Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:45 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I did some google research and according to most, portals need to be approx. 1028 blocks away from each other on the Overworld in order to prevent them from associating with the same Nether-side portal.

No - if you are within 1028 overworld blocks, then jumping into an overworld portal will, indeed, take you to the same nether-side one. However, if you specifically build your own portal (i.e. bring obsidian and flint and steel) at the correct coordinates, then those two portals (the ones you made) will always link to each other. You cannot, however, guarantee that other people's portals will not lead to yours.

Here's what I mean. Say you construct an overworld portal, 1W, at x = 800, and the server generates you a nether portal, 1N, at x = 110 - not exactly precise, because perhaps the exact location was blocked. If I were to construct a portal, 2W, at x = 1200, then yes, I would be sent to 1N. However, if I were to build a corresponding 2N portal, at x = 150, then I can reliably travel from 2W to 2N and vice-versa. 1W will still link to 1N, and 1N will still link to 1W (1N tries to go to x = 880, and it's closer to 1W than 2W).

If you read about the concept of "zones of exclusions", what they mean is this - the setup above is vulnerable because 1N was generated and not precisely placed. If I were to build a portal, 3W, at overworld x = 920, and place another one, 3N, at nether x = 115, then both will correctly link to each other (if I didn't make the 3N one manually, again, it'll go to 1N). While this works, however, 1N will no longer connect to 1W - it tries going to x = 880, and finds 3W to be closer, to 1N now goes to 3W. 1W, of course, will still go to 1N.

Basically, every time you place a portal, you might be redirecting somebody else's (less-accurate) portal. Most portals on the server are, however, accurate.

I'm quite confident this works, because there are plenty of portals within 1028 blocks of each other, and I just (as in, 5 minutes ago) made my own precision-portal, and things appear to be working as intended.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:24 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:I like to build on top of water (like, right on the surface). I've a mental imaged of a castle, but other than that, who knows!
Heh, that's what I'm doing on Psion's server. I very carefully bridged out to the middle of the western ocean and built a 100m square platform of dirt hovering a centimeter over the ocean (so as not to disturb the wate) then added water flow all along the sides so that when I fall off I can swim up. I haven't figured out what to do with it yet. That can wait until I've destroyed all the islands within a far viewing distance.

Unrelated brag/blagging:
Spoiler:
Thanks to tHe_kiiD sharing his third-place consolation prize in the pumpkin seed quest ("normal base squared" refers to decimal. Ouch.) I had seven fiers stashed, so with a little ad-hoc mining I was able to become one of the first to finish the three-set of metallic pants fetch-quest. ...and by the looks of it there are going to be at least 26 sets of chain armor hidden around the map. (I suspect that if someone played with the saturation levels of Talon's cough, they'd be decked out in some new finery in no time. I'll have to see what web-based image tools there are.) so I'm predicting about ten more winners in the month of November, with an exponential decline as the chain pants get harder to find.
Edit: Ignore the following; I'm dumb. Josephine mentioned liking the idea of a contest. For a moment I thought the reference was to the proposed outage-for-purpose over December, but it was probably server olympics. My own ideas:
Spoiler:
Arrow golf. Boat soccer (two teams, two goals, one boat; you push the boat with your body.) Timed fishing competition. Spleefing, but with egg and snowball throwing! Competitive chicken murdering! Parkour racing. Platform-based animal murdering using only fishing poles. ...and, possibly, a race to the Fiddler's Green from the north end of my water-covered sky. Perhaps involving all participants starting with the same kit. ^_^ Also, did you know that if you're riding a pig that is riding a minecart that is not on tracks, you can steer? I haven't tested it, but reportedly the pigcart will turn the opposite direction you steer. Oh, and a boat racing course! With turns!

Also, why do I say I'm dumb? I managed to avoid seeing this part of the 'temporary ST server sidelining' thing:
SecondTalon wrote:The best *thing* as agreed upon by myself, blalobw, Monkey and Roosevelt, gets Ops from Jan 1st to Jan 31st.
Alas, getting all of us various time-zoned people on at the same time would be nigh-impossible.
Last edited by Feylias on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Steax: Will you (and anyone else in the area west of my castle) join me in founding the Impenetrable Kingdoms? (or another, better name) I suggest we make your floating village the capital, and my castle will guard the eastern border against the savages from Narnia and Pigsyville.

Next projects could include a wall along that border, if we felt like it.

I will join your kingdom (im piman1)

Steax wrote:
Piman1 also has a sort of nuclear bunker just west of your castle (if you visit the current station on the Skyway, it will land down near his place). I'm sure we will have more neighbors here soon, too. I'll examine your surface marker, and do the math to find the best connection point. Have you seen the completed walkway?

I have been making some smooth stone and have plenty of wood to help get this to my place im not sure if i have enough iron for the tracks but i can help with that as well

Also would people be intrested if getting a XKCDminecraft mumble going? It would help those who hate to type(me)
They call me Mr. Piman

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
Enokh wrote:I did some google research and according to most, portals need to be approx. 1028 blocks away from each other on the Overworld in order to prevent them from associating with the same Nether-side portal.

No - if you are within 1028 overworld blocks, then jumping into an overworld portal will, indeed, take you to the same nether-side one. However, if you specifically build your own portal (i.e. bring obsidian and flint and steel) at the correct coordinates, then those two portals (the ones you made) will always link to each other. You cannot, however, guarantee that other people's portals will not lead to yours.

Here's what I mean. Say you construct an overworld portal, 1W, at x = 800, and the server generates you a nether portal, 1N, at x = 110 - not exactly precise, because perhaps the exact location was blocked. If I were to construct a portal, 2W, at x = 1200, then yes, I would be sent to 1N. However, if I were to build a corresponding 2N portal, at x = 150, then I can reliably travel from 2W to 2N and vice-versa. 1W will still link to 1N, and 1N will still link to 1W (1N tries to go to x = 880, and it's closer to 1W than 2W).

If you read about the concept of "zones of exclusions", what they mean is this - the setup above is vulnerable because 1N was generated and not precisely placed. If I were to build a portal, 3W, at overworld x = 920, and place another one, 3N, at nether x = 115, then both will correctly link to each other (if I didn't make the 3N one manually, again, it'll go to 1N). While this works, however, 1N will no longer connect to 1W - it tries going to x = 880, and finds 3W to be closer, to 1N now goes to 3W. 1W, of course, will still go to 1N.

Basically, every time you place a portal, you might be redirecting somebody else's (less-accurate) portal. Most portals on the server are, however, accurate.

I'm quite confident this works, because there are plenty of portals within 1028 blocks of each other, and I just (as in, 5 minutes ago) made my own precision-portal, and things appear to be working as intended.

Sweet, thanks for explaining it all to me! I didn't know there was a way to do "precision portals" at all, I just figured people had to space their out.

I. . I might just use someone else's portal. Just need to work on connecting my place to Scallel's general area. Want me some lightstone!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

Feel free to come - mieulium and I are both doing nether work, so we can help cover you or whatever if need be.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

Hmmmmm. So by my rough count there are now four(?) People living in one point eight lands? Then I shall make an offer. If you post your coordinates or pm them to me, then I would more than happily lay down one way rails to all locations told to me. This only applies to people that came through my portal however.
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:38 pm UTC

Melic wrote:I will join your kingdom (im piman1)
Speaking of which, do I owe you any resources for Creeperblasting your place?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

Steax wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Oh. How do I join this white list?

Simply place your ingame name here, and one of the ops will take care of it for you. Be sure you offer them some sort of sacrificial offering as well.

My ingame name is vlofgren.

Alright. I'm offering to build a statue of Bruce Campbell's chin.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:06 pm UTC

My place... okay, so there's the giant lava wall, then SSW of that is some sort of large square area sectioned off by a stone wall, with a tower in the middle. My place is directly SW of that. In a pine forest, near a small river.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Melic

Postby Melic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Melic wrote:I will join your kingdom (im piman1)
Speaking of which, do I owe you any resources for Creeperblasting your place?

It was just wood and dirt so no, I probly need to set up a better front yard with some torches and a wall so ill take it as a lesson.
They call me Mr. Piman

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:24 pm UTC

I made a creeper farm on psion's server. Only been one night, and it's already created at least two creepers >=)

By the way, is ST's server up? I can't connect even though I'm now whitelisted. Can't even ping it. Is the address in the OP correct?
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Man, I really need to add something in the OP that if you're not in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia or New Zealand, I'm going to need extra information from you in order to get you access.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

Thanks for the listing by the way.

You, sir, name? wrote:I made a creeper farm on psion's server. Only been one night, and it's already created at least two creepers >=)

Now they're three. They're hissing and trying to blow me up, but can't escape from my devious trap. That's so cute.

A minor concern is that if an enderman spawns, and removes one particular block, my pad is going to flood with vengeful creepers.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Hmmmmm. So by my rough count there are now four(?) People living in one point eight lands? Then I shall make an offer. If you post your coordinates or pm them to me, then I would more than happily lay down one way rails to all locations told to me. This only applies to people that came through my portal however.

I didn't come through the portal, but that's only because I didn't know it was there. . .I ran all the way there from Spawn. I feel dumb.

I plan on doing an underwater glass tunnel for rail connections. I'll have a three-wide tunnel up ASAP (building underwater is hard, though), and will have a single rail up and running. If you want to add another, that'd be fantastic!

I'm a big fan of hidden infrastructure. Preserve the beauty of minecraft etc., I guess. As such, would not mind at all carving out tunnels and underground exchanges for us.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:20 pm UTC

Super-easy to make simple 4-way minecart station with automatic junctions for two-lane minecart railways.

Spoiler:

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:Super-easy to make simple 4-way minecart station with automatic junctions for two-lane minecart railways.

Oooh, that's cool. So you keep pressing buttons until you get to the desired exit, then flip its switch and go?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

I'm still looking for a way to time the "go" switch, so if you press it, it reverts the rail-switch in a few seconds. That way, you can set a default and people don't have to think as much. Probably needs some redstone wizardry. Thanks for that, blalobw, I'll look for a way to make that more compact. My problem with these things has always been size.

Yes, that's what he said. Yes, yes it is.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
blalobw wrote:Super-easy to make simple 4-way minecart station with automatic junctions for two-lane minecart railways.

Oooh, that's cool. So you keep pressing buttons until you get to the desired exit, then flip its switch and go?

You bet!

Just watch the switches or else you'll end up leaving at the same exit the last rider left at. This could be fixed by using buttons with pulse extenders, but complexity would about double.

Expansion is trivial, though a twenty-destination station would be quite tedious to navigate. At that point you'd be better off doing a binary tree style switching arraingement. IE "Left=Sky Castle, Mines, Waterslide, Lost Fortress of Notch...." "Right=Temple of Dumb, WhoVille, Parklands, Mob Grinder..."

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

Steax wrote:I'm still looking for a way to time the "go" switch, so if you press it, it reverts the rail-switch in a few seconds. That way, you can set a default and people don't have to think as much. Probably needs some redstone wizardry. Thanks for that, blalobw, I'll look for a way to make that more compact. My problem with these things has always been size.

Yes, that's what he said. Yes, yes it is.

Pulse Extender:
Spoiler:

Make it as long as you like for further extension. I found this at the Minecraft Wiki dot Net.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

So a warning to all about hunger and moving your base. When you move your base that's a long ways away from everyone including your bed, and then get hungry and decide that a controlled drowning is easier than food, it's good to make sure you sleep in your bed first. Because if you don't you end up going to spawn and getting to walk back through the nether.

Also, as I walked through the nether I noticed the path was missing some glass so I grabbed a stack of glass panes from the supplies box. If anyone needs these immediately they are at my house in my supply chest (on the right of the bed). There's about 3/4 of a stack left. I'll try to bring them back at some point if I get a chance (and motivation to go that far) though of course.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Meem1029 wrote:get hungry and decide that a controlled drowning is easier than food
D:
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:get hungry and decide that a controlled drowning is easier than food
D:

Yeah! Why would you drown when you have tall buildings?

@Steax: Trollface.jpg
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:27 pm UTC

Bleh -- I really don't want to make a 5x5 glass tunnel through 100 meters of water, so I think I'll just make a 3x3 tunnel under the ocean instead. But I might excavate underneath it and build my farms there, so at least there's SOMETHING to look at while traveling.

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 pm UTC

Enokh wrote:Bleh -- I really don't want to make a 5x5 glass tunnel through 100 meters of water, so I think I'll just make a 3x3 tunnel under the ocean instead. But I might excavate underneath it and build my farms there, so at least there's SOMETHING to look at while traveling.

If you were to give me exact coordinates then I would more than happily dig a three by three, or five by five, tunnel to that area as the end point for my one way track. Hmmmm. You know what? Nevermind. It's gonna be a two way track. Just give me the coords, any Y you pick I will gladly dig to, and I'll have it out to you tomorrow. I like trade neighbors. :D
Also to everyone that has come to one point eight lands through my portal or is near it, if any of you tell me an exact coordinate I would more than happily dig tunnels to all of the points you tell me. Two way, high powered tracks will be the norm, and perhaps we can be the great Point Eight Alliance!!! I vote myself president!
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:
Steax wrote:
Meteorswarm wrote:In other news, I've completed the pilot tunnel for the western extension of the old Castle railway. I've left a tall cobblestone pillar to the NE of your floating house, visible from the tower and marked at the top with torches to mark the surface point of the rail line. I suggest leading it into your house; I'll help expand it this weekend.

TODOs:
  • widen tunnel, and make it taller all the way to spawn so you can get out without hurting yourself
  • Lay track
  • Power track
  • Build interchanges

Steax: Will you (and anyone else in the area west of my castle) join me in founding the Impenetrable Kingdoms? (or another, better name) I suggest we make your floating village the capital, and my castle will guard the eastern border against the savages from Narnia and Pigsyville.

Next projects could include a wall along that border, if we felt like it.

I'll happily join such a union of kingdoms. Thing is, I haven't got a name for my place, so I'll have to think of one. Piman1 also has a sort of nuclear bunker just west of your castle (if you visit the current station on the Skyway, it will land down near his place). I'm sure we will have more neighbors here soon, too. I'll examine your surface marker, and do the math to find the best connection point. Have you seen the completed walkway?

Several... xkcdia kingdom spokespeople have already discussed the possibility of long-range ballistic superweapons. With no intent of escalating this into a war (as have already seen several kingdoms retreat into further lands, who knows what they're using those resources for), we should be watchful.

Also, there are a number of cobble buildings on the islands to the west, there are existing structures south of the skyway, and Carlo has a house north of me (which he may or may not make his primary). Expansion seems to be in order.

Kid, join us!

Great, I'm glad you approve. Feel free to take any iron or gold from my castle stores if you need it to extend the rail, I have several stacks of gold bars. I *have* seen the completed walkway, but I think that walkways are for walking, not rails, and I'd like to see it unmarred by railway.

Additionally, the castle is due north of Xkcdia. Using my piston expertise, it would be easy to hide something in the walls...

Roosevelt wrote:Re: all the way to spawn

No. Not spawn. Please not spawn. Bad things happen when people do rail maintenance at spawn. :shock:

In all seriousness, if you do bore in that direction, please bear in mind that spawn is essentially underwater, and the Mob Spawner/ Garden rail floods VERY easily.

I'll leave the integration to someone who knows it better then. That's an independent step from the rest anyway, and can be done later, although I don't like having to walk through walkerm's house to get to the rail every time. His house is very confusing.

But the rail already connects to spawn. :?
Granted, it's single lane, but you don't have to walk through the maze.
Last edited by Roosevelt on Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

Ok, here's the four-way station, compressed to 8*9 blocks not including exit boosters and the lane splitters. Perfect if we do a sky-grid of rails somewhere.

Spoiler:
Oh Look! It's symmetrical!

A two-way intermediate station that allows u-turns:
Spoiler:
I had to force one of the curved rails with a buried redstone torch.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:10 pm UTC

On SecondTalon's proposed contest, I'm willing to help judge of course, but putting off my own projects for almost a month will be a big annoyance.

I suspect we can via worldguard restrict the contestants to only being able to alter terrain or collect resources within certain areas. The "Naked and Screaming" portion of the contest rules could be enforced that way, although we couldn't prevent them from recieving goods from accomplices.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:10 am UTC

blalobw wrote:On SexyTalon's proposed contest, I'm willing to help judge of course, but putting off my own projects for almost a month will be a big annoyance.

I suspect we can via worldguard restrict the contestants to only being able to alter terrain or collect resources within certain areas. The "Naked and Screaming" portion of the contest rules could be enforced that way, although we couldn't prevent them from recieving goods from accomplices.

We could wall off the contest area with bedrock, maybe?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:25 am UTC

So apparently minecarts lose their momentum really quickly in the air. Even at max speed, they only travel about two horizontal meters (three without passenger). So much for my ring o' fire.

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:50 am UTC

Alright, so, I can make a 4-way train station that allows you to press a single button and go the direction you wish to go (there are signs, obviously). The only problem is space -- width and length are alright, 11 by 11 at a guess -- but it's pretty tall, relatively. It'll end up being almost a perfect cube, I think. Not sure on the specific dimensions because, as I'm sure you all know, the first design isn't exactly space efficient.

If you guys want, I want make a prettified version and probably make a short youtube video of how it works, so you can see if it's something you'd be interested in and to confirm it isn't an eyesore.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:01 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
blalobw wrote:On SexyTalon's proposed contest, I'm willing to help judge of course, but putting off my own projects for almost a month will be a big annoyance.

Miscreants, rif-raf, and troublemakers can climb over bedrock. Of course if by "walling" you mean ALL SIX SIDES, yeah, that could be entertaining. >B^)

Actually we'd have to enclose the nether area as well to exclude interdimensional bandits.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, walling it off on all sides in both (Actually all three, including the Enderlands) dimensions would mean we wouldn't have to change anything with worldguard.
Last edited by blalobw on Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Enokh wrote:Alright, so, I can make a 4-way train station that allows you to press a single button and go the direction you wish to go (there are signs, obviously). The only problem is space -- width and length are alright, 11 by 11 at a guess -- but it's pretty tall, relatively. It'll end up being almost a perfect cube, I think. Not sure on the specific dimensions because, as I'm sure you all know, the first design isn't exactly space efficient.

If you guys want, I want make a prettified version and probably make a short youtube video of how it works, so you can see if it's something you'd be interested in and to confirm it isn't an eyesore.

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing it!

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:34 am UTC

So I built up the walls on my castle so I could safely have a ring of burning netherrack on top of it, only to find that I don't have permission to light things on fire. Is there any way I can get these permissions /have an admin light all the netherrack on my castle on fire? I promise to not intentionally start crazy widespread fires in places that will affect other people very often....

I never left. -LTB
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:32 am UTC

blalobw wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:

Miscreants, rif-raf, and troublemakers can climb over bedrock. Of course if by "walling" you mean ALL SIX SIDES, yeah, that could be entertaining. >B^)

Actually we'd have to enclose the nether area as well to exclude interdimensional bandits.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, walling it off on all sides in both (Actually all three, including the Enderlands) dimensions would mean we wouldn't have to change anything with worldguard.

Oh, there are some VERY creative things in worldedit I've been meaning to try out. :twisted:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:08 am UTC

I'd probably opt-out of such a competition, if only because being op for a while would dilute all that hard work of gathering things the old-fashioned style. Maybe, make a poll somewhere to see who wants to join?

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:25 am UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
blalobw wrote:
Roosevelt wrote:We could wall off the contest area with bedrock, maybe?

Oh, there are some VERY creative things in worldedit I've been meaning to try out. :twisted:
Could we make a series of floating islands, skyblock challenge style? I don't know how all the world making works, but sections of normal land with gaps all the way through the bedrock between them. It wouldn't be impossible to get across, but it would be easy to spot, and take time and resources away from building. Not sure what to do about the nether, or how Ender... End? Endlands are going to work.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:So I built up the walls on my castle so I could safely have a ring of burning netherrack on top of it, only to find that I don't have permission to light things on fire. Is there any way I can get these permissions /have an admin light all the netherrack on my castle on fire? I promise to not intentionally start crazy widespread fires in places that will affect other people very often....

I never left. -LTB

I've updated your privledges, and those of a few other folks I've seen frequently, if it's not working let us know.

Have Fun!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:55 am UTC

Steax wrote:I'd probably opt-out of such a competition, if only because being op for a while would dilute all that hard work of gathering things the old-fashioned style. Maybe, make a poll somewhere to see who wants to join?

Well if we do it using a walled off area of the map participation will be voluntary.

A question: Is /give privledges for a month too powerfull of a prize to intrest most of us?

Would (for instance) a full chest of a block of the winners choice be a more enticing prize?

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:04 am UTC

Bit of an update, have finished the outer walls, beginning on the inner towerfort. There's so much else I should be doing but dangit this is just too much fun. I'm running low on my supplies of sandstone, might actually have to go mine/dig some more D:

Spoiler:

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:24 am UTC

blalobw wrote:
Steax wrote:I'd probably opt-out of such a competition, if only because being op for a while would dilute all that hard work of gathering things the old-fashioned style. Maybe, make a poll somewhere to see who wants to join?

Well if we do it using a walled off area of the map participation will be voluntary.

A question: Is /give privledges for a month too powerfull of a prize to intrest most of us?

Would (for instance) a full chest of a block of the winners choice be a more enticing prize?

That would actually be more interesting. You could also have multiple prizes, with people getting different things... Or just give a participation prize for creating something (worth noting, of course) with, like, a single-chest of cobble or sand. I'd definitely join in that case.

Return to “Gaming”