Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

halgdp

Re: Minecraft

Postby halgdp » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:39 am UTC

I believe I borrowed someones Fortune 3 pick for 2-3 weeks ago... Before I went on two long trips in real-life. I believe it's Fortune 3 Efficency 4 (maybe 3) Unbreaking 3.
Could be ChrisPKale's but I don't remember, maybe JakeStile's... =I
Anyway, I don't need it for the moment.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:I believe I borrowed someones Fortune 3 pick for 2-3 weeks ago... Before I went on two long trips in real-life. I believe it's Fortune 3 Efficency 4 (maybe 3) Unbreaking 3.
Could be ChrisPKale's but I don't remember, maybe JakeStile's... =I
Anyway, I don't need it for the moment.
I don't think it's mine, but if it is, just keep it.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:16 am UTC

If people were wondering where I was, I was on the West Coast Trail. No Internet access for a bit over a week didn't leave me with withdraw syndromes, so yay? Did gave a dream about minecraft though...

Guess I shall perish the thoughts of a sand generator. Bad things happen apparently :lol:
Last edited by bluejello on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:21 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 am UTC

I remember a few people talking about an idea from a few pictures and a design, but I can't seem to search for it. It was a big hole in the ocean with a cylinder in the middle and people living all over the surface of the walls. Does anyone remember that? If so, links?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:34 am UTC

I'll lose internet access for a while again now. So sand machine maintenance will fall on the others. Bluejello, the city sand machine is quite reliable (at worst you just have to break a few sand blocks and replace some sand) as long as you don't AFK and keep a close eye on it. And considering you can't out-craft smooth sandstone from the machine's output, I see no reason for anyone to AFK there...

Jospehine, I think that was Magna's project.

As for hal's fire... Well, lets just say the occurrence of known malicious griefing on the server (in recent times, at least) is basically zero, which makes lightning damage a far bigger possibility.

Also, enchantments are really easy to get now, so fortune is less of a luxury.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:02 am UTC

As for hal's fire... Well, lets just say the occurrence of known malicious griefing on the server (in recent times, at least) is basically zero, which makes lightning damage a far bigger possibility.

Ya, I guess so. But anyway I've finished repairing it, and now it's at least finished (not like last time) now that I have the different slabs. :D

Also, enchantments are really easy to get now, so fortune is less of a luxury.

I really agree! Right after I posted that I had someones fortune pick I got one myself...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 am UTC

Oh yeah... I'll start construction of that soon. I'm building up a stockpile of TNT right now. (Donations will be appreciated, of course.)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:50 am UTC

You will want to hoard massive amounts of sand from the generator while you still can. Then just camp out monkey's spawner for a while, if it's working well it should take a few hours of afk to get an inventory of gunpowder. Put together, this should give you some 10 stacks of TNT a day... If you afk for half a day or so.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 am UTC

magna, you should also stockpile leaves, for proper tnt spacing...
also, when you get around to blasting that whole, I'll donate whatever tnt I have to it...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:50 am UTC

Wow... I never believed it would go this fast to have posted 100 times... And this is the only place I write on...

And, what is this all about blowing things up? I've never really been near when something has been blown up...

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:29 pm UTC

Uhm... Since when did squids like spending time with cows... Or are they just trying to merge with them to become seacows or... Squidcows?
Attachments
2012-08-20_14.24.23.png

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

Woah whats that thing next to the sheep tower?

And also, that is one adventurous sheep.
Attachments
2012-08-20_21.44.59.png
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

That would be the sand generator. Take all you want, read the book by the control room, and hope it doesn't get patched.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:32 pm UTC

Can my brother get access to the server? He uses the account name "killuforphun" and shouldn't break anything.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:Can my brother get access to the server? He uses the account name "killuforphun" and shouldn't break anything.

While I don't think that'll be a problem.... "killuforphun"..?

You got a couple of friends who want on too? "griefsforkicks" and "burnsyourshitdownthenlaughs"?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

I think he started using that name on some kind of first person shooter a few years ago and kept reusing it...

Edit:
Magnanimous, what do you (or Josephine) mean by hole in the ocean? I think what I'm doing now is pretty similar, but I'm doing it by dumping sand and gravel instead of using TNT (so probably slower). I don't know what I'm actually going to build on the seafloor once I get enough space either.

Spoiler:

wam

Postby wam » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:59 pm UTC

Rirez, I have taken the last free skyblock.
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

MaFraL: I'm hoping to construct something like this, by digging out an island instead of building my own. The plan is to build it right here... I have a base there right now, and I've been exploring/mining those caves.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

What would be your thoughts on seeing about raising a large area of ocean by surrounding it with a high mountain range, perhaps getting terraforming help from ops? I get the feeling that this would look by far the best if it extended down at the very least 64 blocks, and optimally more like 128 blocks. And you shouldn't be able to see any of the surrounding walls from the ocean. Hell, I might whip this up in MCEdit right now.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:13 am UTC

Well, it's not like we have a lack of ocean...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:47 am UTC

Josephine wrote:What would be your thoughts on seeing about raising a large area of ocean by surrounding it with a high mountain range, perhaps getting terraforming help from ops? I get the feeling that this would look by far the best if it extended down at the very least 64 blocks, and optimally more like 128 blocks. And you shouldn't be able to see any of the surrounding walls from the ocean. Hell, I might whip this up in MCEdit right now.

Yeah, that actually sounds like a pretty good idea. I'll look for a stretch of deep ocean with a raised part in the middle... Maybe something like this, but more extreme. I'd rather have mod help as a last resort.

EDIT: Never mind, I see what you mean. I'd rather have this level with the main ocean, but that does kind of limit the depth. The ocean height is 61(?), so that only leaves 55 until bedrock.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

Is it just me that's taking random damage from time to time on the server? It's been really laggy lately I must say...

Spoiler:
ImageUhm... Dafuq?!

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:Is it just me that's taking random damage from time to time on the server? It's been really laggy lately I must say...

Spoiler:
ImageUhm... Dafuq?!

I'm not on the server, but if it's still running 1.3, that has a few 'random damage out of nowhere' bugs - getting pushed into blocks and taking damage, things like that.
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

er, is the server at 1.3.2 or 1.3.1? because I am currently using 1.3.1 and can access. would like to know before updating.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:01 am UTC

both work, blue
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:41 am UTC

so, getting some lava for my sky block I came across... something I think was suppost to be found later, and the spoiler was to be found first. Ok, I just found more to this riddle, a part that has to go before what I found...
Spoiler:
2012-08-21_20.29.21.png
below the sky block challange area

spoiler about what it contains and what I did.
Spoiler:
I pulled the lever, then suddenly blazes. I managed to close the door before any escaped, and quickly poured some water into it from a hole I made in the roof. (repaired it) found a book inside. if you want more info about later things just say

On a unrelated note, I lost all my villagers for skyblock and am requesting two more spawn eggs. The fire of BlueJello's unnamed village #2 killed most of them, and the rest committed suicide by jumping off... also replaced my lost lava.

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 am UTC

At the monastery, there is a blacksmith with 4 offers: Buying GOLD INGOTS, selling DIAMOND SHOVELS, selling CHAIN PANTS, selling DIAMOND PICKS Please, don't get him to remove the diamond pickaxe offer!! We should stock up on emeralds, and buy many, many diamond picks. I personally have enough emeralds for 42 picks, and I'd like to get at least 50 total for my own use. As I'm guessing others will probably want picks too, we need to 1) put together a big stockpile of emeralds and 2) work as a team to buy as many picks as possible. One person trading, the other storing picks in chest as the trader tosses them onto the ground. For reference, the picks are 11 emeralds each, and I have 51 emerald blocks, and a handful of plain emeralds.

On a related note, Bona and I have been building a reed farm right across the street from the monastery. It's not finished, but it's definitely a large part of the way there. I'll make that my top priority, so the paper farming (and thus emerald farming) can be in full swing! Speaking of emeralds and farming, are there any large-scale wheat fields (ideally with a water harvesting system)? I built a smallish one by my island (yield of around 4 stacks of wheat I think? I don't remember exactly), but it's not really enough for proper emerald production. I have, however, been doing lots of bonemeal-powered wheat farming, which is currently my most reliable source of emeralds. That being said, a water-harvested wheat field would be more efficient, as I would only have to plant the seeds, not grow and punch them as well. Add in the fact that it could be growing while I bonemeal myself some wheat, and that could be a very good setup to have. I know a reed farm is probably a faster source of emeralds, long-term, but making a large enough one that auto-harvests would be far more pistons/iron/redstone than I really want to invest. If no large-scale wheat farm exists in the Pandora area, I may end up building one upstairs from or nearby the monastery reed farm.

Non sequitur: I finally finished the boring straight part of my 1.3-lands-rail-to-a-jungle-biome! I have no idea what I'm going to make for the station at that end though...

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 am UTC

Perhaps we should wait for 1.4 before using any of the truly magnificent trades.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:05 pm UTC

hmm, I could attempt at making a massive wheat farm, not sure how well it will work, but I can try. Will need dirt for it though, and I kinda want to do a different design from normal... I hope it turns out as hoped.

wam

Postby wam » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

I have a largish wheat field but unfortunately its manual for everything! As I built it ages ago and never got round to automating it.

Blue, you are welcome to take as much dirt as you need from my house. I have so much I'm running out of storage space.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

bluejello wrote:so, getting some lava for my sky block I came across... something I think was suppost to be found later, and the spoiler was to be found first. Ok, I just found more to this riddle, a part that has to go before what I found...
Spoiler:
2012-08-21_20.29.21.png
below the sky block challange area

spoiler about what it contains and what I did.
Spoiler:
I pulled the lever, then suddenly blazes. I managed to close the door before any escaped, and quickly poured some water into it from a hole I made in the roof. (repaired it) found a book inside. if you want more info about later things just say

On a unrelated note, I lost all my villagers for skyblock and am requesting two more spawn eggs. The fire of BlueJello's unnamed village #2 killed most of them, and the rest committed suicide by jumping off... also replaced my lost lava.

there are some new eggs in your skyblock mailbox.

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

Kain wrote:Perhaps we should wait for 1.4 before using any of the truly magnificent trades.

I was under the impression that in 1.4, we wouldn't be able to trade massive crazy quantities by keeping the trade window open... I was specifically looking at doing this before 1.4 so that we could buy massive quantities of picks without having to find many offers for picks. For the record, I now have 62 picks' worth of emeralds!

We should probably set up a time to do this trading, since it'll require cooperation between at least two players, and I'd like to let as many people as possible get the picks they want. Perhaps this coming Saturday? For reference, I'm located in United States mountain time. I don't know if the forums automatically convert post times to peoples' local timezone, but as I'm posting this, my computer clock says 1:40 pm.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Just got minecraft for PC after playing the xbox version for a while. Can anyone offer any hints/advice?

Also, can i get added to the white-list for the xkcd server? username: Zephyr256k
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Tip #1 learn the recipientrecipe (I blame auto-correct), as you place the items in specific offers and do not choose them from a list in the of version.
Last edited by bluejello on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:50 am UTC

I met a creeper in the sand duplicator whilst preparing to run a few cycles of gravel through it.

Due to my connection bugging out I was unable to work on fixing it.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:09 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Just got minecraft for PC after playing the xbox version for a while. Can anyone offer any hints/advice?

explore your world, to an extent anyways. the world size is not limited on PC and it has a bunch of terrain generation features that don't exist in the xbox version (they haven't been implemented yet) so you'll find ravines, underground abandoned mines, fortresses in the nether...the list goes on.

try to learn some of the mechanics of enchanting/potion making, as they are very helpful once you have the capability to experiment with them. fire resistance is very nice for exploring the nether.

also, if you're feeling adventurous, try out some game mods. there aren't many for the current version yes, as it's only been out a week or so, but soon enough mods will be updated and you might find some you like.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:39 am UTC

Well, I am ready to start working on the trip back and forth between the ARS and Pandora. Just need an ender pearl and a couple blaze rods.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:22 am UTC

HELLO EVERYONE!!!
I was gone for a while with out leaving notice. I'm sure no one missed me, but I sure did miss you guys and the server.
I'm glad that we updated soon this time, unlike the previous versions we had to wait months. Few things; Thanks to whom ever remodeled the Hotel, it looks nice. second, the city seems to be expanding, I see a lot of new buildings on Pandora. I will have to re-explore the area. Finally, I still need to finish the dam, so I will be buying ice blocks to flood the damn thing. I could trade for almost any type of block or item you may need and we can work something out or 6 diamond per stack!

ohh, I almost forgot. Hello to all the new players.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:48 am UTC

It seems that filling it from the top would be easier than placing and breaking the million or so ice blocks it would take.

The only downside to top fill is that you would only have source blocks on top, so there'd be a nasty undertow in your lake.

wam

Postby wam » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am UTC

Also if you have ice with nothing underneath it it just breaks, rather than turning into water.

Return to “Gaming”