Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xerillum

Re: Minecraft

Postby Xerillum » Sun May 06, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

I would be for it, except for the lava starting fires again part. As far as I can remember, I don't have anything like that, but other people might.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun May 06, 2012 3:39 pm UTC

So what else do we lose by going vanilla?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun May 06, 2012 4:05 pm UTC

Steax wrote:So what else do we lose by going vanilla?

Worldedit and worldguard.

So lava will start fires as was already mentioned, and ops won't be able to magic up huge structures with the wooden axe. We also lose the lava/fire/tnt restriction for newcomers.

So basically we lose a few anti griefing measures and some convienences for ops. As we're still on a whitelist and we're not some hugely popular server we may not have to worry much about griefing. (hopefully)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun May 06, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

I imagine roos would be the only one to have significant issues there. And ridiculously awesome cities aside, it could make IWBTS harder to make. Somewhat.

I don't think grieving is a huge issue at the moment, though.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun May 06, 2012 5:11 pm UTC

Thanks for letting me on to the white-list! I really appreciate it!!! :D

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun May 06, 2012 5:27 pm UTC

You'll want one of us to take you along to Pandora, where our newer settlement lies. You can enjoy the facilities and infrastructure already on the original continent, but it's less populated. You can also attempt the journey yourself, it's quite safe given the nether trolley system. You'll pass a place called "Narnia Nature Reserve" and another named "Waterworld". You probably can't make the journey on foot, since it's really far away and involves crossing a huge ocean...

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun May 06, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

I just wonder, I found a server IP in this thread a long ago and I hear people talking about this "Ma"... I just wonder what is the IP for the server that everyone plays on.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun May 06, 2012 5:55 pm UTC

The IP we play on is on the first page. Miner Apocalypse was another server were active on for a short period of time.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun May 06, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

What patch/version is the server running?

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun May 06, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

I think straight vanilla would probably be a good idea, as it would avoid this whole 'everyone on a different version' issue that seems to keep our numbers down...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun May 06, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

Yeah, atm its running 1.2.3, which is a couple of versions back now.

If we go with vanilla, will we still be able to settime? I assume not. That'd be a bit of an annoyance, but not too terrible.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Mostlynormal

Postby Mostlynormal » Mon May 07, 2012 3:12 am UTC

Thanks for letting me in! I'm currently on my third trip to Pandora thanks to forgetting to set my spawn. This last time I died I managed to lose an iron sword from the "emergency swords" chest, I'll try to replace that as soon as possible.

Pandora city sure is impressive. I'm still not done exploring it!

Edit: never mind on the sword, to my surprise it was still there when I arrived.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon May 07, 2012 3:42 am UTC

Yeah, dropped items tend to stick around a bit, given that they only despawn if the area they were dropped in is loaded for more than five minutes or whatever.

I think settime is actually quite overrated: we have so many spider grinders that we could probably afford to cover pandora with beds, though more reasonably we could just offer free beds to everyone and ask that everyone use them to sleep, like we used to when we were trying to stop rainstorms.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon May 07, 2012 4:19 am UTC

Pandora City is actually quite horribly underbuilt. Feel free to build whatever!

Also, don't worry about things like iron swords. We've a treasury and all that, it's fine. Also, while many of us are still away due to version issues, feel free to treat the map as a giant playground. We're not really strict about who builds what and where, just be sensible!

Settime is useful but sometimes I do wish we do without it. However, I hope the spawning issues get fixed by then...

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon May 07, 2012 4:28 am UTC

Is it ok to run away a couple thousands blocks from spawn in order to find a jungle biome?

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon May 07, 2012 4:48 am UTC

halgdp wrote:Is it ok to run away a couple thousands blocks from spawn in order to find a jungle biome?

Hehehe, that brings back memories :)

(I would assume that yeah, it is still quite fine to do that, though I can give you the coordinates to a jungle biome if you would rather not explore).

Edit: So, I got back on the server, decided to act as though I was just starting out, by leaving everything back at my base and going back to spawn. I set of east, seeing as there is that giant ocean to the west and all, and found myself a village in 1.2 lands. In the blacksmith's chest were three apples (yay, food!), an iron helmet (meh, I could kill zombies for this) and of all things, 3 diamond. I seem to be off to a good start.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon May 07, 2012 5:29 am UTC

Kain wrote:
halgdp wrote:Is it ok to run away a couple thousands blocks from spawn in order to find a jungle biome?

Hehehe, that brings back memories :)

(I would assume that yeah, it is still quite fine to do that, though I can give you the coordinates to a jungle biome if you would rather not explore).

Edit: So, I got back on the server, decided to act as though I was just starting out, by leaving everything back at my base and going back to spawn. I set of east, seeing as there is that giant ocean to the west and all, and found myself a village in 1.2 lands. In the blacksmith's chest were three apples (yay, food!), an iron helmet (meh, I could kill zombies for this) and of all things, 3 diamond. I seem to be off to a good start.

I'm not very good at building so I'd like to delay that some XD

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon May 07, 2012 6:25 am UTC

Don't worry about replacing the swords, I'm getting a fair few of those from killing zombies and I've got no use for them, so I'm throwing them in the emergency sword chest (diamond's not heaps better like it used to be, but its still an edge that I want).

I'm willing to give up settime for different coloured planks.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon May 07, 2012 6:53 am UTC

I too am willing to give up settime for the new planks.

Next time I'm on, I'll finally get around to building Pandora's monorail/subway.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 07, 2012 7:21 am UTC

Steax wrote:Also, don't worry about things like iron swords. We've a treasury and all that, it's fine.

Does anyone else think it's a little weird that iron is farmable now? That seems to go against the spirit of Minecraft, a bit...

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon May 07, 2012 7:29 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Steax wrote:Also, don't worry about things like iron swords. We've a treasury and all that, it's fine.

Does anyone else think it's a little weird that iron is farmable now? That seems to go against the spirit of Minecraft, a bit...

I like it actually. It means things like leaf bloacks are also farmable (no unlimited iron => no unlimited shears => no unlimited leaf blocks), plus the iron shovels are nice, like a suggestion that you should mine out the dirt and gravel you come across.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 am UTC

Indeed. With the removal of the far lands there is a definite calcuable limit to how much iron can exist in a given minecraft world.

I'd hate to run out.

Anyway, if there are no objections we'll switch over to plain vanilla either tonight (if my connection is cooperative) or tomorrow morning.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon May 07, 2012 11:49 am UTC

The drop rate is low enough to not make it unbalanced IMO. It's not excessively higher. Iron Golems, on the other hand, need to get their spawn fixed, at least to a certain rate.

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon May 07, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Since there are less anti greifing measures we could implement some RL griefing deterrents, such as to get white listed you have to give one of the ops your address and if you are caught greifing a trusted XKCD Mincraft "kicker" will vist your house and kick you (IRL.) Ill volinteer for north texas jurisdiction.
They call me Mr. Piman

New User

Postby New User » Mon May 07, 2012 4:54 pm UTC

I'll only accept that if the punishment for griefing is to send someone to their house with a lava bucket, and also destroy their bed.

hatten

Postby hatten » Mon May 07, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

Melic wrote:Since there are less anti greifing measures we could implement some RL griefing deterrents, such as to get white listed you have to give one of the ops your address and if you are caught greifing a trusted XKCD Mincraft "kicker" will vist your house and kick you (IRL.) Ill volinteer for north texas jurisdiction.

I'll volunteer to kick my lilbro!

Gatchaman

Postby Gatchaman » Mon May 07, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

Hey, could someone whitelist "TheMightyBilly" for me please? She's my IRL friend and wants to learn how to play! I told her this is a nice server (although I'm not on much anymore..) and we can meet up here/ she can play here. Thanks! ^_^

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 pm UTC

hatten wrote:
Melic wrote:Since there are less anti greifing measures we could implement some RL griefing deterrents, such as to get white listed you have to give one of the ops your address and if you are caught greifing a trusted XKCD Mincraft "kicker" will vist your house and kick you (IRL.) Ill volinteer for north texas jurisdiction.

I'll volunteer to kick my lilbro!

I can handle the north east.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon May 07, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

I could handle the south east, if by handle you mean "ship live bobcats to"
(Okay, not really, but then I still doubt that we will have to worry about griefing all that much.)

I still vote that we start up a new world, and leave the old one as a historic site, but of course that would require two servers, so...

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon May 07, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

put up the last world for download? that way we can have a new world without losing the old one completely.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 pm UTC

eculc wrote:put up the last world for download? that way we can have a new world without losing the old one completely.

ooh, that would be nice: plus, if anyone had some unfinished projects and went about finishing them in the downloaded world, they could then upload the save to show off what they had planned...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 08, 2012 12:06 am UTC

I don't know about a new world. We can always find new territory, and I feel bad for people with vast incomplete projects (say, ganalef).

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue May 08, 2012 12:58 am UTC

Steax wrote:I don't know about a new world. We can always find new territory, and I feel bad for people with vast incomplete projects (say, ganalef).

I was more concerned with things like the end. Do we know whether or not we have strongholds?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 08, 2012 1:09 am UTC

We know where at least one is, but it was before end portals. =/

Also, welcome new Pandoran citizens! Feel free to help yourself at our various farms and facilities.

I think I worked out the mob spawning issue. They just have higher light tolerance, and the "stay under shade" AI is a bit too pervasive. They refuse to move an inch out of the shade, and just one block (may it be 200 meters above) counts as "shade".

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue May 08, 2012 1:49 am UTC

TheMonkey made an end portal and hid it somewhere. Dunno where. IIRC at least one person posted that they had found it.

The backup is running now. Once it finishes we'll switchover to 1.2.5 vanilla. Whee!

Upgrade complete. the server is now on 1.2.5.

If there are any issues let us know.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue May 08, 2012 4:48 am UTC

The nether wasn't transferred over. I suppose that is kinda an issue...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 08, 2012 5:06 am UTC

... either the nether didn't move, or it somehow shifted, because I'm getting thrown into a portal normally associated with roos' instead of our usual one.

Also, looks like zombies will basically just break doors for sport.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue May 08, 2012 6:11 am UTC

My new hobby: Hilbert curves. White wool is 0th-order, green is 1st-order. (I'm pretty sure I made this right...)
Attachments
2012-05-07_23.05.58.png

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue May 08, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Yeah, I also would like the nether back. There's a lot of hours in the whole trolley thing.

Steax wrote:Also, looks like zombies will basically just break doors for sport.

Do you mean that they don't need a player behind them to make them break it down, they'll just notice an unbroken door and break it?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 am UTC

It appears they will simply break down any door that gets in their path. Which can be pretty bad combined with their "get in the shade" AI. I also noticed a few other glitches.

2012-05-08_14.17.01.png
They seem to always pick the closest route, even if there's a door. Apparently doors are given very low penalties in pathfinding; it still prefers the door over the newly built gap.

2012-05-08_14.19.07.png
The iron golems ignore this zombie. However, the moment it breaks through, the golems immediately recognize and go after it.

2012-05-08_14.21.00.png
This one simply wants out, and it has nothing to chase. The moment I break any of its walls, it also breaks free.

Return to “Gaming”