Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kain

Re: Minecraft

Postby Kain » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:17 am UTC

You could also do the whole checkerboard fill technique...
Have diagonally adjacent columns of dirt or whatever, put water source blocks on each side of them, fill in the entire area sans the columns this way, then remove the columns from the top down (the water will fill in over them and create more sources.
Note that it is even more efficient if you set up the columns at a 1 2 offset (similar to our high efficiency reed farm back at plymouth).

So, 1.4 spoiler:
Spoiler:
Passive mobs and npcs use nether portals now (maybe even end portals? Of course, I don't think you can set up a nether village, what with the sky requirement, but this should make it easier to establish new villages.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:54 am UTC

T'was my initial plan, placing a layer of water on the top layer and hope all would become source blocks, but Gana told be that source blocks only expand horizontally and not vertically. I was thinking of using the check board method using Ice without the need of any other blocks. It should work right?

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:26 am UTC

If anyone is wondering about the map, my dropbox has run out of space. Some nasty file conflicts later, I am re-rendering the map using lower quality, however, I am not optimistic about the size.

If you are willing, I can get more space if you sign up for/install dropbox using this link: http://db.tt/m5KNAmO. You can uninstall it after if you want :).

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:38 am UTC

MrMonkey wrote:If anyone is wondering about the map, my dropbox has run out of space. Some nasty file conflicts later, I am re-rendering the map using lower quality, however, I am not optimistic about the size.

If you are willing, I can get more space if you sign up for/install dropbox using this link: http://db.tt/m5KNAmO. You can uninstall it after if you want :).

I have a server that I could host the map on for you. Could even get a sub-domain.

Also, Ikari is interested in engaging in talks with Narnia.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:56 am UTC

Whee, many adventures were had.

I wandered around spawn for a bit until I found a sign that said to head north to Pandora for supplies, so quite naturally I headed North...

In the North I found nothing much, decided that I had probably missed Pandora and set up a hovel and mine in the wilderness somewhere north of the spawn.
After a while, my mine was invaded by endermen and the valiant Fractangle offered to help. There was a bit of a false start where I failed to give correct directions to my mine, and I decided to just abandon it after a second enderman spawned there.

Heading back to the spawn, I met up with Fractangle who showed me the proper way to get to Pandora, a journey not entirely risk-free either as the nether-rail was infested with zombie pigmen. Once the bulk of the infestation was dealt with, Fractangle left me to continue on alone towards Pandora, where I eventually arrived. I explored a bit, and eventually decided to construct a small island off the coast of Pandora where I currently reside.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

I've been having LOTS of connection and server stability issues... haven't been able to stay on for more than about 5 minutes at a time, and quite often much less than that. A couple others have been on and off, with similar issues. But it's not simply the instability I'm upset about: The following just happened...

- I went to the monastery, and saw that there was another villager selling diamond picks, so I figured I'd buy a bunch. By "a bunch", I mean "a stack and a half worth of emerald blocks' worth". We're talking at least 80 diamond picks here. A full ender chest, full inventory, and 2 rows in a chest at the monastery that I had to make a second trip for.
- Lots of lag, disconnects, and general server derpityderping. When I get back to the monastery, the chest I'd stored those two rows of diamond picks in wasn't there. Not that it was empty, it just simply didn't exist. Gone. Vanished. Whichever word you prefer. I figured the chunks hadn't saved properly, so I checked my ender chest. It was empty... a bad sign, as I'd stored the stack-and-27 of emerald blocks in there, along with a couple other things of little consequence. Fearing a longer lack-of-save period, I went back to my base where I would normally store my emeralds in the chest that I had quite imaginatively labelled "valuables". No emeralds there. I checked all the other chests that I've ever put emeralds in, and no sign of 'em. Also, I should mention that the diamond picks I'd shipped back to my base on the first trip had gone missing as well. In fact, the chest I'd put them in had reverted to the contents it had had before I cleared it out to fill with picks.

Long story short, lost 64+27 emerald blocks, and a few other things (sharpness 4, knockback 2 diamond sword, about 5-10% used up; brand new unenchanted bow; little bit over half used up diamond chestplate with some enchantment on it, I don't remember what; a few pieces of bread; about half a stack of arrows; might've been some other misc but I don't remember). The only ones I'm really upset about are the emerald blocks (or their diamond pick counterparts, either way), the sword, and the chestplate, though.

Also, the villager who I'd traded with had generated another offer (9 for iron pants) right after I bought diamond picks from it, but in the lack-of-save, apparently this was not saved either, because he's back to only having a diamond pick offer.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:50 pm UTC

That's really sad to hear Fractangle... =(

Anyway, I just realized how I could make so gold isn't rarer than diamonds for me anymore.
I just need to go on exploring new 1.3 deserts so I could find temples. I realized this
watching Bdub's Peep show 1.4 . Where he found two temples and ended up with 40 bars.
Anyone want to explore together with me? I don't know but it might be more fun then, even though you'd split the rewards afterwards. =P

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:That's really sad to hear Fractangle... =(

Anyway, I just realized how I could make so gold isn't rarer than diamonds for me anymore.
I just need to go on exploring new 1.3 deserts so I could find temples. I realized this
watching Bdub's Peep show 1.4 . Where he found two temples and ended up with 40 bars.
Anyone want to explore together with me? I don't know but it might be more fun then, even though you'd split the rewards afterwards. =P

You could also rassle up some obsidian and work on a zombie pigman farm. :P

Fractangle: I'll set you up a chest with emerald replacement. The enchantments might be harder to deal with.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 pm UTC

I have been trying to get on all day after a long hiatus, but I am only able to stay on for a minute or two. I am by the original spawn area because that must have been where I last logged off a while ago if that helps. Is there a good fix for this?
these are words
type, type, type

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:09 am UTC

good fix? not sure if nether rail is a "good" fix, but it is the best way to get to Pandora.

Also, working on a wheat farm. It will be a while before it will be in a usable state but the collection point is almost done at the time of this posting. I also want to make a pigman farm sometime... would need lots of obsidian for that I believe, if the chance is per nethergate.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:20 am UTC

So I'm considering raising part of the ocean as part of my construction... Kind of like this, but with a big island-hole in the middle.
2012-08-22_17.42.09.png

But then again, that sounds like work. I'll probably just stick with the original plan.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:43 am UTC

After some consideration of the idea, the only reason I suggested a deeper ocean was so that you could end it at the level of the seabed. I realized that you didn't actually have to do that. And, well, for a project like this, you don't *need* 128+ blocks of space to build. 64 is plenty.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:18 am UTC

Hey guys, after being away for the entire summer, I'm back! Don't expect much from me though as I'm still figuring out some of the 1.3 stuff and relearning minecraft in general after the break...
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

Server appears to be down, or anyway, I can't reach it...
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:10 am UTC

The Bank of Ikari has been closed to make room for the new Embassy of Ikari. With this change comes a proposal for the expansion of the lot occupied by Ikari. The size of the proposed expansion is delimited by three signs. This expansion includes increasing the size of the basement, adding a sub-basement, and making the building two stories taller then it is currently.

Any comments or concerns about this plan should be directed to the Ikari officials in Pandora by 1700 EDT Friday.

Once again the Ikari leadership requests talks with the Narnian leadership.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:01 am UTC

Also, for the record, I am in your sheep pens, sheering your sheep, so I'd appreciate it if people didn't abscond with too many of the tools or wool I'm putting in the chests...

...otherwise Narnia will be sad.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Also, for the record, I am in your sheep pens, sheering your sheep, so I'd appreciate it if people didn't abscond with too many of the tools or wool I'm putting in the chests...

The wool in the first floor of jr's 16 story farm is free to the public though, right?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

matt96

Postby matt96 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:55 pm UTC

I finally got this game, and would like to request to join the server, if I need to be white-listed, my minecraft account name is mattttt96

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

WHY IS IT WE GET NEW PLAYERS AND AWESOME STUFF WHEN I'M GONE?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Also, for the record, I am in your sheep pens, sheering your sheep, so I'd appreciate it if people didn't abscond with too many of the tools or wool I'm putting in the chests...

The wool in the first floor of jr's 16 story farm is free to the public though, right?

Technically, though I've been storing my supplies in there. Hence the appreciation if there wasn't a bunch taken.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

I've settled on this area for my island, by the way.

And a public service announcement: The communarium is low on dirt, cobblestone, gravel, and redstone dust. Donations are still appreciated for the greater good. (The greater good.)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:And a public service announcement: The communarium is low on dirt, cobblestone, gravel, and redstone dust. Donations are still appreciated for the greater good. (The greater good.)

My project will generate a lot of dirt, and I appear to have some gravel, so I can donate that. I currently have plans for all of my cobblestone (making stone bricks), and I am low on redstone dust at the moment.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:42 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Snark wrote:

Technically, though I've been storing my supplies in there. Hence the appreciation if there wasn't a bunch taken.

I'll put the stack or so I took back then. I just used about 20 pieces for a house fix after someone had a run in with a creeper.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 am UTC

Is the sand machine offline? It should also be able to do gravel.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:00 am UTC

Oh, if you wander the Nether and find a portal covered in vines that leads to a nether stone tower covered in vines in the ocean..... It's mine.

And stay the hell out of my zepplin's balloon.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:31 pm UTC

If any cobble is needed feel free to come to Ankor A Zharr, the cobble room is near the nether portal and train station. I am currently at 30 double chests or so (I ran out of fingers and toes and started guessing.)
They call me Mr. Piman

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Is the sand machine offline? It should also be able to do gravel.

I just checked, and someone must have fixed it after my creeper report a few days ago.

They didn't replace the sand, so currently it's doing some of each. I'll have to fix that after I run some gravel.

After a few doublechests of gravel I switched it back to sand, but I must have broke something because now the trapdoors don't appear to be cycling properly.

And naturally my connection goes all unrelable, so I can't troubleshoot the problem to fix what I probably broke.

Grrrr.....

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:25 pm UTC

Melic wrote:After a few doublechests of gravel I switched it back to sand, but I must have broke something because now the trapdoors don't appear to be cycling properly.
I believe that can be fixed by nudgeing the minecart below the control room.
They call me Mr. Piman

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

When I was at the sand generator last night it was working. Well, it wasn't working but I managed to get it working. And yes, it turns off, I made sure.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:53 pm UTC

Steax wrote:WHY IS IT WE GET NEW PLAYERS AND AWESOME STUFF WHEN I'M GONE?

Causation?

Alder

Postby Alder » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:32 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And stay the hell out of my zepplin's balloon.

Nothing has made me want to join the server quite as much as the command to stay away from the Awesomesounding Coolthing...
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm UTC

It appears that in my digging, I have stumbled onto a pair of pistons that are without a connection, that are facing towards a 1x2 hallway that extends to a pit of lava. If this is important, my digging will stop at it's current level, which is just deep enough for the first basement. The second basement would go down another 5 meters.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

Alder wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:And stay the hell out of my zepplin's balloon.

Nothing has made me want to join the server quite as much as the command to stay away from the Awesomesounding Coolthing...

It's.. not that awesome. I slapped it together in, like.. an hour and a half, maybe. Maybe two hours. Added a bit more.

And then someone decided to move into the balloon and partially recolor the sides. So I fixed it.

If it happens again, I'll simply fill the interior with TNT in such a way that breaking any exterior blocks will cause at least one TNT cube to light, which will in turn cause them ALL to light, destroying the entire thing and probably part of Spawn Tower and some of the surrounding structures.

Because stay the hell out of my zepplin's balloon.

...of course, now that there's currency (Emeralds!) and experience potions, I should do the whole "Hiding treasure" thing again.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:It appears that in my digging, I have stumbled onto a pair of pistons that are without a connection, that are facing towards a 1x2 hallway that extends to a pit of lava. If this is important, my digging will stop at it's current level, which is just deep enough for the first basement. The second basement would go down another 5 meters.

Sounds like the church catacombs. If so, that's from a defunct mini-adventure, and you should be okay.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:02 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Also, Ikari is interested in engaging in talks with Narnia.

Yes?

Narnia approves of tnt trapped zeppelin balloons as they are far enough away as to not be exploded.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

Too bad for Narnia that I simply do not care for "treaties" or "agreements" when there are lols to be had.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:44 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I've settled on this area for my island, by the way.

And a public service announcement: The communarium is low on dirt, cobblestone, gravel, and redstone dust. Donations are still appreciated for the greater good. (The greater good.)

That appears to be where I have built the Mysterious Isle.

Feel free to drop by, but please don't tear up my home.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:18 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Too bad for Narnia that I simply do not care for "treaties" or "agreements" when there are lols to be had.

Provided you do not place a sign that says "free diamonds inside". That thing is quite close to spawn.

Jesse wrote:
Steax wrote:WHY IS IT WE GET NEW PLAYERS AND AWESOME STUFF WHEN I'M GONE?

Causation?

If so, my powers go all the way to Mojang. They even released so much in the same period of time.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:That appears to be where I have built the Mysterious Isle.

Feel free to drop by, but please don't tear up my home.

I noticed. Your home is safe.

On an unrelated note: The railway between Pandora and the settlement/xp farm is now optimized and (unconditionally) guaranteed mob-safe... Tell me if there's any problems.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

Has anyone accidentally or non-accidentally modified the sand machine?

There was subtle but important damage to certain bits of it. There was a repeater on dirt that was missing (this I can attribute to endermen) but there was also a missing sandstone block within the system's on/off state memory cell. This disabled the "on" button, which was okay, but I shudder to think what could happen if someone broke the off button. (Incidentally, the 5-minute failsafe would still function in that situation.)

I'm replacing all important dirt with wool now.

Return to “Gaming”