Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Derek

Re: Minecraft

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:13 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:IIRC the engine already has changed a few times (major changes from indev to alpha, to beta, to 1.0 etc.). We weren't charged these times, and I will feel betrayed and upset if "minecraft v. 3" comes out, with a updated graphical engine (this has happened before too), and they decide I should buy it as a new game. Here's the link from mojang on free updates forever.

I suspose it all comes down to how you parse "updates" in the future, vs. how "updates" were handled in the past.

Yes, you clearly fall under:
Derek wrote:But it will almost certainly anger many fans who have become accustomed to getting free content updates.

But that doesn't change the equation. Microsoft needs to make money out of Mojang. For now it's fine to keep things running as usual, but that won't last forever. At some point, maybe in two years, maybe five, maybe ten, they'll need a new source of revenue. At that point they have two choices: Make an entirely new game, or make Minecraft 2. I think the choice is fairly clear, and at that point Notch's words won't mean anything (and the PR department will wave complaints off by saying that it's a new title, not an upgrade).

King Author

Postby King Author » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:19 pm UTC

Things I am not looking forward to in "Microsoft Minecraft"
1) Needing a Microsoft Account to play Minecraft.
2) Having to pay a monthly fee to play Minecraft.
3) Having to pay for updates.
4) In-game advertisements for Microsoft products.
5) User content having to go through an official Microsoft channel.
6) Extensive censorship of mods, skins, etc. per Microsoft's standards.
7) Mods, etc. only being available through an in-game Minecraft Store.
8) The Minecraft Store itself: mods, skins, etc. costing real-life money.
9) "Windows 8 Exclusive!"

My one solace? Minecraft is not a technically impressive game. It's a novel idea, but the core code is something any programmer worth their salt could throw together in a week. And in fact, people have done Minecraft clone one-week-programming challenges. So with any luck, some small group will make a really great Minecraft clone that people really get behind.

Because I've actually played some Minecraft clones that worked just fine...but nobody plays them so there's no community, no mods, etc.

Of course, Minecraft's spirital successor will inevitably get bought up by some big soulless company some years down the line, but then the replacement will just need a replacement, ad infinitum. Such is the plight of really good indie games -- they don't stay indie for long.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

King Author

Postby King Author » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:43 pm UTC

Listen to this PR-speak drivel.

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-bei ... microsoft/

What about the other editions of Minecraft? Will they stop being developed?
There’s no reason for the development, sales, and support of the PC/Mac, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, Vita, iOS, and Android versions of Minecraft to stop. Of course, Microsoft can’t make decisions for other companies or predict the choices that they might make in the future.

We’re extremely proud of all editions and the awesome things you have achieved through playing together.

Translation: Microsoft will impose fees, etc. on other platforms for the ability to run Minecraft. Those companies will say "no dice," and Minecraft will eventually be unplayable on anything but Windows 8 and Microsoft Phone.

Is the game going to change? Will we still be able to make videos, mods, awesome builds, and all the cool stuff we’ve created over the past few years?
Minecraft will continue to evolve, just like it has since the start of development. We don’t know specific plans for Minecraft’s future yet, but we do know that everyone involved wants the community to grow and become even more amazing than it’s ever been. Stopping players making cool stuff is not in anyone’s interests.

Translation: If you wanna continue doing that stuff, you'll have to partner up with Microsoft, obey their policies and pay extensive fees. So no, you won't be able to do cool stuff. Hope you saved a cracked version of 1.8. Though Microsoft will likely put an end to Minecraft piracy with over-the-top, Napster-era lawsuits, so expect to get sued if you play cracked Minecraft.

What’s happening to the other Mojang projects, like Scrolls?
We don’t know yet. We’ll share any news as soon as we do.

Translation: Microsoft bought Mojang for Minecraft, not this crap. They'll cancel it faster than Banjo-Threeie.

Will you still be able to tweet about features and interact with the community on a personal level, just like you’ve done over the years?
Yes! That’s not going to change.

Translation: Of course we're gonna keep tweeting and such -- as the mouthpieces of Microsoft. Be sure to keep an eye out for our glowing reviews of Microsoft products, our nonstop praise of everything Microsoft does and justification after justification for our soul-selling butchery of Minecraft as it devolves into a pay-to-play piece of shit. Thanks for the years of support, kindly go fuck yourselves while we swim around in 2.5 billion smackeroos.
I have signitures disabled. If you do, too...you can't read this, so nevermind >_>

Derek

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

King Author wrote:Things I am not looking forward to in "Microsoft Minecraft"

Pretty much none of this is going to happen. This and the above post are based on unfounded fears. Microsoft is well aware that the openness of Minecraft is what has allowed it to become so successful, and sacrificing that to try to boost other Microsoft products isn't going to be a profitable long-term strategy.

They will, at some point, release a Minecraft 2. I'm sure of that, but it will probably still be a few years away. That game might be F2P and attempt to run on a subscription (unlikely) or premium content (more likely) model, but I suspect the most likely route is to release it as a traditional title.

They have literally 0 motivation to try to crack down on user-generated content, that can do nothing but harm sales in the long run and they know that.

Making the game platform exclusive is also highly unlikely, because quite frankly Minecraft is bigger than several of their platforms. They would lose more than they would gain from exclusivity. Look at Microsoft Office: It is available on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows Phone. At most Microsoft platforms will get special attention with regards to bug fixes and earlier update releases.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:35 pm UTC

That guarantee (free upgrades) only applies to alpha owners of minecraft.

They can continue to honor that, while requiring anyone who bought it post-alpha to pony up new money.

And DLC can be added without breaking that promise. Or in-app purchases(evil).

Or in-game markets (someone writes a script to create awesome new worlds in the Minecraft engine, and Minecraft Market lets you buy the right to use that script to create your own world for 5$. Microsoft takes 30% of that transaction.)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:38 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't see them making Minecraft owners pay more.

But Minecraft World or Minecraft Space or Minecraft Dimensions or Minecraft Universe or Minecraft 2 : Electric Mining Harder Boogaloo...

That's a completely new game, and not subject to the Minecraft promise.

You'll still be able to play Minecraft, but Minecraft Deuce will be easier to mod, have more crap in it (like Shields!) and run on more devices at the start.

And in another 5 years, Minecraft 3 will be a PC/XBox Exclusive.

Minecraft itself will still be playable, the real question is who will be playing it at that time.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

King Author

Postby King Author » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:56 am UTC

Derek wrote:
King Author wrote:Things I am not looking forward to in "Microsoft Minecraft"

Pretty much none of this is going to happen. This and the above post are based on unfounded fears. Microsoft is well aware that the openness of Minecraft is what has allowed it to become so successful, and sacrificing that to try to boost other Microsoft products isn't going to be a profitable long-term strategy.

They will, at some point, release a Minecraft 2. I'm sure of that, but it will probably still be a few years away. That game might be F2P and attempt to run on a subscription (unlikely) or premium content (more likely) model, but I suspect the most likely route is to release it as a traditional title.

They have literally 0 motivation to try to crack down on user-generated content, that can do nothing but harm sales in the long run and they know that.

Making the game platform exclusive is also highly unlikely, because quite frankly Minecraft is bigger than several of their platforms. They would lose more than they would gain from exclusivity. Look at Microsoft Office: It is available on Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows Phone. At most Microsoft platforms will get special attention with regards to bug fixes and earlier update releases.

They are absolutely, 100% going to find a way to charge users fees for playing Minecraft. Consider, they spent 2.5 billion dollars acquiring Mojang. Minecraft hasn't even made that much money yet, and so many people already have accounts, it's not like they can expect revenue to roll in from that.

There's absolutely no way Microsoft shelled out that kinda cash unless they expect to make more than that much in return. How do you expect them to make more than - and not just more than, but significantly more than - 2.5 billion dollars profit off Minecraft?

If we go with your line of thinking and (generously) assume Microsoft isn't full of morons, then they should know damn well "Minecraft 2" wouldn't be as popular as the original Minecraft, wouldn't get as many downloads, etc. So they certainly can't be expecting to make any large portion of money off Minecraft 2.

Where else are they going to make money? Branding? Liscensing? Toys? All of that combined is not going to make enough money to justify spending 2.5 billion acquiring Mojang. The only possible way they can turn a profit off of this transaction is to somehow charge existing players of the existing Minecraft to play the game.

Optimistically it'll come in the form of "premium content." But even if that were it, that alone would ruin the feel and destroy the soul of Minecraft, which until this purchase sat upon the throne as the king of indie games.

Even if they allow Minecraft to keep developing for other platforms, support will definitely suffer. Do you really think Microsoft is going to dedicate any large amount of time or money on the Linux version of Minecraft? The Windows8/Phone versions will get the brunt of the attention; faster updates and bugfixes, fast-tracked added content, etc.

You're right about one thing -- a Minecraft 2 is inevitable, and that alone dooms Minecraft. Minecraft 2 will inevitably suck, and their focus on the project will inevitably draw official support away from the original Minecraft until eventually they cut off support altogether, and the game truly, literally officially dies.

Though that'll be a mere confirmation of fact. Minecraft is already dead. This deal killed it.

And that's not just hyperbole. The guy who created and maintains the Forge Mod Loader quit Minecraft and ended the FML development cycle when Microsoft bought Mojang. And if you didn't know, something like 90% of Minecraft mods (and 100% of the good ones) require Forge Mod Loader to run.

Minecraft 1.8 is the last version of Minecraft because it's the last version with a functioning Forge Mod Loader. There isn't going to be another FML (people will try, but multiple different people will all try different projects; the project will become hopelessly split, majority support won't gravitate towards any one replacement, and the replacements will never be as good as the original), which means mod development will suffer greatly, and Minecraft is all about the mods.

The saddest part is, people will accept all the awful changes sure to come to Minecraft. (People such as yourself are already mounting defenses and rationalizations.) Look at YouTube. There was a time when YouTube didn't have commercials or in-video pop-up advertisements. Once Google got their insiduous grip on it, though, that all changed, and people were pissed. But they didn't stop using YouTube.

Companies can get away with anything because we let them. And it's not just tech stuff. It's a common practice in food manufacturing to reduce the size of products without reducing the price as a means of increasing profit. And we all know they do it, but do we stop buying things from companies that do this? Of course not. We accept it.

Minecraft will become crap, people will complain, but they won't stop using it, they won't stop buying into it, and eventually, we'll forget that Minecraft was ever good and fun and had a soul, just like everything else good on the internet that eventually goes to crap because some giant soulless company gets their mitts on it.

Well, at least I've got my pre-ordered Occulus Rift to look forward to, to take my mind off this Minecraft debacle.

Oh, wait.

firesoul31

Postby firesoul31 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:31 am UTC

Ironically, Minecraft finally dying (through the form of not receiving updates) may be one of the best things to happen to it mod-wise (although I am still unsure that it will die).
Pronouns: she/her/hers or they/them please.

Derek

Postby Derek » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:49 am UTC

That's all ridiculous exaggeration. I'm not saying that Minecraft is going to be fine, but I am saying that it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be. What you have described is an excellent way for Microsoft to burn the brand to ashes in a few years and ensure that they never make their money back. Even EA and Activision aren't that stupid, and definitely not Microsoft. They'll get all the easy money they can from the fans before they start squeezing, and there is a lot more easy milk in that cow.

The maintainer of a mod manager quitting is not something you can blame on Microsoft, and half the time these people come back anyways. Even if he doesn't, that doesn't mean the game is dead. You underestimate the open source community, the minecraft community, and particularly the intersection of the two. Minecraft isn't the first game to have a community mod manager, and it's not the first game to have to switch to a new one. There is a good chance that Mojang could even make an official mod manager, because Mojang and Microsoft know how important mods are to the community. Skyrim, Civ, and other games have official mod managers built in for the same reason.

King Author wrote:Look at YouTube. There was a time when YouTube didn't have commercials or in-video pop-up advertisements. Once Google got their insiduous grip on it, though, that all changed, and people were pissed. But they didn't stop using YouTube.

lol, you think Youtube wasn't going to have ads? The third most popular website and largest consumer of bandwidth in the world was just going to be a free service forever? Quite frankly Youtube probably has fewer ads because Google acquired them, because Google actually knows how to make ads (somewhat) profitable. Have you seemed Youtube's competitors lately? They're way worse.

Companies can get away with anything because we let them. And it's not just tech stuff. It's a common practice in food manufacturing to reduce the size of products without reducing the price as a means of increasing profit. And we all know they do it, but do we stop buying things from companies that do this? Of course not. We accept it.

It's also common practice to increase the size of products without increasing the cost. Because prices are stickier than the cost of ingredients, so it's easier to change the size than the price. Except when it goes in this direction they like to advertise it with a big "30% more free!" label.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:09 pm UTC

firesoul31 wrote:Ironically, Minecraft finally dying (through the form of not receiving updates) may be one of the best things to happen to it mod-wise (although I am still unsure that it will die).

Eventually having a stable base so all your stuff works forever without constant twerking and downtime would be nice.

A lack of new versions ain't the same as a game being dead. Even if nothing else ever comes out for the game, I'm confident I have many hours of happy playing left in it. Plus, I've most definitely gotten excellent value out of the game already. Definitely a win compared to the many games I've never even played after buying them.

But, I'm not worried about any of that. Microsoft didnt' drop that much cash just to kill it.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

ST: The server appears to be down. (It was up yesterday.)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

Yeah, I thought I had a ticket with them, cannot find it now, reopening one.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:48 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:ST: The server appears to be down. (It was up yesterday.)

The server is back up (thanks ST) and is running 1.8 now.

WARNING: None of the nether portals were lit up. I lit up as many as I could easily find in the Pandora region (both in the overworld and the nether). But anyone traveling anywhere should carry flint & steel to relight any you come across!!! I know there are hundreds scattered around the map, so you should anticipate that any you want to use will need to be lit up.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:19 am UTC

If it's running 1.8, doesn't that mean that dynmap won't work? Or is there a forge or bukkit release for 1.8 already?

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:39 am UTC

F117Landers wrote:If it's running 1.8, doesn't that mean that dynmap won't work? Or is there a forge or bukkit release for 1.8 already?

This server never had a dynamic map.

ST: The server just crashed or some such. There were 3 of us on when it died.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:52 am UTC

Woo!

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:55 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Woo!

Back up now - thanks!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:04 am UTC

Looking at the console, it might go down again. Woo!

Fractangle

Postby Fractangle » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:13 am UTC

I think the server tripped over its own feet again.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:43 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
F117Landers wrote:If it's running 1.8, doesn't that mean that dynmap won't work? Or is there a forge or bukkit release for 1.8 already?

This server never had a dynamic map.

GuitarFreak wrote:[color=#BF0000]Talon-Edit! Active Server List to Follow

[spoiler]216.135.68.230:25569 - running the map Rippy was running, run by Secondtalon. Map can be found here.
PM blalobw, Rooosevelt, Mr. Monkey or Steax for access. You can PM Second Talon, but.. he's probably going to ignore it. For realz. I know the dude. He's a dick. - SecondTalon.

Edit: I'm probably thinking of the wrong server though, come to think of it. Never mind; Please ignore.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:50 am UTC

ST: Server crashed while I was on a couple hours ago. Thought it might come back up by itself, but it hasn't.

edit: now it's up.

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

Hello friends! I have revisited the map again! Ah.. nothing like home!
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:14 pm UTC

...huh

I have no idea what happened, but the users on the frontend got blown out. So, if you had access to reboot the server and whatnot, PM me with what your login name was.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about - ignore me!

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:00 am UTC

ST: server just crashed a few minutes ago.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

Should be good. Multicraft frontpanel collapsed, they moved some things around, disregard my earlier post as everything should be good for people who had access and so on.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:48 am UTC

A sandworm I made. http://imgur.com/a/9oOkB#0
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

AarexTiaokhiao

Postby AarexTiaokhiao » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:39 pm UTC

Join the best prison server: jerseycraft.mcpro.co
I QUIT

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:53 pm UTC

I decided to start playing again so I downloaded 1.8... is the server down, or user error?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:04 am UTC

AarexTiaokhiao wrote:Join the best prison server: jerseycraft.mcpro.co

This, I simply cannot understand. Why the hell would you join a prison server? Its a game where you can go anywhere and build anything, and people join prison servers? Crazy.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:32 am UTC

heatherd and I (mistermoses) are back too. Is there a specific client we need? Do we need to be re-whitelisted?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:32 am UTC

MIASACraft has returned, and is now using the 1.7.10 Direwolf20 pack. We are currently whitelisted, and I have added those I remembered off the top of my head.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

AarexTiaokhiao

Postby AarexTiaokhiao » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:32 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:MIASACraft has returned, and is now using the 1.7.10 Direwolf20 pack. We are currently whitelisted, and I have added those I remembered off the top of my head.

Whitelisted? NO!
I QUIT

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:31 am UTC

Any reasonable server white lists. It's an easy, non-plugin way to stop malicious trolls. And to not game with a bunch of 13 year olds who only have interests in making ... Just terrible melon penises.

If you're going to make a penis, do it right.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:52 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Any reasonable server white lists. It's an easy, non-plugin way to stop malicious trolls. And to not game with a bunch of 13 year olds who only have interests in making ... Just terrible melon penises.

Yeah, I want to learn something about anatomy dammit!

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:58 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Any reasonable server white lists. It's an easy, non-plugin way to stop malicious trolls. And to not game with a bunch of 13 year olds who only have interests in making ... Just terrible melon penises.

What about my house of phallic imagery?
these are words
type, type, type

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:06 am UTC

Yeah, that's fine. Because it's a theme and it's way more effort than the lazy dickmelloner that was just... so... so lazy.

So very lazy.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:41 am UTC

More servers need the xkcd Dong Rules.

SecondTalon wrote:Actually, I'll allow a giant dong to be created, provided it meets the following parameters. Spoiler'd for the disgusting.

Spoiler:
It must be attached to something, providing it a base of sorts. An example of an allowable surface would be a flat cliff face of at least 30 blocks of height, attached in the 15-25 block altitude.

It is required to have two states. The first state needs to give the impression that it is both small (relatively speaking) and affected by gravity, with a relative pointing direction of "down". The second state must be at least double in size, if not more, and to act as though it is ignoring gravity, extending in a mostly horizontal direction.

The states must be selectable by a switch, allowing a user to select their preferred mode. This switch cannot be mounted to the dong, and must be some distance away.

Finally, there must be an arrow shooter in the end, attached to a button near the switch control. The contents of the arrow shooter are negotiable.

The entire thing must be created from gold blocks

TL;DR and/or "Oh god, I'm not opening a spoiler marked as disgusting, what the fuck is wrong with you, Talon?"

I'm fine with a giant dong provided it's anatomically correct and as close to biologically functional as possible. And made of gold.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&p=2913173#p2913579

And clarification about the use of melons:

SecondTalon wrote:
eculc wrote:Ad I recall, the giant dick is supposed to be made of golden blocks, and include a piston mechanism of some sort?

Yes. A giant golden penis that is biologically accurate towards male aroused and not aroused state with the push of a button.

If the testicles are represented by melons, this is also acceptable, just for the melon ball pun.

Using wood is simply too crude and obvious. Or at least it was. With the introduction of shaded wooden planks, I may revise this if someone can show me a mockup.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&p=3119119#p3119126

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:14 am UTC

The Dong was pretty much the only reason command blocks were added.

Edit: Is the server still down?

Feylias

Better Than Wolves

Postby Feylias » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:35 pm UTC

Server is up as of at least last night (probably longer, given how crammed with drops Monkey's spawnside mob farm was.

...it's odd; there are a handful of blocks missing from the XP farm section of Monkey's trap. Nothing is broken, but it's strange; as if either someone was doing maintenance, or as if some of the blocks were vanished during a recent update (including the top half of some wooden doors; very odd.)

...and my portal to Fiddler's green was out, and when I re-lit it it linked to a new location in Mordor. Blast. I'm not sure what can be done about that--if anything.

Oddly, Fiddler's green seems untouched by the weird vanishing. Just the portal outage.

In other news, Better Than Wolves is awesomely hard.
Spoiler:
When you punch trees, you (slowly) get one plank, some sawdust, and a bit of bark.
Eventually you'll have enough wood to make a crafting table and your first wooden pick. Be careful! That crafting table ain't portable; if you break it you'll just get a few planks. The wooden pick will gather one cobble before breaking.
Stone picks gather six cobble before breaking. Below a certain depth the smoothstone gets harder and stone picks can't even gather cobble (but can still gather iron and coal; cave/ravine mining is a good idea.)
Stone and wooden swords and hoes can't be crafted.
An axe only takes two cobble to craft, and is your best early weapon. It also can be used to gather actual logs from trees (and to then split those logs into planks as usual, at the cost of more durability)
Food is super important; jumping and sprinting burn extra hunger (I use dirt slabs to avoid jumping)
Zombies prey on sheep, cows, and pigs. Spiders prey on chickens.

Tall grass doesn't drop anything. If you hoe grass you occasionally get hemp seeds.
Wheat, carrots, and potatoes require a trek to villager-lands.
You can eat a lot of things for some minor food value (cocoa beans, brown mushrooms..)
Fishing requires bait (rotten flesh) and deep water that is open to the sky. The fishing pole recipe requires a nugget of iron as a hook.
When poisoned by food, you're unable to eat until it passes. Rotten flesh is not a viable food, thus; you always lose more than you gain.
Beds are merely decoration (kind of a shame; it won't even let you lie down.)
You burn hunger slowly even when standing absolutely still.
Squid are very dangerous, especially at night, and make the water a bad place to be unless you're armed and watchful.
Torches cost one coal. A furnace is insufficient for crafting charcoal; you'll have to tech up before then.
Iron ore smelts slowly, at one coal per ore, and yields only one iron nugget.
Buckets only carry water flow and milk (but the recipe uses seven nuggets instead of three ingots.

On the plus side, the tech tree looks very interesting. I haven't yet gotten enough fabric together to build a windmill, and I'll need that to power my grinder so I don't burn hunger cranking it, and eventually to power my circular saw so I can build more advanced tools. ...but for now I'm still struggling to get a safe and constant supply of food.

When you die? You're respawned hundreds of meters away, give or take, in a random direction. You'll eventually have a network of little hidey-holes and landmarks so you can find your way to one after dying.

The creator of this Minecraft mod recommends playing on Normal difficulty (the other options are Hard and Hardcore) because that's what he balanced the game for. I should

I have been:

Eaten by a squid I never saw shortly after getting a stone axe.
Driven slowly mad by the darkness (I had a torch, but when I went fully insane I was no longer able to place it.)
Torn apart by starving wolves who went feral.
Devoured by jungle spiders multiple times, most recently while holding a big supply of pumpkin and hemp seeds with which to lure chickens to my biggest base so I could start a farm.
(somewhere around the first jungle spider I decided to stop playing on hardcore mode; a good move)

And on the good side, I've

Risked a bare-handed assault on an armed zombie in the morning and been rewarded with his iron sword. Mobs always drop anything you can see them carrying, so it's often worth the gamble.
Farmed a significant amount of (edible) pumpkin seeds, brown mushrooms, and cocoa beans.
Spent almost all my game time fully invested in my own survival and in the rational need for efficiency in all things.

Recommended.

Install was tricky, so here are install directions for those who are as clumsy as I was:

Make a new profile, set to 1.5.2, and name it something like "Better Than Wolves". Load a world in it to download the .jar, then exit and delete that world.
Enter the Versions folder in your Minecraft directory, and rename the 1.5.2 folder to 1.5.2_BTW. Enter that folder.
Rename 1.5.2.jar to 1.5.2_BTW.jar
Rename 1.5.2.json to 1.5.2_BTW.json
Edit 1.5.2_BTW.json and replace "id":"1.5.2" with "id":"1.5.2._BTW" and save the file.

Now
copy the files from the BTW archive (you downloaded it already, right?) into the 1.5.2_BTW.jar
delete the META-INF folder

Now change the "Better Than Wolves" profile so it's selecting "release 1.5.2_BTW", save that, and you're good to go.

Don't forget and accidentally load your Better Than Wolves savegame from a different world.
So yeah, if starting a new Minecraft save is one of the most fun parts of the game for you, maybe you should give BTW a chance.

I hear the same modder has a KSP and a "7 Days to Die" mod out. Maybe I'll try those later. I'm so behind on my gaming I'm still looking forward to Half Life 2.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:26 pm UTC

As a contribution to the discussion, one other huge source of revenue besides the game is all the toys and accessories. There is a huge market in Minecraft toys and accessories, which, at this point, is probably raking in more than selling copies of the game. The other year, when I was working at Target, those things sold pretty well. And goodness knows every kid I've met under the age of ten is obsessed.

I probably should get on and perform some maintenance for my castle.

Return to “Gaming”