Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

The Utilitarian

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:And as far as using the knife, I realize the concept, but damned if I hate that thing. You miss and you can't fire/knife again for like 5 seconds. Also, it seems to be easy to miss with. I'm frequently in situations where an enemy and I knife and miss each other twice before one of us gets the kill, which is really just an awkward fight.

It's so strange how divided the community is on the knife. On the one hand you've got folks who think it's not nearly good enough and talk about how it's ridiculous to "miss" with a knife, and on the other hand you've got people who think it's silly that the knife will beat a submachine gun even if the fellow with the fun manages to get several bullets into his knife assailant.

While I like having the knife for times when you sneak up on someone and want to finish them off quickly without wasting ammo, I have to say I am somewhat annoyed by the guarenteed leathality of it. It seems to me that if I've gotten a few rounds from my gun into you, and you attack me with a knife from the front, you shouldn't be the one coming out on top.

I'd really prefer to see the knife be made less effective for frontal assaults somehow, while maintaining its sure-kill power when catching an enemy offguard. Perhaps having your knife swing stopped if you take a round on the way in?
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:03 am UTC

The knife needs to be lethal at close range, otherwise dual rangers and 1887s become even more insane.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:01 am UTC

But how close? I think they got this right in MW1, knifing wasn't rarely used in frontal combat, it was more when you catch someone rounding a corner, or you snuck up on an enemy position and didn't want to show up on radar.

Part of this is due to pistols being largely mandatory in MW1, so people would just switch to that instead, but part of it is that knife range was much lower.

I'd like to see depend on your motion. If you standing still its short, if your walking or running its a bit further, if your sprinting its the longest.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:04 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:The knife needs to be lethal at close range, otherwise dual rangers and 1887s become even more insane.

One might posit the solution to one problem is not to introduce another.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:26 am UTC

The problem with knives isnt that they are 1 hit kills - if they werent, they would be near-useless. The problem is that with commando, you can lunge with them from across the room.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:12 am UTC

Another issue is just how much better assault rifles are in this game than the last. The SCAR-H is the best example: fully automatic, managable recoil, 30-40 damage. There weren't any guns like that in the previous game. The AK came close but lost out because you can't use attachments with it.

Further, I feel like sniping has lost its edge in many maps, there just aren't as many lines of sight that are long enough that an AR can't effectively kill. High Rise has some, Afghan has some, a few other maps have some, but just not to the same extent as the first MW. This comes at the same time as the maps getting larger, so you can't expect as much traffic in your scope.

Ixtellor wrote:Thats what stingers are for.

I use stingers, but I feel like I'm the only one, and some classes its just not viable, like my sniping class. I am decent at the game, and am often at the top of my team.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:44 pm UTC

I'm really not noticing the difference with assualt rifles. The Scar-H may have good power and be automatic, but it still has a slow rate of fire. I find I prefer the M4's fast rate of fire, even with the reduced damage. I kinda feel the guns seem a little weaker all around. Granted... I'm not the best judge. I went from playing only hardcore in MW1 to non-hc in MW2.

Sniping, on the other hand, I never thought was a viable option. It restricts your view, movement, hud, etc, all at a very minimal gain. You're better off taking a Burst Fire or Single Shot rifle with an ACOG scope. You'll still get good viewing distance, and it's really no harder to kill people.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:13 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Sniping, on the other hand, I never thought was a viable option. It restricts your view, movement, hud, etc, all at a very minimal gain. You're better off taking a Burst Fire or Single Shot rifle with an ACOG scope. You'll still get good viewing distance, and it's really no harder to kill people.

I think they mean in a non-hardcore setting.
Snipping on the map Crossfire in MW1, was lethal.
The only map I see snipers on now is that... er forget name, the giant one with the trenches and the underground part in the center. I don't even bother playing it now on Hardcore, because people camp in obscure place and can easily go 16-0 without anyone ever even finding out wtf they are hiding.

In HC, I tend to agree with you on assault over snipe though. With the addition of the new thermal scope on assault weapons, they are just as good, as if the ACOG wasn't good enough.

But I did find it frustrating to get my 20 ACOG kills in reg mode on the M16, because it takes 2 full bursts.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 pm UTC

I always thought the M16 kills in 1 burst, at least if all 3 hit. I know for a fact that the raffica kills in 1 burst, so it would be really bizzare if the m16 did less damage than a pistol.

Kelly

CODMW2: Claymore or C4?

Postby Kelly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:41 pm UTC

Greetings!
I've been debating back and fourth about which is better for me. I almost always play Ground War so I can be in party chat with my friends.
I like the Claymore because I plant it behind me to prevent someone from sneaking up on me (usually) and sometimes I can plant one in front of a doorway I know the enemy team will run through, but with scrambler, SitRep, and bitch-nades that usually doesn't work.
I like C4 because I can plant it somewhere nefarious (like a checkpoint in domination) and when I hear "We're loosing Charlie!" I can whip out my detonator and CLICK, BOOM! No more charlie issues.

What do you guys think / what do you prefer?

PS: M16, FMJ, n00b Tube = heheheheh

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:I always thought the M16 kills in 1 burst, at least if all 3 hit. I know for a fact that the raffica kills in 1 burst, so it would be really bizzare if the m16 did less damage than a pistol.

I second this. I mean... it's usually unlikely to get that full burst to hit them (at least at the distance I use it) but 3 bullets seem to kill. I just always expect to need a second burst because at least one bullet will miss.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:36 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:I always thought the M16 kills in 1 burst, at least if all 3 hit. I know for a fact that the raffica kills in 1 burst, so it would be really bizzare if the m16 did less damage than a pistol.

With stopping power, yes. Without stopping power no. Players have 100 health, and at range the M16 does 30 damage. 3 shot burst = 90 damage.

Ixtellor wrote:The only map I see snipers on now is that... er forget name, the giant one with the trenches and the underground part in the center. I don't even bother playing it now on Hardcore, because people camp in obscure place and can easily go 16-0 without anyone ever even finding out wtf they are hiding.

Ironically thats one map I don't snipe on. To many angles to cover. My favourate sniping maps are high rise and Afghan.

ProZac wrote:I'm really not noticing the difference with assualt rifles. The Scar-H may have good power and be automatic, but it still has a slow rate of fire. I find I prefer the M4's fast rate of fire, even with the reduced damage. I kinda feel the guns seem a little weaker all around. Granted... I'm not the best judge. I went from playing only hardcore in MW1 to non-hc in MW2.

Sniping, on the other hand, I never thought was a viable option. It restricts your view, movement, hud, etc, all at a very minimal gain. You're better off taking a Burst Fire or Single Shot rifle with an ACOG scope. You'll still get good viewing distance, and it's really no harder to kill people.

You really shouldn't use the M4 this time around, its just a weaker gun. I think the ACR is objectively better than it. The SCAR will still kill faster than the M4. If you don't like the rate of fire, then maybe switch to the TAR? You just need to burst it at range, but it has more ammo than the SCAR, a bigger clip, and fires much faster.

The advantage of Sniping is the possibility of instant kills, whereas a burst fire weapon may miss a shot, and takes time to get all the shots there. In the first MW sniping was more viable simply because the sight lines were longer and the ARs were weaker.

nowfocus

Re: CODMW2: Claymore or C4?

Postby nowfocus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

It depends on the class/game. For ground war C4 is almost certainly better, thats what I used to get my 8-bit price. If your sniping though, you want a claymore to eliminate a flank route. I get tons of kills claymoring of certain areas (the central building in the winter map, the flank routes in High Rise are great examples).

In non domination, C4 are the new grenades, just toss and immediately detonate. If your reloading you can toss one down to protect you.

Overall, Claymores are better for defensive play styles, C4 is better for offensive playstyles in non-domination. In domination, C4 is king.

Protip: Don't take out the detonator, just double tap reload and it blows up the C4.

Kelly

Re: CODMW2: Claymore or C4?

Postby Kelly » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:50 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:Protip: Don't take out the detonator, just double tap reload and it blows up the C4.

I want to hug you now XD XD XD

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:52 pm UTC

So, can anyone tell me something, is there any more forms of Ghillie available besides the Arctic and standard ones?
I just unlocked the former after thinking the latter was the only type for two weeks, and since I'm sniping a lot (woohoo for Barret .50cal with Thermal Scope and silencer!) it's something I'm interested in.
Signatures are for chumps.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:You really shouldn't use the M4 this time around, its just a weaker gun. I think the ACR is objectively better than it. The SCAR will still kill faster than the M4. If you don't like the rate of fire, then maybe switch to the TAR? You just need to burst it at range, but it has more ammo than the SCAR, a bigger clip, and fires much faster.

The advantage of Sniping is the possibility of instant kills, whereas a burst fire weapon may miss a shot, and takes time to get all the shots there. In the first MW sniping was more viable simply because the sight lines were longer and the ARs were weaker.

Sniping is only instant if you headshot (in which case an AR is too) or have stopping power (in which case an AR with solo-burst too, might still need 2 shots with a single shot). That's another reason I never snipe, I care too much for Cold-Blooded and Ninja.

I've never actually tried the TAR, so I can't speak for that AR, and I just unlocked the ACR this past weekend. I'm liking it so far, but I haven't gotten to use it alot. I've been having more fun going solely shotgun/stopping power, or danger close/one many army/rifle grenade (yeah, it's mean, but it's fun). I always felt less accurate with the Scar, though I think that was once again due to the lower fire rate, so I wasn't hitting them as often.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:09 pm UTC

I'm a Akimbo whore/Knife fag/Camper/n00b tuber myself.
Except for when I use a light machinegun, then I'm target practice.
Seriously though, basically all my classes fall into one of those groups according to others

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Sniping is only instant if you headshot (in which case an AR is too) or have stopping power (in which case an AR with solo-burst too, might still need 2 shots with a single shot). That's another reason I never snipe, I care too much for Cold-Blooded and Ninja.

Sniping is a one hit kill on anything not limbs with stopping power (and one of the first two sniper rifles). ARs are not a one burst kill without stopping power unless you get a headshot (they do 30 damage at 30, takes 100 damage to kill). ARs also have recoil, so at long range you can't be guaranteed to land all three shots of a burst, and to me it feels unlikely. I think I saw that the game actually increases recoil if you silence. The enemy also has a small window to react messing up the other bullets.

And this is only in terms of stationary targets. To kill a moving target without stopping power and an AR, you need to keep the cross hairs over the target for .3 seconds or so, have not let recoil impact your accuracy and get a headshot, which is damn near impossible at a decent range. The sniper only needs to hold the cross hairs over the target during the shot, and not any time afterwards.

ARs are quite strong, but sniping definately serves a purpose when the maps allow for the appropiate distances. Many of these unfortunately don't.

Box Boy wrote:So, can anyone tell me something, is there any more forms of Ghillie available besides the Arctic and standard ones?

There are urban and desert camo suits for snipers. You unlock them for complete Ghillie in the Mist II and III I think.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:49 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:I'm a Akimbo whore/Knife fag/Camper/n00b tuber myself.
Seriously though, basically all my classes fall into one of those groups according to others

Why don't you just download hacks for it. Then you can be the ultimate king of cheap kills.

Ixtellor

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:20 am UTC

I must say the FAMAS with a thermal is a point and click adventure. But i hate the extended mag challenge I'm mean its not hard it just takes forever.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:56 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:I must say the FAMAS with a thermal is a point and click adventure. But i hate the extended mag challenge I'm mean its not hard it just takes forever.

Yeah. Its really just luck. Also, the "this bullet went through a wall" detector doesnt function very well. Ive only unlocked extended mags on the SCAR.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 am UTC

God it's taking me forever to get Coldblooded pro. I'm getting better at spotting UAVs and that's helping but without stopping power pro equipped for the extra vehical damage it can be a bit of a gong show, where I'll get a missile on the harrier or chopper, but have someone else's shot come in a second later and get the destruction credit.

Plus I see a sentry gun like once every 10 games or something -_-

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am UTC

It can take a while. Just run around with one man army or stingers in your secondary, and you should get it soon enough

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:19 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:It can take a while. Just run around with one man army or stingers in your secondary, and you should get it soon enough

*L* Yea I need to level up far enough to HAVE One Man Army before that could happen...

uh.. what DOES One Man Army do anyways? Haven't unlocked it yet.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 am UTC

It lets you swap classes without respawning. Its really not very good, because not only does it take a perk, take time to change (and you are defenseless the entire time), but it also takes up your secondary weapon slot

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:40 am UTC

Personally I love it, but it just fits my playstyle.

Also: Quite close to my first nuke. Had about 18-20 kills with my chopper gunner having 30 seconds left and the game ends :(

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:33 am UTC

I got my first nuke, about 2 minutes ago! Domination (of course) on Karachi. I just camped by a flag until I got harriers, got a few more kills, then about 16 kills from chopper gunner. I used my M1014 mostly.

Now is it a dick move to end the game early, or is that better than letting the score go to 199 and then hitting the nuke?

I thought one man army would be neat, but I hate not having a secondary weapon.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Ok, what killstreak rewards count towards your kill count? I thought it was 'One that come in care packages' don't, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I usually go with UAV -> Harrier -> Chopper Gunner. there's only 4 kills between Harrier and Chopper Gunner, and the harrier is almost guaranteed to get that. However, it always seems like the Harrier's kills don't count.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:34 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Ok, what killstreak rewards count towards your kill count? I thought it was 'One that come in care packages' don't, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I usually go with UAV -> Harrier -> Chopper Gunner. there's only 4 kills between Harrier and Chopper Gunner, and the harrier is almost guaranteed to get that. However, it always seems like the Harrier's kills don't count.

I thought I noticed (could be totally wrong) that they count as long as you don't die after you call it in. But if you die, and respawn none if its kills count.

The Extended mag challenge is a PAIN in the ASS. On the Scar, FAL, and M16 I have everything unlocked except that.
On the FAL, its basically impossible in reg mode. (impossible meaning - forever)
I am going to hit level 48 and the new assault weapon in 1 level, and I doubt I will have my m-16 FMJ done.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

Google tells me the following (from modernwarfare2.com):

All killstreak kills (Predator Missiles, Airstrikes, etc.) count towards your next killstreak, except for those that have been acquired from Care Packages. All killstreaks that have been earned during previous lives will not add to your total.

I never noticed that killstreak reward kills count towards the streak at all, since I mostly play S&D and my setup is UAV, Care Package, Predator Drone - by the time I get to one that can add to the killstreak, I can't get any further rewards from extending my streak anyway...

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Box Boy wrote:I'm a Akimbo whore/Knife fag/Camper/n00b tuber myself.

Why don't you just download hacks for it. Then you can be the ultimate king of cheap kills.

First of all, I don't use hacks as that is actually cheating, and I'm on the PS3 anyway.
Second of all, I find it really annoying the way people rage at you for getting kills that don't come from a gun. Sure, i may one hit you with my "n00b tube" and then knife your buddy charging with a striker, but I earn those kills by sneaking up on you so you can't see me/getting you from a covered angle/having great reflexes. They're perfectly legitimate means of gaining kills, and akimbo is only good at close range so you shouldn't have any trouble picking me off with your red dot sight scar or whatnot if you're so good with a "real" weapon.

Finally, how the Hell am i meant to snipe without camping? At least I don't use tactical insertion to get on top of the buildings in Highrise and rain down death from above and respawn there every goddamn time I die. (Although, I must admit I want to try it)

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

There's no such thing as a cheap kill, merely a poorly designed game, imho.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:There's no such thing as a cheap kill, merely a poorly designed game, imho.

And this game is not the latter, and my kills are not the former.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:First of all, I don't use hacks as that is actually cheating, and I'm on the PS3 anyway.
Second of all, I find it really annoying the way people rage at you for getting kills that don't come from a gun. Sure, i may one hit you with my "n00b tube" and then knife your buddy charging with a striker, but I earn those kills by sneaking up on you so you can't see me/getting you from a covered angle/having great reflexes. They're perfectly legitimate means of gaining kills, and akimbo is only good at close range so you shouldn't have any trouble picking me off with your red dot sight scar or whatnot if you're so good with a "real" weapon.

Finally, how the Hell am i meant to snipe without camping? At least I don't use tactical insertion to get on top of the buildings in Highrise and rain down death from above and respawn there every goddamn time I die. (Although, I must admit I want to try it)

1) You dont need tactical insertions to get on top of buildings in high rise. Basically every single one has a ladder.
2) Akimbo shotguns have fairly long range
3) Getting kills with a noob tube doesnt mean you have good reflexes.
ProZac wrote:Ok, what killstreak rewards count towards your kill count? I thought it was 'One that come in care packages' don't, but this doesn't seem to be the case. I usually go with UAV -> Harrier -> Chopper Gunner. there's only 4 kills between Harrier and Chopper Gunner, and the harrier is almost guaranteed to get that. However, it always seems like the Harrier's kills don't count.

All killstreaks count except those which come from crates. So sentry gun, or a attack helicopter obtained via care package dont count, but a regular precision airstrike or pave low do.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:1) You dont need tactical insertions to get on top of buildings in high rise. Basically every single one has a ladder.
2) Akimbo shotguns have fairly long range
3) Getting kills with a noob tube doesnt mean you have good reflexes.

1) You do for the ones that aren't on top of your skyscraper, and require you to jump across the crane. I'm also fairly certain that they are the only way to get on top of the pnes at both sides of the map as well, y'know, the really really big ones? (I could be wrong on those, however)
2)I'm a UMP45 akimbo guy myself, but the shotguns don't seem to have too long (or, more accurately, an unrealistic range) IMO. After all, if not a crapload of shrapnel hurtling at you in rapid succesion, what is fatal? Plus it takes a good amount of grinding to get, for the shotgun's akimbo + Bling Pro.
3)When the enemy starts firing at you and you haven't got it ready, it requires a very fast reaction to get a kill with.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm UTC

The shotguns do have an unrealistically long range, at least in the game. The range of EVERYTHING is massively scaled down. The range of an M16 is about a kilometer. Thats way larger than any of the maps in the game, and the largest maps in the game are larger than the range of a (in game) M16.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:There's no such thing as a cheap kill, merely a poorly designed game, imho.

And since the game isn't hack proof, hence poorly designed, you must conclude that hacking isn't cheap.

I never said knifing is cheap, it takes skill to get up on people.

I think camping is a legit strat unless your on a game with objectives. People that camp to the detriment of their team are scum. (Bomb is planted and you keep camping = loser)

Ixtellor

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:51 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote: (Bomb is planted and you keep camping = loser)

Unless you're killing the enemy who are at the bomb/running to it to defend it, in whcih case you're doing a valuable joB.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:04 pm UTC

Wtf is with people not even attempting to defuse the bomb? I understand not actually going to defuse it - if you know you will be killed, its better for your team for you to keep whatever killstreak you have. But not even walking over to near where the bomb is planted? Go play deathmatch or something.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

Box Boy wrote:the shotguns don't seem to have too long (or, more accurately, an unrealistic range) IMO.

A full-choke shotgun is still lethal beyond 50m (6" penetration gel/6' water). I've never played a game with a realistic shotgun. They always have terribly unrealistic, very short range.

Return to “Gaming”