Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bluejello

Re: Minecraft

Postby bluejello » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

Melic wrote:Wow tha mini MA island sound fun, I have an idea for it though. instead of everyone useing red wool, each dungeon builder uses a differnt color and we make an area near the NPC village set up with smooth stone bricks with signs of all the people that go there and when they finish a dungeon they can place that color wool on there block kinda lika a trophy. I dont thik if you have a dungeon there u should be able to use your color of wool on your trophy thats kinda cheating.

We already have the planes area to the west (according to the map) as the area where the dungeons will be set up. I have suggested the monument (think CTM stype maps) as a way to note what dungeons a person has done. (I claim the darkest blue one as mine :lol: ) However someone else will need to design it as I am not so good with creating good looking large buildings.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:33 am UTC

If no one else has any objections, I would like to claim dark green wool as my trophy color. That is assuming I ever figure out a decent trap setup...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 am UTC

I should figure out where that is and think of a trap idea sometime soon. And dibs on white wool! :)
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:55 am UTC

For the mini-MA can we use tnt? and can our trap kill the other person?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 am UTC

I am not sure about TNT traps, I do know that the creator needs to be able to complete the setup that they make. Mine will be slow to make as I will have limited access to minecraft for the immediate future.

Is a jump that I can only make around 2-4% of the time valid?

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:54 am UTC

Also, does our setup have to be auto-resetting? Because I have a few ideas that are passive traps, but probably can't be made without world edit, and quite a few more that are one-time only...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 am UTC

Kain wrote:Jesting, will the tree farm have support for each type of tree?

By support I mean adequate spacing between the different types, as well as maybe having scaffolding for the taller trees.

I am not sure, but I think large jungle trees give the best wood output both in terms of saplings and bonemeal used, and in terms of harvesting time (provided you have a way up to the top). However, they are probably not the best output in terms of space, and you can't rely on auto-growing, so maybe it would be better to set up a jungle tree specific tree farm close to the skeleton spawner?

It will support all types with a 32x32 area for each kind of tree. There'll be plenty of space to experiment with the jungle trees, I'm not sure what the ceiling should be on those so I'll have it essentially (though not actually) open topped.

Also, I have some cats back at the jungle area. The next time I'm on with someone I've gotta try and con them to go out there so that the cats load, and get teleported to me.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:53 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Kain wrote:Jesting, will the tree farm have support for each type of tree?

By support I mean adequate spacing between the different types, as well as maybe having scaffolding for the taller trees.

I am not sure, but I think large jungle trees give the best wood output both in terms of saplings and bonemeal used, and in terms of harvesting time (provided you have a way up to the top). However, they are probably not the best output in terms of space, and you can't rely on auto-growing, so maybe it would be better to set up a jungle tree specific tree farm close to the skeleton spawner?

It will support all types with a 32x32 area for each kind of tree. There'll be plenty of space to experiment with the jungle trees, I'm not sure what the ceiling should be on those so I'll have it essentially (though not actually) open topped.

Also, I have some cats back at the jungle area. The next time I'm on with someone I've gotta try and con them to go out there so that the cats load, and get teleported to me.

Oh, you headed back there? I would head there myself, but last time I got lost for 20 minutes in the nether on the way back...

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC

Kain wrote:Oh, you headed back there? I would head there myself, but last time I got lost for 20 minutes in the nether on the way back...
I'm progressively marking it a bit better every time I go there and back. I think that has to be the process with trips like that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

Hey, y'all wanna do me a favor and play on 216.135.68.242:25566 for a bit, see how it goes? There's no real world there at the moment, it's just a thing to dick around with and see what's what. (blalob, R'velt and Monkey should be able to access it on the backend as well)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:17 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hey, y'all wanna do me a favor and play on 216.135.68.242:25566 for a bit, see how it goes? There's no real world there at the moment, it's just a thing to dick around with and see what's what. (blalob, R'velt and Monkey should be able to access it on the backend as well)

I'm getting a "Can't reach server".

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:20 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Hey, y'all wanna do me a favor and play on 216.135.68.242:25566 for a bit, see how it goes? There's no real world there at the moment, it's just a thing to dick around with and see what's what. (blalob, R'velt and Monkey should be able to access it on the backend as well)

I'm getting a "Can't reach server".

same
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Hm. It is running a native 1.2.5....
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

I just switched my jar to 1.2.5 and its still giving me a "Can't reach server".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:33 pm UTC

Neat! Hang on then...

And with an edit, it "should" be fixed.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

works for me, although I did spawn at the bottom of an ocean.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

The server also works for me.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

Works, but I seem to have spawned in a pocket of air underground.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

Works for me, but I also spawned at the bottom of an ocean.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:Works for me, but I also spawned at the bottom of an ocean.

Ditto.

Also, what version is the main server running? I'm pretty much done with grad school, so time again.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Main server is running 1.2.3 (aka release of horrible bugs). Which confuses me that they offer that but not 1.2.4 or 5 since there was never an official bukkit rb of 1.2.3 and, uhh, we can tell that it shouldn't be an rb.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:20 am UTC

Yeah, new IP works for me too. Drops were dropping etc etc.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

So, funny coincidence on the new ST server: if you make a map at the workbench in the original building at spawn island (map 0), the entrance to the stronghold appears to be at the very top right pixel.
Also, who made map 1, and where is the workbench used for it? I would like to have a full collection of the maps, just because...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

I'm going to dump the Established Server's world directory into the test server. Which means it won't be bukkit, but I'm just wondering how it'll handle it.

*edit* World dumped. Consider nothing you do there to be permanent, so... if you ever wanted to blow up my zeppelin, now's your chance.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:26 am UTC

Has anyone seen Keo's melon? Here it is for those who haven't seen it. I would like to replicate it for ST's server, but I think it would kill it.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:33 am UTC

That needs to happen. Although the use of repeaters is completely unnecessary if you put the pistons one lower or redstone level 1 higher.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:04 am UTC

Had a wander around on the old-world-new-IP. Seems fine. Was worried that there was extreme lag at one point, but it was actually really quite non laggy and I had just had a happy landing.

re scaffolding for jungle tree harvesting: with the climbable vines automatically generated on the super size trees, all you'd really need is a stack of ladders and you'd be up top pretty quick, and they'd be there for the harvesting when you were finished with the tree.

re wool farm: I've gotta work out a better system for the last couple of levels. They leak like a sieve atm.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:09 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Had a wander around on the old-world-new-IP. Seems fine. Was worried that there was extreme lag at one point, but it was actually really quite non laggy and I had just had a happy landing.

re scaffolding for jungle tree harvesting: with the climbable vines automatically generated on the super size trees, all you'd really need is a stack of ladders and you'd be up top pretty quick, and they'd be there for the harvesting when you were finished with the tree.

re wool farm: I've gotta work out a better system for the last couple of levels. They leak like a sieve atm.

Well, the problem with that is moving from ladders to vines. Last I checked, it wouldn't treat them both in the same manner, so you couldnt actually go from one to the other. Maybe they changed that?

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:02 am UTC

They sort of do and sort of don't. The problem is that vines are 1 pixel thick, but ladders are 2. Thus, while you can always go from ladder to vine, sometimes you essentially get stuck trying to go from vine to ladder. If you back away from the wall slightly (easier done using shift), then there's no problem switching.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:22 am UTC

Kain wrote:Well, the problem with that is moving from ladders to vines. Last I checked, it wouldn't treat them both in the same manner, so you couldnt actually go from one to the other. Maybe they changed that?
Right you are, that is a problem. There's a collision box on the ladders again, and no collision box on the vines, so you place the ladder in front of you and you bump into it when you try to climb on it. There does seem to be some way to cludge a way up, but its the wrong approach.

[edit: this is explained better by the previous post.]

They (the big jungle trees) are pretty irregular in terms of height. Its hard to see how to make it work. If you leave them to cook for a while they'll have vines all the way up and down of course, but that's impractical at all times. Alternatively, have a series of ring shaped platforms at different heights that you can jump from onto the uppermost canopy?

They're currently the funnest trees to work with. That fun should be there in the final farming solution imo.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Kain wrote:Well, the problem with that is moving from ladders to vines. Last I checked, it wouldn't treat them both in the same manner, so you couldnt actually go from one to the other. Maybe they changed that?
Right you are, that is a problem. There's a collision box on the ladders again, and no collision box on the vines, so you place the ladder in front of you and you bump into it when you try to climb on it. There does seem to be some way to cludge a way up, but its the wrong approach.

[edit: this is explained better by the previous post.]

They (the big jungle trees) are pretty irregular in terms of height. Its hard to see how to make it work. If you leave them to cook for a while they'll have vines all the way up and down of course, but that's impractical at all times. Alternatively, have a series of ring shaped platforms at different heights that you can jump from onto the uppermost canopy?

They're currently the funnest trees to work with. That fun should be there in the final farming solution imo.

You can make a spiral staircase carved into the tree, and then just chop down the staircase on your way down. That's the convenient thing about a 2*2 tree.

But otherwise, if you use ladders you should have no trouble farming the tree, because you should be going from ladder to vine at all times, assuming you cut straight down.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:You can make a spiral staircase carved into the tree, and then just chop down the staircase on your way down. That's the convenient thing about a 2*2 tree.

I realised that this was possible but everytime I've started the actual tree chopping, my mind has ended up in tree chopping mode, and I just chop as high as I can, which is dumb, I know, but I'd like my build to take into account these sorts of brain fades.

Vieto wrote:But otherwise, if you use ladders you should have no trouble farming the tree, because you should be going from ladder to vine at all times, assuming you cut straight down.

Yes, if you just start at the bottom, go to the top, then cut it all down in one go, then its no problem. But, given that some trees have upwards of two stacks of logs in them, its reasonable to expect people to sometimes run out of axe uses, and then they'll climb down, and wanting to climb back up, probably try to use the side they already tried, and be rudely surprised.

I suppose that's a corner case that is ignorable, but I'll probably build the jumping scaffolding anyway, because its more fun.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:19 pm UTC

Any chance of a permanent migration of the old ST map to the new to the new IP sometime soon?

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:42 pm UTC

I am now stuck in the nether in the new server... also the nether did NOT get copied over apparently.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hey, y'all wanna do me a favor and play on 216.135.68.242:25566 for a bit, see how it goes?
Works for me. Teeny bit slower rezzing things, weather's on (yay!), /kill works, /settime doesn't, starving to death is off (difficulty easy? boo!), the nether isn't there (already reported), and lava actually makes things burn (hooray!)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:55 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Hey, y'all wanna do me a favor and play on 216.135.68.242:25566 for a bit, see how it goes?
Works for me. Teeny bit slower rezzing things, weather's on (yay!), /kill works, /settime doesn't, starving to death is off (difficulty easy? boo!), the nether isn't there (already reported), and lava actually makes things burn (hooray!)

Rezzing??

Anyway, the "new" IP is still hosted by the same company, so it'd actually be easier to switch the old server to plainvanilla minecraft rather than Bukkit. The only thing we'd need to do would be to move the "new" world back to the old server so we didn't lose any progress. I'm pretty sure I don't have proper FTP access to the new server (I'll check tonight) so we may need Talon to actually do that.

Alternatively we could just switch the old server over and rebuild. I'll go with whatever the community decides.

In other news I've been working on humane iron golem farms to populate Plains City with guardians. The best way to go is to have the testificate housing (artificial village) some distance from the city center and pipe the golems in via canals. Otherwise the iron golems attach themselves to the village and don't wander far.

My first idea was to make a cubicle farm, but the Testificates really need some entertainment. (And cube farms are far from humane, even though they fit in to Minecraft's "work simulator" theme.) So should it be an arcade, a sports bar, A bowling ally or something else entirely?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

The point of the test server right now is to prove it works. What had been going on was one (VM) server was running several servers...however, if one server did something nutty and crashed the Minecraft jar, all of them on that VM would go down.

The new way is that every Minecraft server is on it's own VM server. While it all calls back to the same jar, if one server crashes it's Minecraft jar, it is the only one to die.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:59 pm UTC

I'm in the process of downloading the nether from SecondTalon's original server, once that's done I'll attempt to upload it to the test server. Let me know if you had anything important in the test nether to replace.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

I managed to upload about 1/3 of the nether from the original server before running into the limitations of the new server. This should hopefully be enough to allow anyone trapped there to escape. I'm going to PM Talon to ask for a full nether upload from the old server.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:43 pm UTC

So, um, which server, if any, is currently the one that we can use to build stuff without worrying about them being rolled back in the near to moderate future?

Return to “Gaming”