Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Minecraft

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

Well, you only need to buy one copy of the game (unless you screw up and get banned) per person playing it, so in a family of 5 at $30 each, that's $150.

I'm showing the foam sword and pickaxe to be $20 and $18, respectively, so assuming two in the family have no desire for those, that's $114, there's 10 lego sets at $460 for all of them at MSRP, looks like 9 action figure sets at $10, so $90 for that.... and so on. Sure, Mojang/Microsoft only gets a cut of those, but there's a lot more money to be made there.

Selling the game itself? That's a one and done.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:49 am UTC

ST: Server appears to be down again.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:45 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:ST: Server appears to be down again.

It's back up. Thanks.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:04 pm UTC

Were a lot of the portals turned off for a reason?

eta: a lot of them are reconnected now, but probably not all.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:30 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Were a lot of the portals turned off for a reason?

They were all deactivated somehow when the server was upgraded to 1.8. See my Oct 4 post.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:32 pm UTC

ST: The server just crashed a couple minutes ago.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:34 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:Were a lot of the portals turned off for a reason?

They were all deactivated somehow when the server was upgraded to 1.8. See my Oct 4 post.

Ah, thanks. I've been plugging them back in progressively. It seems like some of them avoided the big shutdown though. The book depository, near the sand quarry cane farm was already switched on.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:13 am UTC

oscar_spider wrote:ST: The server just crashed a couple minutes ago.

Server *was* back up. I was on for a few minutes, but as soon as Jestingrabbit joined it lagged horribly then crashed within a minute.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:51 am UTC

oscar noted in a PM that JestingRabbit mentioned something about being in a desert, leaving the city. Can I get that narrowed down a bit more as there are multiple cities with adjacent deserts.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:31 am UTC

Double post because Update - What the hell is near JR's House?
Attachments
8.png
NorthEast 500+ entities are you fucking kidding me
7.png
North
6.png
NorthWest
5.png
West
4.png
SouthWest
3.png
South
2.png
SouthEast
1.png
East

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:34 am UTC

Sheep tower has like... a dozenish on each level. That's 16*12 ~ 200. Call it 250. Add the villagers near there... that's another 100 probably. Then there's the ocelot buildup... a few more dozen. And then a hundred or so for background radiation, and you have your answer I think...

Maybe we should kill the village near there?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:55 am UTC

Yeah. I don't understand why everyone needs their own personal villager farm, and personal sheep farm, and personal mooshroom farm, and so on.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:48 am UTC

The idea of the city was to have all the farms in one place. That's clearly a bad idea. Moving stuff out is going to be tricky though. In particular, the sheep farm was a pretty tricky build first time out. I'm going to think about places it could go that willl at least strip a solid hundred or so from the entity count in the middle of town.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:07 pm UTC

Well, uh.. that... little problem might be solved.

Did you know that I have no idea how to use the radius limiter on commands? oscar_spider knows!

Seriously, I killed every entity loaded at the time, so cats, sheep, mooshrooms, etc. Gone. I restocked some of them, others will take some time.

In the meantime, there's a creeper killer in the UFO above the Barn. It fills the admin chat with spam, but oscar didn't notice it, so it's fine for now.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:The idea of the city was to have all the farms in one place. That's clearly a bad idea. Moving stuff out is going to be tricky though. In particular, the sheep farm was a pretty tricky build first time out. I'm going to think about places it could go that willl at least strip a solid hundred or so from the entity count in the middle of town.

Also, think about sizing the supply to the demand. At this point a simple sheep field with 2 of each color (maybe a couple extra white) would suffice. Even better is to leave out colors that are easy to get via dyes (like red and yellow) in favor of more white. I've found that a small group constantly harvested near where I work yields tons of product. Same principle for cows and chickens. Pigs are pointless compared to cows (except as something to ride).

I would suggest putting sheep by the barn (both with limited stock) to facilitate harvesting both easily whenever someone is there. Small, convenient, and frequent is the key.

Since the hostile mobs have a population cap, controlling the passive populations (animals, villagers, golems, etc) should be paramount.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 am UTC

I guess the tags on my chests were entities, and upped the count by 70ish. Everything's gotta go!

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:53 pm UTC

ST: Server's been down since Jan 24th. Any chance it will be coming back up?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:01 pm UTC

I have a small private server that my close group of internet friends play on, but nobody's very active on it, so I might as well open it up to people on here. It's just vanilla survival. If anyone wants added to the whitelist, let me know.

We only really have two rules: 1, Don't be a dick, unless it's really funny. 2, Don't break the server.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:15 am UTC

So. I'm sure those that play on the server have been wondering what's going on with it.

As you may be aware, I did not pay for hosting. It was hosted at my place of work through a co-worker's side business of renting gaming server space - started out renting Team Fortress, Counter-Strike servers and so on, gradually moved and adapted to the business model as it moved and adapted, ended up renting out Minecraft space, yadda yadda yadda. Not exactly small time in that he was hosting maybe a hundred or so Minecraft servers as well as the other shit, but not exactly a huge fish either.

Point being, as Gaming Hosts sometimes get attacked, over the years his stuff had been attacked from time to time, usually something simple and something dealt with pretty handily.

But he doesn't work for himself and he isn't renting server rack space anymore - it's racked in our Collocation rooms and running off our backend. Hasn't been for years now.

Which is a problem in that since mid-December, his stuff's been under pretty much constant, unrelenting attack. And then our other stuff started getting attacked. Bossman noticed that when the gaming stuff was shut off, the attacks would stop in a few hours. Wait a couple of days, turn it back on, in an hour or so everything's under attack again.

Bossman pretty much said "You're fired as a client - if you turn the game servers back on right now and start running them live, you're fired as an employee"

So, dude isn't entirely sure what his next step is. Other than burning the Minecraft data to disk and handing it to me or otherwise getting me the data. Dude might restart it again in a few months, dude might let it go.

So..... that's where we are. I pretty much took over hosting as it didn't cost me anything to do it. And while I enjoy the game...frankly, I'd also rather not pay out of pocket for a server either.

Who wants to take over hosting?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:04 am UTC

I've loved playing on the server, and its been a lot of fun, but I've pretty much moved on. To other servers, not away from minecraft. Really sorry to hear about the folks attacking your friends business. There ought to be a way to stop this crap.

Anyway, here's a door that opens and closes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yORnsXfNNM
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Who wants to take over hosting?

If there is still much in the way of interest, I will take over the hosting.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

I may start playing again, but not having this server wouldn't be too big of a deal.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:23 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Who wants to take over hosting?

If there is still much in the way of interest, I will take over the hosting.

I've been on it regularly. Fractangle and I were working on a big build recently. I would love to see it keep going.

ST: What were the specs of the server it was hosted on (cpu, mem, network)? Knowing that would help evaluate hosting options.

If it doesn't get re-hosted I'd love a copy of the world. Maybe down the road hosting it would be an option for me.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 pm UTC

See, if I had access to the server, I could tell you how much memory was allocated for it. Hilarious.

I want to say 512MB of RAM was allocated, but it might have been 384. I'll look at the config file when I get the data or if it gets spun up again.

As far as network, it was on the 10Gb backbone, but I don't know how much of it was sectioned off per server.

wam

Postby wam » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:40 pm UTC

I really enjoyed playing on the server but have since moved on from Minecraft but at some point may go back to it.

Make of that what you will
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:59 pm UTC

I still have a private server that is getting just about no use. I believe it has 2048mb of RAM and I'm paying the bill for nobody to play on it at the moment. If anyone doesn't care about the current map (which I am aware has a lot of history), then feel free to ask to be whitelisted to my server. It would be nice to see some people playing on it, as it's currently a bit of a waste of money.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:20 pm UTC

Dthen, are you still running your server?

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:26 am UTC

Er ... I am still running a server. It's currently running a ridiculous number of mods, though. My friend set up a vanilla server as a replacement for it. People are welcome to join the modded server (shoot me a PM or something, I'd need to send you all the mods) and I can ask my friend if people can join the vanilla server (I doubt he will mind).

EDIT: Yeah, just asked him, if you want to join the vanilla server, just post your username here and I'll tell him to whitelist you. The IP is "185.16.85.57:25665".

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:22 am UTC

Hopefully I'll have a damn copy of the mp soon.

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:32 am UTC

thanks Dthen. Name is F117Landers

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:31 pm UTC

I asked him to add you. Hopefully he does so quickly. I must warn you, though, that the server is pretty quiet, only 2 or 3 people regularly play on it.

Edit:
my friend wrote:Added

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:49 pm UTC

I'll have a 3.3 gig download of the worldfile shortly.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:38 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:I'll have a 3.3 gig download of the worldfile shortly.

The world was on 1.8, correct?
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:06 am UTC

F117Landers

Postby F117Landers » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:39 pm UTC

Thanks much dthen!

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:45 am UTC

Demonstrated Hololens Minecraft. Looks impressive.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:58 am UTC

I am attempting to download and start a 1.8 server with the map. It may take a bit...have to download and then upload because mega doesn't support using direct links to a file.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:55 am UTC

Hey ST - do you have the whitelist and ops.txt? The world has been extracted, but I would like to start off with the correct whitelist and ops on the server. I will be looking into giving the ops some sort of console access once I finish everything. I should also be able to setup something like dynmap. Yay for forge 1.8, which allows vanilla clients to connect.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

Ops
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

# server ops, 1 username per line
stankpunatra
rirez
secondtalon
blalobw
mr_roosevelt
themonkey1000
I have no recollection of stankpunatra. Doesn't mean they weren't intentionally made an op by me, just that I have no recollection of them.

Whitelist
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

odysseus5
freemond
vlofgren
expotential
amishdmeon
mr_roosevelt
halgdp
theillusivewaffl
xerillum
ganalef
mike_739
mvk_iii
groundlicker
nbonaparte
jupo42
galahad1st
piman1
stanley1996
fir3_ivxx
mieulium
kaiobruin
horisustar
themonkey1000
ftswcaan
asimovial_robot
lysithea
ii_zer0
brooklynxman
rhetorical575
cazador0
weirdscott
scallel
mafral
zimm66
fractangle
secl4
magnanimous_xkcd
asimovian_robot
maxtermax1
biggles266
selina09
chaoszerom
mistermoses
jessescottowen
tigerlily7
theillsuivewaffl
zephyr256k
kickimanjaro
xanthir
schli153
headprogrammingc
kalira77
diabetic69
magpied
mcuser
predator_freeman
the_scyphozoa
eculc
surgicalsteel
corruptuser
carlomagno
stankpunatra
fifthsurprise
mragilebeast
slacker4life200
tilt
nutellablood
786b6364
enokh
venusfury
esoanem
brachiocyborg
blalobw
thecommabandit
jestingrabbit
FTSWCAAN
p_cal
gorbash84
onezerotwo
137_036
elinari
jakestiles
faithfulcg
cadiac
flixor3
taily_po
brenok
prussia123
taygetea
fouriuosman
f117landers
brianblox
odinum
eeris
mensa
roberii
jandolora
_infina_
davecr
dthen
skankabella
adaactar
williamtheconqueror
felstaff
raudorn
meem1029
oscar_spider
hls520
heatherd
shivahn
eirlyn
eddie
aodpunk
mecheaon
neixs
doctorug
gatchaman
niexs
jahoclave
emachine67
phycist1616
circularsquares
meteorswarm
utilitarian
themalle
jacobmkear
legopelle
meloncrab
chibbell
logansch
nordahn
killuforphun
carlington
darkil_needsarez
skydivingyeti
walkerm930
bluejello
the_kiid
notch
vpsion
techiesgoboom
cjdrum
rirez
chrispkale
shootthechicken
monsterkort
wam15
magnusth
manial
ulharvutha
tgservers
mattttt96
dr_crusher
thadexmachina
thera27
antiorb
clockworkmonk
secondtalon
arata_daichi
firesoul31
theamazingrando
swordbreaker
txsaru
lifegrind
Don't even ask about who is who on here. I'm doing good to remember I'm SecondTalon.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:41 pm UTC

Server should be up and running at xkcd.cbouton.com. Whitelist may have some issues, but I will look into it after I get done work today. Server has a nice mod called morpheus installed. Good for when many people are on the server.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Return to “Gaming”