Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

bluejello

Re: Minecraft

Postby bluejello » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:07 am UTC

The sand machine was broken, so I fiddled with it to get it working. I made sure that it turned on and off with the buttons. (issue was a wire was missing from behind the on button...somehow) did not do anything to a repeater though... When I finished the on/off button DID work, as I made sure.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:23 am UTC

Jake (I think, or was it someone else) mentioned that, and it was a few days ago, right? I just double-checked everything on there about 18 hours ago, so it couldn't have been that.

I've since placed wool to avoid any further enderman damage.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:33 am UTC

Couple of not cool things-

1. Melons at the tree farm? Not cool.

2. Colour mixing on the Sheep farm (three red sheep on the aquamarine level)? Not cool.

So, you know... be cool, not not cool.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:33 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Couple of not cool things-

1. Melons at the tree farm? Not cool.

2. Colour mixing on the Sheep farm (three red sheep on the aquamarine level)? Not cool.

So, you know... be cool, not not cool.

Yeah, I noticed that the other day. I was going to kill them off (there was also red sheep on another level as well), but I lacked proper tools for that.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:29 am UTC

Just to fully list more suspicious behaviour:

3. An entire doublechest of melons (or two - but I'm absolutely sure that at least one was, and bona can confirm) has vanished.

4. Five doublechests of sandstone/stone has been missing. One or two we'd understand as someone needing them in a hurry, but five? When you can get as much in 7 minutes?

5. Minor but critical damage to sand stone facilities.

6. Minor but critical/essential damage to the furnace building door.

Be on the lookout for more.

Alder

Postby Alder » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:It's.. not that awesome. I slapped it together in, like.. an hour and a half, maybe. Maybe two hours. Added a bit more.

And then someone decided to move into the balloon and partially recolor the sides. So I fixed it.

Someone moved in and changed it? Well, that was just rude!

That's a lovely map you have there, by the way. Be a shame if something...
The server I'm on has our pre-1.2 world saved as another world to visit, and it looked a lot more like that. Our current one is still full of trees, we really need to build more cool stuff.
SecondTalon wrote:If it happens again, I'll simply fill the interior with TNT in such a way that breaking any exterior blocks will cause at least one TNT cube to light, which will in turn cause them ALL to light, destroying the entire thing and probably part of Spawn Tower and some of the surrounding structures.

Because stay the hell out of my zepplin's balloon.

So now it's forbidden and might be trapped? Hope you've no Indiana Jones wannabes on there... :D
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 am UTC

Beware of lightning for those of you with flammable houses.

2012-08-28_07.00.26.png
This was real fire, it would damage you if you touched it.

2012-08-29_16.41.57.png
Lightning damage near my city home. This is exposed to rain, nothing was above it.

Melic

Postby Melic » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:27 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Too bad for Narnia that I simply do not care for "treaties" or "agreements" when there are lols to be had.

Provided you do not place a sign that says "free diamonds inside". That thing is quite close to spawn.

Or do put a sign that says diamonds inside as well as a sign saying dont break the ballon, if they want to grief they will break it if they want to steal they will break it.
They call me Mr. Piman

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

the implication was that you SHOULD NOT put a sign suggesting that people destroy the spawn.

speaking of spawn, is it possible to change the server spawn for new/dying players? the trek to pandora from the original spawn is quite a ways. (it's also possible that the spawn has already been changed, and I just don't know it because I haven't been on the server in forever)
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:If it happens again, I'll simply fill the interior with TNT in such a way that breaking any exterior blocks will cause at least one TNT cube to light, which will in turn cause them ALL to light, destroying the entire thing and probably part of Spawn Tower and some of the surrounding structures.

OK, what is stopping someone from using water to stop the TNT from destroying the other blocks?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 am UTC

eculc wrote:the implication was that you SHOULD NOT put a sign suggesting that people destroy the spawn.

speaking of spawn, is it possible to change the server spawn for new/dying players? the trek to pandora from the original spawn is quite a ways. (it's also possible that the spawn has already been changed, and I just don't know it because I haven't been on the server in forever)

It should be possible, but it's likely an issue of how it already is... The travel from spawn to Pandora is a ritual.

matt96 wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:If it happens again, I'll simply fill the interior with TNT in such a way that breaking any exterior blocks will cause at least one TNT cube to light, which will in turn cause them ALL to light, destroying the entire thing and probably part of Spawn Tower and some of the surrounding structures.

OK, what is stopping someone from using water to stop the TNT from destroying the other blocks?

It's not that easy when you don't know where the actual TNT block is, since breaking the block to allow water in should detonate said TNT.

... There's also nothing stopping ST from encasing it in bedrock and placing the TNT inside that, just to kill you without damaging anything else.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:02 am UTC

Doublepost for importance, I guess.

Bona/Josephine and I have been talking about the possibility of having a tekkit server for fun. Turns out they're pretty cheap - we looked at several, and at the moment these guys look okay. $10-20 a month sounds rather reasonable if we pitch in. Or anyone got experience (ST or Infina, perhaps)?

It wouldn't replace the main server, just a place to go haywire once in a while. Tekkit is also quite an amusing mod, and has a ton of awesome rediscovery moments for those who haven't tried it before.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

Tekkit sounds fun. I've only played it a little.

Also, I'm in need of a little less than a stack of netherbrick fence. Is anyone able to trade me for some?
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:19 pm UTC

Work is being done on a special modder/launcher for any server that wants to use mods. It will even do all the config changes for that server before launching minecraft. Once the server owner gets everything set up on the server, the program will generate a meta file to be given to the clients, so the client can be configured.

I would host a tekkit server, but I have my own modded server to work on. It does have a lot of the same mods, the most notably absent one is buildcraft. We have added minions, ExtraBiomes XL, Mo' Creatures, and TubeStuff.

Also, I may have need of a few stacks of Nether Brick. I just need to see if my building is still using it for a roof.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:Also, I may have need of a few stacks of Nether Brick. I just need to see if my building is still using it for a roof.

Can nether brick be used to make fence? I thought one had to find it in the nether in fence form.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:37 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
_infina_ wrote:Also, I may have need of a few stacks of Nether Brick. I just need to see if my building is still using it for a roof.

Can nether brick be used to make fence? I thought one had to find it in the nether in fence form.

Yes, just use the brick like you would sticks for a regular fence
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, infina, what's your host? I'm seeing tons of hosts, and some of them look incredibly dodgy. And how much RAM would you suggest for a tekkit server?

A community tekkit server would probably have 10 people on it at the same time, tops. On average, 5 or so at most. I was wondering if we should just get together and rent a small server.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:54 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Out of curiosity, infina, what's your host? I'm seeing tons of hosts, and some of them look incredibly dodgy. And how much RAM would you suggest for a tekkit server?

A community tekkit server would probably have 10 people on it at the same time, tops. On average, 5 or so at most. I was wondering if we should just get together and rent a small server.

I have a vps. I don't use a host. You may still be able to get a free year of amazon AWS if you sign up. Those work ok, only get about 512MB RAM, though, so the best option is to run an instance of FreeBSD.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

So after a very long hiatus I'm have decided to get back into minecraft. If someone could give me a quick recap of major changes to the server since like 1.2 that would be helpful.And if anyone wants help on projects that I can donate my time. I prefer to do transportation projects so if anyone needs a rail line tell me.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

So, a portion of the Nether rail to Pandora has become deadly. At this point, if you're going along in a minecart, you'll catch fire and start burning. Staying in the minecart assures death, whereas getting out allows the fire to stop soon enough to live. I have no clue where the fire comes from. The coords for the section are x-2011 z-130 (the part with the Sandstone roof).

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:Out of curiosity, infina, what's your host? I'm seeing tons of hosts, and some of them look incredibly dodgy. And how much RAM would you suggest for a tekkit server?

I have a vps. I don't use a host. You may still be able to get a free year of amazon AWS if you sign up. Those work ok, only get about 512MB RAM, though, so the best option is to run an instance of FreeBSD.

Hmm, I see. Not sure what to do from now on - I've heard that 1GB RAM is often lacking even for small tekkit servers (especially given how crazy out community can be with machines).

CombustibleLemons wrote:So after a very long hiatus I'm have decided to get back into minecraft. If someone could give me a quick recap of major changes to the server since like 1.2 that would be helpful.And if anyone wants help on projects that I can donate my time. I prefer to do transportation projects so if anyone needs a rail line tell me.

Um, the big thing is... probably villager trading? I can't quite remember. Or wait, 1.2 beta?

Carlomagno wrote:So, a portion of the Nether rail to Pandora has become deadly. At this point, if you're going along in a minecart, you'll catch fire and start burning. Staying in the minecart assures death, whereas getting out allows the fire to stop soon enough to live. I have no clue where the fire comes from. The coords for the section are x-2011 z-130 (the part with the Sandstone roof).

I'll take a look!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm UTC

No one's using this part of the ocean, right? Because I am.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:42 am UTC

DAMNIT!!! :evil:

When I left my old computer to my brother I was going to put importnant stuff on an USB...
Though I didn't put over the world/the actual design drawings...
So It's almost so that I got to go again from scratch. It's just that I kind of got the measurements for about the hole area needed...
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 am UTC

Apparently the fire-death-bug has switched from every time to intermittent and moving. It still happened to me again today though, this time just before that sandstone-covered part of the tunnel.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:41 am UTC

It's happened to me as well a couple of times, I thought it was maybe just lag though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:50 am UTC

I can now confirm that mob spawning is bugged. I've had SIX creepers spawn in my skyfrost home. I have never had a single hostile spawn there - 80% of the house is slabbed, and the rest is extremely well-lit. And being in the freakin' sky, there's not really much room for anything to simply wander in. To further confirm that, after clearing out all the creepers and going to the basement for lockdown protocols, I went back up and found another, freshly spawned creeper.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:47 am UTC

Steax wrote:I can now confirm that mob spawning is bugged. I've had SIX creepers spawn in my skyfrost home. I have never had a single hostile spawn there - 80% of the house is slabbed, and the rest is extremely well-lit. And being in the freakin' sky, there's not really much room for anything to simply wander in. To further confirm that, after clearing out all the creepers and going to the basement for lockdown protocols, I went back up and found another, freshly spawned creeper.
... I think our server is haunted. Weird stuff has been happening lately.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am UTC

'Haunted' is a good term for what I saw when I got home.
Attachments
2012-08-31_14.42.48.png
when your home is suspended in the air and there's just 1 layer of rock protecting you from certain death, this is the worst possible thing that can happen.

Alder

Postby Alder » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:27 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I can now confirm that mob spawning is bugged. I've had SIX creepers spawn in my skyfrost home. I have never had a single hostile spawn there - 80% of the house is slabbed, and the rest is extremely well-lit. And being in the freakin' sky, there's not really much room for anything to simply wander in. To further confirm that, after clearing out all the creepers and going to the basement for lockdown protocols, I went back up and found another, freshly spawned creeper.

Two things - when you say 'slabbed' are you talking about half slabs on the bottom half of the block, and is the server running 1.3?

If not, dunno what's going on there, but if so, mobs can spawn on upside down half slabs and double half slabs - basically, if it's level with the top of the blocks. No idea why you're getting creepers in particular though!
Plasma Man wrote:I might have to get rid of some of my breadbins.

Kulantan wrote:I feel a great disturbance in the Fora, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and then kinda trailed off to a grumble.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm UTC

I had a nether brick block blocking the water entrance of mushroom house, and someone (I'm looking at whoever built the auto wheat farm across the river) lifted one of my lily pads. The "haunting" continues.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:24 pm UTC

Alder wrote:

Two things - when you say 'slabbed' are you talking about half slabs on the bottom half of the block, and is the server running 1.3?

If not, dunno what's going on there, but if so, mobs can spawn on upside down half slabs and double half slabs - basically, if it's level with the top of the blocks. No idea why you're getting creepers in particular though!

They were halfslabs on the lower side only, which, to my understanding, is still spawn-proof, no?

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:51 pm UTC

They were halfslabs on the lower side only, which, to my understanding, is still spawn-proof, no?

That is spawn proof. =)
You should start calling it The Haunted Platform of the Sky instead of Skyfrost. :shock:

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:52 pm UTC

Is the zombie/skelly grinder located south of Hal's house meant to be private now? The portal locale was changed (or a whole bunch of stuff was built differently around it) and the brewing stand and signs were not put back up. And a sign about not taking stuff from chests was placed.

I've used the grinder before, and while I didn't not replace all materials immediately (for the splash healing potions), I have contributed in the past and I certainly meant to contribute my fair share over time. I hope I didn't annoy anyone when they saw about ~10 potions worth of materials used. :(

If you don't want visitors, it's not a problem. I can use the blaze grinder in the nether. Blaze rods are always good to have anyways.

-JakeStiles

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:54 pm UTC

halgdp wrote:

That is spawn proof. =)
You should start calling it The Haunted Platform of the Sky instead of Skyfrost. :shock:

That wouldn't do well for tourism!

Snark wrote:Is the zombie/skelly grinder located south of Hal's house meant to be private now? The portal locale was changed (or a whole bunch of stuff was built differently around it) and the brewing stand and signs were not put back up. And a sign about not taking stuff from chests was placed.

I've used the grinder before, and while I didn't not replace all materials immediately (for the splash healing potions), I have contributed in the past and I certainly meant to contribute my fair share over time. I hope I didn't annoy anyone when they saw about ~10 potions worth of materials used. :(

If you don't want visitors, it's not a problem. I can use the blaze grinder in the nether. Blaze rods are always good to have anyways.

-JakeStiles

The spawner should not be private. It was built by many and the whole fact it has 2 spawners in it was due to blal's help, with the assurance it'd be for public use. Now I'm not sure about the potions - I can somewhat see why that would be an issue. We'll have a new potionary in the city soon, and gunpowder, melons and gold nuggets aren't THAT rare anyway.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

Snark wrote:Is the zombie/skelly grinder located south of Hal's house meant to be private now? The portal locale was changed (or a whole bunch of stuff was built differently around it) and the brewing stand and signs were not put back up. And a sign about not taking stuff from chests was placed.

-JakeStiles

If that's the one I took you to, I built it, its mine, and feel free to use it however. And if someone has fucked with it, what the hell people?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

Is it not the general one with a ton of chests?

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:

-JakeStiles

If that's the one I took you to, I built it, its mine, and feel free to use it however. And if someone has fucked with it, what the hell people?

I think it's the one you took me to.

You took me to a portal in the nether - it lead to a small hallway with a small room with a chest full of potion supplies, some signs detailing how to make the correct potions, and a space where the skellies and zombies fell down.

Recently, a enchantment table was added. No big deal.

Very recently, as in the past 2-3 days, the portal appears to lead to a different place nearby (or the nearby area has been drastically changed.) Chests everywhere. All kinds of stuff. I doubt there are two double spawners so close to each other. I think it's been changed.

Follow the rail south from Hal's house to see the new location of the grinder. It took me a while to find it from the portal.

EDIT: The simplest explanation could be as follows: Maybe there ARE two double spawners near that locale, and someone built a portal near the other spawner that interfered with your original portal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

Snark wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:

-JakeStiles

I think it's the one you took me to.

You took me to a portal in the nether - it lead to a small hallway with a small room with a chest full of potion supplies, some signs detailing how to make the correct potions, and a space where the skellies and zombies fell down.

Recently, a enchantment table was added. No big deal.

Very recently, as in the past 2-3 days, the portal appears to lead to a different place nearby (or the nearby area has been drastically changed.) Chests everywhere. All kinds of stuff. I doubt there are two double spawners so close to each other. I think it's been changed.

Follow the rail south from Hal's house to see the new location of the grinder. It took me a while to find it from the portal.

Oh, so JR made this one... No surprises there. Over time it was beefed up (second spawner, safety mechanisms, better lighting, better access, etc) but never any major change. I'm not sure about the portal change. I'm going to examine this closer.

I'm still not sure if we're talking about the same grinder, though. The portal to the settlement never moved. This grinder also has no potion equipment - but I do see that an enchanting table was added. It is, however, at the end of the rail.

... It actually sounds like you were using a different spawner/grinder, and something happened, and now you're mistaking this grinder for another one.

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

We must be talking about different grinders. I think someone just built a portal recently that has interfered with JR's portal to his spawner setup.

Go the Pandora portal netherside, walk north (I think it's north - it's the opposite direction from the netherwart farm) and then veer slightly to the right of the staircase that leads to the rail to spawn (overall it's a slight veer to the left in walking direction). After you veer, you'll see a jack-o-lantern, and a small hallway ending in a portal. This portal used to lead to JR's spawner setup. Now it doesn't. I think. I've only tried it once today. It may lead to his or another with 50% chance. Who knows?

Sorry for the false alarm (as I now hope it is). Two zombie/skelly grinders that close seemed too unlikely to consider, but I guess I was wrong.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

It would appear that the destination portal is off. I went overworld and hunted down the coordinates, trying to find the hidden base, but no success. Maybe JR knows.

Anyway, even in the Settlement spawner (that's the one on the hilly, mountain area there - it's where the first travellers to Pandora landed), most of that stuff is up for grabs.

Return to “Gaming”