Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Xerillum

Re: Minecraft

Postby Xerillum » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:51 pm UTC

Maybe keep diamonds and valuables on you when you log off. That way there aren't any chests to x-ray.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

I have decided to try out miner apocalypse. How badly can I mess up I wonder...
quick question, the nether and end are enabled, correct?
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

Well I'm playing on MA. I'm not interested in the co-ords though, I'm just playing as a wanderer. My intent is to set up little shelters with small farms and basic supplies before moving on., kind of a "johnny appleseed" sort of character. Hopefully I'll find some melon seeds somewhere so the indoor gardens can have both melons and wheat.

Oh BTW, are we calling out MA home base Pandora? I met a player from Bespin and identified myself as a wanderer from Pandora.
Last edited by blalobw on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:40 am UTC

Xerillum wrote:Maybe keep diamonds and valuables on you when you log off. That way there aren't any chests to x-ray.

only problem with that is that if you're offline, no-one can use said diamonds to make a new pick, or sword, or anything else.

evidently, the whole deal about obfuscating out-of-sight-line blocks doesn't work well. I vote for an offsite location, although where I have no idea.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:46 am UTC

One could build the base out of tiled chests and furnaces.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 am UTC

MA: Requesting the cords for the base. I might like this particular style.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:26 am UTC

Just so everyone knows, I've changed our frequency since they obvious saw our old one. Please change your listening frequencies accordingly.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:52 am UTC

blalobw wrote:Well I'm playing on MA. I'm not interested in the co-ords though, I'm just playing as a wanderer. My intent is to set up little shelters with small farms and basic supplies before moving on., kind of a "johnny appleseed" sort of character. Hopefully I'll find some melon seeds somewhere so the indoor gardens can have both melons and wheat.

Oh BTW, are we calling out MA home base Pandora? I met a player from Bespin and identified myself as a wanderer from Pandora.

I don't think we should for thread confusion sake.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:07 am UTC

The Pandora embensary would work, or the Pandora outpost.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:28 am UTC

Pandora Embassy works best, I think.

I agree about making our main storage off-site: there's simply no good way to hide chests in the skybase.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:51 am UTC

The only good way I can think of is to have a chest flying over the base and around 35-80 blocks away, or lots of chests and the real one being 50-100 blocks away.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:53 am UTC

Well, as soon as I went off on my supply run I managed to die. I'm working on getting back (my bed was apparently removed/replaced), and gathering the supplies I set out for. It's slow going though, especially as an easy source of food is hard to come by.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 am UTC

Well there's always wheat, but without bone meal it's a waiting game.

Any ideas for a XKCD relevant shelter/indoor farm? I've been playing with designs but so far haven't found anything better than a suspiciously geometrically perfect (hemispherical) hill.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:48 am UTC

blalobw wrote:Well there's always wheat, but without bone meal it's a waiting game.

Any ideas for a XKCD relevant shelter/indoor farm? I've been playing with designs but so far haven't found anything better than a suspiciously geometrically perfect (hemispherical) hill.

Make it a little bit larger, with a cliff on one side. Terrain generator can do that quite a bit.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:13 am UTC

An alarm system is now built into the base, and we've moved the "main" floor to the second. Ask whoever takes you in about how to disable the alarm.

I used mushrooms for food; hard, but doable.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:51 am UTC

I hid one underground somewhere, not too far from the base, but I don't feel comfortable saying anything on the thread--when I'm on later today I can tell people about where it is.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:25 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:
blalobw wrote:Well there's always wheat, but without bone meal it's a waiting game.

Make it a little bit larger, with a cliff on one side. Terrain generator can do that quite a bit.

I'm not getting the XKCD referance there. They're not really meant to be hidden shelters. I'm doing this as a public service.

Sorry my request wasn't fully clear.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:59 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
_infina_ wrote:

I'm not getting the XKCD referance there. They're not really meant to be hidden shelters. I'm doing this as a public service.

Sorry my request wasn't fully clear.

I was still half-asleep, too.

Make it a black hat. That should work.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

We were raided again.

This time, however, our higher-level defenses worked. They triggered the pressure plates and sent out the distress signal, so they quickly went for the jukeboxes. They only took the jukeboxes, the gold block above one of them, the enchanting table, and the beds. Oh, and the piston. Most have been recovered. I logged in just in time to see them flee by jumping off the side. Amusingly, they did poke around in search of hidden chests (and seem to have accidentally activated the SOS transmitter in the process) but got nothing. They go to the base by towering up, which I haven't yet fully cleared, but it's almost done.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

If anyone's online, I just died trying to work on the tower they used to get to our base. I had several diamonds, two stacks of iron, etc. Grab it quickly! It should be right under the tower!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

Until we become really secure, we should hide the enchanting table underground like the radio. People don't need it often anyway, and that's a lot safer.

Also, I've been digging out the ocean floor, just to discourage people from towering up.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:17 pm UTC

Do we want to get a nethergate set up? Perhaps encased in dirt below the ocean connecting to one that is located in a netherack room in the nether, for netherwart farming if we get some.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Carlomagno wrote:If anyone's online, I just died trying to work on the tower they used to get to our base. I had several diamonds, two stacks of iron, etc. Grab it quickly! It should be right under the tower!

OK, I grabbed it. I only found 2 diamond 2 stacks of iron and other stuff. did the raiders died on the way down? I found a jukebox and gold block as well.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:
Carlomagno wrote:If anyone's online, I just died trying to work on the tower they used to get to our base. I had several diamonds, two stacks of iron, etc. Grab it quickly! It should be right under the tower!

OK, I grabbed it. I only found 2 diamond 2 stacks of iron and other stuff. did the raiders died on the way down? I found a jukebox and gold block as well.

Nope! I also had that stuff! I'm so glad we were able to save it!

wam

Postby wam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

Hey if anyones interested iv built a vault with a combination lock under the north train station in pandora. Might be useful for MA.

It needs expanding as the number of combinations is not that high, and at some point im going to build obsidian walls to make it more realistic.

Also have fun finding the entrance :D
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

We now have fifteen slimeballs! The hours spent mining that slime farm are suddenly worth it. meem, when you get a chance there's two sticky pistons in the chest here.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:36 pm UTC

wam wrote:Hey if anyones interested iv built a vault with a combination lock under the north train station in pandora. Might be useful for MA.

It needs expanding as the number of combinations is not that high, and at some point im going to build obsidian walls to make it more realistic.

Also have fun finding the entrance :D

If "Have fun finding the entrance" is code for "You will almost certainly die trying to find the entrance" then yes, that would be a useful vault in MA. >B^)

Anyway, I've been running around a lot, dieing a lot, met two people who didn't kill me on sight and one that did, collected items from presumed sites of accidental deaths and generally having a good time.

While sky fortresses are awesome and all, it seems that a mid ocean undersea base would be more secure. Other than the difficulty getting animals there that may actually be an ideal base of operations. Of course if one has a silk touch to collect grass blocks then eventually we would get random spawns in a well lighted undersea meadow.

Other possibilities include temporarily making a tunnel to the mainland and herding critters through that.

Anyway, is there a deep ocean in the neighborhood of the skybase? If so, I'd kinda like a PM of the co-ords after all.

wam

Postby wam » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

Blablow

Well at the moment the risk of death is very low, its just a hidden entrance and a smallish maze. That will change at some point, when i get round to it.

The vault itself is combination locked, and im currently mining obsidian to make it very diffcult to get in without entering the combination.

On a related note can I get fire privileges? :twisted:
Come join us playing mafia signup here

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

wam wrote:Blablow

Well at the moment the risk of death is very low, its just a hidden entrance and a smallish maze. That will change at some point, when i get round to it.

The vault itself is combination locked, and im currently mining obsidian to make it very diffcult to get in without entering the combination.

On a related note can I get fire privileges? :twisted:

As soon as my connection will let me log into the server's FTP I'll make sure you get them. Have you tried in the past couple of weeks? IIRC I added a few folks back then, you may have been one.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

Well, I'm under the XKCD sky fortress, but there's someone up there who isn't responding to my hails.

Are messages also limited vertically? If not, whoever's there is ignoring me.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:32 pm UTC

We were not hearing the message. The range of messages is I think 50 blocks in all directions. (the only reason I saw you was because of optifine zoom)

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:34 am UTC

MA stuff:

So what is the plan for the MA base? are we gonna eventually notify our presence to the subreddit?
also, since they already know where we are, I was thinking of expanding 10-15 blocks outwards and build up. add watch towers and death traps.
There is also this guy. He seems trustworthy enough. I was thinking, with your approval of course, to add him to our 'faction'.

EDIT

Is the MA server down at the moment?

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:46 am UTC

It would appear to be down, as I cannot connect.

Edit: Back up
Last edited by Carlomagno on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:56 am UTC

Yes, it's down for scheduled downtime. Apparently.

My issue with the MA server is, as people said on reddit, that there's no way to protect stuff while we're offline. We can set up elaborate defenses and hide things, but they can rarely actually hurt attackers, while they have little to lose and everything to gain.

I wish there were locked chests, maybe with very limited storage and the inability to place two closer than 3 cells to each other, which you lock with jukeboxes and signs. You'd put the password on the sign, then take the sign off, and you have to use the same password every time (or destroy the jukebox to reset it, but the chest remains locked). The chest itself would be indestructible (hence the proximity limitation, to avoid them being used for walls). Then, when raiders come, they can only damage your actual base and anything you're carrying. It would avoid the start-from-scratch issues you have every time after getting attacked.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:15 am UTC

One option is hiding chests in lava. You can still access them and they work just fine, but can't be seen by xray.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 am UTC

A locked chest mod was suggested (although now I can't find that thread), but people decided that it would break the spirit of the server because stealing at all would be impossible. If there's a compromise that would work well, we could suggest it.

Also, I just announced our presence. If you have anything else to add, I'll edit it in.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:23 am UTC

Found while exploring:

why we can't have nice things.png
This is why we can't have nice things
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:37 am UTC

I've started listening in with my radio set to scan under our listening tower. I've found 7 frequencies nearby with repeating messages. I also have an idea to triangulate the other radio towers. Not sure what that'd be useful for, but I figure it could be something.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:54 am UTC

Various degrees of boredom while building a circular fortress without people on and waiting for server updates has lead to to request the coords for MA! (An amazing sentence no?)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:52 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:A locked chest mod was suggested (although now I can't find that thread), but people decided that it would break the spirit of the server because stealing at all would be impossible. If there's a compromise that would work well, we could suggest it.

Also, I just announced our presence. If you have anything else to add, I'll edit it in.

I think a fair limitation would be to place 1 item each per chest slot, instead of a full stack. Or maybe use furnaces instead of chests, and limit to 2 stacks of 2 items. Add in a proximity restriction so you couldn't have more than a few of them in a base. I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to make this possible.

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:Found while exploring:

why we can't have nice things.png

I just put some melons in that chest. It does get really annoying after a while.

Return to “Gaming”