Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

TheMonkey's Spawner could easily be turned into a (dangerous and self destructing) XP grinder and I'm also planning to somehow convert my spawner for dual usage.

All Monkey's needs is a safe spot to stand whilst killing mobs and a piston or three to turn off the lava knife.

Mine will probably be a little more interesting.

EDITED for accuracy.
Last edited by blalobw on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:20 pm UTC

If I upgrade my client will I not be able to play on the server? And if so, is there a way to upgrade for single player but stay at 1.8 for multiplayer for the time being?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

You just have to make a copy of the minecraft.jar file for backup purposes (ex rename it minecraft-1.8.jar) and then when you run minecraft and it gets the 1.0 minecraft.jar, make a backup of that as well. Then when you want to play on the server, you just move the 1.8 file to minecraft.jar.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:TheMonkey's Spawner could easily be turned into an XP grinder and I'm also planning to somehow convert my spawner for dual usage.

All Monkey's needs is a safe spot to stand whilst killing mobs and a piston or three to turn off the lava knife.

The problem is creepers I should think. If you're close enough to hit them, they're close enough to boom you.

I really should do more bombing of the bombing range and build that massive spawner. Maybe after I graduate.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

You miiiiight be able to use MCNostalgia: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/106 ... talgia-104

But I don't think it'll work if the server checks version numbers, since MCNostalgia doesn't change your client's version number.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:45 pm UTC

Hmm, I think I'll try meem's plan. Seems like it should work. Thanks.
--Flobots "Mayday"

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:56 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
blalobw wrote:TheMonkey's Spawner could easily be turned into an XP grinder and I'm also planning to somehow convert my spawner for dual usage.

The problem is creepers I should think. If you're close enough to hit them, they're close enough to boom you.

I really should do more bombing of the bombing range and build that massive spawner. Maybe after I graduate.

Yeah, the creepers are definatly a concern. I suppose I'll have to test this. Onward to the science world!

Feylias

Torch arrangement, cactus lotteries, and Mordor Flag.

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:00 pm UTC

The Fiddler's Green flag is still being thought up. The Mordor flag is a checkerboard of netherrack and mossy cobble, with the a top corner as netherrack. This works well as 2x3, 3x4, and 4x6.

Bonapart informed me that the most efficient torch arrangement for a flatgrass situation is a diagonal 6x6 grid
Spoiler:
2011-11-20_08.42.10.png
Mordor flag. Also, ideal flatgrass torch arrangement. There are five spaces diagonally between each torch. There are 11 spaces between each torch orthogonally. I tried daisies to even out the grid.
2011-11-20_10.29.50.png
In SSP instead of creative. I lured a skeleton onto one end and killed it from the other.
Short conclusion: No matter whether it's on the X, Y, or Z axis, in Survival SSP or SMP, the Sniper Duel achievement is ungettable. Alas.

In other blag,
Spoiler:
I whipped together a roulette machine that, once you load a chunk, has a random chance of either exploding TNT or disarming itself.
2011-11-20_09.32.35.png
It's a kludge, only for concept.
Conclusion? Cacti are really annoying to work with; half the time they drop anything they destroy their own drop. ...and it takes FOREVER.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:04 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:The problem is creepers I should think. If you're close enough to hit them, they're close enough to boom you.
How about a water-dampened version?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

That'll stop structural damage but it won't stop them killing you. Abd even though killing creepers in SSP is easy, in SMP it can be tricky because any latency means you don't know their true position.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Gatchaman

Postby Gatchaman » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm UTC

The Cactus County's flag can be seen flying over our new tower! (which I think still needs some work- proportion's still a bit off..)

It consists of a green vertical stripe, going over horizontal light blue, then yellow lines. Currently in a 3x2 shape:

BGB
YGY

It's kind of obvious, when you think about it- we Cactusvillites are a straightforward folk..

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:33 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:The problem is creepers I should think. If you're close enough to hit them, they're close enough to boom you.
How about a water-dampened version?

It would prevent structural damage, but you would still take damage. It really is probably just easier to find a skeleton spawner and construct the specific device that way. Though, you could do it with zombies I believe, the drops are just more useless.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:03 pm UTC

In SSP, I have a deadfall mob grinder that kills everything but some spiders, who come out of it as vastly weakened XP-sacks - presumably because spiders can hit a wall and slow down a little[citation needed]. If you've got room vertically, it's one option (although not a great one) for getting XP out of an existing structure while filtering out creepers.

Also, watching things slam to their death after falling 20-some metres is kinda fun.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:33 pm UTC

New idea: a water-dampened area where creepers are held where you can shoot them with arrows to produce XP. Other mobs are not shot at and so pass through to another room where you sword them. Though that might be expensive for arrows.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:That'll stop structural damage but it won't stop them killing you. Abd even though killing creepers in SSP is easy, in SMP it can be tricky because any latency means you don't know their true position.

Would this be an issue for a deadfall mob trap, though? If you're landing the killing blow as soon as they land, they're not gonna have time to explode.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:39 pm UTC

Blagtiem, involving the movement and behavior of water:
Spoiler:
So the way I originally intended to cover my sky with water while progressively flooding and unflooding the grass beneath (for aesthetics; Mordor should not be green and grassy) was to divide up the sky into 5x5 squares. I abandoned this idea almost immediately after some experiments; it's terrible at killing grass.

I eventually evolved a technique in which I made parallel 1m cobble bridges separated by a 1m gap, stretching along the water line. The water would fall through the nearest slot, and as I filled that slot the water would jump to the next slot. This worked, but when I wandered the ground I found many many stripes of grass where the slope of the land wasn't compatible with my slots in the sky. I spent a lot of time with stone hoes trying to finish off the grass after this technique.

My newest technique is to stretch a 'tendril' of cobble from where water flows over the edge. I stretch it out and then build the parallel bridge block by block, constantly extending water. This leaves a 2m gap, and water flows through the gap, across the other side of my 2m distant bridge, and because of the way water flows it also keeps water flowing under the bridge I've extended.

That isn't the best part, though; it also keeps water flowing under the sky for a very very long distance.

See, water flow will not decay if it is attached and horizontally within 7 meters of either a source block or a flow block that fell from a higher spot. So one source block at Y level 100 (an arbitrary number) can cover a 7x7 area before going down a level, and at level 99 it can cover an, er (does calculations in head) diamondsquare that is 15 on a radius. In my head, this suggests that by the time it reached level 50, with proper nurturing, one source block can cover a horizontal area of, er, many. Many many.

For typical purposes, this means that huge areas under my sky are under an ocean until I connect the sky above them to a prefilled square that was not above grass anyway. Grass is dying much more dependably, and I am happy.
2011-10-12_19.44.12.png
Old and busted slot method.
2011-11-19_17.46.49.png
The water is so copious, beneath this 'tendril', you can see squid happily swimming in it.
2011-11-20_13.17.07.png
After finishing a cobble load, I go down swimming. The light on the ground hasn't realized it's been blocked out, yet, so I can see. The water's dozens of meters deep in most places.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:35 am UTC

Oh, just a note, if anyone was even considering trying this:

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to make a cactus auto-harvester. It'll work, sure, but it'll have the same effect as the chicken pile. Trust me on this one :P

Also, Gana, since you're a mathematician of sorts:
Spoiler:
Since I'm a bit busy, could you check a few prime numbers on a tan graph (in the y axis, maybe the x if you wish) and see if there's any relationship? Would be interesting to see.

I won't be on the server until Bukkit is sufficiently updated, so for now, I'll just talk on here, or #xkcd-mc as previously linked to.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:40 am UTC

Re: the xp grinder. What about a switch you can throw when you see a creeper coming that opens flood gates and washes it away to a regular mob grinder, when it's gone you throw the switch again to close the flood gates.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:48 am UTC

So I tried out potions, and I was disappointed that the Nausia potion was only a 1.9.2 thing.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:51 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:That'll stop structural damage but it won't stop them killing you. Abd even though killing creepers in SSP is easy, in SMP it can be tricky because any latency means you don't know their true position.

Would this be an issue for a deadfall mob trap, though? If you're landing the killing blow as soon as they land, they're not gonna have time to explode.

That's an interesting idea - dropping them about 20-22 blocks should make them easy to one-shot, Ithink, while keeping them alive. Would need to modify the design I have so that you can hit them all without things landing on your head or shooting you as they fall - maybe run the mobs through a spider-killer first, so you can use a smaller drop shaft without it clogging? Or could have them stagger into a 1x2 tunnel with running water after they fall and just hack at their feet, which could solve the collection problem with deadfalls as well.

This calls for Science!
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:57 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:New idea: a water-dampened area where creepers are held where you can shoot them with arrows to produce XP. Other mobs are not shot at and so pass through to another room where you sword them. Though that might be expensive for arrows.

I've read that there is a full-auto mob sorter that could be used for this, I haven't looked into making one though. It's probably complex, and I ran into the referance way before pistons, so it may not work anymore.

SurgicalSteel wrote:Re: the xp grinder. What about a switch you can throw when you see a creeper coming that opens flood gates and washes it away to a regular mob grinder, when it's gone you throw the switch again to close the flood gates.

If we get mobs coming in too fast there will *always* be creepers.

Results from Science World:

A creeper-only grinder where you can safely sword creepers and collect thier goodies is trivially possible.

Once you add skeletons it gets interesting. The skeletons *will* attempt to shoot you and accidentally hit creepers, resulting in boomage. This is bad.

Sorting between skeletons and creepers is non-trivial because they are the same shape. (Darn them)

So, what I will attempt next is a spider sorter that allows spiders only one direction, and all other mobs another direction. The spiders would go to an XP grinder with a switched lava knife, and all other mobs go to a standard lava knife.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:03 am UTC

Thoughts on the long distance storage minecart freight rail.

I believe it can be made to work by periodically stopping the occupied lead cart until the storage carts catch up.

Back to Scinece World!

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:43 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Oh, just a note, if anyone was even considering trying this:

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to make a cactus auto-harvester. It'll work, sure, but it'll have the same effect as the chicken pile. Trust me on this one :P

Also, Gana, since you're a mathematician of sorts:
Spoiler:
Since I'm a bit busy, could you check a few prime numbers on a tan graph (in the y axis, maybe the x if you wish) and see if there's any relationship? Would be interesting to see.

I won't be on the server until Bukkit is sufficiently updated, so for now, I'll just talk on here, or #xkcd-mc as previously linked to.

I have an auto cactus farm on the server, and it doesn't seem to be causing any problems at all. It might just be that you need a system for destroying the drops, though.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:56 am UTC

Good point, that *is* the major problem.

Also, on an extremely AWESOME note: I just got into the Australian FLL Nationals! We beat China! And we put about 6 people-days of work in, compared to approx. 280 people-days of China (Rough estimate)!

Unfortunately, my two teammates will be in Tasmania and Melbourne, so looks like I'll be down with just me & my coach. Ah well, just have to hope that Tasmania-friend didn't disassemble the robot.

Peoples, get on IRC! Me wanty talk, and I've already updated my MC for reasons unknown.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:00 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Good point, that *is* the major problem.

Also, on an extremely AWESOME note: I just got into the Australian FLL Nationals! We beat China! And we put about 6 people-days of work in, compared to approx. 280 people-days of China (Rough estimate)!

Unfortunately, my two teammates will be in Tasmania and Melbourne, so looks like I'll be down with just me & my coach. Ah well, just have to hope that Tasmania-friend didn't disassemble the robot.

Peoples, get on IRC! Me wanty talk, and I've already updated my MC for reasons unknown.

First Lego League? Awesome!!!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:32 am UTC

Ok, this is wierd. For some reason my storage minecarts in single player are retaining thier momentum when they stop due to being out-of-range.

I can still test the system though. So far I have a launcher which is a pez dispenser triggered by a clock signal. Load it up with full storage minecarts, set your lead cart in the designated launch spot and throw the switch.

The delay will be a detector rail which triggers a monostable into turning a powered rail off for a certain length of time. That length of time will be adjusted to launch you right before a collision occurs. (hopefully)

The downside of this system is that it's going to use a *ton* of gold powered rails and of course anyone using the rail will be slowed to freight speeds.

EDIT: Actually, I could easily add a "Launch Now" button for folks who arn't leading a train.

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:39 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Good point, that *is* the major problem.

Congrats, man!
I do FRC, and my team has a lot of involvement with FLL teams.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:52 am UTC

Unfortunately, FLL wise, I won't be able to compete. We'll still be going down to Sydney and assisting, though, because it'd be completely and utterly AWESOME. Also maybe I can be a better tech guy than the one at our event. He made his own music for the videos using Garageband presets, and forgot to set them to Loop remainder. It therefore didn't loop properly and burned my ears.

Wellp, back to Maths C study

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Behold, my banner! Any place with this banner is claimed for Cazador!
Attachments
2011-11-20_21.36.14.png

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:Also when are we all going to go on our little trip to the End? As soon as I get one blaze powder I have enough ender pearls to show the way to the fortress. The rest would simply entail a few brave souls, or one crazy snowman summoner, farming the blazes till I told them how much I would need to open the portal. Then we just beg one of the OPs to teleport them to me so that we could open a portal and slay the dragon!!! Btw I will be taking this entirely seriously, aka three columns of TNT, two of arrows, full diamond armor for all Involved, my gift, diamond tools, even a hoe, along with obsidian, flint and tender, and about two stacks of bread. And if someone would be as amazing to brew potions to help us on our quest, I would gladly pay for them.

I would like to participate in the dragon hunt. Providing diamond armor/weapons (please and thank you) would be appreciated as any diamond I get quickly goes to work taking out the mountains in the middle of the stadium.

Can we plan for Dec 3 (assuming the server is updated by then)?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:42 pm UTC

I'll join the raid, as the under-equipped guy.

Just ask Rirez, I'm awesome like that :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:23 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I'll join the raid, as the under-equipped guy.

He'll be so decked out with weapons, armor, potions and blocks to build elaborate automated TNT cannon devices that he'll fill up his entire inventory with just that!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

Assuming I don't have any finals that day, I will gladly take part as well. I could work on potion brewing if you all would like, as I already plan on making a ton of fireproof potions for my future endeavors. Just let me know how many of what types of potions each of you desire (sooner than the event, if possible, so that I can see about getting the ingredients together)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

So i updated my client with out saving the .jar for 1.8 but im learning alot about potion and enchanting i figured I would let those that havnt played the 1.0 know. First start collecting slime balls you need 1 for every 3 fireproff potions, and you have to be in the nether to get netherwort to grow so its really anoying having to go afk in the nether and over world for both mats. I set up a solid box around a blaze portal, with a 2 high 1 wide and 3 long hole blaze can spawn in, with out much difficulty i stand on one side with a block to my back to keep from getting knocked back and just keep clicking while watching a movie, it is to the point now i dont even bother to pick up blaze rods because i have so many i just want the experience. I have enchanted 12 or so shovels with enchants from lvl 1-12 and can not get a silk touch, the first person with this on the server will probly get rich selling grass and mycrillium blocks unless im just the most unlucky guy ever. It might be a good idea to set up a central spot in the nether for a netherwort farm maybe with a egg or cobble genny to go afk at while it grows. I havnt really made to many other potions but the speed pots seem pretty easy I dont remember what makes the str pots and the ghast tears, for health pots?, arent to hard ot get if your carfull. Those seem to be the most usefulll potions to me so far.
Last edited by Melic on Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
They call me Mr. Piman

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:03 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I'll join the raid, as the under-equipped guy.

I'll join too, as the guy that keeps falling to my death!

on other news ): Notch and Yogscast are have a tiff. ): That makes me conflicted.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:36 pm UTC

I wonder if beds in the end will explode, or if they will do something even weirder...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

What's the tiff?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

Scallel wrote:What's the tiff?

The YogsCast guys dropped the F-Bomb on stage at MineCon. Notch is saying he'll never work with them again.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:50 pm UTC

Yogscast said a bad word on stage at minecon apparently. I don't really see how anyone can give a serious crap about this, but, frankly, ever since curse took over the community management thing, there's been this insipid safeness and brand protection crap happening, and I for one would like to say "meh" to the whole curse deally. "Meh" I say, "meh".
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:01 pm UTC

On another note, I think it's indicative of what's changed, and what will be changing, at Mojang. They're no longer getting by on the goodwill of 'they're indie' (never did with me, to be honest), with their stacks of cash, their publishing endeavours - they're becoming a Valve-like corporation. But I personally don't think they'll be quite as shiny...

(by the way, Activision had similar roots)
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Gaming”