Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Fractangle

Re: Minecraft

Postby Fractangle » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 am UTC

I recently got my skyblock plot (YAY, THANK YOU! :D ), and it's going pretty well for me. My question now is this: As I'm usually out or close to out of food on my skyblock, how should I return to it? It would feel like cheating to return with more hunger points than I left with, but I don't really fancy sprintjumping around every time I want to work on my skyblock. Should I just toss melon slices overboard or something? Or does it not really matter that much?

Also, is there a good way to actively search for dungeons? Not just wandering caves or digging feather-mines like I would in search of $mineral, but a specific find-me-a-dungeon technique?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am UTC

It doesn't really matter that much, honestly. Hunger is relatively easy to manipulate, you could use a slew of ways to restore hunger anyway on a skyblock. Glad you're having fun!

Expect some new challenges this week, including some interesting ones I'm sure you'll like.

There are some "tricks" to finding dungeons, but they're not really easy. The cheatiest way would be to visit SSP creative on the same seed and bore holes down every 5 meters or so.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am UTC

Steax wrote:It doesn't really matter that much, honestly. Hunger is relatively easy to manipulate, you could use a slew of ways to restore hunger anyway on a skyblock. Glad you're having fun!

Expect some new challenges this week, including some interesting ones I'm sure you'll like.

Yay!!

Steax wrote:There are some "tricks" to finding dungeons, but they're not really easy. The cheatiest way would be to visit SSP creative on the same seed with a X-ray texture pack.

TFTFY

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:45 am UTC

Steax wrote:I also plan to create a direct portal to the settlement spawner and set up brewing for splash healing potions. Monkey, how's your spawner's EXP mode going? If it's good, I'll redirect efforts there instead.

Melic wrote:I set up a enchanting room and ender chest at monkeys floating spawner, The spawner doesnt seem to be as fast as the spawner by Plymouth Rock though.

Make sure that it's running - sometimes the redstone gets stuck when the chunk gets reloaded.

However, I've noticed with 1.3, it seems to go through cycles of very few and sudden massive amounts of monsters, with a period of at most of 5 minutes. Must investigate further.

blalobw wrote:
Steax wrote:
Steax wrote:There are some "tricks" to finding dungeons, but they're not really easy. The cheatiest way would be to visit SSP creative on the same seed and use MCEdit.

TFTFY

FTFY

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

I found some holes in the ground near Pandora that had sticky pistons with glowstone attached and a lever to make the piston extend and put the player's head in the glowstone, which lets you see through the ground. You could try making one of those.

Oodinium

Postby Oodinium » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 pm UTC

Greetings fellow Minecraftians!

I was informed that this was a particularly lovely server to be playing on. As I have had the near obsessive desire to CREATE boiling under my skin for a small while now, I would like to begin constructing wonders of epic proportions.

Might I find my way onto your Whitelist? It would be much appreciated if I could!

Thank you kindly!

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Hmm, by the sounds of it, there aren't really any non-cheaty-feeling ways to actively dungeon-hunt. Ah well, back to caving!

Also, a couple friends of mine want to join the server: Dr_Crusher and oscar_spider. Could they please get whitelisted? Thanks! :)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

Well, you have to do it by sound. Such as, mine towards the monsters. I found three dungeons when I was clearing out the Mines of Moria in order to build the Diamond Throne of Narnia.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:24 am UTC

Has anyone else been having lag/disconnect issues? It's been acting up for me all day, on 2 different computers/internet connections.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 am UTC

I have had issues as well. Also online other people did comment that they were having issues as well.

On a different note, I have been mucking about with TNT cannons in creative and seem to be having a glitch. Where on the 2nd/3rd/4th firing, the front most block of the charge doesn't drop into the water properly and thereby blows up the cannon. Which when you are trying to build an auto loading version leads to an enormous explosion. Anyone found this problem before?

I think it has something to do with the block not falling properly so I have tried to put in more guide blocks which seems to have made it more reliable but it still occasionally does it.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm UTC

I'm not entirely sure how those are made, but can't you use obsidian to tnt proof the cannon?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:51 pm UTC

All TNT cannons manage to fail spectacularly in one way or another, especially in SMP. Heck, once mine broke because an enderman picked up a piece of TNT and promptly placed it next to live redstone.

Try to make sure there's a full row of "guide" blocks to make sure it falls into the water correctly.

Obsidian wouldn't break, but it doesn't contain the explosion; any fragile stuff (seriously, redstone is the #1 most fragile thing EVER) and explosive stuff will still get triggered.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:03 pm UTC

Ok I think I have fixed that problem, the issue was I didnt have a block at the front so it fell to far forward and got caught on the shot. Thanks for that Steax.

Im now trying to build an auto loading system and have made a lot of v large holes in my creative world. I keep accidentally setting off the tnt in the reloading system.

Edit (to avoid double posting) Roos, I have built a portal to my house which of course was just off your nether route. I hope you don't mind. If you do mind I will change it.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 pm UTC

My nephew asked me to make him a custom skyblock, here is what I came up with.

It's not a hardcore skyblock, in that you're given a bunch of stuff you'd not usually get, but you should be able to do more stuff with it eventually.

zerotwo

Postby zerotwo » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 am UTC

Hey I have a friend who would like to join me on the XKCD server! She tried to post to the forums here but it's been stuck in approval for a few days, is it inappropriate of me to post anyway?

The name is Odinum, and for what it's worth, she's not crazy (much) and definitely not a griefer and if she wrecks anything I KNOW WHERE SHE LIVES.

Thanks, anyone who sees this! :)

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 am UTC

I keep getting connection resets and end of streams, but 1.3 seems to be working okay aside from that.
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:22 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

zerotwo wrote:Hey I have a friend who would like to join me on the XKCD server! She tried to post to the forums here but it's been stuck in approval for a few days, is it inappropriate of me to post anyway?

The name is Odinum, and for what it's worth, she's not crazy (much) and definitely not a griefer and if she wrecks anything I KNOW WHERE SHE LIVES.

Thanks, anyone who sees this! :)

Added! Sorry I missed your first request.

Have fun!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

zerotwo wrote:...She tried to post to the forums here but it's been stuck in approval for a few days, is it inappropriate of me to post anyway?

Sorry about that, I've had some stuff that's taken more of my attention from the forums than I'd like.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:06 pm UTC

So, crashed server is crashed.

Also, I found an underground mine and giant cavern. Is that indicative of anything useful? I labeled a path to the mine.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

It's back up, but when I log in as brianblox I lose my connection. When I use my blalobw account it's fine.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:30 am UTC

Sand! Sand! Get your sand here!

The sand machine is now in full swing. Find it behind the city clock, near the wool farm and communarium. Hit the lever next to the signs, get the cart rolling, and wait.

Produces 20 pieces of sand per loop, or a 13~14 stacks a minute. I'm pretty sure this is well within server-crashing capability if left unattended, so please don't let it run for more than a couple minutes. I may add a failsafe redstone clock to prevent this.

Working on a way to auto-gather everything to one point now.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:54 am UTC

Steax wrote:Sand! Sand! Get your sand here!

The sand machine is now in full swing. Find it behind the city clock, near the wool farm and communarium. Hit the lever next to the signs, get the cart rolling, and wait.

Produces 20 pieces of sand per loop, or a 13~14 stacks a minute. I'm pretty sure this is well within server-crashing capability if left unattended, so please don't let it run for more than a couple minutes. I may add a failsafe redstone clock to prevent this.

Working on a way to auto-gather everything to one point now.

Do so, back when the candy factory was in operation, we made a sandmachine and nearly destroyed the world. We had to send in a rescue party to pick up the wayward sand before anything could operate again.

Also, the Candy Factory was completely legit and if you disagree you can talk to Scallel's tnt collection.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:59 am UTC

Yeah, I have no intention of letting this particular machine run amok. Notably, it glitches when it rains, and all the sand breaks (including the cloned ones), so it does self-defeat. I may also let the collection trench pop open every 5 minutes while in operation, throwing the sand in lava.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:46 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:... Candy Factory was completely legit and if you disagree you can talk to Scallel's tnt collection.

I have talked to Scallel's TNT collection in the past. It told me that you and Scallel were bad people, and asked me to hid it where you could never light it on fire again...

I don't remember if Scallel ever found the TNT, though I presume he did, given that my village was never demolished...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:55 am UTC

On the subject of sand machines...

In normal operating conditions, they can generate quite a bit of lag (to say nothing of abnormal conditions). That said, I'm just gonna lay out some ground rules.

On building your own machine:

1. Please don't build your own.

2. Please stop working on that one you're probably building anyways.

3. Please don't make be pull the bad cop routine when you crash the server building your own.

On using the heavily-failsafed Pandora machine:

1. Do not AFK at the machine.

2. DO NOT AFK AT THE MACHINE.

3. Try not to log off or leave without shutting off the machine either.

4. Read the documentation at the plant first.

5. Do not invite creepers in for plant inspections.

6. Make sure to pick up any loose sand when you're done.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:37 am UTC

And if you feel the need to destroy and part of the machine to stop it from operating, do so. We can fix broken redstone, but we can't fix a broken server.

The machine will now fill up 27 stacks with sand in 1 minute 15 seconds. Which means a full 5 minutes for an inventory of sandstone.

Also, don't rely on failsafes. Yes, the machine should shut off after 5 minutes, but that doesn't mean one should leave without turning it off. Always turn it off and double-check to see that it is indeed off.

Edit: I've added another failsafe. The cart clocks are now attached to an AND gate with the outputs, so they require the lever (and 5-minute failsafe) to be enabled for the machine to turn on. Previously, sometimes the cart would fail to stop after signal was cut, resulting in the machine staying in a feedback loop instead. Now, even if the cart clock continues to cycle, no signal will be output.

MaFraL

Postby MaFraL » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

And to think I'm just off the coast slowly dredging up the seafloor for sand while you guys exploit your way to a man made mount everest of sand. Meh, my way's fun anyway. Just don't cause a lag spike while I'm diving!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:43 pm UTC

But... mother nature!

Additional failsafes added.
- Flashing tower to show when the plant is in action.
- Stop button near collection point.
- Color-coded buttons if signs blank out. Red is off, green is on.
- Second floor will not dupe if cart jams (and signal is off). Some pistons will fire, but it won't overload the server. Similar to the first floor's AND protection, but can't get that on the second floor yet.

We now have 3 remaining glitches:
- Sand disappearing from cloning pistons when server lags. No solution to this; just stop, reload, and start again.
- Carts not moving upon machine start, requiring manual nudge. We need to test other rail configurations.
- Sand falling past trapdoors. Should be fixable by a second set of trapdoors under the first, that pulse at a delay.

Also, chris lined the road with furnaces. Glass for everyone!

Melic

Postby Melic » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:04 pm UTC

I have been meaning to post this for a while. The Dwarven ruin ,of Ankor A Zharr, I have been uncovering on Pandora is no where near fully excavated however I have opened up a hallway that looks to have been lined with many houses of indiscriminate sizes and architectural design. Any one is welcome to come and discover a Dwarven house of there own. The hallway is the second one to your left after you enter the main chamberwith the lava pillars and there are some tools and materials to help you with rebuilding the Dwarven home of your desire. The quickest way to Ankor A Zharr is through the nether( the path branches off the road to Rifton) but I plan on connecting the Dwarven train station I found with any across Pandora that will let me. Feel free to look around the rest of the city when ever you want to, if you need any other materials or have any questions P.M. me here or ask when im on the server.
They call me Mr. Piman

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:... Candy Factory was completely legit and if you disagree you can talk to Scallel's tnt collection.

I have talked to Scallel's TNT collection in the past. It told me that you and Scallel were bad people, and asked me to hid it where you could never light it on fire again...

I don't remember if Scallel ever found the TNT, though I presume he did, given that my village was never demolished...

We were very good men. We saved a bunch of small people and let them chastise children for a living.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

Melic

I may have caused some damage where the path splits from rifton. I got attacked by a Ghast, I did try and fix it all.

I did wonder what it was though!

EDIT I had a look and its awesome!!

Also started my house.

Ps I don't think chris is using the third platform in mine and roos station anymore so you could grab that?

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:24 am UTC

Ill do that Wam thankyou
They call me Mr. Piman

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

Phew! I'm back and I've finally read almost every comment posted since I left...

1.3.... Uhm...
WOW! =D And those armored zombies in the future and mind blowing creepers (literally) today! I finally can complete almost every building I've done so far in this world! =)

EDIT: And I've got a new computer (not really new, but kind of better I believe, and my brother wanted his computer that I used when he moved out.) and one more screen!~la lala lala la la~la! =P

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

Anyone knows how to fix this... =(
Attachments
Minecraft Error. 1.3.2.png

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Check your video card drivers. Minecraft can't find yours. At least, that's what it looks like to me.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

Is anyone else having trouble getting on the server? I was on a couple hours ago and I got kicked off and now its saying Can't reach server.
They call me Mr. Piman

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:06 am UTC

Server crashed with a few interesting bugs. I've got it back up, but be careful.

P.S. initial testing seems to suggest the server works fine on 1.3.1 and 1.3.2, so feel free to update.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:57 am UTC

Anyone that has seen and know what the hell has happened to my freaking building?!
Attachments
2012-08-18_11.52.09.png

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:23 am UTC

Looks like you got a lightning strike induced fire, judging from how the top half is burnt (griefers tend to target the more easily accessible parts of a building).
Of course, this presumes that lighting can spread fires on the server (which seems rather likely).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Looks like you got a lightning strike induced fire, judging from how the top half is burnt (griefers tend to target the more easily accessible parts of a building).
Of course, this presumes that lighting can spread fires on the server (which seems rather likely).

Plus we tend to lack griefers.

Return to “Gaming”