Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Meem1029

Re: Minecraft

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Yes, IWBTS counts as torture Roos.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

Well, if the Steve wannabee considers "I want be to Steve" to be appropriate sentence structure, they deserve all Roose can give them :)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:06 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:Is it really torture if the subjects volunteer? :wink:

Faith's been whitelisted,

You're too fast for me. B^)

And yes, even though they volunteered and received plenty of warning and signed all of the disclaimer forms it's still torture.

Heck, I couldn't even make it through the original IWTBS course in creative mode. Of course my platformer game skill level is somewhere between a slug and a dead sock.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

MA:
Spoiler:
Are we going to do something tomorrow. I am available around 3 pm est and after that as of right now. I also have a ton of cobble and some smooth stone and wood and such. It would be cool to have a lava curtain built into the wall along with the lowest floor to prevent tunnelers into whatever we happen to create.
these are words
type, type, type

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:43 pm UTC

Is there a printable cheat sheet out there for how to make different items? I have a poor memory and hate having to tab back and forth to the wiki.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:39 pm UTC

Uhh, play way too much? That's the method I use. I now know how to craft the vast majority of things in the game.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:36 am UTC

Anyone else here watching the latest season of the ultra hard core series? Who are you rooting for. Normally I would be going for Etho, but I am really enjoying it from Guude's perspective.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:54 am UTC

emceng wrote:Is there a printable cheat sheet out there for how to make different items? I have a poor memory and hate having to tab back and forth to the wiki.

My usual reference for "all recipes on one page" is the wiki's crafting page. It's probably not printer-friendly, though.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:02 am UTC

Also, for the MA server where exactly are we doing a build? Same spot Magna mailed out last saturday?

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:16 am UTC

MA stuff
If we are making a town and a castle, it might make sense to have it a bit further away from spawn, maybe even build it over the ocean. This would be hard to hide but maybe have it 5 blocks over the ocean, with hanging torches under it. Then have a level of lava or something as protection. This would be quite resource intensive but it would have a pretty awesome effect. There are a ton of different methods we could do for defense and building techniques. But where can give us a ton of different strategies. Easy to access makes it easy to grief but also easier to meet new people and grow. Harder to access might make it easier to protect but harder to grow.

What would we want to have, a faction similar to the lightbringers, or a more strict town structure instead. There are so many options we should probably at least somewhat plan out so we have a bit better preparedness for a megabuild. Once again just throwing out ideas.
these are words
type, type, type

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:24 am UTC

Gojoe wrote:Anyone else here watching the latest season of the ultra hard core series? Who are you rooting for. Normally I would be going for Etho, but I am really enjoying it from Guude's perspective.

I was going to root for Etho, but it seems he has fallen into the trap of thinking he needs to be able to heal, rather than thinking that he needs to kill his opponents before they can get the capacity to heal.
I really like Baj's perspective with its Bear Grills mockery, but I think Kurt is going to win, just judging from the start (and because he and beef seem to be the only ones to have considered using wolves).

I should mention that I have only seen the first video of each player's perspective (started with Beef :)). Going to check right now if they posted the next ones.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:28 am UTC

Etho and Guude are my two favorite youtubers but after watching a few different perspective including, boo, and kurt, and some pause, I think it will come down to guude and kurt. Guude has the experience from the other series while kurt seems to be doing a great job so far.
Please, if you have a spoiler about the series put it in a spoiler tag to be polite.
these are words
type, type, type

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:38 am UTC

Yeah I also really like what Kurt is doing. I am going now and watching some other perspectives.

I really wish BdoubleO was doing better. I love a bunch of his stuff.

EDIT: Also I am not so sure how good a wolf will be. I found in SMP that wolfs are only good for revenge. Like they kill the person after you are already dead.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Miner Apocalypse is an 8000x8000 square centered around 0,0 that loops around, so we can't get too far from spawn. There's already two big-ish established towns, and I was thinking we could be somewhat near them but farther from spawn.

I'd rather have one big fortress, and suspending it in the sky sounds good.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Did someone say... in the sky?

In other news, I've completed plans for obscure vault rooms and emergency closing piston doors with traps in them (trying to mine open the doorway will release lava instantly from above). Also, a combination of slabs and water columns make for excellent blast protection. All for building in the sky, which means minimum profiles and ease of hiding.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:51 am UTC

I'm trying to think of a discreet way to enter and exit a sky castle. Maybe a water elevator triggered by a pressure plate that you have to hit with a fishing rod...

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:08 am UTC

Oooh, oooh, pick me! There's a bug that you can exploit that allows you to send wireless signals via pistons. If we make a transmitter below we can have it open a water gate which we can then close. I'll find a link to the youtube video of it when I'm more rested.

ronypaul

Postby ronypaul » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:44 am UTC

MCMapper makes Roguelike-ish dungeons in pre-existing worlds. The one I generated was empty, but then, I did select the Torches Everywhere option. I thought it meant torches on the *surface* so I could find it easier...

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:41 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:BlueJello, I set up a smoothstone sheet generator demo next to your auto-build castle. Feel free to pull it apart for parts if you don't like the design. There's also a bunch of iron in your donation box.

I have decided to adopt this design into the castle building system. When I am on later I will be moving large quantities of lava and completely redoing the piston structure.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

MA People: I'm in a bit of an emergency, so I can't be online today until about 7 PST. Oops.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:27 pm UTC

MA:

well, I'd be joining everyone...
If I knew where we were going. I haven't been on yet, and I don't have any clue where to go from whatever my spawnpoint happens to be.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:07 pm UTC

Oh, right. I forgot we were planning on doing this. Are people on and going right now? If not, when are we going to.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 pm UTC

MA server:
I am still up for it if others are
these are words
type, type, type

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:09 pm UTC

Are you guys responsible for the giant cobble sky walkway at the given location?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:45 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Are you guys responsible for the giant cobble sky walkway at the given location?

I don't know who did that, but I don't like the advertising... It wouldn't be too bad to cut it back a few hundred meters. Assuming we are going to build at the end of it, and not in a different place.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:40 am UTC

Ya, I've seen signs on there and they've taken stuff from the chests along the way. It seems to be a hotspot for attention that we don't want. I think we should go at least 500 blocks away from it and kind of out of the way of everything.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:52 am UTC

Luckily, there's a pretty big ocean nearby. I found a spot ~600m away and pretty far from any land, which seems perfect. PMing coordinates.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:51 pm UTC

I'm wondering: if the world is 8000 by 8000 chunks, someone should make a cobblestone roof over the entire world!

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

For those curious, magna and I ended up crossing paths last night and worked for a while. We have a pretty solid start to a base made. I would recommend not trying to actually get there, since after you get to the location there are, uhh, certain security measures that currently require someone in the base to let you in. Just post here and/or send a pm and I'll try to get on to let you in and explain what's up.

Also, is that you building something beneath us magna? Or someone else from xkcd? Or just someone else entirely?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:I'm wondering: if the world is 8000 by 8000 chunks, someone should make a cobblestone roof over the entire world!
That would fit the apocalypse aspect, but I think people might complain. :P

I haven't built anything below us... I'll check it out now. Also, screencap for posterity:
Spoiler:
2012-03-24_03.22.44.png

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:12 am UTC

Screw them. I say we try to gather enough materials to build something like that at sky limit -1 (for crafting benches, furnaces, etc. on top). We won't get it all, but we can try. If we wanted to go super-epic, we could do it with stone bricks (although that would take even longer).

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:15 am UTC

Where are you guys located, so I can join you?

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:22 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:For those curious, magna and I ended up crossing paths last night and worked for a while. We have a pretty solid start to a base made. I would recommend not trying to actually get there, since after you get to the location there are, uhh, certain security measures that currently require someone in the base to let you in. Just post here and/or send a pm and I'll try to get on to let you in and explain what's up.

Also, is that you building something beneath us magna? Or someone else from xkcd? Or just someone else entirely?

I think that was my friend jandolara.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:50 am UTC

I have good news and bad news. Bad: I fell and need you to let me back up at some point magna. Good: I explored some caves and found some pumpkin seeds for us.

Jandolora

Postby Jandolora » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:55 am UTC

CombustibleLemons wrote:
Meem1029 wrote:For those curious, magna and I ended up crossing paths last night and worked for a while. We have a pretty solid start to a base made. I would recommend not trying to actually get there, since after you get to the location there are, uhh, certain security measures that currently require someone in the base to let you in. Just post here and/or send a pm and I'll try to get on to let you in and explain what's up.

I think that was my friend jandolara.

All i built was a rather small shelter on the water, right above where we surfaced... and have not a clue how to get back into the tunnel under the ocean.

EDIT : upon extensive testing, (read: I looked up) i think that was me below you guys.
Last edited by Jandolora on Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:48 am UTC

Hey, so I went to the co-ordinates given, and it appears someone found and ransacked the base. I managed to salvage the melon farm, but if there were any diamonds or anything valuable, they are gone now.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:16 pm UTC

Er, that was unfortunate. We didn't lose much, though.

Does anyone object to removing the surface-level building? We can hide a small room underwater, where it's less conspicuous.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in ages. I'm doing my student teaching (an internship for teachers, for those who aren't familiar), and it is eating all of my time!

I'm also on MA now. I'm assuming I need to be PMed about location details? I'd love to help out.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:30 pm UTC

Sup guys! it's been a long time. This MA server stuff looks fun, can someone Pm coordinates and server ip to join you guys.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:43 am UTC

MA server:
I am in the cave system below the base. I have a pretty full inventory for the base, I might be able to bring a second trip back with supplies soon. I could always hide a temporary chest in the caves.
these are words
type, type, type

Return to “Gaming”