Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 am UTC

Also, make them literature questions. Middle English if you must; I got that shit.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Steax wrote:
blalobw wrote:Strongholds are still limited to three per world, at least according to the minecraftwiki. Our options for an end portal are regenerating the chunks in the portal location we know about (so if there's stuff you're not done looting now's the time to finish up) or placing it somewhere else, perhaps at the end of Roosevelt's "I Want To Be Steve" game.

Alternatively we could let MrMonkey make one and hide it somewhere and generate a few dozen of his famous nearly insoluable clues to its location.

We could also generate a stronghold in another world and copy-paste it into Talon's at some random location for you to discover.

Any other ideas? What does everyone think would be the most fun?


But please give us some netherwart in some way or another. Everyone's really excited about potions.


Oh, nether fortresses should be plentiful (and therefore we should have no problems with nether warts). I intend to find a fortress as soon as possible, with the goals of getting some nether wart and blaze rods back to spawn. I imagine I am not the only one with these goals.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:00 am UTC

I'm unavailable on the 14th, 15th, and 17th, and probably the 23rd-25th because of Christmas jubilations. Other than that, I'm open.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Steax wrote:
blalobw wrote:Strongholds are still limited to three per world, at least according to the minecraftwiki. Our options for an end portal are regenerating the chunks in the portal location we know about (so if there's stuff you're not done looting now's the time to finish up) or placing it somewhere else, perhaps at the end of Roosevelt's "I Want To Be Steve" game.

Alternatively we could let MrMonkey make one and hide it somewhere and generate a few dozen of his famous nearly insoluable clues to its location.

We could also generate a stronghold in another world and copy-paste it into Talon's at some random location for you to discover.

Any other ideas? What does everyone think would be the most fun?


But please give us some netherwart in some way or another. Everyone's really excited about potions.


Oh, nether fortresses should be plentiful (and therefore we should have no problems with nether warts). I intend to find a fortress as soon as possible, with the goals of getting some nether wart and blaze rods back to spawn. I imagine I am not the only one with these goals.


I... I should stop getting drunk on sushi. I mixed up strongholds and nether fortresses.

I'll go hide now.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am UTC

blalobw wrote:Strongholds are still limited to three per world, at least according to the minecraftwiki. Our options for an end portal are regenerating the chunks in the portal location we know about (so if there's stuff you're not done looting now's the time to finish up) or placing it somewhere else, perhaps at the end of Roosevelt's "I Want To Be Steve" game.

Alternatively we could let MrMonkey make one and hide it somewhere and generate a few dozen of his famous nearly insoluable clues to its location.

We could also generate a stronghold in another world and copy-paste it into Talon's at some random location for you to discover.

Any other ideas? What does everyone think would be the most fun?


Yes, with my platforming mastery and Monkey's puzzle genius... He. He. Hehehehe HAHAHAHAH MWAHAHAHAHA! :twisted:

User avatar
bluejello
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby bluejello » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:51 pm UTC

Netherwart might need light to grow in the server, has the map been MCedited before? Saw a video by vechs showing a bug that if the nether is MCedited the light level calculations are either messed up or the light level required for things to grow is changed. This would explain why the mushrooms pop out of the ground when one is hit, in the nether. Once I get a nether wart I can become a source of them.
Strongholds- it is still only three per world according to what I understand of the code I saw, but it should be modable to make more... just need to find a bukkit mod that does that. I also wonder how well a transport system using the end would turn out, since the portal out teleports you to your home, and the dragon does not re-spawn... great, now I want to make a home in the end for some reason. that would be entertaining, but painful to get to unless I make a bed by a end portal...
Wait, apparently nethergates CAN be made in the end or Can,t depending on what part of the wiki you go with...
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

As I understand it a nether portal can be hacked into the end by an op, but it will be one-way into the real world.

And if folks really want it we should be able to respawn the enderdragon.

User avatar
tHe_kiiD
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:41 am UTC
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Minecraft

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:As I understand it a nether portal can be hacked into the end by an op, but it will be one-way into the real world.

And if folks really want it we should be able to respawn the enderdragon.



I say you secretly spawn a Dragon in Mordor, but don't tell anyone. :twisted:

User avatar
_infina_
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 pm UTC
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:
blalobw wrote:As I understand it a nether portal can be hacked into the end by an op, but it will be one-way into the real world.

And if folks really want it we should be able to respawn the enderdragon.



I say you secretly spawn a Dragon in Mordor, but don't tell anyone. :twisted:

How do you know it hasn't happened already?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:12 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:I say you secretly spawn a Dragon in Mordor, but don't tell anyone.
But it would... it would clip through my sky and make holes!

I did do many experiments, months ago, to see whether I could legitimately get ghasts to spawn there. Alas, the option is disabled.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
tHe_kiiD wrote:I say you secretly spawn a Dragon in Mordor, but don't tell anyone.
But it would... it would clip through my sky and make holes!

I did do many experiments, months ago, to see whether I could legitimately get ghasts to spawn there. Alas, the option is disabled.


No. Just, no. Have you played Nightmare Realm yet? Ghasts (and delayed lava flows) are evil.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
Kick
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kick » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:44 am UTC

Alright, I haven't played Minecraft in a couple months so I started it up again when I saw this thread thinking I would get back into it. I updated the game, and entered the server info, but I cannot connect. It tells me "Outdated server!" I know it's working though as it shows 2/20 online and a decent connection strength.

So, what do I have to do to get online?

EDIT: I'm quite stupid sometimes, haven't had any caffeine today so I'll use that as an excuse. Anyway, I probably need to be whitelisted/whatever, so I've PMed the person the OP said to PM and hopefully that solves this.

While I'm waiting to hear back, can someone explain the difference between the two servers (if there is one)?
I'm never sarcastic.

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 am UTC

So there are currently 3 active servers on my server list.

There's ST's server, the one with the tectonius map. A lot of stuff happens here, and when people don't say "x server", they usually mean this one. You need whitelisting - PM roos, bla, or monkey. If you're not in the US or europe, there might need to be further whitelisting (your location says PA, which is fine, but just in case someone later finds this post). This requires minecraft 1.8.1, which is likely why you're getting the "outdated server" message. You will need to get a 1.8 jar, or you can wait a while until the server is updated - possibly within the next few weeks (but don't quote me on that, I'm not an op).

Psion's server is more quiet, and is closer to "creative" - you don't lose items on death, for one thing. Many of us have sub-projects going on there, but it's not as active as ST's. Last I checked, this is also on 1.8.1, and requires no whitelisting.

Then there's You-Sir-Name's server, or as I call it, the You,Server,Name? server. This one is already on 1.0, and does not require whitelisting.

The server to be on is ST's. If you can, find a way to backdate your Minecraft install (if you played with mods, you might have a backup of 1.8 lying around somewhere). ST's server generally has 2 or more people active at any one time, and there are lots of things to see and do.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 am UTC

Kick wrote:While I'm waiting to hear back, can someone explain the difference between the two servers (if there is one)?


Psion's: No whitelist. New map generated for 1.81, which it is still on. We don't know whether the map will be reset again. Hard mode, to include starvation, but when you die your inventory stays in your possession. Very stable. No /commands implemented. Usually uncrowded, but we've got stuff on there for when we're in a noodling-around mood. The byline for it says "increasingly hard" and I remember that when I first got on after the map reset it was on medium difficulty. From this, I predict that Psion will eventually introduce an ULTRA-hard mode that involves the random spawning of charged creepers, mobs with improved pathfinding ability, zombies that can break through dirt and wood objects, lightning that targets the player, and stone-based blocks having a random chance of containing silverfish.
And Volcanoes.

Talon's: Whitelist. Still on 1.81 also. Hard mode, and vanilla except that you can chat the phrase "settime 0" to make it morning (oversimplified). Pretty darn active, but if you log on during the wee hours you may find yourself alone. Very developed; the map is so old even the Great Old Ones, when they log on, can remember (in between remarking about the damn kids on their lawn) greater and older ones.
It seems likely that this map and all its wonderful long long history will abide for ever. Yay!

YouSirName's: I don't KNOW! Because, see, it's 1.0.0, and I haven't updated yet because I'm married to my project on Talon's. I hear he's installing random mods, and he's on Medium difficulty and a new map. He talked idly about installing a mod that makes all bedrock into diamond ore, but I may be making that up.

Infina's server: They have ice cream, and you can log in even if you're still on 1.81. I've never seen anyone on there, but I've only been on there for moments at a time, because unless you have Spoutcraft installed you get booted, and installation of Spoutcraft on a Mac is nontrivial. They got a new map recently, so all the awesome weirdness I've heard stories about (Lightning rods? Wands? Horcruxes?) are for users slightly more free (as in destitute) than I, and are probably things of the past?

Scallel's server: Nothing but bedrock as far as you can travel in every direction. When you travel in search of some unexploded terrain? It starts raining, and the rain is activated TNT. I don't know why someone would even HAVE such a server. ...oh, and begonias. <shrug> This server is down 114% of the time, because igniting huge structures made by worldediting everything into explosives is hard on the processor.

Hope that helps!

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:19 am UTC

God damn kids! GET OFF MAH LAWN!

User avatar
Kick
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:24 am UTC
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kick » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:22 am UTC

Alright, thanks for the information.

Where / how could I got about getting 1.8 running to join what appears to be the main server? Or, what is the IP for the server running 1.0.0?
I'm never sarcastic.

User avatar
Magnanimous
Madmanananimous
Posts: 3491
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:11 pm UTC
Location: Land of Hipsters and Rain (LOHAR)

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:31 am UTC

Just a suggestion: Can we turn psion's or YSN's server into a custom map instead of just a seed? Something like this or a survival island would be kind of fun with a lot of people, imo.

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:45 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Just a suggestion: Can we turn psion's or YSN's server into a custom map instead of just a seed? Something like this or a survival island would be kind of fun with a lot of people, imo.
I suppose I could use this opportunity to shill for my server, as well, which is running a fairly vanilla install of 1.0.0 with an easy SMP, survival island themed map (although spawn is a little developed, and it's fairly easy to get to a larger landmass if you want to). You can take a look at the tectonicus map if you'd like, or hop on at 173.245.73.13 (currently no whitelist).

I don't know how well it will handle a lot of people at once, mind, although it should be getting a boost on that front in the next couple days anyways.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
_infina_
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 pm UTC
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:47 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Infina's server: They have ice cream, and you can log in even if you're still on 1.81. I've never seen anyone on there, but I've only been on there for moments at a time, because unless you have Spoutcraft installed you get booted, and installation of Spoutcraft on a Mac is nontrivial. They got a new map recently, so all the awesome weirdness I've heard stories about (Lightning rods? Wands? Horcruxes?) are for users slightly more free (as in destitute) than I, and are probably things of the past?

We are up to 1.0.0/1.0.1 as of this morning.I may be doing a cron job c10t map for mine, if I can care enough to do it.I may also open it up to select users from these servers if I think them worthy. (Yes, it should be an honor, especially with the gui stuff you can do with it.)
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

scienceroboticspunk
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Everywhere(or in NJ, USA)

Re: Minecraft

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:19 am UTC

I remember back when the server was rippys. and a house was 4 walls and a ceiling made of dirt. not your new fangled castles with working nether portals and narnia and dragons and your potions.
these are words
type, type, type

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:33 am UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:I remember back when the server was rippys. and a house was 4 walls and a ceiling made of dirt. not your new fangled castles with working nether portals and narnia and dragons and your potions.

Narnia started out as a cave back in the days of rippy.

It has simply grown into a vast Empire.

Xerillum
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 2:04 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Xerillum » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:39 am UTC

I remember back when Narnia was still in a mountain, and when rippy's sky house was a great feat.

Also, when I started, the castle meteorswarm lives in was relatively Far Away ™, and only half of the outer walls were built.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Kick wrote:Alright, thanks for the information.

Where / how could I got about getting 1.8 running to join what appears to be the main server? Or, what is the IP for the server running 1.0.0?


As Bukkit has recently updated, we'll be updating as well. Shortly. We promise.

But before that...

2011-12-13_20.11.32.png

Christmas* is here!

To celebrate the holidays, I'm offering a my services to FESTIVALIZE(tm) your land!

FESTIVALIZATION comes with many options, including:
*replacing grass with snow blocks!
*Adding a layer of snowfall!
*Christmas Trees!
*PRESENTS!!1!
*And more!

Seasonal decorations will last till the end of the holidays, possibly longer if you're the kind of person who leaves their Christmas lights up till July.

Examples of currently festivalized areas:

Spoiler:
2011-12-13_18.00.50.png
Frontier Station

2011-12-13_18.11.09.png
Spawn Area

2011-12-13_18.14.33.png
Xkcadia

2011-12-13_19.19.52.png
Sky Collective

2011-12-13_18.34.41.png
Fiddler's Green


*Substitute for your favorite religious or secular winter tradition if applicable

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 am UTC

Hum, I suppose you could hang a nice big wreath on the front of Castle Clavey.

But it better have a bow on it.

Meem1029
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:11 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:09 am UTC

Can redstone go on snow without problems? If so it would be awesome if you could take the giant redstone elevator I made and turn it into snow for awesomeness, and maybe add a wreath or something cool.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Josephine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:24 am UTC

It can go on snow blocks, AFAIK. Not snow layer though.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
Gatchaman
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm UTC
Location: Caerphilly, UK

Re: Minecraft

Postby Gatchaman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:23 am UTC

Snowy server is awesome! I like seasonal changes- they should make autumn trees an option! =]
I'll leave some presents under the tree later..

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:51 am UTC

Protip: those photos are old.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Carlomagno
Posts: 75
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Carlomagno » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

If anybody gets extra snow because of the winterization, please send some my way. Bit of a project, and I need white/black blocks for it. Not looking forward to mining all that obsidian.

User avatar
_infina_
Posts: 391
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:55 pm UTC
Location: R'lyeh

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:If anybody gets extra snow because of the winterization, please send some my way. Bit of a project, and I need white/black blocks for it. Not looking forward to mining all that obsidian.

black wool?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

User avatar
SirBryghtside
Posts: 909
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

You could just use the redstone trick - redstone next to running water, then pour lava on it. So much cheaper.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 363
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Science Blag!


Here is my setup for safely being shot at by skeletons:

Spoiler:
View from the "safe" point:
Image

Side view:
Image

Any farther back and the skeletons don't shoot reliably, closer will expand thier viewing/shooting slit too much.

All the way back on the half-block I have never been hit, all the way forward I have been hit once. This is from about an hour of testing.

The skeletons shoot at thier maximum rate once they lock on to me. They start duels every so often. >B^)


One thing that would be useful would be if someone would host a "Science World" where we were all ops, with worldedit available to make normally unobtainable things like custom mobspawners and to quickly construct large test structures.

User avatar
Feylias
Posts: 338
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:Not looking forward to mining all that obsidian.
Unless you want to put obsidian in a specific place in the Nether, you're better off molding the obsidian in place, possibly with the Redstone trick. ...or waiting until 1.0.0, where I hear obsidian mines much more quickly.
Spoiler:
I just popped into creative and messed around with the redstone bug. Apparently, I've been overly complicating things forever. If redstone that is next to water of any height has lava fall on it or flow into it from the side, it becomes obsidian.

I always made an effort to keep the water not too high (because the lava was likely to bump the water first, then, and become obsidian itself) and always made an effort to have the lava fall on the redstone (I swear, my early experiments had the lava from the side merely washing the redstone away.) Weird. I seriously am tired enough and used enough to my 'blag' joke I just looked for a button that said 'blag' instead of looking for 'spoiler.'

User avatar
Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad
Posts: 3038
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:One thing that would be useful would be if someone would host a "Science World" where we were all ops, with worldedit available to make normally unobtainable things like custom mobspawners and to quickly construct large test structures.


That would be cool. Also prepare large flattened bedrock chunks of the world (but leave some terrain intact for those experiments). We can just duplicate the empty space if we need more.

#FrontierRail: I just realized the last span is in the middle of a tundra, and we're busy decorating our server for christmas. I suggest dedicating that span for the holidays, and possibly asking roos himself to come decorate. It'll be a permanent beacon, and since it marks the end of 1.8 territory, it'll be an eternal timestamp of when that bridge was built (and hence, when 1.0 arrived).
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

User avatar
bluejello
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby bluejello » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

I have a idea for a exp mob farm. First you make a dropping damage mob farm that leaves the mobs just alive, then you lob in two different potions, a potion of poison first then a potion of healing. the poison potion damage the non-undead creatures and the healing potion damage the undead.
because potions of damage heal undead that is not used, and healing potions heal non-undead thus the potion of poison first to kill non-undead, which does not affect undead.
Ingredients for three of each potion: spider eye, netherwart (2), golden nugget, melon slice, glass (3), gunpowder (2), and a water source.

I could work on getting it set up at a suitable location, would somewhere close to the spawn work? or a place close to a enchantment table.

At the bottom there could be a piston and lever combination to get drops closer to the person/get undead to 1 by 1 room for maximum damage.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Minecraft

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm UTC

bluejello wrote:I have a idea for a exp mob farm. First you make a dropping damage mob farm that leaves the mobs just alive, then you lob in two different potions, a potion of poison first then a potion of healing. the poison potion damage the non-undead creatures and the healing potion damage the undead.
because potions of damage heal undead that is not used, and healing potions heal non-undead thus the potion of poison first to kill non-undead, which does not affect undead.
Ingredients for three of each potion: spider eye, netherwart (2), golden nugget, melon slice, glass (3), gunpowder (2), and a water source.

I could work on getting it set up at a suitable location, would somewhere close to the spawn work? or a place close to a enchantment table.

At the bottom there could be a piston and lever combination to get drops closer to the person/get undead to 1 by 1 room for maximum damage.


Hum. That could work. Though, if you can set it to pull monsters out of spawners it might be easier to deal with.

User avatar
Vieto
Posts: 1558
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:44 pm UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

I don't see how that's more effective than just punching them, I mean if they are at half a heart, punching them is more resource-efficient.

Kain
Posts: 1140
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:29 am UTC
Location: At the center of the observable universe.

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:29 pm UTC

So, to pass the time until the server gets up to 1.0, I have been playing some vechs maps...
Spoiler:
Image

I am either doing something very wrong, or very right...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

User avatar
bluejello
Posts: 154
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby bluejello » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:I don't see how that's more effective than just punching them, I mean if they are at half a heart, punching them is more resource-efficient.


Only if there is a few, if there is a lot it is much faster to lob a couple potions into the group, especially if they are all contained on a single block.

It would be faster if there were spawners, but that limits the possible locations, which may not be all bad. another thing: spawners only spawn mobs when you are close to them, so the person would need to wait within the 16 or 32 block radius for the spawner to spawn mobs.
I think I might as well make it at my old home, a location that no mobs should spawn if no one is waiting for them. It has a skellie spawner. This will take a while to get set up. according to the wiki and my math, a drop of 21 should leave all mobs alive, some at 1 heart some at .5 heart and in 1.0 spiders will die due to the fall.
I have a plan ready now. The bottom will be obsidian to prevent creeper-related troubles as well as either cacti walls or a large space for falling. The (probably slow) process of building will start in several hours, when I get home from school, (internet at school has most ports blocked, so no updating or playing minecraft multiplayer)
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: Minecraft

Postby Josephine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:01 pm UTC

Kain wrote:So, to pass the time until the server gets up to 1.0, I have been playing some vechs maps...
Spoiler:
Image

I am either doing something very wrong, or very right...

How the hell did you manage that?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests