Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

nowfocus

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby nowfocus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 pm UTC

Keldaran wrote:Yay pc we better be getting them for free and not steam distroed

Of all games to expect an advantage for the pc you pick this one? I think half the reason they disabled map making was so they could charge you for these things.

I hope it doesn't sell well. Crappy addons costing 1/4 of the game is a dangerous precedent.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:56 am UTC

If it gets steam distroed i am going to switch over to BFBC2 for good

ProjectWind

Postby ProjectWind » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:46 am UTC

Any love left for this game?
At first I was really put off by the whole lack of dedicated servers and all the other crap, then I got it as a gift, so of course I had to at least try it. So far I've been addicted, and lag/host switching isn't that bad honestly (pc version here).Regardless, I was really looking forward to BFBC2 and preordered it and played in the beta. The beta was pretty good, but when the full game came out playing was a huge pain. Load times and lag were frustrating and I found myself going back to MW2 because it loads so freakin fast. So far I've prestiged 5 times and just got the fall camo for the intervention. I haven't played BFBC2 since (and I feel kinda bad since I spent my own monies on it). I've noticed lots of bashing on other websites and honestly I just find this game to be good, despite its flaws. (seriously, it took me like 8 minutes to get from desktop to killing in BFBC2, where as in MW2 it was like 45 seconds.)
- ProjectMuffin.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:27 am UTC

I haven't played it in a month or so, and at $15 for the map pack, I don't care enough to start again right now.

Incidentally, I will never prestige again after trying it in MW1. "Hey, want to earn all those rewards that you had again so that you can use the weakest weapons with no perks for a while and get annihilated by everyone?" Fuck. No.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I haven't played it in a month or so, and at $15 for the map pack, I don't care enough to start again right now.

Incidentally, I will never prestige again after trying it in MW1. "Hey, want to earn all those rewards that you had again so that you can use the weakest weapons with no perks for a while and get annihilated by everyone?" Fuck. No.

My thought exactly. I haven't even hit 70 yet, and there's no way I want to muck through all the crap again. It would be nice to have more class slots, but it is not worth the time and frustration.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:28 pm UTC

Res'ing this thread to ask a question. My mom has apparently been playing on modded servers on the 360. First of all, how is this even possible? Second, is there any reason she shouldn't be playing on modded servers. Google is really no help on this. She said there is one server that if you play on it it gives the guy who created it access to your XBL account. And apparently it's random if you land on it. Is there a chance any time I play MW2 now that I'll land on some random modded server and some idiot will fuck over my XBL account? The lines between PC gaming and console gaming are blurring, I'm so confused, lol.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sun May 01, 2011 1:11 am UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote: She said there is one server that if you play on it it gives the guy who created it access to your XBL account.

And also steals you credit card numbers, drives away your car and sells your house.

What a load of poop. Yes, modded lobbies exist on 360, but this is nonsense.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 01, 2011 1:17 am UTC

That's good to know. However, I just tried to play and holy shit it's annoying as fuck. Every other server I get thrown into has some stupid shit with idiots jumping 100 feet in the air or the game ending after 1 kill. What the fuck? Did activision really think it was good idea to allow modded servers and just make players play russian roulette as to what kind of server they'll get?
--Flobots "Mayday"

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sun May 01, 2011 1:59 am UTC

They probably didn't "allow" modded servers. This has been happening at least as far back as Halo 2. Best you can do is report them really.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Sun May 01, 2011 4:39 am UTC

My MW2 stopped working, I think it has something to do with ports and I can't figure it out. I even bought a new package and that didn't fix the problem.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 01, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Xeio wrote:They probably didn't "allow" modded servers. This has been happening at least as far back as Halo 2. Best you can do is report them really.
Really? It never happened to me before until tonight. I found some old news articles about a bug awhile back where public players would get dumped into private matches, I wonder if there's a similar bug causing modded servers to appear in public matches now. Or does it have to do with who is hosting? Some kid was begging for the host to log off so he could be host, and when the host migrated the game went to shit. I hope it get's fixed, I used to love MW2, but now it's like Counter-Strike, and that's terrible. At least I still have Black Ops, Medal of Honor and Homefront.
--Flobots "Mayday"

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:34 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:My MW2 stopped working, I think it has something to do with ports and I can't figure it out. I even bought a new package and that didn't fix the problem.

If I can remember from back in my ol' days of XBox support (yes, I was one of those guys, feel free to hate me), the ports that need to be open are

TCP 53, 80, 3074
UDP 80, 88, 3074

as far as anything XBox Live related goes. If it's actually a problem with your connection to the Activision/IW servers, I've got no clue. Oh, and if somehow you magicked your account into a child's account, Activision won't let you play the game even if your XBox Family Settings say you should be able to.

SurgicalSteel wrote:I hope it get's fixed, I used to love MW2, but now it's like Counter-Strike, and that's terrible. At least I still have Black Ops, Medal of Honor and Homefront.

Battlefield series all the way. The gameplay looks SICK.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 01, 2011 5:59 am UTC

The only problem I have with the Battlefield games is that I don't own any of them. If I had a full-time job I'd be all over that shit.
--Flobots "Mayday"

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:07 am UTC

Well, there's the F2P Battlefield Heroes, but money buys power, which is absolutely bad if you're trying to fly under the F2P model.

On the plus side, the Battlefield games tend to drop in price waaaaay fast because they don't have the frat-boy following Call of Duty has. Battlefield 2 was down to $9.99 about a year or so after it was released.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun May 01, 2011 7:35 am UTC

Ok, well, I lied: not owning them isn't my only problem with them. Actually, I don't have a problem with the games in and of themselves, I played a demo of one once and it seemed pretty cool, but I do have a problem with trying to use it as a MW2 replacement. Unless they changed a lot in terms of gameplay since the first one they are entirely different games from MW2. Sometimes I like the slow, methodical play of BF, other times I just want open a few beers and hold down the trigger on a machine gun and shoot rockets at helicopters. I'll check the F2P battlefield though, thanks for the tip.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Return to “Gaming”