Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Feylias

Re: Minecraft

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Steax wrote:Can mods be stealth-placed by ops? (I mean with no part on users?)
I don't think so?
Spoiler:
But if you get on the Free as in Destitute forums, Infina's got a server that uses Spoutcraft. I don't know if you get a free pony with every install. The last time I tried to install spoutcraft on my laptop I had to reinstall Minecraft because it broke.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:53 am UTC

Aw, I was just wondering if the ops would troll us and turn us into ponies one day.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:16 am UTC

Steax wrote:Aw, I was just wondering if the ops would troll us and turn us into ponies one day.

As devious as that sounds, ponies are not known for their puzzle-platforming skills. So it'd be a "no," even if it were possible.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:11 pm UTC

I'll have you know, my old school My Little Pony can hang upside down from one hoof. I think you're just afraid ponies are too good.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

The bukkit folks posted that there were only a few bugs left. Hopefully this means there will be a reliable 1.0 build soon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:The bukkit folks posted that there were only a few bugs left. Hopefully this means there will be a reliable 1.0 build soon.

Oh look, actually ironing out the bugs before releasing a version, isn't that just, how do you say, refreshing.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:26 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
blalobw wrote:The bukkit folks posted that there were only a few bugs left. Hopefully this means there will be a reliable 1.0 build soon.

Oh look, actually ironing out the bugs before releasing a version, isn't that just, how do you say, refreshing.

Just for that they'll leave the "players named jahoclave turn into chickens during full moon" bug in.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:
Steax wrote:Aw, I was just wondering if the ops would troll us and turn us into ponies one day.

As devious as that sounds, ponies are not known for their puzzle-platforming skills. So it'd be a "no," even if it were possible.

Robot unicorns, on the other hand, are excellent with platforms.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:57 am UTC

Sorry I haven't been on lately; I was visiting relatives for Thanksgiving and they don't have internet. :P
Jahoclave wrote:And I think he's just a bad designer.

For a long time he seemed like "guy who messes around with programming" instead of "game programmer"... And even when the rest of Mojang showed up, it felt like they hadn't worked on a commercial game before.

I still kind of wish Minecraft had been released as FOSS with a recommended donation, with Mojang keeping track of player mods/compiling them into official releases/etc. They wouldn't've made quite as much money, but I can only imagine what the game would be like.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:21 am UTC

Even something as simple as asking themselves how people actually play the game and what would improve that experience would have been a step in the right direction.

Feylias

Mordor and Blag.

Postby Feylias » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:35 am UTC

NBonaparte? Remember how I said "I see no reason why someone shouldn't build a summer home in Mordor!"

Um, if you don't have it built already, I'd like to take that back. If you do, could you please minimize the torches nearby?

I underestimated how easy it would be to just spam the whole area with torches, and that undoes a lot of the fun of wandering, there...not to mention it enables the spread of grass. I'd like to keep it an area that people pass through, rather than a place that people settle. At least for now. Maybe I'll put up signs around the outside asking people to try not to leave torches behind as they travel. With brightness cranked up to "bright" you barely need torches even underground.

Speaking of grass, it's time for a Blag! I've evolved an even newer technique for spreading water in such a way to efficiently flood-drown the grass below!
Spoiler:
2011-11-27_15.22.45.png
With my newer technique, the edge of the sky over a large plains looks like this, and the water falling beneath the sky is significantly larger than it appears here.
2011-11-27_15.24.22.png
Since I've been away for a while, I'm hoping/expecting that it's okay to extend the edge of the sky further; the grass that may be unflooded by filling these holes has had a long time to drown. So I fill the two slots.
2011-11-27_15.24.58.png
Now, as mentioned in a previous blag, I extend a tendril of cobble along an edge and then parallel to the edge with a 2m gap. The water can flow 7m from the spring under my feet, so the mere 3m to the far side of the tendril is easy.
2011-11-27_15.25.53.png
When done, we've got a mere simple 2m slot as described in the previous blag. (Also, let's welcome BlueJello to the ST server!) The inside edge of this slot has been pouring water for a while, so the grass beneath it should have long since drowned.
2011-11-27_15.27.13.png
So, since that inside half of the slot is over grass that has died, I walk along the outside edge of the slot and fill in that inside edge.
2011-11-27_15.28.05.png
Now we've got only a one-gap slot, and the water is only traveling 3 meters from the spring blocks.
2011-11-27_15.29.42.png
So, I extend another tendril, as previously demonstrated, and now water is traveling 6m from the edge and completely washing over the ground with no gaps. ...well, except for those gaps made by the perpendicular bars. Those are acceptable.

By the time I finish doing this all the way down the line and eventually make it back here, it's time to start over; the grass has had a very long time to drown. Besides; with luck the water extends for dozens of meters into the darkness, as explained in the previous blag.
Naturally I could spread things REALLY far if I carried a bucket with me and used it a lot, but I try to carry nothing but cobble when possible.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:54 am UTC

Yeah, I had a feeling that's what you'd say. Call it beta testing. But that's my play style in dark areas. Tame it, remove the danger. Carry stacks of torches and arrows and pick the enemies off from a distance, then put torches in their place. I would get to the Green, I would just leave a wide path behind.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:22 am UTC

I'd just nuke it from orbit. I used to drop torches and run away. Now I just walk in with my bling like I own the place.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:26 am UTC

Amusingly, that yogscast video of minecon was totally not about themselves. Sure, they showed their staff and a few clips, but most of it was showcasing other people's stuff. There was zero profanity going on live (Lewis had to cut himself short on purpose at one point) - the only bit of that was during a clip video. This is becoming so entertaining.

#Mordor: I just run in and kill stuff as I go nowadays. I prefer not to light it up, because that's just extra stuff to do. I do keep it near full brightness, though, because my iMac screen seems to have a very strange definition of "shadow".

Also, I'd like to double-check. Is the netherial expedition going to commence upon 1.0, or not? If not, I might lead the way anyway. I'll still come back to maintain my things (and loot the massive farms), but I have... plans. big plans.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:02 am UTC

OK. I think I've made some progress on the mystery of the ancients.

So I was walking back to spawn (not netherside, becase I forgot). Past the familiar sign and chests saying Utilitarian's glassworks atlantis - coming soon! Coal Donations appreciated! And then across the cobble suspension bri-
WAIT.

Glassworks Atlantis?

That could be what he used the signs for! And he already shoveled out half the beach, that's why he needed coal and not sand. So my question is:

Who is Utilitarian?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:27 am UTC

Despite my lack of attention span, I found a project I can actually stick with. I'm not telling anyone what or where it is just yet though.

SirBryghtside wrote:Who is Utilitarian?

You mean this guy?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

If you pour lava on a tile that is one tile beneath the ceiling of the world, can the resulting pillar of lava ever be removed using in-game tools?
Last edited by You, sir, name? on Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Put water directly on it, mine away the obsidian, wait?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

Or, just pillar up next to it and use a bucket to remove it. ...and then wait a long while. As a griefing tool, it'd be annoying but fixable. If you wanted to do it as something creative rather than destructive (say, setting up a landmark on a SMP server) you'd have to use modly tools to place it higher than the game allows.

They moved the sky cap down a block in 1.7, but you can still break/jump on blocks that are above the sky cap if you can reach them.

I picture a world that was temporarily run using mods, in which you climb a bedrock staircase to far above the clouds...and then asphyxiate? Or maybe just teleport to a skylands scenario.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

You know what? Minecraft actually feels more like an indie game now than it used to.

What's the first thing people notice when they play? The world. And the world generation since 1.8 is very flat, not varied, simplistic. Whereas before 1.8 it looked very complex, varied, like "Holy shit one/a few guys did all this??"

However, I just can't bring myself to play any older version because of the way food works. But it would be nice if they twerked it a bit.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:39 pm UTC

Well, it's not Utilitarian. But it looks like glass/cobble guy was copying his designs.

So I'm halfway there, I guess...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

We could add some tnt explosions and just call it Scallel's.

And, I'm delivering this ultimatum. You have some amount (determined by when I get really tired of writing essays and other school work and don't yet need sleep) of time to secure the comic or I'm putting up a security fence.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:48 am UTC

Did the server just crash (at time of writing this)(It's back up, iPod typing speed is slow)
In other news, there is a massive cave system below my home. I now know what I will do, build a underground city-thing. I wonder how many deaths this project will result in...

In other other news thank you ulharvutha for fixing my nethrtgate. Now to work on a mob trap with a spawned. (done)
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Scallel
Location: Guarded by a dragon, within a volcano, surrounded by spikes. And in the center some lovely begonias.

Postby Scallel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:00 am UTC

December third we shall, if the server is updated, quest for the great blaze rods. Remember, im giving everyone involved free diamond armor and a sword. Potions and other such things will have to be gathered by other means. Until then me and a friend have saints row to play through. And while I misses minecraft quite terribly, I am finding that saints row is a very good outlet for my more, err destructive tendencies. Plus the story is really entertaining. Jaho, you're doing the potions right?
Yays and Thank yous.
Have a lovley day
-Scallel

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:52 am UTC

The 3rd? Aww, I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it. I guess it depends on time, but there's a good chance I'll be occupied from 8 in the morning until I go to bed although I may be able to be done earlier than that. On the bright side, the sugar farm is now (mostly) afk friendly at the top! The button's not up there yet so you have to go down to the main farm and turn it on, but from there you go up top, sit there and wait. Other farms will be hooked up at the request of individual farm managers. Although I will have approximately no free time over the next several weeks so there may be quite a delay in getting them hooked up. I also offer a choice of 2 different kinds of redstone signal I can give your farm in such a way that it will be on when mine's on, and off otherwise. The signals are timed quite a bit (like 16 repeaters or so) and offered in duty cycles of 50% and pulse. And if you really want I could give you a pure on/off signal as well so that you can know if it's on or off. Just put any requests here. And eventually I may get redstone running down from the top so that we can be super lazy.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 am UTC

Sugar cane is the most critical for bookshelves (and thus enchantments), so... thanks for getting that done! Remember everyone, you need 30 bookshelves (270 sugar cane, or 5 stacks of it) to get max enchantments. It takes like 10 minutes of waiting there to get 5 stacks, too.

The next critical thing will likely be pumpkins, so we can use snow golems in the End to divert endermen's attention. For that, though, we need to make sure the gimmick works after 1.0. The rest of the produce are still simple enough to get by hand. Piman's done a great job on the slimes - it does take a while for them to come up, but when they do, you'll suddenly see a large bunch of slimes bounce around on the surface.

I'll pitch in for potions if needed. The Collective farm complex has a large amount of materials for speed, fire resistance and, soon, instant health potions.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:30 am UTC

The 3rd? I'll be in Sydney, being a helper monkey for the FLL Nationals. Sorry, guys. Have fun! :D

Haven't been on the server in a while, been gorging on Skyrim. So much fun!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:05 am UTC

I'm staying away from anything that requires me to actually learn something.

And really, I won't be much help till the end of the semester, something like the 12th. Essays and such I have to do and grade.

There is an experience farmer out at the nature reserve. Just take the couple minute trolley ride. Hop through the portal and then head over the hills as if you were going back to spawn... Basically, if you align yourself to walk down the path, go right. There's a ladder down and the rest is pretty self-explanatory. But you can idle there, let some skels build up, wack them all, repeat, read book.

Also, my threat to build a security fence has been acted upon. The kingdom of Narnia will no longer tolerate comic monsters invading our territory.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:46 am UTC

Steax wrote:The next critical thing will likely be pumpkins, so we can use snow golems in the End to divert endermen's attention.

Since I've already got 3.87 doublechests full of melons, I've switched my piston-squish farm to punkins and am already the better half of the way through filling a double chest. I think we'll be good.

Incidentally, if anyone needs grass seeds or punkin seeds, I've got a "few".

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:46 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Also, my threat to build a security fence has been acted upon. The kingdom of Narnia will no longer tolerate comic monsters invading our territory.

Where is it? Have you destroyed it? I've never seen it... sooo its interesting.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

I saw a video somewhere that showed a snow golem farm that somehow collected snowballs. I'm not sure if it's a mod that does that, though.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:51 pm UTC

This one makes sense and seems to work. Pretty sure we can rig up the redstone to automatically reset the machine if necessary, too.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

Steax wrote:This one makes sense and seems to work. Pretty sure we can rig up the redstone to automatically reset the machine if necessary, too.
...I can't test it, but I betcha you could use two water blades to keep the snowman in place.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

That might work too, though it'd increase the space slightly for the water flow, right?

Oh, and for those of you who don't yet understand enchanting, I'll give you an introduction so you don't have to go through what I have:

Just get levels and hit the darn thing whenever you want to spend that many levels. Since EXP requirements grow per level, you're best spending all your levels in one go.

FAQ

How hard is it to get X enchantment?
Weights for armor: Protection > Fire Protection, Feather Fall, Projectile Protection > Blast Protection, Aqua Affinity, Respiration
Weights for weapons: Sharpness > Smite, Bane of Arthropods, Knockback > Fire Aspect, Looting
Weights for tools: Efficiency > Unbreaking > Fortune > Silk Touch

How many levels do I need to get X enchantment?
Use this table and, for diamond tools, subtract 6 from each of the numbers. It's plus or minus 5 of that, or something around there. Remember, there's no guarantee that you get it.

How do I pick an enchantment?
You can't. Notch strikes again!

How do I get rid of an enchantment?
You can't. Ha! Except through item repair, though that means 2 items for 1.

How do I get a specific enchantment?
You can't be certain.

Then what are those 3 slots and symbols for?
Nothing, only the green number counts.

So what you're saying is... Throw in an item, spend a bunch of levels, and hope for the best?
Yes. Yes I am.

And so enchantments are just random benefits you might get for various things, not ultimate weapons you can design, plan for and collect?
Yes.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

There are tables somewhere telling you exactly how to get the best probability of getting X enchantment for any particukar tool type, e.g. "Bane of Arthropods: Diamond 43, Gold 22" with those numbers being exactly how many levels it is best to spend.

And once you've determined how many levels you want to spend, do it EXACTLY when you reach that level, to minimize the amount of XP that it takes.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:10 pm UTC

Yeah, you can do it optimally, but that's just the math bit. Conceptually, the whole enchanting system is just basically "trade your XP for random stuff", with little control over what you get.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:51 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:On the bright side, the sugar farm is now (mostly) afk friendly at the top! The button's not up there yet so you have to go down to the main farm and turn it on, but from there you go up top, sit there and wait. Other farms will be hooked up at the request of individual farm managers. Although I will have approximately no free time over the next several weeks so there may be quite a delay in getting them hooked up. I also offer a choice of 2 different kinds of redstone signal I can give your farm in such a way that it will be on when mine's on, and off otherwise. The signals are timed quite a bit (like 16 repeaters or so) and offered in duty cycles of 50% and pulse. And if you really want I could give you a pure on/off signal as well so that you can know if it's on or off. Just put any requests here. And eventually I may get redstone running down from the top so that we can be super lazy.

I'm curious how good of timing for sugarcane you are getting out of 16 repeaters - the most I can figure getting from that is something like 1000 ticks, or roughly 50 seconds. Is that enough to work well? I've been using a 5 minute clock, and even then only maybe 25% of the sugarcane has grown for each harvest.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:12 am UTC

So, I installed technicpack to add a little spice to the game for awhile and it turns out my favorite bit of it is the enhanced sound mod. Feels a bit more like I'm out in nature.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:20 am UTC

I want the latest version, but I think it'd break my save game :(
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:45 am UTC

The timing is working fine. It doesn't harvest much each time, but it's long enough that they have time to grow (or some do at least) and it basically just knocks them off when they've grown one level. Eventually it will be built high enough that one harvest fully grown gets enough for 30 bookshelfs. Judging by the progress so far and lack of progress very recently, I don't think it will be quite completed, but it will still be awesome.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Return to “Gaming”