Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Minecraft

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Manial wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:Does anyone have a magic wand for finding nether fortresses? Could I borrow it? I'll bring it back.
I think Infina or Kiid has one, because we managed to stumble upon at least 5 on the way to the Antarctic portal.

In the end I picked a direction and traveled about 3 or 4 hundred blocks before I found one out there in the mist. Took ages to locate the netherwart, though luckily (?) got attacked by blazes almost as soon as I got there. Its so scary fighting them when you've got no potions to help.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

am I the only one not being able to connect to the server? every time I try to play multiplayer, the XKCD server always gives me the "Can't Reach Server" error.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

The server is down, I've pm'd Talon but not heard back yet.

I'll be checking the world files for errors, but so far it looks like the problem is at the server end

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 am UTC

UPDATE: The world has no errors according to Minecraft Region Fixer and the host had another version of CraftBukkit available so I tried that one, and it looks like it's up. Hop on and test it out!

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:26 am UTC

What version is the server right now?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:49 am UTC

EDIT: Specifically, 1.1R4b1932

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

I have a tekkit server running. Application form can be found at http://cbouton.com/tekkit (note, this redirects to an https page).
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

The XKCD server is running the second-to-most-recent automatic update, and I'm on and it's running just fine.

...also, since I always go spelunking/mining with two buckets of water and one of lava ANYWAY, patching an underground floor so that it is all smoothstone is now super easy! No resource use or tool durability use needed!

I'm excited about the upcoming changes. Being able to place stairs upside down means indirect lighting can come from any direction including through the floor!

Testificate breeding is nice too; if Roos herds two of them to his city they'll start breeding on their own, I think.

Iron golems? How can I not abuse those? I wonder if they'll be useful in The End?

...and I'm not sure how height-limit changes may work.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:05 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:The XKCD server is running the second-to-most-recent automatic update, and I'm on and it's running just fine.

...also, since I always go spelunking/mining with two buckets of water and one of lava ANYWAY, patching an underground floor so that it is all smoothstone is now super easy! No resource use or tool durability use needed!

I'm excited about the upcoming changes. Being able to place stairs upside down means indirect lighting can come from any direction including through the floor!

Testificate breeding is nice too; if Roos herds two of them to his city they'll start breeding on their own, I think.

Iron golems? How can I not abuse those? I wonder if they'll be useful in The End?

It means UFO's above everything.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:18 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:
Feylias wrote:---major snippage---

It means UFO's above everything.

Oh yes, Yes Indeed.

Unless I decide to live in a duplicate of the UP house. Or a Star Destroyer. Or that S.H.I.E.L.D. HQ flying thing. (What is that thing called anyway?)

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:26 am UTC

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 am UTC

Lets allocate each cell to 1 player and let them build in his or her own style for that cell!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

And then we can have a server-wide board game night!

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:GUYS

WE NEED TO BUILD ONE OF THESE

YES!

That is all.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Well, if we are going to be making some board games, anyone mind if I steal a portion of the desert north of the cathedral to make a backgammon board?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Hmm, board games. Axis and allies anyone?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

After building that home with only redstone, pistons, some lava and water, and some smoothstone I want to make a much larger project using a similar design.

I will need a LOT of pistons, or items to make pistons with, as well as redstone. Anyone want to help supply resources? otherwise, lots of mining...
If you want to see how I have it wired I could get a simple cutaway view ready. it works by having a live redstone wire positioned such that when a block is overtop of it the redstone points to the piston and when a block is not above it powers the vertical pistons.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:10 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:GUYS

WE NEED TO BUILD ONE OF THESE

I may be missing the point. what am I looking at again?

SUPER NINJA EDIT
nvm. after a quick look through the comments I found out what it was.

wam

Re: The Way of the Block

Postby wam » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:Also....Did anyone realise their mineshaft in pandora that has extra torches and bridges from the opposite direction? That would be me...

Edit: The grammar section of my brain keeps shutting down. >.< It must be running on Windows Vista

May have been me a while ago.. it took me a while to realise but i stopped and went another way, couldnt find a way out from the other side though so had no idea whos it was!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:52 pm UTC

...is this the doing of a new wordfilter?

Edit: Oh, for...

Edit 2: This is starting to get annoying :P

Edit 3: ...
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:08 am UTC

So I am not sure why, but for some reason I had assumed that trying to move a silverfish block with a piston would cause it to break. Now that I know this is an incorrect assumption, I have this strong desire to make a flying cube out of silverfish blocks. Pity I don't know where any spawners are...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:16 am UTC

I'm guessing you saw Etho's new episode. If we had a stronghold we could move the blocks that have silverfish in them. Not only that but we would we able to create our own blocks with silverfish in them and move them with pistons using the spawner. Too bad OPs didn't give us a stronghold because that is the only place where you would be able to find them...

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:44 am UTC

Hulk want know if Hulk may smash a 110 by 70 (or so) area of the desert north of Not-Hulk's cathedral in order to make a backgammon board (the listed area does not include the dice, as Hulk has not figured out how Hulk will set them up).

On a side note, Hulk may need to smash a nether fortress for the netherbricks needed for the project.

Spoiler:
The current state of the design. Hulk glad Hulk messed around in creative first, because Hulk had completely forgot to consider that grass changes color with biome. Guess Hulk use green wool.

Also, does the redstone trick still work for obsidian?

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

The redstone to obsidian trick does still work, in related news there is now a couple blocks of obsidian in the desert.

It seems that mine craft is now being changed into the way of the block.

The auto-build castle is being worked on at a currently unknown location. Wood, stone, redstone, and iron will be greatly appreciated. (once I get the cords)

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:09 pm UTC

And occasionally to Minceraft.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:28 am UTC

Mod madness strikes again

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

Is there a sugar cane farm in pandora?

If there isn't Im happy to build one and I think I have a design from creative that will work.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

wam wrote:Is there a sugar cane farm in pandora?

If there isn't Im happy to build one and I think I have a design from creative that will work.

I don't think we have one, but I'm not certain.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

Thanks for the obsidian jesting!

The backgammon board as it currently stands:
Spoiler:

I tend to agree with roosevelt that in this situation green wool looks better than grass. Any differences in opinion?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

It's also more appropriate for a backgammon board. Green felt is the proper construction material surely!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

Yeah, but, is the black stuff usually composed of flash solidified lava, and the red stuff hewn from fortresses of unknown origin that litter a hellish parallel realm? I think we're just trying for a visual effect. How its achieved might have some significance for some projects, but not this one imo.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

I just enjoy serendipity. I would call my starship that.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

I actually have never been fond of backgammon boards that use felt (the one I play on is made of three different types of wood [it is part of a table I inherited a while back, that had been in the family for three or so generations]).
However, since we can't place the wood blocks in a way that has their sides facing up, and since we wont have jungle wood blocks for a while yet, I opted to go with a more commercial look.

Of course, at the end of the day jestingrabbit is mostly correct.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

Ok, I have the cords for my auto-building and self-repairing castle project. they are X-16274 and either plus or minus Z8152. A nethergate exists for faster travel.

Yes, it is a bit of a mess, and yes, it will take a long time to build. but I plan on finishing this project.
SHAMELESS BEGGING TIME: Iron is probably the resource most needed. I have a lot of redstone and a infinit source of cobble.

I am now aware of the word filters in place. and I am now aware as to why I am is appearing.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
wam wrote:Is there a sugar cane farm in pandora?

I don't think we have one, but HULK not certain.

There is one behind the melon farm but its pretty small. Im happy to make it much larger if thats ok with the owner?

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:24 pm UTC

Uhh, ya. I came on one night and someone mentioned that I should build one since I was (partly) responsible for the one at the farm. I started to, and then had to go or something. I'm not really sure why, but I left it half done.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Uhh, ya. I came on one night and someone mentioned that I could build one since I was (partly) responsible for the one at the farm. I started to, and then had to go or something. HULK not really sure why, but I left it half done.

Cool i will have a go. Its probably the biggest thing i have built.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:09 am UTC

Does anybody want to join me on Miner Apocalypse? It's a relatively new (about a month, I think) survival server inspired by Fallout, and it uses this custom mod.

Basically it tries to make SMP more SSP-like. You can only talk to people within 50 blocks of you, though you can use radios and build antennas to send messages over long distances. You spawn randomly on the map (10k by 10k square, and it loops around), and then explore and find people to team up with. There are a few factions already... some are friendly and focus on building or defending others, and some raid people's bases and grief. (Dickish griefing is discouraged, unless it's in good faith.)

I have a small base already, and it would be cool to have a faction of xkcdites.

Feylias

My Sunday Adventures Blagtiem:

Postby Feylias » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:45 am UTC

I feel like telling a story to a captive audience. I will tell this story in two parts.
Spoiler:
So, I've been playing some Hardcore, lately (okay, just Sunday.) I look forward to getting back to filling sky, but I just wanted to futz around on the seed "Hardcore" in hardcore mode, just to re-experience how hard it is to start from scratch, see what the seed was like, and so on.

It wasn't bad; I spawned on a heavily grassed plainy area with lots and lots of cows around and many trees. I immediately dig a two-deep hole and push a couple chickens into it, then gather some wood, till some land and plant some seeds, and hide in my hole at night. I tried mining stairs downward but found a maze of abandoned mineshafts that didn't have a convenient chokepoint approach. So I decide to heck with it and just relax with my chickens, using their eggs to increase their number (and trying to keep them from going down the mine stairs; eventually I work out an arrangement of trapdoor stairs that I can fold flat to make them useless when I don't need them.)

2012-03-12_19.44.20.png
My original hidey-hole with chickens and such remaining there.

The next day I explore across the nearby river and find a ravine with lots of exposed iron in it! Whee! I route the river into the ravine and swim down to the iron, gather it, one thing leads to another, and I end up moving there.

I now have brought grass to the bottom of the ravine and terraformed it so it's pretty and the waterfalls look natural. I've got some wheat and sugarcane growing there, and I've got several scattered beds that I've made with the spider string from my spider dungeon grinder. This, because we (inexplicably) can sleep ANYWHERE as long as we go to bed before monsters show up (I hope this is changed.)

I've played it safe. My first three iron ingots became a pick, but the subsequent ones went directly into armor. The sword was later...and I'm always fully fed. Eventually I'll start carrying golden apples, but I'm not really wandering into harm's way.

At the very bottom of the stairs, where it hit bedrock (I have to go to bedrock so I can count upward from the top layer and know my Y coordinate; I'm not using F3) I build a large clear room with smoothstone walls and floor (floor is easy; mine out all the non-bedrock on layer six, fill with water, then pour lava on the water to make it turn to smoothstone. I like the patches of obsidian and bedrock so I leave those in; otherwise I'd make the floor a meter higher. ..which would be easy, and cost no resources!)

Yay!

I wanted slimes to spawn there, but they don't and I have plenty of slime from my other explorations so I don't really need them. I instead lure cows down there and make them breed. The bottom step I replaced with a trapdoor so that cows (after I bring them down into the ravine without killing them and then bring them down the stairs to bedrock) don't wander back up the stairs and hurt themselves.

Later, to make use of the AFK time I spent sleeping without having to go way back to my chicken hole, I built a new chicken hole off one side of my staircase down. I make sure there's a dent in the wall under the ladder so that the chickens won't jump up and climb the ladder out, and I stand in there with a dozen chickens and let them push me around and fill my inventory with eggs. This is very safe.

or so I thought. Dun dun DUN!
Part two, in which I get to the point:
Spoiler:
So I went to sleep with my armor on, my inventory empty, torches everywhere, and a mere dozen chickens in the chicken room with me. Everything was cool. Mind you, if I'd had more chickens, they'd push me around so much my little legs would move and I'd burn hunger and die from starvation, but this would require way more than a dozen chickens; I would awaken to so little hunger I could eat a piece of bread and be full again.

...instead, I awaken to find that I'm in a room that has a dozen chickens AND about 18 cows. My hunger is down to two, and it drops to 1.5 as I watch. W. T. F.

...I get out of there and eat food right away, Then I look for what happened to the cows.

The cow pen has only about four cows left in it (I brought a LOT, and I made them all breed.) It also has about twenty blocks of dirt and gravel scattered about, including the blocks that made stairs for cows to get up and out of the pen and wander in to where the chickens were. Why did they go there? Maybe because it was better lit? I don't know.

In the center of the floor, wandering around like he belonged there, an industrious Enderman labored. Apparently he (and possibly friends) had been teleporting into the room from a nearby cavern and making himself at home. I had to make an example of him.
2012-03-12_19.47.02.png
A fragment of my cow room, trapdoor stepping stone at the exit.
2012-03-12_19.47.36.png
My chicken room; safely limited with chests for all the eggs and a gap under the ladder so that chickens won't try to jump/climb it.
2012-03-12_19.48.02.png
The cow room and the chicken room's relationship to each other.
In other news, I learned that endermen can remove blocks that are diagonally adjacent to them, even if they can't see them or reach them without reaching through solid blocks.
2012-03-12_20.46.07.png
This explains some of the weird holes I see in landscapes sometimes; I knew they couldn't reach straight down but always mistakenly assumed they were limited to grabbing orthogonally.

Also, arrows fired through lava will now ignite mobs, just the same as magically fiery arrows.

I also just noticed these autochanges of text. They appear temporary, but they amuse.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:doth anytorso want 2 join I on Miner Apocalypse? 'tis a relatively new (about a month, I think) survival server inspired by Fallout, and it uses this custom Puppetmaster.

Basically it tries 2 make SMP more SSP-like. You will only talk 2 people within 50 blocks of you, though you will use radios and build antennas 2 send messages over long distances. You spawn randomly on the map (10k by 10k square, and it loops around), and then explore and find people 2 team up with. There be a few factions already... some be friendly and focus on building or defending others, and some raid people's bases and grief. (Dickish griefing be discouraged, unless 'tis in good faith.)

I have a small base already, and it would be cool 2 have a faction of xkcdites.

It looks interesting. How is the server lag?

Return to “Gaming”