up a single player game, hardcore no less, and as soon as I went swimming i found a ravine. But wait, there's more! There were four ravines... They'd all intersected each other at random points. Julie, was the seed I used.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:24 am UTC

Though I'm sure I'm just ignorant, what's up with the animosity towards notch? That is, what's he done before that I'm apparently unaware of?
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:04 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Though I'm sure I'm just ignorant, what's up with the animosity towards notch? That is, what's he done before that I'm apparently unaware of?

He's done a lot of things that are basically "I have the final word, shut up". There's often a lot of pro-Notch-ness support in each case, but all in all most people kind of lost faith in him. A recent one would be the shape of the sun/moon (after a vote, he basically says "I get to pick, screw the votes!" even though Mojang later gives in).

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:32 am UTC

And I think he's just a bad designer.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:02 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:

thats why I used glass walls, they push eachother into the walls and drown. where are you? I can help you with the basic setup.

The funny thing is.... I used glass walls... ok, ill move the glowstone. If you want to see, its on the ground floor of the tall building next to the central railway station.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:38 am UTC

A cacti auto-farmer can cause pains... but if you make it using pistons and set up so that a block beside it gets pushed up, you get a semi-automatic cacti farm that gives you all the drops. similar thing can be done for reeds, but the block needs to be pushed from the wall.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:54 am UTC

Steax wrote:
e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Though I'm sure I'm just ignorant, what's up with the animosity towards notch? That is, what's he done before that I'm apparently unaware of?

He's done a lot of things that are basically "I have the final word, shut up". There's often a lot of pro-Notch-ness support in each case, but all in all most people kind of lost faith in him. A recent one would be the shape of the sun/moon (after a vote, he basically says "I get to pick, screw the votes!" even though Mojang later gives in).

Ah, alright. I see what you mean.

I'm mostly just annoyed that they don't bother doing proper bug testing. And then when the bugs are found almost immediately they're response is basically "lol, oops, guess we'll have to fix those eventually. It's just a beta though, so it's okay, right? Er.. it's not a beta any more, and over 4 million copies of the game have been sold, and we're now charging more for the game, but... it's still okay, right?"

(Avatar by Sungura)

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:39 am UTC

Also, he makes a lot of promises, but doesn't follow through. For example, zombie siege mode, CTF mode, lanterns, a modding API, etc.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:43 am UTC

Especially the modding API. He must be well aware that modding keeps the game alive. When you see a game with mods that act as APIs/frameworks for other mods, and the developer is an indie (and supposedly 'open') company, you know something is wrong.

Then, when people asked about mod support in 1.0, they said something like "whoops, sorry, we forgot about that. We do have cool dragons, though!"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:30 am UTC

It really is a matter of priorities, and they don't really have theirs in order. There's quite a few mods I'd love to play, but I don't want to deal with installing and uninstalling them.

And design wise, the enchanting mechanism could have used a real think through. The higher "level" you are the more it costs to do an enchantment.

And, one of the things they never really seemed to consider was how people are actually playing the game.

Also, seriously Season of the Witch writers, the "City of Villach"? Did you write the end for notch as well?

And if they charge for any future updates that are simply bug fixes, people should raze and pillage Sweden. I fear he's probably going to do that, not realizing some things are functionality and bug issues that needed to be in the final release and not actual updates.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:06 am UTC

If you check the wiki, there are hundreds of places that say "notch tweeted that he would add ____ in the future". Everywhere.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:14 pm UTC

Ack, the obsidian portal I made at my base comes out at Castle Clavey... That's annoying. Don't have a diamond pick yet either, to destroy it :/

Edit: Oh god, sorry - I have this habit of AFKing by accident, and with no one else on the server that means I can be in dangerous positions at night... I was standing on the comic, and zoned out, before randomly hearing a creeper and seeing the underside :(

I'll try to fix it.

Edit 2: Haha, he got headshot :P

Edit 3: Ack, I need a lot of snow for this... 27 blocks...

Edit 4: fix'd

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

Thanks to the hard work of many, the farming complex just south of Cookie Kingdom/Sky Collective has passed the prototype phase - most of what will be built has been, at least in small scale. This means anyone on the server can easily obtain access to:
- Sugar cane (and paper and books)
- Eggs
- Slimeballs
- Cactus
- Wheat
- Melons/pumpkins (unusable at the moment)

All of the above are AFK-friendly except wheat and slimes. Slimes still need to be battled by hand. Wheat needs to be replanted manually, but will flush automatically. Pumpkin/melons will be maintenance-free, but are currently small prototypes until we make sure it still works in 1.0.

Credit for all this goes to meem (especially him - he created a magnificent upwards item elevator, more on that later), bonaparte, kid, xeril, gana (stuff!) and piman. Any others who may have come by and helped, thank you too!

Soon, anyone will be able to flip a switch and afk on the walkway, where the machine will feed them a mix of these items. Combined with a mob spawner, this could really be the perfect AFK spot.

We are, however, running low on some resources (namely, redstone and iron). Many of our contraptions are extremely intensive, so we'd appreciate donations! Anyone is, of course, free to take reasonably from the chests at the farm.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:14 am UTC

Sir, I should be able to help you with that portal issue. Your base can't be that close to mine, so it's just a matter of building portals where they need to be. Alas, I won't be back till Monday, but what are the topside coords of where you want the portal to exist?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:42 am UTC

Don't worry, jaho, Monkey told me what to do. It works now :D

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:14 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Ack, the obsidian portal I made at my base comes out at Castle Clavey... That's annoying. Don't have a diamond pick yet either, to destroy it :/

Edit: Oh god, sorry - I have this habit of AFKing by accident, and with no one else on the server that means I can be in dangerous positions at night... I was standing on the comic, and zoned out, before randomly hearing a creeper and seeing the underside :(

I'll try to fix it.

See, this is PRECISELY why I upgraded to obsidian last month. :lol:

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:24 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:Ack, the obsidian portal I made at my base comes out at Castle Clavey... That's annoying. Don't have a diamond pick yet either, to destroy it :/

I'll try to fix it.

This is precisely why you need to light the thing up. I tire of having itinerant zombies and creepers making their way onto Narnian territory. Don't make me invoke the Bush doctrine! Those who would harbor mobs are enemies of Dictatocracy and Freeservitutude to the state.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:10 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:

I'll try to fix it.

This is precisely why you need to light the thing up. I tire of having itinerant zombies and creepers making their way onto Narnian territory. Don't make me invoke the Bush doctrine! Those who would harbor mobs are enemies of Dictatocracy and Freeservitutude to the state.

I see your bush Doctrine and raise you one Roosevelt Corollary. You autocratic kids keep your dirty hands off my lawn!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:

I'll try to fix it.

I see your bush Doctrine and raise you one Roosevelt Corollary. You autocratic kids keep your dirty hands off my lawn!

The Anglo-Zanzibar War will seem like a lengthy endeavor compared with how quickly Narnia shall achieve victory.

Seriously, I think I could get in, drop the torches, and be out in under 38 minutes.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:44 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:

I'll try to fix it.

The Anglo-Zanzibar War will seem like a lengthy endeavor compared with how quickly Narnia shall achieve victory.

Seriously, I think I could get in, drop the torches, and be out in under 38 minutes.

Bah, only because I'll have won the Medal of Honor in the first five minutes and moved on to nabbing a Nobel Peace Prize on the side.

But torches would mess up the aesthetic!

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:16 am UTC

A simple clock that I just learned, that can be turned on or off by adding redstone current and that moves pretty quickly. Adding this here because it took me forever to recreate from memory.
Attachments
Small stable clock.png
Small stable clock.png (98.3 KiB) Viewed 5197 times

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:03 am UTC

Feylias wrote:A simple clock that I just learned, that can be turned on or off by adding redstone current and that moves pretty quickly. Adding this here because it took me forever to recreate from memory.

How stable is that compared to say, a four piston clock?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

Kain wrote:How stable is that compared to say, a four piston clock?

Not very. I saw, once, an extremely stable clock that depended on a minecart, powered rails, and a detector rail. I'll try to find that and experiment with it in SMP soon.

My goal was to make a space-efficient clock that could be started with one button and stopped with another.
Spoiler:
Two-button clock.png
This is the same clock; there is a redstone torch beneath the dirt the piston is moving. The two gravel blocks with signs have buttons; one button stops the clock and the other starts it.
This is the best I could do. If you log out and in when it is running it sometimes stops, no matter what the repeater is set at. Also, it won't work at all if the repeater is set to the fastest setting.
The most stable clock I've found that doesn't use pistons (because silence is golden) is not dependable all the time, and doesn't actually keep steady 'time' or maintain a small footprint, but so far works even if you log out and back in and is compatible with the button-pressing:
Spoiler:
5-inverter clock.png
The piston it is operating is just to prove it can take a load. I could easily work this into the button-start/stop system I had on the other clock instead of using the piston to break the power chain, so this arguably uses no pistons at all.
Since the Jenny uses a four-piston clock, I have a lot of experience with the stability of four pistons, and it's what I'd stick with when noise, aesthetics, resources, and space are all not an issue. ^_^

I'm a beginning redstoner; I still refer to my favorite two tutorials for it (they predate pistons), and I often don't understand parts of those, even. Here they are:
Spoiler:
Redstone tutorial map from this thread on Minecraft Forums.
Also, Pinkstone 101 and 102 AKA Redstone for Dummies.

I prefer the former, but the latter had a lot of information in it that I didn't get from the former. ...be sure to put yourself on peaceful when taking the latter ones. ^_^

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:51 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Bah, only because I'll have won the Medal of Honor in the first five minutes and moved on to nabbing a Nobel Peace Prize on the side.

But torches would mess up the aesthetic!

Well then I see your lack of torches and will raise you a security fence.

Also, I wonder just how much the price of these components will drop by the time I get around to building a computer for my birthday. Finally realized that my parents do want me to figure out what I want for Christmas and birthday presents and that about the only thing I conceivably need is to replace a nearly 10 year old computer. So, let's see, minecraft clearly requires an i7 core with 16gb ram. :roll:

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:26 pm UTC

Buildcraft sure does...
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:37 pm UTC

OK. I have a pretty unimportant question, but it's been bugging me for ages.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37294115/map.ht ... -85&zoom=2

That's my castle on the map. If you look down from that, you can see 3 cobble & glass towers.

My question is: Does anyone know who made them? They're right next door to me, and it feels really weird not knowing. It looks old and abandoned...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

It's between the original construction of Narnia and my return to Narnia. However, if you turn on the people option, there is a guy there, but it won't let me see the name. Otherwise, I could probably tell ya.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Can mods be stealth-placed by ops? (I mean with no part on users?)

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Unfortunately, that's a client mod. Unless spoutcraft is in use, it won't work. There are lots of server plugins though that can be added without users' knowledge.

Speaking of server plugins, I've been thinking about something that would add more blocks while allowing a vanilla client. Take this example. Say you want a redstone block. crafted with nine redstone, looks like a lapis block only red, that sort of thing. The client tells the server if it has the necessary mod, and the server sends the true block. If it doesn't send anything, the server sends a replacement. In this case, red wool. It would work for crafting too, and it wouldn't allow players to just turn their redstone into wool. The recipe would only work if the client sent the right identifiers. You couldn't have radically different blocks, but anything that acts like existing blocks could be done.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Return to “Gaming”