Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kain

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm UTC

Josephine wrote:
Kain wrote:So, to pass the time until the server gets up to 1.0, I have been playing some vechs maps...
Spoiler:

I am either doing something very wrong, or very right...

How the hell did you manage that?

Spoilered in case anyone else is working on the Sea of Flame II map (it is quite fun).
Spoiler:
I saw a giant pig from the start, figured there might be food there, and cobble bridged over. Turns out you could get there using a rail I had completely missed, but whatever. Anyways, there was a nether portal, and Vechs had used some editing software to make a frozen hell thing, where all netherrack and soul sand were replaced with snow blocks, all lava was replaced with ice, and all glowstone was replaced with diamond ore. I hadn't indended on mining them that early, but I managed to find a pick with fortune III when I was doing what was supposed to be a suicide scouting run to see what some weird looking things were (they were ghast spawners). Anyways, I am currently at 5 deaths, no wool, and 26 diamond.
As for the food, there were zombie pigmen spawners, but vechs decided they should drop rotten flesh instead of cooked porkchops, so yeah, mushroom soup for me.

Oh, just to be clear, I didn't decide not to put up an Iron block because it would look better this way. I only have 8 iron, total. Would have had 9 but I didn't realize gold pickaxes break iron ore.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Spoiler:
I saw a giant pig from the start, figured there might be food there, and cobble bridged over. Turns out you could get there using a rail I had completely missed, but whatever. Anyways, there was a nether portal, and Vechs had used some editing software to make a frozen hell thing, where all netherrack and soul sand were replaced with snow blocks, all lava was replaced with ice, and all glowstone was replaced with diamond ore. I hadn't indended on mining them that early, but I managed to find a pick with fortune III when I was doing what was supposed to be a suicide scouting run to see what some weird looking things were (they were ghast spawners). Anyways, I am currently at 5 deaths, no wool, and 26 diamond.
As for the food, there were zombie pigmen spawners, but vechs decided they should drop rotten flesh instead of cooked porkchops, so yeah, mushroom soup for me.

Spoiler:
The giant pig is a reference to a youtuber named Zisteau (you should definitely go look at his stuff). Vechs uses MCEdit. And he generally doesn't use any natural terrain. But I haven't seen the nether in SoF2. And Vechs can't choose what mobs drop. zombie pigmen drop that all the time now.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:56 am UTC

Josephine wrote:
Kain wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The giant pig is a reference to a youtuber named Zisteau (you should definitely go look at his stuff). Vechs uses MCEdit. And he generally doesn't use any natural terrain. But I haven't seen the nether in SoF2. And Vechs can't choose what mobs drop. zombie pigmen drop that all the time now.

Wait, they changed pigmen drops??

Spoiler:
Yeah, frozen nether looks awesome. Are you doing SoF2 as well, or are you watching the Bdub video (I started yesterday, saw the video today, and am resolving to finish the map myself before watching his play-through. Should be more interesting if I have already had some experiences with it..)

Oh, by the way, kickback and fire aspect on signs = awesome
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 am UTC

Kain wrote:Wait, they changed pigmen drops??
There's kind of no point in farming when you can just run to the nether with a diamond sword and get a few stacks of the best food...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 am UTC

So who owns the area at -10k x, only accessible through a long nether tunnel?

Update on Frontier Rail: We're building the new outpost station near Carlomagno's home, so that means another 400 meters of rail or so. It's a necessary detour, though, because we need an outpost for 1.0 construction (it will be far too difficult to ferry back and forth to the Frontier Station every time we need more things). Hopefully it will be done soon.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:15 am UTC

Steax wrote:So who owns the area at -10k x, only accessible through a long nether tunnel?

Update on Frontier Rail: We're building the new outpost station near Carlomagno's home, so that means another 400 meters of rail or so. It's a necessary detour, though, because we need an outpost for 1.0 construction (it will be far too difficult to ferry back and forth to the Frontier Station every time we need more things). Hopefully it will be done soon.

Nobody really ever has paid attention to the multiple times I pointed that system out.

Let's just say, Narnia does--It's the Nature Reserve, located worldside of Narnia South.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:28 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Steax wrote:So who owns the area at -10k x, only accessible through a long nether tunnel?

Nobody really ever has paid attention to the multiple times I pointed that system out.

Let's just say, Narnia does--It's the Nature Reserve, located worldside of Narnia South.

I thought Narnia South was at the end of a nether rail line...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:29 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

It is at the end of Trolley Line, just one that goes North. This is to confuse enemies.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Kain wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:

It is at the end of Trolley Line, just one that goes North. This is to confuse enemies.

Odd, we didn't see a trolley line heading to that area... must have missed it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:48 am UTC

Well, it's hard to miss if you head down that path as there's only just a missing block for the ladder down. It is hooked up to the Tennessee Williams Memorial Trolley Station though.

It's why I found the whole unprotected nether path for the Northern Rail line funny as, the longest line goes that direction.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Well, it's hard to miss if you head down that path as there's only just a missing block for the ladder down. It is hooked up to the Tennessee Williams Memorial Trolley Station though.

It's why I found the whole unprotected nether path for the Northern Rail line funny as, the longest line goes that direction.

Shhhh, stop telling them that! I need to have a way to get there quickly, while still making sure that most people use the scenic route.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:07 am UTC

Kain wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Well, it's hard to miss if you head down that path as there's only just a missing block for the ladder down. It is hooked up to the Tennessee Williams Memorial Trolley Station though.

Shhhh, stop telling them that! I need to have a way to get there quickly, while still making sure that most people use the scenic route.

Warning! Private Rail! Subscribers Only! Violators Will Be TNTED!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:55 am UTC

I was under the impression that zombie pigment dropped gold nuggets, but if they drop rotting flesh as well, then ok.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Vieto wrote:I was under the impression that zombie pigment dropped gold nuggets, but if they drop rotting flesh as well, then ok.

yeah, they are like the skeletons of the nether, what with their two drops.

Random thought: how hard would it be for a mod to put a door with some combat enchantments in a chest somewhere as a prize (signs are funny, but I want to kill a creeper with a door at some point...)

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:00 am UTC

The Exp farm is parky done. Semi-broken until 1.0 since you can't hit bottoms of mobs in 1.8
The only mobs are coming from the spawned, because no spawner pads have yet been built. I have plans for a massive trap, but That plan will be slowly acted upon.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:10 am UTC

So, as there is significant development going on at the new outpost and my area, I just want to fill people in on what I hope to provide for everyone.

First, the inn. Bona and I are working on an inn for people to use as a rest stop, and also for storage. I figure that folks around here certainly respect each other's stuff enough that people should be able to claim rooms/chests pretty easily. Specific amenities will be updated later.

Second, the farm. Any farming item that can be regrown, feel free to take. Obviously, it'll be most helpful if you replenish what you take. I plan to work on keeping the farming supplies coming, especially if my chunks are going to be updated while I'm not online.

Lastly, the mine. It's an expansive mine with caves and mineshafts throughout. Right now it's a bit of a mess that I navigate by muscle memory, but I'll gladly work on expanding it and keeping some kind of pathing system set up to the fresher, unmined areas.

If anybody wants to build something new in the area, I'd like to be informed first. That said, anyone should feel free to expand the warehouse to have a basement (assuming it doesn't interfere with anything), or update the minehouse to look a little better, possibly matching the inn when that's done. I hope I'm not sounding too controlling or demanding here! I think we can all work together for the outpost to be a nice-looking and effective area for 1.0 deployment.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:

Then add signs! I was totally confused when I got there. So many things, no clear owner. It'll still be a few km away from the Frontier area, though.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:05 am UTC

To quote Gana:
Blagtime
Spoiler:
Instead of studying for my finals tomorrow, I decided to go for a wool or two in Sea of Fire II. I had already accidentally found a huge stash of diamonds, by mistaking dungeon 16 for dungeon 1, and on what was supposed to be a suicide run (low health, high hunger and no food) had managed to find a pick with fortune 3, efficiency 5 and unbreaking 4.
See those diamonds up there? Good times.

Anyways, I cleared out the purple wool dungeon pretty easily, though it took me longer to find the chamber with the wool than it did to de-trap and de-mob the place. Found out that a full set of diamond armor without enchantments will prevent all damage from arrows, though you still take the hit to hunger. Feeling good, I decided to follow a rail, and found a set of caverns with a dungeon over some lava. I decided to sidestep that for the moment, as there was a drop to get there, and more importantly, there was a green cobble structure just a bit further on. I went in, and found someplace called the battle for... whatever, which looked rather entertaining. There were a bunch of dispensors with arrows on both sides of an area filled with cobweb trenches. Got by that okay, though my helmet finally gave out, and I ran out of torches.

I decided that rather than go back for more torches, I would scout ahead a bit and see what was left. As it turned out, all there was was a 20 block gap over lava, with ghast spawners on the sides. I figured I could bridge the gap safely if I completely enclosed myself in a cobble tunnel. It was working perfectly until a creeper spawned in the dark area and followed me.
As I sat looking at the respawn screen, watching my diamond pick burn (as well as the diamond sword with knockback and fire aspect, but I really didnt care about that one), I realized that I had not only been too hasty in neglecting to get more torches, I had been so hasty that I hadnt even considered storing the pick in the chest that was conveniently located just off to the side :oops: .

Anyways, after using some of the diamonds I had mined earlier, I went back, lit up the place better, and proceeded to finish the bridge. Two wool down, 14 to go. (7 deaths).

Yay, Red wool! That was a lot more fun than difficult. Ho-ray for diamond armor!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am UTC

After much struggle we managed to finish the rail, or to the end of the 1.8 lands, and rerouted the track to Carlo's outpost. He has quite a view of the near mountains and an enormous cavern system. well anyway, it takes exactly 5 minutes to get from the Frontier Station to Carlo's outpost (I timed myself) :shock: . He also let us set up a rest stop at his place for those who are planing on moving to the new lands (we kinda took over his place and now is chaos). we'll try not to disturb him anymore.... :oops:

But in other news, for those who haven't been on the server lately, it has a festive look to it now, from creeper statues with xmas hats to Santa's sled, candy cane under bridges (LMAO), snow all over the place and the NETHER!! dun dun dun..... I suggest you check out the server if you haven't. It's quite a ...view.

Mr. Roosevelt shows a lot of enthusiasm when it comes to holidays, he also left a xmas tree to some of us with presents. :D too bad we can't open them till the 25th. He's also planing a surprise for New Years, here is a quick preview:

Spoiler:
2011-12-14_23.29.57.png
FIREWORKS!!!
2011-12-14_23.29.59.png
...and yes that is a 3 block thick gold wall.

Spoiler:
2011-12-13_18.24.10.png
Fiddler's Green
2011-12-15_00.08.40.png
who wants to play ice hockey against pig zombies?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:33 am UTC

What are you talking about? Candy canes are an excellent support structure. All the sugary goodness in a spiral twist of awesome. Yum.

So yes. With the hard work of many people today (we had dozens of people!) the track towards 1.0-lands is nearly ready for action.

Here's the plan, as formulated in my mind; feel free to make modifications. I'm just writing it down so we're all clear on it.

- Upon updating, everyone starts venturing north from carlo's place. Just stay roughly at the same z. Current rough plans are to continue until we hit roughly -15k x. If possible, align with a nether fortress.
- We designate a "spawn" area, some 160x160 meters. The only real purpose is as a transportation hub and gathering area. This probably needs to be highly open and decorative; it's a meeting spot.
- Adjacent, we designate a general "farm" area. We mark it out in a 160x160 chunk of land; this means anyone on any given part of this central city will load the rest of the chunks. Therefore, I can be afking collecting melons from a melon farm machine, and mobs will spawn in the nextdoor mob spawner. Someone can then come in and use the mob spawner, and mobs will be ready and waiting. I can later log off and return, to find that my melons have grown and gathered while the other person was harvesting mobs. The idea of this farm is to have a central, reliable source of materials we can share and afk for each other. This means we don't individually need to mess with farming (unless anyone wants to, of course) and can focus on other builds.
- Everyone can freely spread out and build in the general area. When you do, please mark out your territory using, say, sand towers with redstone torches on top. Also prepare a route for incoming traffic, which will probably include railtracks and a pedestrian path. The idea is to have a proper transportation system connecting each 'city'. The transportation area will be in charge of having individual minecart tracks that carry people where they want to go; I think I (rirez) will overlook the transport network.

The farming area should include:
- Cattle farm
- Chicken farm
- Wheat farm
- Melon/pumpkin farm
- Slime farm
- Sugar farm
- EXP/mob farm
- Tree farm

All farms should connect to a central vein, which allows for a water channel to send all items into a single spot (for optimal AFKing). That's just the long-term goal, however. The AFK spot should also be close to our version of the communarium.

I'm thinking the central hub area should be atop a mountain, and the farming area in an adjacent valley. This allows the farming area to build vertically without becoming too overwhelming.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

So that area that everyone has been working on south of rirez's house is just a "prototype"

Also when we get out there the first thing we need to do is find the best slime area and mark off the top so its not right under the cow farm or something, hopefully we get a nice 3 chunks area again but even if we only get a 2 chunk area slimes will spawn up to lvl 40 in 1.0 so we can make the farm taller and increase the number of slimes to more than the current farm. Also i have seen a couple of differnt harvesting techniques to fource all the slimes into one block so you dont have to run around inside the "aquarium", although i do like the look of a glass house full of slimes, it would save space.

If i do my math right and slimes do spawn to layer 40 we can have 6 floors for slime spawning instead of the 2 we have now
They call me Mr. Piman

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

The current slimequarium is still probably the best slimeball source near old spawn, and the reed farm will be enough to keep everyone there happy for a while, regardless of how many speed potions people will need. But yeah, it's a prototype - we learned a lot of important lessons there, and tried out a bunch of new techniques. We now know what works and what doesn't. It was also somewhat haphazard, and we can probably do with better packing efficiency.

If we ensure proper collecting streams, we can even have the farm complex be 320x320, by standing in the center for where all the resources flow. I don't think we'll need that much space, though. We'll just begin work in the initial 160x160, and set aside the additional space in case we need it (maybe just 160x160 for automated farms, and another 160x160 for cattle farms, and possibly another 160x160 space for mob grinders).

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

if a spawner is found in the area that would help the mob trap a lot, but you need to be within 16 blocks of it for it to spawn things. The exp farm I am currently working on can be regarded as a prototype that I think worked out quite well considering it actually works unlike my past attempts at traps.
I could get the mob trap set up, and through the use of pistons it could be a afk item gathering place, or a exp farm (if used as a AFK farm, a lever is swiched activating a piston that lowers to let lava through and burn up the mobs at the collection area, and possibly release a water flow to move the drops to the central collection area.

I am wondering if it would be better to have the mobs collect at the top of the drop shaft, or collect at the bottom. If they are at the top they will despawn more readily making less potential lag(more work to get set up), but if they are at the bottom it might end up with more lag(less work to get set up).

Make all the collection places at the same level and connecting them should be fairly easy. I could work on hooking everything together if people want me to,
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 am UTC

for those who are interested, today is being held the first match of the Race for Wool and is being live streamed.
We were not bale to get in the tournament because we didn't have enough members. maybe next time....

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:17 am UTC

I think once we arrive, we'll immediately start sectioning out areas for each structure. Meem, bona, kid and piman know a lot more about building these things than I do, so I think they can handle that.

We can use xeril's method of periodically tossing uncollected items into a cactus, to remove the possibility of lag.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:12 am UTC

I think that the server has gained sentience. Its obviously taunting me. There are nine people on there. That I know! And that I can trade with! And destroy! Somehow the server is taunting me with this information. Why does it taunt me so?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:30 am UTC

Because someone else is destroying the server.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:31 am UTC

What? Griefers? How did they get past our defenses? How could they have possibly solved the ten piece puzzle and gotten into our gates! Witchcraft!
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:44 am UTC

Scallel wrote:I think that the server has gained sentience. Its obviously taunting me. There are nine people on there. That I know! And that I can trade with! And destroy! Somehow the server is taunting me with this information. Why does it taunt me so?

last night we had 12 players, that is the most I've seen on this server. and half of them were finishing up the rail. ^_^

I have a few dozen ender pearls if you are still collecting.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:49 am UTC

Well, come the 21st, assuming the copy of windows ever f'ing gets delivered--of which I'm having my doubts. Seriously, how does it take more than five days to get from KC to St. Louis--, I will be able to join this adventure on FAR distance. Of course, that's a misnomer, because I'll get to see what all those other games act like when played on a computer with proper settings.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:19 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:01 am UTC

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:15 am UTC

So roos' gift has been mostly manufactured into rail, which includes 2 chests of powered rail (likely enough for a fully freight-supporting railway) and 7 1/2 chests of normal rail. That's far less rail than we initially calculated, so we'll proceed with this so far, and latch on donations from other kind players.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:21 am UTC

Steax wrote:So roos' gift has been mostly manufactured into rail, which includes 2 chests of powered rail (likely enough for a fully freight-supporting railway) and 7 1/2 chests of normal rail. That's far less rail than we initially calculated, so we'll proceed with this so far, and latch on donations from other kind players.

I'm sorry, I'm weary of investing in rail stock, particularly from an American.

:wink:

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:11 am UTC

Oh. Part of that may be due to the fact that I logged out with a significant amount of the raw supplies still on me. By significant amount I mean 5-6 stacks of each. So that's, uhh, a lot of rails.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:23 am UTC

We should be all good, then. We have enough supplies to establish freight routes, if all goes well (niexs and I are managing that). This means we can export and import goods from the mainland easily. Surplus rail will be used to connect the new frontier city with each person's territory.

Roos also kindly provided a large christmas present which we'll sink our teeth into later, so looks like everything will work out happily.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 am UTC

I'm sorry I haven't been on more lately. I've been playing Terraria, it's had a big update. I'll be back in a couple days, but I'll be sure not to miss anything organized.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:32 am UTC

The rail is almost complete. We're now just finishing up, and prepping for 1.0.

Issue: We will now need redstone power instead of detector tracks for powered rail (detector rails are just too expensive and bug out sometimes. What are our options? Can we stick a redstone torch in between? Lever? Torch?

@Roos: May I post screenshots of your failed-attempt-to-freeze? Or would you prefer that be lost to the sands of time?

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

The skyrail has redstone torches placed under the track, that would keep things out of the way.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:02 pm UTC

Exactly which bit? I tried placing it between the powered rails, and nothing.

Return to “Gaming”