Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tHe_kiiD

Re: Minecraft

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:57 am UTC

Steax wrote:My enchanting method is basically:
1. Calculate minimum level required for desired enchantment (since for me it's more or less always, like, Fortune picks).
2. Obtain diamond tool of choice.
3. Gain minimum level. I usually set things in units of 8 minutes, because that's the length of a fireproof potion. 1 potion is about 14-15 levels, 2 is about 22, 3 is about 27-28, when grinding at a single blaze spawner.
4. Enchant for maximum level use. The easiest way to adjust enchanting levels, it turns out, is not to use pistons to push bookshelves, but to push blocks into the space between bookshelf and table. It appears that it only takes 1 block at ground level to block off both the lower bookshelf and upper bookshelf, but if it doesn't, we can just use sand.
5. If succcessful, end process. If unsuccesful, is there a worn-out item of the same type?
a) If yes, repair them together and return to step 3.
b) If no, use tool until it is nearly worn out, and then use this for repairing in your next attempt.

Fortune has been extremely annoying to find. It is, however, the most desirable enchant. Level 4 would give you more than double the diamonds you would normally get, which, IMO, is completely worth the time and resources.

The wiki also says that Fortune works on Nether Wart. If it does, then... it's rather awesome. It also incorrectly says it works on glowstone, though, so I'm not sure.

tHe_kiiD wrote:what are the odds of finding a lv 50 enchantment? I've spent around 3 hours looking for one and the closest I've been is 49. I surrounded myself with bookcases with top and bottom as well and no luck. the worst part is that both the times I've done it I picked a lv 48 after getting tired of looking and ended up with Efficiency IV both times.... from now on, no more lv 48 enchantments for me.

How long did it take you to get to lv 48? I've never seen a level 50 enchant, ever.

I got to lv. 60 in about 3-4 hours the first time.
second time I only went up to lv. 50 since going any higher is just a waste of time.
the third time i went to lv 35 then I died...

I've only been using one skellie spawner xp farm.
if we are able to find 2 or more spawners of any kind next to each other the leveling up would be much faster.

I looked at the wiki and it said; "On average, it takes 2480 tries to get a level 50 enchantment, but only about 71 tries to get an enchantment of level 46 or higher. "

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:I've only been using one skellie spawner xp farm.
if we are able to find 2 or more spawners of any kind next to each other the leveling up would be much faster.

You mean like those five cave spider spawners? (Okay, only three of them seem to be within the 16 block limit, though I haven't plotted the coordinates yet to figure out if any others are close enough)

tHe_kiiD wrote:I looked at the wiki and it said; "On average, it takes 2480 tries to get a level 50 enchantment, but only about 71 tries to get an enchantment of level 46 or higher. "

This is what I hate about enchantments. The level progression and expenditure may be annoying, but seriously, 2480 tries for a level 50 enchantment? They couldn't have given us a slider? Even a system where the number of bookshelves raised the minimum as well as the maximum would have been nice, as it would at least let us use pistons to refine our choice.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:31 am UTC

Yes. I don't mind the expenditure and how good the enchantments actually are. Risk vs reward can go fuck itself. Just let us actually do that without standing there clicking a button for ten minutes.

While they're at it, let us get flint from dropping gravel onto a torch again.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

How long did that take, kid?

The whole random thing gets extra annoying because of SMP lag.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

Is it within the ops power to spawn a perticular type of spawner? If so what would it take to bribe one of the ops to just "move" a spawner over a couple blocks so you can get all 5 of those spider spawners in on spot or "move" 2 blaze spawners to the same spot? Or would that be to much like cheating? Also is there a plan for making an underground railroad from spawn to pandora in the nether? We could just extend the narnia south tunnel and have a 3 way gate there.
They call me Mr. Piman

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

I am planning on building an enclosed walkway today, then adding the rails after i finish the walkway. I just need to wait for some stone to finish cooking and for some glass, I plan on using panes.
these are words
type, type, type

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Melic wrote:Is it within the ops power to spawn a perticular type of spawner? If so what would it take to bribe one of the ops to just "move" a spawner over a couple blocks so you can get all 5 of those spider spawners in on spot or "move" 2 blaze spawners to the same spot? Or would that be to much like cheating? Also is there a plan for making an underground railroad from spawn to pandora in the nether? We could just extend the narnia south tunnel and have a 3 way gate there.

Yes we can, but I'd hate to accidentally spell "spider" as "enderdragon". :twisted:

Co-ords?

Speaking of co-ordinates, the new new Pandora capital city center (the one with the stone piller and the portal) is at X= -16302, Z= -7712. (Just wanting to save everycody else a few hours of searching. Grrr....)

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

Actually, we probably are better off with the spider spawners spaced out the way they are. That whole no spawning if there are more than 6 in the same area spawning zone, you know?

Blal, are you any good at making poison spider xp grinders? If so, there are a bunch of spawners in the caves below the new city center (though most of them are out into the swamp area and the sea beyond) for you to try messing around with.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:32 pm UTC

No, I've never built a cave spider XP grinder, nor have I ever built a successful XP grinder, even on my creative science world. Note: I've only attempted to build XP grinders that handle all mobs, which so far has proved difficult due to skellies accidentally shooting creepers, leading to a rather short lifespan for the grinder.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Actually, we probably are better off with the spider spawners spaced out the way they are. That whole no spawning if there are more than 6 in the same area spawning zone, you know?

What about moving them in a line verticaly then connecting them with water ways to the same drop point? Or would that put them to far away from the player.

Also are cave spiders smaller than other spiders? I use a 2 by 2 hall way with a 1 by 2 door to get into/stand at for my spider spawner. Would cave spiders just walk through the 1 by 2 door? If you would like to look at my spider spawner its right across the hall from my nether portal. I have it set up so with a lever switched down (i think) you can push a button and have a spider or 2 dispence onto a training mat. With the lever up (maybe reversed) the spiders stay in there tunnel up stairs and you can easily just kill them for xp. Its not fast, I think im limiting my self to too small of a spawning area due to the set up have, it would be great to hear feed back or ideas on how to inprove it.
They call me Mr. Piman

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:38 pm UTC

I got a creeper shirt for Christmas. I am now going to fuck shit up.

Also, sad, I was playing Skyrim, thought I heard a creeper, then proceeded to run like hell.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

nether trolly from waterworld to pandora is complete, thank you pinman for all your help.
these are words
type, type, type

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

I may have indirectly caused an issue with monkey's XP grinder by moving into the wrong spot. Long story short, Creeper explosion. :oops:
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:I may have indirectly caused an issue with monkey's XP grinder by moving into the wrong spot. Long story short, Creeper explosion. :oops:

I recall doing the same thing once, back when I was new to the server, to that Doom thingamajig.
Of course, I still think that creeper glitched through a wall, but whatever.

Melic, poison spiders are 1 by 1 by 1. The easiest way to kill them is to let them climb up a set of iron fences or the like, then hit them through the corner at the top.

Spoiler:
basically, you repeat the
AFA
FAF
AFA
pattern (where A is air and F is fence) about three times, then cap it with
AAA
AFA
AAA

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:44 pm UTC

Today, I learned that Scallel does not like Charmanders :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:03 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Today, I learned that Scallel does not like Charmanders :P

I knew I didn't like him for a reason.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:23 am UTC

blalobw wrote:
Melic wrote:Is it within the ops power to spawn a perticular type of spawner? If so what would it take to bribe one of the ops to just "move" a spawner over a couple blocks so you can get all 5 of those spider spawners in on spot or "move" 2 blaze spawners to the same spot? Or would that be to much like cheating? Also is there a plan for making an underground railroad from spawn to pandora in the nether? We could just extend the narnia south tunnel and have a 3 way gate there.

Yes we can, but I'd hate to accidentally spell "spider" as "enderdragon". :twisted:

Co-ords?

Speaking of co-ordinates, the new new Pandora capital city center (the one with the stone piller and the portal) is at X= -16302, Z= -7712. (Just wanting to save everycody else a few hours of searching. Grrr....)

I... I thought there were only 2 nether-portals, one to my temp home and one to the new city center. Or has someone recently added more?

Spawning an enderdragon worldside is going to be an absolute disaster. And by disaster I don't mean "kaboom world kaboom!" but "um, any good seeds for a new world?"

If anyone has spare time to help build the capital for now, I think someone needs to start baiting and fencing in all those animals. There's dozens and dozens of them in the grasslands.

I'll be back in a few days.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 am UTC

I recently added another portal, and built a netherrack protective wall around the one to Rir's temporary home (which was briefly the exit for my own nether portal), and around mine. And now, anyone at the landing site can easily get to my farm/fort!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Re xp farming: I've set up a skeleton and zombie spawner that were close enough. Its near the meem/Crispy spider one (like almost on top of it). Ideally, just stand there afk for 45 mins and then throw in a splash healing potion into the kill zone. That will get you half the xp you need to get to lvl 50 in one go, and the cost (one bottle, one melon slice, one nugget, one sulfur and time to do something else) is very reasonable for the easy xp.

Also, when is the next map going to be up? I looked around the continent a fair bit today. It was biggish, but not huge. The oceans vastness definitely dwarfs it.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:10 am UTC

We should fully fortify the netherside, then, carlo. Last I was there, the ghast craters were rather overwhelming.

Jesting, have you been up to the solar north shore? I went there with carlo once, but we stopped when we got to the desert just north of some particularly awesome mountains. Still can't find a north edge.

SpaceOdysseus

Postby SpaceOdysseus » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

Yo, I'd very much like to be white-listed. my name and Minecraft name are the same.
thank you in advance.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:01 pm UTC

Map has been updated! With more zoom levels!
I've had to remove the closest zoom, though. The map was getting to big.
Also, there is a nether map. Switch between them in the top right. Tell me what you think about it.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

It looks great monkey. I am a bit surprised that there is a whole direction unexplored from waterworld.
these are words
type, type, type

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:46 pm UTC

So, without going to a lot of trouble, I want a way to convert all the eggs I get into meat. Blag:
Spoiler:
2011-12-30_10.23.55.png
I decided to make a big stew pot to hold them.
2011-12-30_10.25.03.png
The pot has water at each of the corners to minimize chickens choking to death in the snowy walls (snow farming is so easy, I use it for all my temporary builds.) The hole in the bottom of the pot is multipurpose, but it helps keep the eggs from causing lag (not that there would be that many.)
2011-12-30_10.29.23.png
I gotta hurl ALL the eggs in there now. Annoying. Maybe I'll work in some sort of dispenser thing later.
2011-12-30_10.31.50.png
My kitten loves the way it looks when this pot is full of chickens; she says it looks like popping popcorn.
2011-12-30_10.26.55.png
If you throw eggs too quickly, you'll levitate chicks out of the pot and they'll escape. Here I am, aborting those miscreants. Annoyingly enough, I don't even get XP for this and the little buggers are hard to kill.
2011-12-30_11.15.31.png
The good thing about chickies is THAT
eventually they get nice and FAT.
2011-12-30_11.16.02.png
I drop gravel from upon high onto the four water source blocks (I have to do it from high because if I try it against the inner walls the bouncing chickens are in the way)
2011-12-30_11.16.19.png
Profit.
This prototype works well enough, but when I upgrade it I'll have a lever that cuts off water flow, a taller and bigger pot, and maybe some fire near the edge to kill the chicks that escape. Oh, and a dispenser that will fill the thing for me.
Ah yes; forgot to mention; I've upgraded my cobble jenny so that it pushes out smoothstone (really easy, surprisingly; I just had to add blocks so that lava fell onto the water instead of flowing into it). Now I get exactly the same amount of cobble, but instead of spending 25ish minutes to wear out a pick I only take 19 and a half.

Also, I tried using an Unbreaking II pick at the jenny last night. I starved to death. Normally I wake up to a Steve that is only missing three hunger. Whups.

Catmando

Postby Catmando » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:42 am UTC

Is anyone else an avid Minecraft forum user? I typically match my time in the actual game with my time on the forum browsing threads and such.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:20 am UTC

I think if I did that my keyboard would have a lot more blood on it. That is not a fun place. It make me angry.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Catmando

Postby Catmando » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:52 am UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I think if I did that my keyboard would have a lot more blood on it. That is not a fun place. It make me angry.

I tend to stay away from most of the subforums that are actually about the game. Having been there for 2+ years the threads all look the same at this point, except somehow dumber. I still visit a few mod threads like Redpower because it's awesome, as well as the off topic sections, and I browser some of the texture packs and user-made maps sometimes. It has its bad days, though.

Of course a lot of the time I'm simultaneously playing Minecraft on my desktop computer, so I'm not paying nearly as much attention to the stuff that goes on there as I probably could. That may explain why I can tolerate it while you cannot.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:33 am UTC

I think part of the reason I can't go on the Minecraft forums is that I was spoiled by the Dwarf Fortress community. I seriously believe that at least 90% of the people on the Minecraft forums act like they're under 12 years old.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:11 am UTC

Xerillum wrote:I think part of the reason I can't go on the Minecraft forums is that I was spoiled by the Dwarf Fortress community. I seriously believe that at least 90% of the people on the Minecraft forums act like they're under 12 years old.

That's a common problem with humanity in general.

Then again, you're talking to somebody who just now realized he hadn't eaten dinner and it's ten o'clock. I blame Skyrim. So much shit to steal. I swear, I really need to get over my urge to completely steal everything in the house that isn't nailed down.

Catmando

Postby Catmando » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:39 am UTC

Xerillum wrote:I think part of the reason I can't go on the Minecraft forums is that I was spoiled by the Dwarf Fortress community. I seriously believe that at least 90% of the people on the Minecraft forums act like they're under 12 years old.

I've never gotten into the DF community, I just browse their forums. I should probably play DF, but... the graphics! I'm so weak when it comes to aesthetics. I've tried to remedy the situation, looking for a good tileset, but can't find one that appeals to me. Funny that I play Minecraft if I'm picky about graphics, of course.

Anyway, this is a probably little off topic.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:11 am UTC

Catmando wrote:I should probably play DF, but... the graphics! I'm so weak when it comes to aesthetics.
(PATV's Graphics vs. Aesthetics) may be relevant. I think the aesthetics of Minecraft are actually pretty good. I've done some significant reading on DF and think I could enjoy it, (and when I try to play Rogue with tilesets I can't enjoy it at all) but I notice that when something's a bit off in Minecraft it really bothers people; something that wouldn't happen if there weren't at least an attempt at a cohesive aesthetic scheme.

OTOH, what do I know from aesthetics? I'm color blind, and have various tin sensory organs. ...and I do wish there was a way to influence certain biome-specific things (or maybe change biomes entirely). I spent some time in one of my single player worlds, recently, filling in a swamp biome with sand because the grass and water was such an unpleasant dark color for what I was doing there. ...and my Fiddler's Green, once a uniform shade of lovely dark green, is now many different shades.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:03 am UTC

Well, once I fix my sheep problem I plan to do a very interesting and colorful aesthetic for the Narnia Arms. I actually got the idea while reading a text on postmodern architecture.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:41 am UTC

I expect a huge spike in wool exports soon. They're gaining momentum as a really good colorful block that's rather plentiful with breeding. Snow is also likely useful, especially with the new farming methods available.

Also, gana, I am totally sending my secret spies to examine your design.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:48 pm UTC

I dont know if I'll be on the server for a couple of days. I just started canopy carnage and it is really fun. I'll probably return to the server when I raegquaat.
these are words
type, type, type

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:13 pm UTC

Steax wrote:gana, I am totally sending my secret spies to examine your design.
Cobble Jenny:
Spoiler:
2011-12-31_10.47.06.png
The original way the cobble jenny worked; in which Lava flowed sideways into the water.
2011-12-31_08.22.14.png
The cobble jenny as modified to produce smoothstone.
2011-12-31_09.02.07.png
The lava flow falls on water flow. The piston pushes the smoothstone out. You need to make sure the lava never actually hits the water source. In my actual jenny, the piston's pulsing and a glass block atop the water source prevent that fine. Here I've stretched it out to make it more visible.
2011-12-31_09.02.39.png
Sometimes lava will fall before water does, but the piston pulsing also corrects that before the lava has a chance to flow sideways into the water.
Snow farming:
Spoiler:
2011-12-31_08.48.27.png
For some reason, if you shovel snowballs from directly under the snowman many of the snowballs...disappear?
2011-12-31_08.48.57.png
The water pushes the snowman into the corner, and I shovel the kitty-corner block with stone shovels so that I actually get the snowballs. I have a furnace under that in order to avoid falling to my horrible death in Mordor. Also, as I hold down my right-click I watch the break pattern on the furnace top to make sure it doesn't progress; the shovel moves VERY fast during this, so care is warranted.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

FREE THE SNOWGOLEMS! THEY ARE NOT YOUR SLAVES! :x

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Jesting, have you been up to the solar north shore? I went there with carlo once, but we stopped when we got to the desert just north of some particularly awesome mountains. Still can't find a north edge.

I did explore, but I got pretty turned around. I explored that peninsula NW of the main settlement, but when I came back along the north coast I thought that the mountains that I arrived at were the ones that you hit before the plains.

btw, there's some mycellium quietly growing near the new town centre. I'll put a little house there soonish.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:12 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
btw, there's some mycellium quietly growing near the new town centre. I'll put a little house there soonish.

Do you mean that one little island by my farm and bridges? Don't be fooled, its artificial. (Yay, silk touch).

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:32 pm UTC

No, I do not. I also scored a silk touch thing and I've made a little field out of it, north of the gate. I traveled out to the island SW of (-17k, -6k) to get it. If I'd known I could get it a little closer to home I might have made a different choice.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:No, I do not. I also scored a silk touch thing and I've made a little field out of it, north of the gate. I traveled out to the island SW of (-17k, -6k) to get it. If I'd known I could get it a little closer to home I might have made a different choice.

Sorry, should probably have mentioned ganabane island earlier.

Return to “Gaming”