Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Axman

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Axman » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:53 pm UTC

Yeah, I thought they only made YouTube videos of them wiping their ass with greenbacks. I also agree with your concise explanation of the game development process involving mega-publishers. Although they are stupid enough to back a game written by Neil Gaiman.

You know, the more I think about this, the happier I am about this multiplayer system. I think it's trying to change the way multiplayer works and cut back on stupid shit like Unreal Tournament sound effects and every other fuckwad little mod that some clan thinks is cute and differentiates themselves from all the other idiot clans.

I want to play the game that I bought, not the game that someone else thinks they know how to make better. There was a time when modded servers existed to develop and innovate on multiplayer gameplay that was lacking or tacked-on. Currently, multiplayer gameplay is so honed that many game developers forgo any single-player innovation (and sometimes even content) whatsoever and rely on their player-based content to sustain the game.

Modern Warfare, if you bothered to play the campaign, was the most theatrical game I have ever played, on par with titles working in the adventure genre, not action, and the only thing they can do to disappoint me when I review it is to fail to live up to their own freakishly high standard.

MarshyMarsh

Postby MarshyMarsh » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:38 pm UTC

Well like any large coporation they are bleeding the franchise dry.

I dislike this to the extreme, alot of the reasoning is complete bullcrap and is creating a false image of what dedicated servers are to those who have no idea (console users).
The biggest shame is that PC online gaming will be full of foul language, racism and obnoxious voice chat, as there will be no dedicated administration or administration services such as b3.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:47 am UTC

Anyone seen the leaked airport level? It's floating around the internet- Activision are doing their best to quash it, but it's a losing battle. Basically,

Spoiler:
you're a CIA operative in deep cover walking through an airport with a few terrorists, massacring innocent civilians with machine guns and grenades. Eventually the riot police get there, but you escape in a van. You are shot by the terrorists before you can leave, and it closes with you lying on the floor being surrounded by police. Really horrific stuff, although I didn't notice any children in the airport, which is a mercy. I wasn't sure if this deserved its own thread.

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:56 am UTC

Heh. The last time I was at DIA the Secret Service was shaking it down before the President came through. You know they're not janitors when they're wearing earwigs.

Also, the Secret Service uses Bond license plates! It was pretty cool, all said and done.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:32 am UTC

I'm not buying MW2, not a big deal to me. The part I'm concerned about is that other big titles might use the same idea. I know Valve has thought about it. While I certainly doubt Valve would implement it right now, but maybe down the line when the next game, and the game after that abandons user dedicated servers. The gaming community itself might be asking for it. We could argue "in with the new, out with the old," but I think that'd be robbing them of an experience that Halo fanboys and such don't even know of. I'm not worrying right now, but it has my attention.

To just speak of MW2, I find it unusual that there's an optional third-person camera. That seems like it'd be a gameplay mechanic in itself in multiplayer, with people switching between first and third-person view whenever the situation best benefits it.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 pm UTC

psion wrote:with people switching between first and third-person view whenever the situation best benefits it.

I think that's actually a server setting, and you're required to play the way the server wants you to. At least, that's what I got from reading an article about it.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:04 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Anyone seen the leaked airport level? It's floating around the internet- Activision are doing their best to quash it, but it's a losing battle. Basically,
Spoiler:
Really horrific stuff, although I didn't notice any children in the airport, which is a mercy. I wasn't sure if this deserved its own thread.
I saw a really low-quality version, but I didn't think it was that horrific, it's a video game after all. Either people need to freak out more about movies like this, or less about games, at least be consistent.

Hello terrorism, you're not good you say? You massacre civilians you say? Why, I guess terrorism IS bad after all! Who knew it'd take a video game to figure that out.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am UTC

Last edited by Surgery on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:17 am UTC

Meh, depends on who you ask. If it were up to McLuhan than games are still less participatory than books, and passivity is a greater danger than participation. But he was batshit insane. I think it's better to say that gaming is more vicarious than movies, which is a widely-held and completely bullshit model (the injection model). No serious research has ever, ever concluded that vicarious violence in any form lowers inhibitions towards actual violence, and if anyone ever tells you otherwise punch them in the face. With a brick! -ST

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:42 am UTC

It wasn't the worry that someone might say "Hey! That looks like fun!" and do it in real life, I'm just not really comfortable with being asked to personally shoot a lot of people screaming and running away from me who aren't armed in order to progress through a game.

psion

Postby psion » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:09 pm UTC

It didn't seem like it really did ask you to shoot anyone though (at least those unarmed). It seemed to just put you in the situation, and let you be as involved as you wanted to be. I'm assuming it'd be more like the assassination level in the first Modern Warfare except with freedom of movement, rather than some terrorist simulator.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:53 am UTC

Oh dude--I love bricking in people's faces.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:24 am UTC

I'm too young to buy it. This makes me sad.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:20 pm UTC

Anyone sad by the fact that IW cant be original? The new kill streaks some of them are CoD4 mods.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:50 pm UTC

Axman wrote:Yeah, I thought they only made YouTube videos of them wiping their ass with greenbacks. I also agree with your concise explanation of the game development process involving mega-publishers. Although they are stupid enough to back a game written by Neil Gaiman.

You know, the more I think about this, the happier I am about this multiplayer system. I think it's trying to change the way multiplayer works and cut back on stupid shit like Unreal Tournament sound effects and every other fuckwad little mod that some clan thinks is cute and differentiates themselves from all the other idiot clans.

I want to play the game that I bought, not the game that someone else thinks they know how to make better. There was a time when modded servers existed to develop and innovate on multiplayer gameplay that was lacking or tacked-on. Currently, multiplayer gameplay is so honed that many game developers forgo any single-player innovation (and sometimes even content) whatsoever and rely on their player-based content to sustain the game.

Modern Warfare, if you bothered to play the campaign, was the most theatrical game I have ever played, on par with titles working in the adventure genre, not action, and the only thing they can do to disappoint me when I review it is to fail to live up to their own freakishly high standard.

some people like that stuff. The thing about dedicated servers though, is that if you want that stuff, you can go to a server that has it, and if you don't, you can go to a server that doesn't.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

Bah, it don't matter. Apparently, no dedicated servers means multiplayer can up and go fuck itself. That's not innovation it's punishment. This doesn't mean I won't enjoy (or dislike) the game any differently, but I am now sympathetic towards the multiplayers.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I am picking up my copy today.

Whats the verdict? Anyone played it yet? Multiplayer?

My plan is to install, and go right to multiplayer and begin leveling up.

Ixtellor
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I am picking up my copy today.

Whats the verdict? Anyone played it yet? Multiplayer?

My plan is to install, and go right to multiplayer and begin leveling up.

Ixtellor

I got it for the xbox ad the spec ops is good and the multiplayer is better then cod4
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

MoghLiechty2

Postby MoghLiechty2 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:11 am UTC

Picked up my copy of it last night (at midnight of course). Not quite done with the campaign, although it's pretty short (6-8 hours maybe). Overall, the experience is fantastic. The best way I can describe what they've done with it is inject adrenaline straight into the game disc, which makes every mission exciting, if a bit clumsy overall. I never felt like I could fully grasp the entirety of the ridiculous premise. I also found myself frustrated far too often, even when playing on regular (which I stepped down to from hardened to just get the experience.) I don't think I've gotten killed yet from somebody in the front, it's always the straggler who my squadmates didn't cover. There's nothing particularly revolutionary about the game. It's a spectacle, because of the environments they chose for the game, if not for more intuitive or intelligent gameplay or AI.

Semi-spoiler stuff:
Spoiler:
The environments are the spectacle, because they're not your run-of-the-mill fighting in a desert place you've only seen on tv. The 4th mission or so puts you directly into United States suburbia, and the raw familiarity combined with the realism evoked genuine emotion while fighting the occupying force.

As for the controversial mission where you're running through the airport with the terrorists massacring citizens, I would go so far as to call it absolutely unnecessary. It was thoroughly disconcerting and even awkward to play. I couldn't bring myself to shoot a single civilian, and didn't want to, and then felt guilty when my natural point-and-shoot instinct almost caused me to shoot one. Then when the counter-forces start fighting you, you have to kill them or else you'll die. Supposedly you're saving millions of lives by your actions, but it ends up that you're just an accessory and accomplish nothing, even though at the beginning they frame it as collateral damage. It only clumsily accomplishes its objective of making you hate the terrorists.

Only played a couple rounds of multiplayer. I like what they've done with it so far.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:34 am UTC

........Wow. That's really impressive how they shrugged off the last 20+ years of competitive gaming with a few vacuous and ignorant statements. Consider me no longer worried.

I loved this.

Tajfoon

Postby Tajfoon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Played it a bit last night, the singelplayer experience is every bit as good as the first so far. But the MP is lacking, at least on PC, the gameplay is ok, but i want my hardcore back, and is there no way to pick teams when just joining a game?!. And wtf is up with no tabbing out while in a match?
"How hard can it be?" -Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom.

"He gå int förklara för nån som int begrip!" - Ingemar stenmark.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

Fucking Fuck.

I took the day off from work to play all day, and fucking steam PC version is telling me it doesn't officially release for like 13 more hours. Even though its Nov 11th already.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:41 pm UTC

This makes me very very angry. UT2004 will continue to be superior to it on the PC because of this. Modding is GOOD.
Omni.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Fucking Fuck.

I took the day off from work to play all day, and fucking steam PC version is telling me it doesn't officially release for like 13 more hours. Even though its Nov 11th already.

Yeah dude, Steam releases at like noon, so they can have people in the office to take care of anything that goes wrong.

Also, they're regularly delayed for some stupid reason. Nobody is a fan of that.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:Fucking Fuck.

Yeah dude, Steam releases at like noon, so they can have people in the office to take care of anything that goes wrong.

Also, they're regularly delayed for some stupid reason. Nobody is a fan of that.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:41 pm UTC

This is one of the most intriguing games I've played in a long time. It really pulled me in. A true emotional rollercoaster that very few games have been able to put me on.

MAJOR SPOILER:
Spoiler:
The snowmobile level was a blast. I was dodging trees, shooting other guys on snowmobiles, and then making that jump to safety was just awesome. The terrorist level was really terrifying. I mean, yes, I was participating in the level, but I always felt sick when I would see a civilian crawling across the ground because they had just been shot. This to me, however, wasn't any reason to not buy it. Realism is what I like in games. If a game can make me sick by showing a cluster of polygons and pixels crawling across a simulated ground, then more power to it. It just shows me semi-firsthand a glimpse as to what innocent bystanders go through when stuff like Virginia Tech or Fort Hood happen. And it really makes you wonder how someone can justify being the man behind the gun. The first level where you're in the Humvee column too also helped me see exactly why soldiers get PTSD. I was scared for my life. I never knew what gun was waiting around what corner and I was stuck in full view in a tin box in a narrow alleyway.
When Shepherd shot Roach and Ghost then burned them to death, I literally had that "Nooooo!!" feeling. I felt like *I* had been betrayed. And at the end when Soap and Price were trying to get Shepherd, and Soap is just lying on the ground with a knife in his chest, Price is getting the crap beat out of him but then Soap gets the idea to pull the knife out of him and throw it at Shepherd, I was audibly cheering him on while frantically hitting the X button.

And I'm not one who gets too into games.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:01 am UTC

So, I played a bit on my bro's exbawks, just got to the part where (major spoiler)
Spoiler:
Capt. Price nukes washington, or whatever the frack that was.and I just have to say
NUKES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

First off, how exactly does the shock wave from the nuke translate through the vacuum of space to vaporize the space station?
Then, the EMP effect causes radios to go dead and planes and helicopters to fall from the sky, despite the fact that 1. most military electronics are likely to be EMP shielded and 2. even if they weren't airplanes can glide (albeit to a very limited extent) and helicopters can auto-rotate, neither should be spontaneously falling from the sky.

At the same time, the red-dot sights all go dead, which is plausible, but the ACOG are also dead, despite the fact that ACOGs are lit by tritium, not batteries!

And finally, I arrive at the White House to find that, despite the fact that this was apparently a magical EMP that even effects EMP shielded military electronics and even tritium, the White house is still fully powered with lights and everything!

For the most part,t he campaign has been pretty enjoyable so far, but so much Did not Do the Research at once, in what is otherwise a game that has at least tried to be realistic-ish tripped my suspension of disbelief.

I guess I should have been ready after
Spoiler:
the Russians hacked the Access Codes to America's Defense Network
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:51 am UTC

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:33 am UTC

Hehaha.

Still, I think a sort of petition with actual real life signatures would have more weight than a Steam group. Even if the people in the petition were users of the product.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:34 am UTC

Honestly, the users who were really upset enough to start boycott groups and whatnot were probably fairly self-selected to have a high possibility of being rabid fans of the original who were likely to buy the game anyway (or have it bought for them by parents/etc.)

The real story will be how well the PC version does in sales, I suspect it won't be very well at all
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:39 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Hehaha.

Still, I think a sort of petition with actual real life signatures would have more weight than a Steam group. Even if the people in the petition were users of the product.

Hopefully this and this carry a little more weight.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:21 pm UTC

I think I'll just go play the first game again instead of buying this. HAH, TAKE THAT ACTIVISION!
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:

Honestly, the users who were really upset enough to start boycott groups and whatnot were probably fairly self-selected to have a high possibility of being rabid fans of the original who were likely to buy the game anyway (or have it bought for them by parents/etc.)

The real story will be how well the PC version does in sales, I suspect it won't be very well at all

I'll take that bet. I suspect sales will be fine for the PC version.

I have heard nothing but outstanding reviews from people that have the game.

I think this will be a good lesson in 'vocal minorities' and 'silent majorities'.

Ixtellor

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

LuNatic wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Hehaha.

I'm sure they'll take retrend very seriously with his claim that it is the "WURST" game ever.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

Last edited by Surgery on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:26 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:05 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
LuNatic wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Hehaha.

I'm sure they'll take retrend very seriously with his claim that it is the "WURST" game ever.

I was thinking less about individual reviews and more about people seeing the averages sitting at 1.5/10, and not buying.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:29 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:I was thinking less about individual reviews and more about people seeing the averages sitting at 1.5/10, and not buying.
I think you overestimate the importance of user reviews, especially when the game is still getting amazing reviews from all the major sources. Most gaming sites even split them off from 'official' reviews (amazon obviously not being a gaming site).

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

Does it make me old if every time I see people talking about MW2 I think "What the hell are people talking about MechWarrior 2 for?"

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

Played it for a few hours this weekend. Went right to multiplayer, I think I ended at level 19.
As a PC user, my only real critiques is that I wish Hardcore was available at lower levels.
I also wish they had larger maps. I am used to playing with 24+ people and now there isn't a map over 18 at my level.

Other than that I really like it. I love the scavenger skill. I like the killstreaks, etc.

I haven't found that many maps with large open spaces, so I wonder what sniping is like. I ran out of ammo once and picked up a silenced sniper rifle.. that was pretty cool.

Ixtellor

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 pm UTC

There won't be, it's a fixed 9v9 multiplayer system, and the maps will stay small because it's all peer-hosted.

Return to “Gaming”