Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

headprogrammingczar

Re: Minecraft

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:25 am UTC

It looks like chickenbones is the issue. All of those URLs are 404 and I can't find updated ones. It looks like the site changed to use adfly. :(

Spawn is fairly full. There's room by the nether portal and that's it. There's loads of room to the north, though.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 pm UTC

When would be the best time for me to come on for best funtimes?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:05 pm UTC

[miasacraft] I wish I wasnt aparently bad at configs, everytime I try to get on miasacraft I feel dumb.
They call me Mr. Piman

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 am UTC

[MIASACraft] Error trying to start MCUpdater because it can't connect to http://miasacraft.cbouton.com/ServerPack.xml. Browser can't get there either.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 am UTC

The server was briefly down. Infina has it back up now.
<Cheese> I love you

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:17 pm UTC

MaFraL wrote:So, I found this map hanging on one of my walls. Is there a giant bender floating in the ocean somewhere or is this from Steax/Rirez playing with admin powers?

So, I tried to duplicate this map and zoom it out to go looking for bender. When I craft it with 8 pieces of paper to enlarge the map it crafts a map with a low number (map 0 on the first attempt and map 1 on the second). After leaving the crafting menu the maps were renumbered as 230 and 232. Anyway, the zoomed out maps were blank. Does that normally happen if you try to change a map made by someone else?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:56 am UTC

[MIASA] I keep getting a "failed to verify username, session authentication server unavailable" problem. Doesn't seem to be mojang's, because I can access my other servers...

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:It looks like chickenbones is the issue. All of those URLs are 404 and I can't find updated ones. It looks like the site changed to use adfly. :(

To be honest, the links I was using came from behind adf.ly links. I am looking at other options for the pack right now. With some recent changes in the rules for iChun's mods, I am going to look at putting the mods into an FTB private pack. With such a change, I may look into using the FTB configs, which may make a change on the server world.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:23 am UTC

Steax wrote:[MIASA] I keep getting a "failed to verify username, session authentication server unavailable" problem. Doesn't seem to be mojang's, because I can access my other servers...

Same here. It's been happening for a couple days now.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat May 10, 2014 4:52 pm UTC

Due to recent complaints about the lack of forest in Black Forest, we started our newest building project to address this issue. Once finished, Black Forest Resort will be able to offer a nice walk in the forest, without all those pesky monsters, dirt, grass, insects, earth, sand, mud, water or life forms other than Quercus acerifolia. If you encounter any dirt, please contact us, so we can dispatch a Nature Exposure Team to decontaminate* you and remove the offending dirt. We will also offer an automated smelting facility with free fuel for our industrial partners.

*Decontamination may result in dry skin, popping ear drums, split hair, a metalic taste in the mouth, bone loss, bleached irises, loose teeth, loss of blood and occasional minor cases of serious brain damage.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu May 15, 2014 2:17 am UTC

http://map.miasacraft.cbouton.com/

I has a server map for the modded server...always up to date.

Please note that it is currently rendering, and may take some time to complete...
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 am UTC

Can we have this map listed in the OP for the server?

In other news, Forestry bees are really hard to get into, but knowing how the Extra Bees machines work makes it much more reliable to progress.
<Cheese> I love you

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 pm UTC

Actually, if someone wants to PM me the information (IP of server, mods needed, who to PM for access, map link) because I'm lazy and don't want to dig that up on my own, I'll add it to the OP of the thread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Actually, if someone wants to PM me the information (IP of server, mods needed, who to PM for access, map link) because I'm lazy and don't want to dig that up on my own, I'll add it to the OP of the thread.

Sent. I could give you the full mod list, but it is kept up to date in the /r/MIASACraft subreddit.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu May 22, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

Minecraft Realms is now available across the globe...

... and I couldn't resist. I know a Realms server is not really an alternative to Xkcraftia, but if anyone is interested in a clean slate, just PM me with your username and I'll add ya. I mainly got me a server, because I'd love to play some creative mode, but still be able to share it with others.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 am UTC

I'm still not completely sold on Realms as a thing. How much does it actually cost?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu May 29, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

I don't like Realms because it doesn't support snapshot builds.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:54 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:I don't like Realms because it doesn't support snapshot builds.

Or command blocks.
Or texture packs.

You can play survival, and make basic buildings, but nothing super exciting.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu May 29, 2014 10:59 pm UTC

So good enough for the majority of players, then.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri May 30, 2014 12:44 am UTC

It sounds pretty weird for it not to support command blocks, though, since they're an actual integral part of the game.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I'm still not completely sold on Realms as a thing. How much does it actually cost?

In Europe, 10€ per month (9€ and 8€ respectively, if you buy several months of time), either as one-time payment or ongoing costs. The servers have unlimited terrian and all game modes (not sure about terrain generation, though). But the perfomance is nothing write home about. One more than one occasion I was standing at the edge of the world, waiting for the next chunk to load.

Supposedly command blocks are going to be added at a later date, but that might just be an empty promise. They're easy enough to exploit to make a server go boom, so I doubt they'll ever find a solution to avoid players over-taxing their servers. At least the host/mods have all commands available.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:36 pm UTC

I haven't been around in a while cause I forgot my minecraft password but I finally got around to resetting it. Is the main server down?
these are words
type, type, type

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:06 pm UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:I haven't been around in a while cause I forgot my minecraft password but I finally got around to resetting it. Is the main server down?

It appears to be down.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:19 pm UTC

I see the problem. Submitting a ticket.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:05 am UTC

ST: I was on the server and lost my connection. For quite some time now it's shown me as still logged in and I can't get back on. Can you do something server side to disconnect me please? Thanks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:07 am UTC

Shouldn't be a problem...as all the servers are currently down.

Huh.

m4d4sb34ns

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:49 pm UTC

Maybe they can make Minecraft 2 (Now with Modding Tools And Easy Plug-n-Play Modability).

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

ST: The server is *very* laggy. Also, the Tectonicus map doesn't show up after following the link.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:11 am UTC

So I logged in tonight and it worked. Going back on the server was nice and fun. Would anyone be interested in having a server wide game day again? I still have some nice supplies stored up so I could always give some fun things away.
these are words
type, type, type

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:35 pm UTC

I'd be down for that.
I stopped playing for a while because it seemed like every time I logged in, my inventory and ender-chest was empty. More recently I've been hankering to revisit some of my old projects and maybe start a couple of new ones though. It would be nice to have some kind of impetuous to actually log back in.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Derek

Postby Derek » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:09 pm UTC

Coin wrote:
Notch wrote:Hey, cool, Minecraft. :D

/me is the dev.

I salute you sir.
My predictions for the future are: Sunny and with some excellent gameplay.

Bra jobbat!

Pretty good prediction, Coin.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:58 am UTC

So, Mojang is being purchased by Microsoft. I hope this doesn't change thing too much, although that may prove to be an unrealistic dream.
N&A link.
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:09 pm UTC

A huge amount of Minecraft culture is built around Notch himself

Let's build our culture around a person who pretty clearly doesn't want to be the center of attention and would like if everyone just left him alone! What could possibly go wrong?

Dude's cashed out already, doubleplus cashing out is just not being stupid. Also, keeping his word as he has said that 2 billion was his "you now own me" number.

Minecraft has the Dwarf Fortress problem of "was written by one guy in a way that made sense to one guy, but could probably be written a lot better in some other way", except it also has incredible popularity and a batshit insane fanbase of psychotic 12 year olds. There is no real way to successfully re-do Minecraft in a way that makes things more stable without altering fundamentals of the game and basically starting over from zero.

Microsoft has been trying to get that sweet, sweet gamer loyalty for years and has adopted the EA method of "Just buy companies better at it than you", and forgetting the "then gut them and milk their names until they're bone dry, then repurpose them if you can"

So, what I'm saying is that Microsoft's track record is a lot less evil than EA, so at least it's got that going for it.

So yeah, Notch made a completely logical and rational business move as he doesn't want to run a gaming company, was uncomfortable running a gaming company, and really wishes he could just fade back into obscurity.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:38 pm UTC

Ironically, Minecraft 2 could be a huge step forward. Take it out of Java. Be really ruthless in making the blocks look right. Add machinery, since that's half of what a lot of big modpacks add.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Ironically, Minecraft 2 could be a huge step forward. Take it out of Java. Be really ruthless in making the blocks look right. Add machinery, since that's half of what a lot of big modpacks add.

Java is probably half the reason that Minecraft has been so widely ported. I mean, I guess you can get that kind of portability with C++, as long as you're careful not to use any dialect-specific features, but it's just so much easier with Java.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:50 pm UTC

All I know is that I've been there since Alpha, and if they start charging me for new versions, I'll be upset (notch said that all upgrades would be free forever when I got into the game).
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:All I know is that I've been there since Alpha, and if they start charging me for new versions, I'll be upset (notch said that all upgrades would be free forever when I got into the game).

I think this is going to be Microsoft's big dilemma. For now they can just keep selling Minecraft and it will continue to make lots of money, but at some point the market is going to become saturated and it's going to become hard to sell more copies of the game. Additionally, the game engine is going to become increasingly out of date, and they will have ambitious new ideas that will be prohibitively expensive to implement.

At this point releasing a Minecraft 2 is going to start to look pretty attractive: They can do a major rewrite of the game to bring it up to date, and they can get old fans to buy the game again. But it will almost certainly anger many fans who have become accustomed to getting free content updates.

My prediction is that they will do it eventually. A studio can't support itself forever on a single game that only needs to be purchased once. They could try producing a totally new game, but I don't think Microsoft will go that route. They bought Mojang for the Minecraft brand, not for the development team. The question then is when will they do it, and I think the answer to that depends on how long Minecraft continues to rake in money at it's current rate.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

Or a few years after minecraft 2 release the source code for minecraft 1 and let people mod any way they like.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

Derek wrote:Additionally, the game engine is going to become increasingly out of date, and they will have ambitious new ideas that will be prohibitively expensive to implement.

IIRC the engine already has changed a few times (major changes from indev to alpha, to beta, to 1.0 etc.). We weren't charged these times, and I will feel betrayed and upset if "minecraft v. 3" comes out, with a updated graphical engine (this has happened before too), and they decide I should buy it as a new game. Here's the link from mojang on free updates forever.

I suspose it all comes down to how you parse "updates" in the future, vs. how "updates" were handled in the past.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “Gaming”