Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Reworking the server to fix the problems.

Postby Feylias » Mon May 13, 2013 1:34 am UTC

As regards this:
raudorn wrote:I am put off by the region around spawn. Everythings seems so randomly put together and while that surely has some history, that history is not accessible to anyone new on the server. It's just a collection of constructions.
Spoiler:
I think it's a valid point. Hmm. So I consider myself fairly new to the server in that I've been on for less than half of the time it's been around. I have much of the 'insider knowledge' but still have chunks of history that predate me that I wonder about (was "admin" castle built on that lava? Who made it? I wanna say something like "Helios". Did they build the lava moat bucket-by-bucket? Even if they used admin hax to make it in pseudo-creative-mode, did they do it by hand or using a worldedit toy?) (Who was Rippy?)

Right. Plenty I wonder about.

So I think we could tear down much of what's at Spawn and rework it. I've talked with Roos about the defunct communarium-building-replacement; that whole building, I think, has negligible history and is the opposite of cozy and welcoming...and is defunct. I think we could raze it, and the add-ons to black-hat boulevard (the boulevard itself is fine.)

In fact, off the top of my head, I think the spawn area has only a few historical landmarks: ST's zeppelin. Narnia and bridge. The comic. ...and the black-hat walkway. I'd go to spawn now and look around, but I'm trying to do that and teleport-to-spawn-by-death seems to have trapped me in a lag-crash loop. I'll try again in a minute.

There is more of historical significance, of course, but that's what I remember. IMHO we can tear down the new spawn building (by hand!) and some of the other stuff in the area to make it less busy, and maybe make a simple sign-wall that explains the functional airship-teleport buttons that help people get to where the community has largely relocated. Creating an area near spawn where new arrivals can collect wood and farm plants and stuff might be good.

Heck, maybe we can have just the area within (and maybe a bit more) the current spawn-house fence be subject to a reset every month so that it can be mined/harvested/farmed anew.

I don't know what the right thing to do is, or how/whether to mitigate the chaos that the age and wealth of the server has created as a side-effect. I just know that in all my server-hunting I haven't ever loved a server like I've loved this one. We've got so much that is unique and should be treasured:

1) An intelligent and playfully mature playerbase that acts with respect, kindness, and thought; we're not raiding-griefing-vandalism-profanity-and-2dpixelart based.

2) We're (mostly) legit. Settings on vanilla, hard-difficulty, with no weird plugins or lopsided privileges that make everything some unrelated game and cheapen the value of anything you see.
(Mostly legit: Well yeah, we've got settime, and teleports, and sometimes mob griefing/lava burning/whatever is disabled, and there are a few things on the server that were created in creative mode. ..but these are rare and small)

3) A server that has been allowed to run without resets for ages to the point where archaeology is actually an entertaining and plausible pastime.

4) Longevity; the work players put into building wonders is not going to vanish for no reason.

..and more. And the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Remember Psion's server? It went down suddenly. Everything I accomplished and was working on there was gone (and was cheapened anyway; it was easy mode and had your inventory stay with you when you died.) Similarly the previous Psion server (which I didn't play much before it was suddenly shut down also because it was on peaceful mode). And on YouSirName's server, which was seemingly up for barely a fortnight. And Infina's servers (which sounded cool but required plugins that I didn't get to work anyway.) And on every other server I've ever played on that had nothing to do with XKCD forums. And when I dabble in any third server (spent some time on mc.mad-realm.com last night. Plugins-agogo) to build a warehouse and accumulate materials I find out that they've got a system where you can buy creative mode, or you can sell things to the server, or you have 'stats' that 'level up' as you use them, or other crap like that. More power to the people who enjoy these things. Hell, if there were a server that was going to keep the world running with any longevity I might even experiment to see how some of them work (I still want to set up a server with buffed mob AI, more mobs, 48-hour deathban, no PVP, and no sunrise.)

I'm not hating on servers that reset every few weeks. Well, okay, I am. Vehemently. But I'm not hating on the players who inexplicably like those servers. I just want to point out:

That's EVERY other server.

Literally. If there is even one publicly-accessible server with the kind of history we have, I haven't found it. Not that I think it could match our server in any other arena even if it could match our history.

If we must delete chunks or move things around I can get beyond that. If we have to delete the Nether, I can cope (though Scallel will be sad, and the Nether Trolley will be a loss. ...and there are mysteries in the Nether too.)

Nearly anything is better than a reset, and copying over landmarks is a small consolation.

Perhaps we could have two servers? Keep the one we've got and have the other one be the reset-every-month server?
Okay, I'm running on at the mouth. Let's try this more rationally:

Problems:
1) There's strain on the server software and hardware caused by the size of the map and the geographically-divided nature of how many of us play.
2) The enormous and crowded-chaotic-buzy nature of parts of the map is interfering with the fun of some new or infrequent players.
3) Some people are bored.

Proposed solutions:
Spoiler:
1) Rework spawn so that anything with negligible history (like the spawn building) are replaced with a simple and aesthetic area that gets new players on board with the insta-teleport-airport paradigm we've got set up, and possibly augment that paradigm with a few buttons right at spawn that let them teleport
A) directly to Pandora/wherever the most people are.
B) to a random nearby undeveloped chunk that they can explore and build in without worrying about stepping on toes.
C) To a specially-designated collection of chunks that, maybe, are reset/randomized every few months (has to be random. Otherwise you just jot down the coords of the valuable ores and beeline for them.) for newbie resource gathering.
2) Power up the host machine so that it can handle whatever we throw at it. If the bottleneck is computer capability, I'm ten kinds of ready to chip in and purchase additional pylons, and I'll put my contributions where my mouth is in other ways as well; if I have to take the time to learn server admin stuff, so be it.
3) Allow anyone who volunteers to have the structure they've built relocated to somewhere closer to spawn and the chunk that structure was on deleted. (Structure, mind you; it would be pasted into the native terrain at destination so that the biomes meshed properly.)
4) Create an alternate XKCD forum server that resets every few months and then so that those who embrace impermanence can have fun there. Again, I'll help if said help is welcomed.

(And it's gotta be possible to keep the map and the seed and still reset the config files and such. If every player ends up losing their inventory and starting over at spawn but the map is unchanged? We can always either put our stuff in a chest first or, if we don't get word in time, ask for a refund from a mod. Similar things have happened.)

(...and we could, I suppose, delete some chunks that have only been used once or twice. I don't think that would help any but it'd be harmless.)
There is not another server like ours anywhere in the world. Part of what makes it awesome is the administrative choices and the current batch of players, but there are also the players who are gone and not coming back, the history they've left behind, and the future that we hopefully have ahead of us.

This cannot be replaced. Let's keep it, please. I'll help in any way I can.

scienceroboticspunk

Re: Minecraft

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon May 13, 2013 2:51 am UTC

Finally quit IWBTS. Roos can keep the title of unbeatable on it. I want to continue with the fun of the server. And now that I have returned to it. It is so different and fun again to play minecraft normally. I am hoping to get my book out on the history of spawn soon.
I would like to change my vote to keep the server as it is and we should make a new server goal in a new quadrant. Or make clock town.
these are words
type, type, type

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 am UTC

Feylias:

We can reset the server this one time without being a server that resets every month, or with any other level of frequency.

The sheer amount of history on the server has almost reached a point where we can maintain the server for archeological purposes, or maintain it as an active Minecraft server where people build new cool stuff, but it's going to be increasingly difficult to do both moving forward as it becomes more and more difficult to reach new resources (particularly nether resources, but even exploring the prodigious amount of blank-space on the map has a limited chance of generating new terrain types, structures and/or resources).
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon May 13, 2013 4:10 am UTC

Well Pandora is an island, so that'll be relatively easy to fit in somewhere... This area is already mostly water, and pretty close to spawn.

And we could move Vvardenfell and Brittania closer maybe. Actually either of them could make the new spawn...

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Mon May 13, 2013 4:14 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Sorry for the delays, server should be back up.

[...]

Anyone down for a map reset?

Anyone down for a map reset if it also means I spend a bit of time to cut chunks out of the existing map and insert them into the new one to preserve things like Mordor and whatnot?

Um. I abstain from any vote. I have mixed feelings, none of them strong.
(also, I am 'back'; life kinda got hectic there for a while, but I think it's smoothed out so I can play again)

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 pm UTC

I am also against A server reset, I know I havnt played alot latley I tend to go in short bursts but I feel another burst coming on.

I would be up for a server that resets ever couple of months running parallel, maybe with some of the admins being the same on both servers so the best stuff that is done in the resetting server can be preserved tactfully on the main server.

If the map does gets reset I would be fine with downloading a copy of the server (posibly someone knowledgeable cutting out all the extra stuff of people just pushing the edge to maek it a smaller download.) I would try to start on a new project seeing how I have spent 2 years on my dwarven city. however is there an exchange rate for moving wealth to the posible new server?
They call me Mr. Piman

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Reworking the server to fix the problems.

Postby SecondTalon » Mon May 13, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Problems:
1) There's strain on the server software and hardware caused by the size of the map and the geographically-divided nature of how many of us play.
2) The enormous and crowded-chaotic-buzy nature of parts of the map is interfering with the fun of some new or infrequent players.
3) Some people are bored.

1. Is a problem.. but not really. It's the geographically divided nature of play that causes problems more than the mapsize. Again, the server loads a 21x21 grid of chunks around every player, so the more players that are in geographic proximity, the fewer chunks the server has to load. This is not a problem a server wipe would fix.

2. Yes. No. Maybe? Perhaps it's just spawn that should be leveled and rebuilt, in which case - have at it. This is a problem a server wipe would fix.

3. I have no idea how to fix this. While a server wipe will bring some people back, it's not a permanent solution as the kind of person who stops playing rather than finding new areas will, soon enough, quit playing again for the same reasons. This is a problem a server wipe would not fix.

(For the record, I am neutral on the subject, but am throwing it out as something that could happen. Also, no votes with reasons are weighed far more heavily than any other vote. For the record.)

however is there an exchange rate for moving wealth to the posible new server?
If the overwhelming consensus is for a server wipe - no.

It's a server wipe. Not a "Hay guise new map bring your toys!" I mean, I'm torn on the issue of bringing stuff in - including crap I myself already imported, like Vvardenfell and Britannia. Mostly because.. the fuck have I done with Britannia lately? Exactly.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue May 14, 2013 4:12 am UTC

I would just like to remind people about the chunk hazard from last year.
If anyone would like some tours of the spawn area either towards the unicorn(which I will eventually finish once I get a lot of rainbow wool) or towards the lava wall. I would like to remind some people of the great past out there.
these are words
type, type, type

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue May 14, 2013 4:42 am UTC

I do have some friends who want to join the server soon, and they like touring existing infrastructure. A spawn move could be done, which I think would solve a lot of things. Alternatively, we could wipe just the nether. Maybe.

(I'm still unable to get on at the moment...)
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Wed May 15, 2013 1:48 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Kain wrote:The offer of the diamond block only applies to Taily_Po, by the way :)

And the US Customs and Border protection agency will pay you an emerald block for peacefully and successfully relocating him back to the village.

Roosevelt, is this offer still valid? I uh...I kept the dude as a roommate, since I was away, tempting to 'suade the institutions of higher learning to take me on as one of their disciples. But I'm back now and I would prefer to live without the big oaf if I get an emerald block out of it. :mrgreen:

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun May 19, 2013 6:17 am UTC

I have completely forgotten the context of that post. Also, I understand the CBP head was replaced in the last election.

So... maybe?

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon May 20, 2013 3:00 am UTC

As I recall (had to look up, same difference). Tally-Po had claimed a plot of land south of my backgammon board, where there just so happened to the last surviving iron golem from my week of war against the lag-golems (that was when y'all had the golem factory that ended up releasing about 300 iron golems onto my land, and made unbearable lag). I offered him a block of diamond to kill it and post proof, and you offered him a block of emerald to save it and relocate it to the village.
My offer still stands (assuming that no one raided my chests and removed my diamond blocks), not because of any lingering animosity towards that golem, but because I am a blaze of my word.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 21, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

So, a Diamond Block for one thing, and an Emerald Block for another?

I'll give 64 sponges to whoever gets it to my Airairport.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri May 24, 2013 3:45 pm UTC

Does "it" have to be the precise iron golem in question? Because I could totally trade a few iron blocks and whatever else it takes to make an iron golem (I haven't played vanilla in a while, quiet you) to get some sponges to randomly hide in people's basements...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Fri May 24, 2013 3:55 pm UTC

Random question in the middle of everything: Is it possible to pick up monster spawners in Survival?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri May 24, 2013 4:00 pm UTC

No.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri May 24, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

Not unless you are playing survival with a modded version of minecraft. Vanilla Minecraft has no way of doing that (which frankly makes it more fun to set up mob traps, compared to the methods available in say, Minecraft Portal Gun, or Soul Shards).

Feylias

Map Reset?

Postby Feylias » Mon May 27, 2013 8:09 pm UTC

The XKCD server has, when you look at it in your servers list, the text
Go read the forums - Considering Map Reset - Weigh in with your opinion.
I think I already made my argument
Spoiler:
Short version: We're the only server in the multiverse that has as much history as we do, and that is worth a lot. We're the only server where you can invest stupid amounts of time on a project and have some hope of it still being around a dozen fortnights later in a form that you can share, also worth a lot. And we can treat any challenges like IRL challenges; if we need to move closer to each other and tear down/rebuild sections of the world, we can do that. If we need to create mass transit, we can do that. If we need to create kludge-solutions that work within the structure of the server (like the airports, we can do that.)
but if the discussion/decision is to be a thing, I thought I'd post a prompt/notice here too so that anyone who hasn't weighed in doesn't think it's completely blown over yet.
Spoiler:
I don't think I could really explain what my Mordor/Fiddler's green project means to me. Rationally it's just a silly thing, and with a few hours in MCedit I could make the whole shebang without difficulty; hardly high creativity or aesthetic design. Still, I've sunk so many hours into flattening and building the field, roofing it with glass, terraforming and de-greening/de-animaling the area to be under the sky, laying sky, and so on, that I have added my Fiddler's Green to what my mind thinks of as one of my homes, and the area beneath the sky is a neighborhood of mine. I have fond memories of walking (we didn't run back then) and swimming for three Minecraft days (hiding through most of the nights) to make it from spawn to where I lived, and of running back and forth on the overworld with a backpack full of priceless gunpowder from Monkey's mob farm. The miner's outpost where IWBTS is was what happened when the Nether got added and I built a long long tunnel through the Nether to where I thought the 'Green was, but I came out several hundred meters away because I wasn't really using coordinates well, and I nearly got killed by an army of creepers when I tunnelled upwards through the ground and came out in a lake that was half covered by grass shelf. I had to tower up to the sky limit (shorter then) and spend the night up there (while I was up there I built an arrow pointing to the 'Green. Because I had time to kill. The arrow's still there.) I remember when I first settled where the Green is now it's because I saw a huge network of caves and decided it'd be a convenient place to settle. I made a pillar and put three floating cobble blocks covered with torches, each hovering a few meters above the next, so that I wouldn't get too lost in the area. Later, I built a huge dirt wall and got grass on top. This wall, because I wanted to block off monsters from at least one direction and there was a natural cliff there anyway that mobs could dive onto me from. My home was a hobbit-hole with flowers in the windows. I eventually moved to a platform that was a short distance from the top of the dirt wall, and I got my pig-riding achievement from that platform. I'd also just barely started building my glass roof then. I missed the hobbit hole, but it was too far from everything I was actually doing, and I no longer needed it. I regret not taking screenshots, but I still have saved server maps from these eras.

http://imgur.com/Dm5zW
http://imgur.com/r9vDA
http://imgur.com/raAba

That was long winded. The 'green is my home, though it's largely sterile/boring now and I'll have to work on that. Mordor's the main project, of course. I think I can say without hyperbole that if I were hit by a bus and dying, one of the things I'd regret was not finishing Mordor.

All of that was preamble. I care about Mordor and the 'Green. They matter to me.

I'd rather lose all of Mordor and the 'Green, but have the rest of the server not reset, than have the server be reset and no longer a place for us to survival multiplay.

Of course, in a pinch I'd just get the map and get it hosted
Spoiler:
I am always cautious when I'm thinking of inviting someone to this server. We're awesome enough I don't want to bring in people who are, well, ignorant jerks. I never think about recruiting for recruitment's sake, and just assume that like-minded people will follow roughly the same path I did to get to this server (I figured I'd fit in better with XKCDites.)

Thinking about it, I guess I can see that part of the point is to have a server where forumites can play as a community, and this means forumites who want a simple server maybe ought to have one and that if I want to avoid having the Rippy map get reset to act as this home I can possibly accomplish that goal by starting a new map, like Psion's was but more vanilla.

Shoot, maybe I should do exactly that and right now. Time to turn on the AC and start researching. I should probably learn Java also.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 pm UTC

There doesn't seem to be a strong "Reset" faction, but a moderate "That'd be cool, I guess. Whatever" faction.

There is a strong "Don't Reset" faction.

There's an even larger silent faction, but whatever. There pretty much always is.

Point being, unless a bunch of compelling reasons appear on why we should reset, I'm shelving the reset idea.

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Wed May 29, 2013 3:18 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:I have completely forgotten the context of that post. Also, I understand the CBP head was replaced in the last election.

So... maybe?

Yes yes, Kain has it right. Although I didn't know the context of his offer - I thought he was giving me a newb quest (and, as I'd never seen an iron golem before, I thought it might also be a suicidal quest - I was still working on end-game at the time so I didn't want to look it up for fear of spoilers).
But I couldn't bring it to kill him. Relocation sounded so much nicer.
I kinda wanna keep him, but I have such a terrible tendency of starting something and not finishing it that it'd feel awfully satisfying to actually get this 'done'. I'll try to move the iron golem tonight and post screen shots if I can - reward or no reward.

Taily_Po

Newb Quest

Postby Taily_Po » Wed May 29, 2013 5:22 am UTC

Oh wow. Okay. Um...

Anyone wanna fess up? I made a tunnel from my 'home' to the Iron Golem's new home, and...well...let's paint you a picture with pictures, rather than words, yeah?

See, my home was built around a natural hole in the ground, including a waterfall. Bigfoot fell in a long time ago - and somehow survived. I had planned to build an underground railroad to get him out (and I did build a railroad, but in the wrong direction).

Instead, I just built a tunnel. I was going to escort the bigfoot along the streets. ...only, since my long hiatus, the streets have changed. And there's little control in streets. So recently, I dug back into the ground. When I wrote the message to Roosevelt, I had the tunnel completed. I expected some minor hiccups but...

Well, let me try again. Actually, it's not letting me attach the image here; let me attach it in the next post maybe?

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Wed May 29, 2013 5:36 am UTC

You can follow the "story" by looking at each pic from 1 to 7.
Attachments
1 bigfoot maybe.png
2 bigfoot going out of my home.png
3 bigfoot going back down again.png
4 just before some stairs.png
5 bigfoot doesn't like being picked on.png
6 more pushing - he tall.png
7 suddenly.png

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 am UTC

You got it to the library? Digging around under there is going to be ... problematic.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed May 29, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Since the end of the world has been canceled, I might as well build something again. I'm in the mood! And with that I mean, that I logged in, dug a single block and two thousand followed. I swear I need to stop playing survival and switch to creative. Why is it so fascinating to hold the mouse button down for hours on end and forget to do laundry, homework and proper dinner? Augh! Minecraft is killing me...

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu May 30, 2013 3:17 am UTC

I can finally log back in to the main server! Thanks ST if some voodoo finally worked out, or thank the heavenly spinach gods!

... Time to have some fun.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu May 30, 2013 5:15 am UTC

Super fun server surprise!

So there will be a few things to say in this post. The museum is having a bit of a fun weekend and would like to invite people to a surprise event sometime this weekend, so Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The time will be determined by when most people will be available. I am on the east coast of the US so locations might help us figure out general times.

Some of the events will include Spleef, PvP in a few different fashions, and there might be a couple of surprises.

I will provide some of my own prizes, if anyone else wants to add to the prizes that is up to them. Currently I am thinking of giving away some of my emerald blocks.

I talked with Steax about some of the more interesting things that could be done.

I will gladly provide at minimum of iron armour for those that need it.

So this weekend, pandora, I wan't to see as many of you as possible.
these are words
type, type, type

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu May 30, 2013 3:22 pm UTC

I'll help with supplies and equipment. And maybeeee some surprises.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu May 30, 2013 4:43 pm UTC

All Hail the Silent Faction!

I'd probably play more, but I've been busy... And jobless. Job searching sucks. So much...

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 pm UTC

Would anyone like to give any idea to their availability for surprise weekend?
these are words
type, type, type

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu May 30, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

So long as it's before 6PST, I'm probably in.

As for Tally: It appears your golem quest and my expansion of the not-so-secret-anymore undercroft kinda... collided. Go ahead and knock out some bookshelves if you need to.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 pm UTC

Saturday works best for me, pretty much anytime.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Fri May 31, 2013 5:37 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:So long as it's before 6PST, I'm probably in.

As for Tally: It appears your golem quest and my expansion of the not-so-secret-anymore undercroft kinda... collided. Go ahead and knock out some bookshelves if you need to.

Thanks - I had an idea how to get around/under it, though it looks like you fixed it for me!
Speaking of - if I went through anyone else's projects (I bumped into a couple of caves down there, but they looked natural), I'm totally willing to donate the blocks and/or time to 'fix' 'em.

And I'm done! question complete, bigfoot relocated. yay.
Attachments
2013-05-30_22.33.00.png
2013-05-30_22.32.39.png

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 am UTC

SO are most people alright with Saturday, possibly midday or in evening depending on where you are?
these are words
type, type, type

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

So, my madness hasn't subsided yet and thusly I am in need of a name for this architecturial pipe-dream abomination. Suggestions?

It's supposed to be a town like structure designed by a failing society with delusions of grandeur during their final days. The town was a financial fiasco and the nail in the coffin of the local nation. After the last inhabitants died, the occassional wandering tribe moved in, only to die off as well. Everything looks shiny, because there are cleaning magics at work, but the aether around the area is littered with the ghastly souls of countless victims. Curse the architects! Curse them all!

Or, you know, it's an earthscraper with a made up history. And not finished yet. Not by far.

Voekoevaka

Postby Voekoevaka » Fri May 31, 2013 10:19 pm UTC

Do you have checked the new villager noises on last snapshot ? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in minecraft.
I'm a dozenalist and a believer in Tau !

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:55 am UTC

A few interesting things, step one is I propose we create a committee for the betterment of Antarctica. Part of the betterment will provide them with economic stability by starting a large strip mining operation out there.

Now onto the more important news, the surprise event will be held on Saturday, today. I will try and be on starting at 3 PM EST. I hope that works for as many people as possible. I am a bit outside of pandora but that information can come later.
these are words
type, type, type

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:52 am UTC

Works for me.

If anyone's interested, I can put up some stacks of Nether Quartz as prizes for some of the events, or at least a raffle of some kind.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

If I manage to come on, I will likely be in a state of rather lost concentration, seeing as it's 3 AM. But I'll try!

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:04 pm UTC

sorry steax. Next time there I set up a surprise games weekend I will try and make it at a later time or earlier time to accommodate the folks on the other half of the world.

So an Edit to talk about the event, we had a pretty good turnout. I am thinking about one next saturday at either noon EST or midnight between saturday and sunday EST. whichever works best for people. Once again there will be some prizes.
these are words
type, type, type

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

I seem to be unable to break leaves and they stopped decaying on their own. Does anybody else have this issue?

Edit: In fact, I can't break any block without the proper tool, meaning I can't dig dirt with bread or chop wood with a flower. I suspect I might be in weird game mode (adventure?), because I got randomly teleported to Britannia. A message about switching game mode popped up and I killed myself to get back to the old world, so maybe I got stuck in this game mode. Halp?

Edit2: Fixed, thanks to siropu* The solution was to enter the interdimensional rift from Pandora again and then leave towards the Real World. That changed my game mode back to normal. I guess you're not supposes to die in Britannia.

*No time for proper spelling, time is of the essence!

Return to “Gaming”