Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

hatten

Re: Minecraft

Postby hatten » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Okay... my map just got corrupted, no, not the world, a map. =p
Every time i pick up the map and look at it the game crashes...

Is there anywhere I should send a bug report or something?

First it says saving chunks, and then an error message flashes past very quickly and turns into a black screen.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:How hard is it to change the spawn location? It seems like we could just move it to unexplored territory, find a stronghold, then move it back...

From my understanding, a simpler method would be to load up the map in MCEdit, delete a buncha unused chunks in the Stronghold-spawning area, and re-explore the new area.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:22 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:How hard is it to change the spawn location? It seems like we could just move it to unexplored territory, find a stronghold, then move it back...
Strongholds do not spawn relative to the Spawn location, they spawn relative to 0,0. 0,0 is set. So there will not be Strongholds in the 1k ring, as that area has already been spawned.

There is, however, some confusion on whether or not Strongholds will be a multiple nigh-infinite spawning like diamond, mineshafts and whatnot, as the Wiki says one thing but it's citation says another.

So I dunno.

IF strongholds only spawn in the 1k ring, then there will not be any without a new map.

The physical location of Spawn has fuck all to do with it. Hell, the physical location of spawn has already been moved. I moved it into the Newbie Greeting Area thing when I took over hosting.

Roosevelt wrote:

From my understanding, a simpler method would be to load up the map in MCEdit, delete a buncha unused chunks in the Stronghold-spawning area, and re-explore the new area.

If we're doing that, why not load the whole thing in MCEdit, move everything 2-3k North of 0,0 and just let it ride as is.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

SexyTalon wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:From my understanding, a simpler method would be to load up the map in MCEdit, delete a buncha unused chunks in the Stronghold-spawning area, and re-explore the new area.

If we're doing that, why not load the whole thing in MCEdit, move everything 2-3k North of 0,0 and just let it ride as is.

Then move everything back once we found our strongholds? Or not; changing everything's coordinate permanently wouldn't be a big deal, unless you're looking for a certain pumpkin seed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

Presumably it would be found by then. If not, I'll just make sure everything's move exactly 2000 meters on one axis.

*edit* On the other hand, this would destroy the Nether gate synchronization. /just sayin'
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 pm UTC

Why do you need strongholds? Surely one could be player-created?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

hatten wrote:Okay... my map just got corrupted, no, not the world, a map. =p
Every time i pick up the map and look at it the game crashes...

Is there anywhere I should send a bug report or something?

First it says saving chunks, and then an error message flashes past very quickly and turns into a black screen.

You could try this.

http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Why do you need strongholds? Surely one could be player-created?

Four reasons, I assume:

1. Ender gates (1.9)
2. Silverfish
3. The two special stone brick types
4. They're cool, premade fortresses.

1-3 could be taken care of by getting friendly with a mod, but there's really no way to make up for that last part.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:45 am UTC

This tweet seems to indicate that strongholds will be able to spawn infinitely in the new version.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:48 am UTC

So for all intents and purposes, we'll have infinite strongholds, and we can use those... eye of enders? to find them.

Also, I now understand your agony while waiting for the server to come alive. Is there some protocol to report to someone when ST's server is down? I vaguely recall reading something...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Steax wrote:So for all intents and purposes, we'll have infinite strongholds, and we can use those... eye of enders? to find them.

Also, I now understand your agony while waiting for the server to come alive. Is there some protocol to report to someone when ST's server is down? I vaguely recall reading something...
I hope they're infinite (if rare and widely spaced). It just makes more sense. ...but yes, I really don't want to lose the ST server we have. Far travel isn't so far once you start using the Nether and Nether-based railways (it used to take me a half hour or more to walk to spawn, now it's almost a lark!), and we haven't done more than scratch the surface of what's possible when you set your mind to efficient travel (I'm afraid to use a train in the Nether; I might go back in time.) ...and, even if strongholds were absolutely not possible, even in the full release, I'd still want to keep the geography and buildings that we have. Exploring randomly generated stuff is fun, but exploring the creations and tunnels of users both present and past/forgotten is mysterious and awesome.

...there's always Psion's server! I should explore more and build less, there.

Regarding the occasional server downages, a PM to Roosevelt, Monkey, Blalobw (seriously; I need to see if he explains his username in the self-introduction thread), and/or SecondTalon was the SOP. My own technique is to let the server 'rest' for three to five minutes, and then try to log in once or thrice. It almost always works.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:09 am UTC

Wait, then it must be on my end. I haven't been able to get on since... about 12 hours ago. Can anyone else log in? Sorry for being so new to the SMP world. =/

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:39 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Steax wrote:So for all intents and purposes, we'll have infinite strongholds, and we can use those... eye of enders? to find them.

I hope they're infinite (if rare and widely spaced). It just makes more sense. ...but yes, I really don't want to lose the ST server we have. Far travel isn't so far once you start using the Nether and Nether-based railways (it used to take me a half hour or more to walk to spawn, now it's almost a lark!), and we haven't done more than scratch the surface of what's possible when you set your mind to efficient travel (I'm afraid to use a train in the Nether; I might go back in time.)

Gana. Ice Tunnel in the Nether. 18 m/s nether travel (at 1 food per 6 meters, give or take). This must be done...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:11 am UTC

Steax wrote:Wait, then it must be on my end. I haven't been able to get on since... about 12 hours ago. Can anyone else log in? Sorry for being so new to the SMP world. =/
I'm on now. Scallel just voiced dire imprecations against those who would bring iceblocks into the Nether. I'm hoping that the Nether prevents Ice from becoming water. Xerrilum said he thinks it should explode, like an occupied bed. ^_^ Alas, since you can place and melt ice in creative, I don't expect any restrictions on ice--or grass--placement.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Kain wrote:Gana. Ice Tunnel in the Nether. 18 m/s nether travel (at 1 food per 6 meters, give or take). This must be done...

Or we could just petition Mojang to increase rail speed. :P Rails have been sadly neglected in the past few releases.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 am UTC

I can't seem to get on - "Can't reach server" errors all the time. Is there some sort of troubleshooting for this error?

(I think I'm doomed to minecraft addiction.)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:14 am UTC

Just for the record, they are not trains in the Nether on ST's server, they are Trolleys with the main hub at the Tennessee Williams Memorial Trolley Station.

Feylias

Making towers to go up and not come down.

Postby Feylias » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:09 am UTC

So there's an elementary trick to building towers that can be easily torn down:
Spoiler:
2011-10-24_18.53.17.png
Set the tower up so that when you break one block, the sand/gravel all falls on the torch and breaks itself.
My problem with this is I often don't want to go back down there and clean it up. Leaf blocks, while not cheap, used to work for that but work no longer; you can't trigger an autodecay with them anymore, and I want a cheap, clean, and possibly easy way to tear down these towers from above.

I've been experimenting with designs where I carefully place the sand on a torch that is above another torch, and pour water from the sky to break the top torch in the hopes that the bottom one won't get wet, but this really doesn't work
Spoiler:
2011-10-24_18.56.07.png
Alas, no matter the arrangements I've tried, water destroys both torches.
Now it's certainly quite possible to do something with pistons:
Spoiler:
2011-10-24_18.47.13.png
Naturally, the hole under the extended piston has a torch.
2011-10-24_18.47.51.png
You can aim the water at the redstone torch like this. It'll flow into the other hole automatically.
...but leaving a piston on the ground is expensive and also litter.

I'm currently stumped. ..wait; maybe cactus?
Spoiler:
2011-10-24_19.07.03.png
Just drop a sand block next to the cactus, the cactus breaks.
2011-10-24_19.09.28.png
Once you get here, just pour a short spurt of water to break the torch, then drop one sand into the hole. All that's left is two blocks.
...that's the best I can do. As long as it's somewhere where sand doesn't look out of place, it's not so bad.

Do any of you have better ideas?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 am UTC

Is there anything wrong with the cactus one? That sounds good. Cactuses are renewable.

Also, psion's server feels... really different. For one thing, I don't remember getting mauled by spiders...

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:47 am UTC

So I'm working to restore the sky railroad. While working on a link to the spawn station, I, uh, let some water in. Gravity did the rest.

Anyone remember the configuration downstairs?

psion

Postby psion » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Or I could just host the world since it seems my server is more stable. It was kind of the original idea anyway.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Melic wrote:would it be possible to get white listed? my minecraft name is piman1

Yes!

Feylias wrote:
Steax wrote:Wait, then it must be on my end. I haven't been able to get on since... about 12 hours ago. Can anyone else log in? Sorry for being so new to the SMP world. =/
I'm on now. Scallel just voiced dire imprecations against those who would bring iceblocks into the Nether. I'm hoping that the Nether prevents Ice from becoming water. Xerrilum said he thinks it should explode, like an occupied bed. ^_^ Alas, since you can place and melt ice in creative, I don't expect any restrictions on ice--or grass--placement.

Funny thing is, is that a while back Scallel was asking me for water blocks so he could encase one of his nether towers with them.

Scallal seems a bit random to me. B^)

Cadiac

Postby Cadiac » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:35 pm UTC

Just as a side note regarding Feylias sand tower experiments: collecting sand is also usually way faster if you just dig a 2 block high space under the sand and fill the ground with torches, and then break the sandstone above you so the sand pillar falls on top of the torch. Or that's the way I do it.

The cactus design looks pretty neat.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Feylias, do you want a triggered collapse or a auto (timed) collapse?
I made a trigger for collapses back in alpha... See here...

http://youtu.be/2ZFmQMuisE8

For a collapsible tower, drop water down from above. You need to separate your torch for "breaking the sand" and the torch that gets broken by water.
Like this.
[edit] See below!

Make sure to drop the waterfall into the trench to the left. Else, dig the trench at a different position for ease of use.
It leaves one sand block sticking up (one in the trench) and one hole in the ground to tidy up. So quite easy.

I've added two designs for you. A quick and easy one. And one that leaves nothing except sand/gravel and a torch. Place waterfall to land where the soil is. The trench in the middle picture is so you can see where the torch is, you only need the hole next to the soil block.

Manual demolish.png
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
Melic wrote:would it be possible to get white listed? my minecraft name is piman1

Yes!

Feylias wrote:

Funny thing is, is that a while back Scallel was asking me for water blocks so he could encase one of his nether towers with them.

Scallal seems a bit random to me. B^)

I wonder if he would get upset at the idea of a wheat farm, a sugarcane farm, a melon/pumpkin farm, and a scenic pond in the nether...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:14 pm UTC

Also, get someone to spawn in grass blocks.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:29 pm UTC

Hmmmm. Perhaps, if used beneath lava level, ice in the nether could be a good thing. I'd just rather not see the vast oceans of lava rendered into dark obsidian by one person with ice. Though that does give me an idea... The pvp battleground we've talked about? We could put it in the nether. Quite fitting I think too. Obsidian would make it immune to TNT and who cares about anything else. Anyone else like this idea? If so we could just steal a few ice from my nemesis and could make it in only about twenty minutes. Then the blood will flow!
And we won't need someone spawning grass considering that as soon as 1.9 comes put and you can get silk touch enchantment you'll be able to mine your own grass blocks.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

...I've just had a crazy redstone idea.

TO CREATIVE!

Edit: I just made an overly complicated AND gate using the obsidian glitch to kill chickens.

Pics coming soon :P

Edit 2: Pics are here!
Spoiler:
Chicken1.png
My machine of evil. Note the chicken.

Chicken2.png
Here, I've powered some redstone that's next to some flowing water.

Chicken3.png
Note how the lava destroys the redstone and flows into a little hole...

Chicken4.png
...and the chicken lives to see another day. Well, technically hour.

Chicken5.png
Here, I've depowered the redstone, so when I flow lava onto it, it will become Obsidian...

Chicken6.png
...which will cause the lava to flow over it...

Chicken7.png
...which means one less chicken :P
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:00 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:52 pm UTC

Could I get whitelisted? I've heard so much in this thread, I want to see it for myself. Game name is Carlomagno.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:55 pm UTC

I think I should ask for whitelisting (the_scyphozoa) in case I ever feel like figuring out how to open ports.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Hmmmm. Perhaps, if used beneath lava level, ice in the nether could be a good thing. I'd just rather not see the vast oceans of lava rendered into dark obsidian by one person with ice. Though that does give me an idea... The pvp battleground we've talked about? We could put it in the nether. Quite fitting I think too. Obsidian would make it immune to TNT and who cares about anything else. Anyone else like this idea? If so we could just steal a few ice from my nemesis and could make it in only about twenty minutes. Then the blood will flow!
And we won't need someone spawning grass considering that as soon as 1.9 comes put and you can get silk touch enchantment you'll be able to mine your own grass blocks.

Four clicks, that's all it takes. Bring it. :x

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Point taken. I still think I'd prefer a small and cozy location (because a large one would result in me doing nothing but play minecraft) on the other side of that snowy hill, across the castle. I'll have to check who lives around there first.

Oh, and sorry for whoever owns the chicken coop near spawn - I was running around when I automagically got thrown in, and had to tower my way out with a couple wool, and then I automagically left without being able to get there again.

You are more than welcome to set up in the domain of Castle Impenetrable; I'm claming lands north of the lake for an indeterminate distance. I'm trying to keep a bit of a medieval-punk theme going once I finish my slime farm and can get back to stylin', but whatever is cool. There's a house made out of diamonds (whose is this?) you could use until you have more permanent residence.

Roosevelt wrote:So I'm working to restore the sky railroad. While working on a link to the spawn station, I, uh, let some water in. Gravity did the rest.

Anyone remember the configuration downstairs?

If you mean "downstairs" as in the ramp entrance near Castle Impenetrable, then it was all old, booster rail, so it doesn't matter. It was just a T junction between sky, castle, and walker's house.

I highly recommend changing the skyrail into a two track rail. I'll help you with that if you want, and can supply materials. I also need to build a better terminus on my end.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:01 am UTC

No no, I mean the actual spawn-station-that-gets-flooded -once-a-month. The one leading to monkey's spawner.

All considered, we should probably fix that once-a-month part. It's kinda annoying.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:19 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:No no, I mean the actual spawn-station-that-gets-flooded -once-a-month. The one leading to monkey's spawner.

All considered, we should probably fix that once-a-month part. It's kinda annoying.

Maybe we should make all the entrances have water barriers?

Code: Select all

\   _
#\_/#\
######\

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:20 am UTC

So for now, until hopefully I can come back to ST's server, I'm settling in on psion's server. I've picked a hilltop not far from spawn (that map is still so unexplored, and since it's all-1.8, there's immediately a lot of interesting stuff near spawn) and built a cozy retreat.

... Then someone on my network decided to play farmville (I could hear the music) at the same time... well, lets just say that lag + dangerous mobs = not a good thing. I'm so glad items don't vanish on death.

See attachment for my last few moments.
Attachments
2011-10-26_16.17.57.jpg

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:Could I get whitelisted? I've heard so much in this thread, I want to see it for myself. Game name is Carlomagno.

Yes!

The Scyphozoa wrote:I think I should ask for whitelisting (the_scyphozoa) in case I ever feel like figuring out how to open ports.

Clients don't need to open ports on thier end, it's the host that has to worry about that sort of thing.

BTW, you're added too.

edit: fixed quote tag
Last edited by blalobw on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:34 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:26 pm UTC

psion wrote:Or I could just host the world since it seems my server is more stable. It was kind of the original idea anyway.

I'm OK with switching, if Talon and the rest of the community agrees.

When it was the popular one, how many people were usually on? What was the max?

Maybe we should all get together and stress-test psion's server?

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:41 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
psion wrote:Or I could just host the world since it seems my server is more stable. It was kind of the original idea anyway.

I'm OK with switching, if Talon and the rest of the community agrees.

When it was the popular one, how many people were usually on? What was the max?

Maybe we should all get together and stress-test psion's server?

Talon's server seems plenty stable to me...

Mensa180

Postby Mensa180 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Hi all. Could I be whitelisted? name- Mensa

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

Does anyone know if the information on the wiki regarding experience is accurate? Namely that blaze are worth 10 xp, and that the amount of exp required for a given level is equal to 7/2 * n(n+1)?
If so, it would take 893 blaze to get from 0 to level 50.
How many blaze per minute can one expect from a blaze spawner?

Return to “Gaming”