Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amnesiasoft

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I wish Hardcore was available at lower levels.

I thought I heard they'd removed Hardcore mode. If that's the case, I'd see even less reason to buy it. I couldn't stand paying any other mode.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:50 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Ixtellor wrote:I wish Hardcore was available at lower levels.

I thought I heard they'd removed Hardcore mode. If that's the case, I'd see even less reason to buy it. I couldn't stand paying any other mode.

They way they set it up, is that you unlock different map types as you level up.

Hardcore mode is an unlock that I don't have yet, but will be available in X more levels.

I am currently enjoying "Big War" mode which is a domination/team match game of 12-18 players.

The game is very cool in that there are sooo many unlocks. Even though titles and emblems don't have any meaning other than cosmetic, its still rewarding and exciting.

Ixtellor

P.S. Is there an XKCD friends group for the PCversion going?
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:47 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:P.S. Is there an XKCD friends group for the PCversion going?

IDK but if you have xbox I changed my clan tag to xkcd and invite others.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:39 pm UTC

Ok, I think the game is decent. But having 18 man max maps is bullshit, or worse having Hardcore capped at 12 players is a fucking joke.
They need to find a way to get 24+ man servers back. I think they catered way to much to console players and took out the MEGA advantage that PC gamers have and thats lots of players.

And lastly, because we don't get to pick where we play, its hard to get in a full game. Frequently I find myself in a 5 on 5 or 4 on 4.

4 v 4 Hardcore mode = noob camp fest. You spend all your time looking for the little cowards and since its soo spread out, there is generally no one there to get vengance after you make the camper reveal his hiding spot.

Other than the number of player issue's I do like the game though.

Ixtellor

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

keozen wrote:Does it make me old if every time I see people talking about MW2 I think "What the hell are people talking about MechWarrior 2 for?"
o hai welcome to the reason I want people to define their fucking terms.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
keozen wrote:Does it make me old if every time I see people talking about MW2 I think "What the hell are people talking about MechWarrior 2 for?"
o hai welcome to the reason I want people to define their fucking terms.
Acronyms are fun. All you MW2 people can go to hell, I'll be off playing MW2 (when I'm not crushed under a few tons of homework, i.e. sometime after finals)

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

So the new MW game looks fairly sweet, judging by the trailer. Too bad it hasn't a chance of getting to the sales of MW or MW2.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:So the new MW game looks fairly sweet, judging by the trailer. Too bad it hasn't a chance of getting to the sales of MW or MW2.

can we please restrict ourselves to discussing the game in the thread title? It's not hard people.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:53 am UTC

Actually though, the thread title was not so wide as to include everything about the said Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. It is a specific title, about a specific issue, not discussed for almost a dozen posts prior to this one.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:34 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Ok, I think the game is decent. But having 18 man max maps is bullshit, or worse having Hardcore capped at 12 players is a fucking joke.
They need to find a way to get 24+ man servers back. I think they catered way to much to console players and took out the MEGA advantage that PC gamers have and thats lots of players.

And lastly, because we don't get to pick where we play, its hard to get in a full game. Frequently I find myself in a 5 on 5 or 4 on 4.

4 v 4 Hardcore mode = noob camp fest. You spend all your time looking for the little cowards and since its soo spread out, there is generally no one there to get vengance after you make the camper reveal his hiding spot.

Other than the number of player issue's I do like the game though.

Ixtellor

Bah, the one thing I like about the Dedicated Servers being gone is the set match sizes. In CoD4, I never went into a server that could hold above 24 players. 20 was the preferred number. More than that and there's just too many people, too many grenades, and too many random sprays around each corner. This is the same reason I've lost interest in CSS and (especially) TF2. Every server is modded for 'fast respawn, 36 players, custom maps'. I really don't want to download all the crap, and fast respawn and that many players breaks the whole objective system of the game. I'll admit that some mods are awesome and worth playing... but most aren't as enjoyable as playing the game as it was meant to be played.

MW2 Hardcore modes drive me insane too. Friendly Fire on in all cases? No thanks. I turned all those off my server browser in CoD4 because I was tired of dying to my own team more than the enemy. The reflect setting is a little better, but it's only for sabotage/domination (don't remember for sure), and it still has problems. When I walk up to a window, see a guy and start firing, my teammate that decides to walk in front of my bullets (as I'm firing) and block the whole window... yeah, he deserves to die.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:05 pm UTC

The server size thing really doesn't have me bothered. As a competetive gamer (although I've taken a break lately) I pretty much never play on a server with more than 12-16 players - there's just not tactical play to it, which is the whole reason I play the game. But then I rarely play Team Deathmatch for the same reason - Search & Destroy 6v6 or 5v5 is by far the best MP mode.

I've had no real problem with friendly fire in hardcore. Sure, people make mistakes, but generally people learn pretty damn fast that shooting teammates is a bad idea.

Now, the no dedicated servers, no console & no mods thing, that I have a serious issue with. How are you meant to run a fair, standardised league when one of the teams' players will be hosting the server in every match?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:there's just not tactical play to it

Honestly, if you want tactical play, go play something more like SWAT, or Ghost Recon, or the original Rainbow Sprinkles 6 games.

psion

Postby psion » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:52 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Adacore wrote:there's just not tactical play to it

Honestly, if you want tactical play, go play something more like SWAT, or Ghost Recon, or the original Rainbow Sprinkles 6 games.

Except those games are dead in a multiplayer sense. Lower player count makes each player have more weight in their actions, and makes it less likely someone will be killed mere accidently.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:28 pm UTC

Adacore wrote: I pretty much never play on a server with more than 12-16 players - there's just not tactical play to it, which is the whole reason I play the game

The problem is that what is 'tactical' is not fun. Tactical always turns into 6 people hiding and waiting for enemies to walk into view.

As far as the # of players, some of the new maps are gigantic and if your playing a 6v6 Hardcore TDM it pretty much always turns into a campfest.
Plus there are a million hiding spots on every map now, so it favors campers to just kind of chill.

I recently hit level 39 and I finished all the knife challenges. Marathon + lightweight + commando = Brutal knifing streaks. I finished 2 free for all maps as the top player with only knife kills.

I am enjoying hardcore team death match the most with the FAL + silencer + holographic with Hardcore, Ninja (or cold blooded i forget which) and scavenger. I went 35-4 on the map Highrise with this set up. Although I got the last 12ish kills just sitting up by the chopper and essentially sniping them.

Because of the smallish server sizes, I definetly prefer the smaller maps, as walking around for 2 mins only to get killed by some camper under a bush gets old.

Ixtellor

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:The problem is that what is 'tactical' is not fun. Tactical always turns into 6 people hiding and waiting for enemies to walk into view.

To a certain extent, I differ in that I think holding a position is frequently a better tactic than charging around like a madman with a SMG. However, that problem is resolved, to an extent, by playing objective-driven game modes such as Search & Destroy, Sabotage and Headquarters. These game modes force a compromise between camping in one spot and having to move to an objective, while enforcing tactical team-based play.

In the end I think this merely highlights that one of the things the CoD series does very well is cater to a variety of different gamers' desires - I can have my tactical small-squad shooter in exactly the same game you use for large crazy-yet-fun firefights.

And to be honest the only reason why I like small-squad games is because of how much time I spent in competitive clanned gaming - before I started playing (PC games) in clans, I always used to play in the biggest servers I could find; since I started competing - even though I've now stopped - I prefer smaller games. I'd like to say that's because they focus more on individual skill, but honestly it's because they're more predictable - something I've become very good at is 'reading' a game and predicting what enemies will do, and that's only possible in situations with small numbers of players (so I can keep track of most/all of my opponents and so the enemies I'm tracking aren't killed by a horde of my teammates before I get into position to get the kill).

EDIT: Actually I find quite a few of the maps pretty small now - Scrapyard and Highrise are tiny, so is Favela (although the number of z-axis levels compensates for it there in TDM, it's lethal in Search & Destroy), Terminal is pretty small too. The only maps that feel 'large' to me now are Wasteland, Derail and Karachi, although you could make a case for Estate and Underpass, as they tend to be pretty sniper-friendly. Invasion and Skidrow feel like CoD4 maps, and I wouldn't call Quarry, Afghan or Sub Base large.

At the moment I mostly play Hardcore S&D using a SCAR with a heartbeat sensor and either bling for FMJ or an underslung grenade launcher, or the sleight-of-hand perk. Then cold-blooded and ninja (ninja is vital in S&D, while cold-blooded is less important than in TDM, as the killstreaks required for the various heat-seeking/auto-targetting rewards are far more uncommon). And a shotgun as secondary weapon, because those things are ridiculous (see next paragraph).

New subtopic - akimbo-wield shotguns are insanely overpowered. You see people wandering around with them (either rangers or those 1884s or whatever they are) and it's basically an instant-kill of anything on the screen from point-blank all the way up to mid range. They're nuts.

Admiral Valdemar

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
New subtopic - akimbo-wield shotguns are insanely overpowered. You see people wandering around with them (either rangers or those 1884s or whatever they are) and it's basically an instant-kill of anything on the screen from point-blank all the way up to mid range. They're nuts.

Fuckin' A! The dual 1887 combo is lethal. Yes, it's cool you can cock it like Ah-nuld in T2, but two shotguns should not act like perpetual grenade launchers with sniper rifle accuracy. I thought it was lag at first, until after the second match where someone was just owning me with this choice.

Thanks for the hints on S&D hardcore though. The FAL + ACOG scope and silencer, along with Hardcore and Ninja works wonders, and I'll never know what I did before the Stryker got unlocked.

By the way, anyone read Lowtax's take on MW2 multiplayer over at SA.com?

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:13 pm UTC

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Adacore wrote:

Fuckin' A! The dual 1887 combo is lethal. Yes, it's cool you can cock it like Ah-nuld in T2, but two shotguns should not act like perpetual grenade launchers with sniper rifle accuracy. I thought it was lag at first, until after the second match where someone was just owning me with this choice.

Thanks for the hints on S&D hardcore though. The FAL + ACOG scope and silencer, along with Hardcore and Ninja works wonders, and I'll never know what I did before the Stryker got unlocked.

By the way, anyone read Lowtax's take on MW2 multiplayer over at SA.com?

Dual shotguns are the ultimate in bullshit. I've seen one shot take out 3 people at once. The range/spread/damage is wayyyy too high.
See also: Penny Arcade

The knife strategy they mention is just as bad. Almost every time i've ever seen the EMP or Nuke, it was because someone was doing that. One guy doing that on a TDM game tonight was 53 and 7 or something ridiculous. They literally jump forward 5 or 6 feet like their knife is the fucking energy sword from Halo.
I seriously hope they patch that crap, because otherwise the game is incredibly addicting. So many things to unlock, it's hard to stop.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:42 pm UTC

I think the shotgun problem is because the knife is too powerful at close range. the shotgun is supposed to be the weapon you pull out when you want to fight close-quarters, but in MW2 (and maybe other call of duty games. I've only dabbled in World at War) the melee attack removes all need for a close-combat gun. So to keep the shotgun a viable option, they had to make it effective at close-medium range as well as direct close range.

If I were in charge of the world, I'd make it so knives would be for humiliation kills only, similar to the taunt-kills in TF2. That'd allow shotguns to be useful in extremely close quarters, while still giving you a fun way to tease tunnel-vision snipers. Or get rid of knive-kills completely, and have a melee attack that involves hitting someone with the butt of your gun. it would daze the person (like a stun-grenade would) and damage them. that way if you ran at someone headon (like it's possible to do with a knife) the person would still just shoot you, but if you attacked someone from behind you'd get the kill since they couldn't turn around.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:32 am UTC

I like the game systems that only give instant knife kills for backstabs. If you're face to face with someone in a first person shooter you should have to shoot them, imo.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:18 am UTC

I agree, like Krayzerkate said, it should just be stun melee attack or something from the front. Instant knife kills from behind would be fine, because you're probably dead anyways if they come up to you from behind, but motherfuckers running around stabbing people all over the place, turns into something that's not really a shooter anymore.

Random: Someone told me this, and it's my new favorite thing to do when I find snipers or someone lying still somewhere:
stand behind them with my gun pointed at their head for a good 4 or 5 seconds, as long as i don't think they're going to move. That way when I kill them, their killcam is just me standing unmoving behind them, barrel at their head for the whole killcam. Creepy as hell, and awesome.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:20 pm UTC

I don't think the knifing is imbalanced. The only time I get knifed is when I turn or a corner, sudden close combat, and when I am reloading. There shouldn't be a situation where you see a person running at you, and they get the knife kill. Gun > Knife. Even Though I have had top score with knives, I also had a shitton of deaths.

I finally hit level 40, after squeezing in 2 hours over the weekend.

M-16 is Awsome.
I have been using sleight of hand (for the challenges), Stopping power, and Site Rep (for the challenges).
Very fun weapon. Once I unlock Silencer, I will switch to coldblooded ninja again, and unleash the terror.

In order to get some unlock titles, I was using it on a FFA. That Terminal (airport) map was fun as hell.
I also had an amazing game with it on hardcore TDM Highrise.

Does anyone else hate the noobtube still? That weapon was universally condemned in CoD4, and I am disappointed they brought it back.
The only reason I use it is for the unlock and the challenge, but I feel guilty everytime I pull the trigger. SOO CHEAP.

Ixtellor

Admiral Valdemar

Postby Admiral Valdemar » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

The 'nade launchers are at least not as bad as the normal frags were in CoD4. Practically unlimited range on those things so it rained artillery as the opening volley in any match. They toned that down, if not the n00btubes. I still hate dying from a point-blank 'nade to the stomach.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:22 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I don't think the knifing is imbalanced. The only time I get knifed is when I turn or a corner, sudden close combat, and when I am reloading. There shouldn't be a situation where you see a person running at you, and they get the knife kill. Gun > Knife. Even Though I have had top score with knives, I also had a shitton of deaths.

Does anyone else hate the noobtube still? That weapon was universally condemned in CoD4, and I am disappointed they brought it back.
The only reason I use it is for the unlock and the challenge, but I feel guilty everytime I pull the trigger. SOO CHEAP.

It's the fact that knives are used for close combat at all that bothers me. those encounters where you and an enemy accidentally bump into each other shouldn't be ended by whoever hits the knife button faster. In most of MW2's gameplay, I like how at all times you're sizing up your position and weapons to those of your enemy's to figure out whether you should move, fight, or run away. I think that all that should be a part of close-range combat too.

yeah, the grenade launcher's annoying. usually they're not much of a problem because they're useless at anything but medium range, but I played a game the other day where half the team used the Tubes and it sucked. Especially when the other half were all doing the dual-shotgun thing.

After a couple games, I've been dissapointed at how underpowered riot shields and the one-man-army perk are.

riot shields are useless. There are so many ways a riot shield can go wrong. Anyone with semtex can stick your shield at close range really easily. Anyone with a teammate can surround you. Riot shield aren't even a one-hit kill, so most people just wait for me to attack, then use that moment where the shield is down to get the easy kill. Even when crouching, you can get killed headon by someone that is slightly up- or down-hill from you (shooting the head and feet respectively). The shield looks like so much fun but has very little tactical use other than to bother newbies or get close to snipers.

I'd like it if one-man army could replace the primary weapon too. It's pretty useless at the moment since the only weapon I'd really want to switch to and from at a moment's notice is the rocket launcher (to take down aircraft). I can't really think of any situation you'd want to switch to sniper-rifle, but couldn't wait until you respawned.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:I don't think the knifing is imbalanced. The only time I get knifed is when I turn or a corner, sudden close combat, and when I am reloading. There shouldn't be a situation where you see a person running at you, and they get the knife kill. Gun > Knife. Even Though I have had top score with knives, I also had a shitton of deaths.

So I guess you didn't use a care package, then?
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:31 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:riot shields are useless. There are so many ways a riot shield can go wrong. Anyone with semtex can stick your shield at close range really easily. Anyone with a teammate can surround you. Riot shield aren't even a one-hit kill, so most people just wait for me to attack, then use that moment where the shield is down to get the easy kill. Even when crouching, you can get killed headon by someone that is slightly up- or down-hill from you (shooting the head and feet respectively). The shield looks like so much fun but has very little tactical use other than to bother newbies or get close to snipers.

I agree that in Team Deathmatch the riot shield is next to useless because you get flanked all the time and there are always multiple enemies around. In Search and Destroy it becomes more valuable, as the enemy is always in a predictable direction, so you can make sure you're facing them, and there are far fewer enemies, so you're much less likely to get flanked. In hardcore riot-shields most definitely are one-hit kill, so in hardcore S&D they can work quite well. They're not amazing, but on certain maps where you can almost guarantee facing the enemy without being flanked (Terminal attack is a good example) they can be quite powerful - if they see each other at mid-long range (on level ground, without being flanked) I'd say the riot shield wins about 50% of the time; at short range it's far more often.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:34 pm UTC

In my mind,
Riot Shields: Can be good, but never great on most maps. They need to cover a bit more of the body. I use them in domination the most, I start with a class with lightweight, one man army, and a blast shield. I immediately run to B, smoke grenade it, put the riot shield on, and take the point. If I can get away an survive, I one man army over to a demolitions class and C4 the point. It makes a huge difference
Dual Shotguns: Totally OP, they need to cut down both range and increase the reload time.
Grenade Launchers: Not that bad anymore. They are currently the best defence against campers. Pop one around the corner. Thats basically the only time you'll get a kill with one when an AR wouldn't do the trick.
ARs: Overpowered as a whole
Snipers: There are only like 2-3 maps where sniping makes any sense, which is a disappointment.
Knifing: I wish they removed the lunge from it.
One Man Army: Hugely underrated, use it to refill all your ammo in 3 seconds. For a while I was also using it to switch to a hardline class while trying to get chopper gunners.
Harriers: Need to be toned town, they are better then attack copters in almost every way
EMP: Doesn't do nearly enough, beyond having UAV knocked out I barely notice.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:28 pm UTC

Is it possible to turn off unit responses? The arab phrases are especially obnoxious.

"BAMBI!"

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:07 am UTC

The way I see it:

Riot Shields: AWESOME in CTF, as you can easily block off an entire avenue to or from your flag. Not the best for capturing because it makes you too slow, but great for defending and for escorting the flag carrier. Also rather silly that you can block the small rounds from a gunship or attack chopper.

Dual Shotguns: Wtf? What made them even allow dual shotguns? This is even more ridiculous than the MP40 in World at War.

ARs: Seem fine to me. Powerful, especially at mid range, but they run out of ammo a bit quickly to be OP I think. Combining with scavenger is good.

Sniping: They have silenced sniper rifles! If it werent for the killcam, I think they would be totally OP.

Knifing: Commando does seem to be the most common slot 3 perk. Still, its not much faster than a headshot. Ive been killed midlunge a few times.

OMA: Havent unlocked it yet (got the game yesterday)

Harriers: They are pretty powerful, especially because most people dont carry around anti-vehicle weapons. I guess OMA makes it easy to kill them.

EMP: EMP shouldnt disable the ACOG scope(its not electronic), it should disable semtex, and should at least cancel the nuke timer for some short time period.

Right now I run around with a silenced TAR with Sleight of Hand, Stopping Power and Commando.

I LOVE pro commando. Its so much fun to leap from great heights and skewer someone on my knife.

On the maps: They really made them alot more vertical than MW1. I keep getting killed at wierd angles from people up high. I guess that will decrease once I learn the maps.

Also why does the snow look white under the thermal scope?

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:10 am UTC

LMGs are (still) underpowered- they all kick more than the ACR or most assault rifles do...

dual shotties.

vulnerabilities of riot shield...

and of course...
Spoiler:
with the ACR, P90s, others.

Otherwise, good game.

@ above- What's OMA?
Omni.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:16 am UTC

One man army.

And machine guns are always going to be underpowered. You move too slow with them, and the game is too lethal for them to work well. They are only good at short range because they arent very accurate, but that range is for shotguns and knives. If they gave them stands like from world at war they could work decently as weapons emplacements, but they just dont work well in the context of CoD.

I would give the LMGs bipods, larger clips and +25% to their rates of fire to make them a bit better.

Also, I would eviserate shotguns, give a global health boost between 10 and 15%, and very slightly reduce the range of commando.

Ive found that the map makes HUGE difference. Maybe its just because Ive played some more, but I can go between 5:1 k/d and 1:5 depending on the map, and its consistent between different games. The sub base and the map with the big piles of sandstone blocks just kill me.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:13 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:And machine guns are always going to be underpowered. You move too slow with them, and the game is too lethal for them to work well. They are only good at short range because they arent very accurate, but that range is for shotguns and knives.

Have you ever used the RPD with the grip?

It is a sniper rifle.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:35 pm UTC

For all the complaining about them, I've never once ran into trouble with people running around with Dual Shotguns. I didn't even know they existed until I started seeing complaints about them. Anytime I do die to one, it still would have happened even if it was a single.

Knifing is still the worst imo. I don't know how many times I've been shooting a guy only to have him lunge and kill me. Even ones that pop around corners and I hit them with the shotgun, only to have them still take me with the knife. It needs a 'back only' one hit kill, as it really screws up close quarters combat.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
BlackSails wrote:And machine guns are always going to be underpowered. You move too slow with them, and the game is too lethal for them to work well. They are only good at short range because they arent very accurate, but that range is for shotguns and knives.

Have you ever used the RPD with the grip?

It is a sniper rifle.

I dont have any unlocks for the machine guns. I used them a bit in splitscreen and didnt bother with them again. I shall go unlock the grip now.

For all the complaining about them, I've never once ran into trouble with people running around with Dual Shotguns. I didn't even know they existed until I started seeing complaints about them. Anytime I do die to one, it still would have happened even if it was a single.

A single shotgun shot wont usually kill you I think, even with stopping power, at least with the ones that can be dual wielded.

I dont mind knifing because it has an easy counter. Go around corners in teams and with flashbangs. If you are going stealthlike, get a heartbeat sensor.

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

Easy counter? hardly. For every single one of those 'solutions' you have to wait precious seconds to take effect, and in most games those seconds add up if you want to check every corner you plan on turning. For the heartbeat sensor it's the little ping you're waiting for. for stuns/flashes it's the prime animation and the second or two it takes to explode. And if you think people that play team deathmatch want to communicate tactically with teammates, I'd like to introduce you to Screechy Twelve-Year-Old, Douchey Frat Boy, and Other Reasons I Mute My Team.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:25 pm UTC

the shot guns you attach to a a-rifle should be stronger you shouldn't have to be in the person. what they could also do is put in amechanic to open doors with them.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:Easy counter? hardly. For every single one of those 'solutions' you have to wait precious seconds to take effect, and in most games those seconds add up if you want to check every corner you plan on turning. For the heartbeat sensor it's the little ping you're waiting for. for stuns/flashes it's the prime animation and the second or two it takes to explode. And if you think people that play team deathmatch want to communicate tactically with teammates, I'd like to introduce you to Screechy Twelve-Year-Old, Douchey Frat Boy, and Other Reasons I Mute My Team.

Thats why I either use commando myself, or play team tactical. And the flashbang doesnt really take much time, because you can bounce it around the corner before you even get there.

If you go running around a blind corner without being prepared, you are going to be an easy target, knife or no knife. If there were no knifing, there would still be shotguns, claymores, C4 and regular guns.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:21 am UTC

BlackSails wrote:A single shotgun shot wont usually kill you I think, even with stopping power, at least with the ones that can be dual wielded.

From what I understand this is not so. Model 1887 will kill your from a ridiculous distance with Stopping Power and Steady Aim on. The only reason you have two is so you can shoot more quickly. Check the video Penny Arcade linked to when they did the comic about it.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 am UTC

Kag wrote:
BlackSails wrote:A single shotgun shot wont usually kill you I think, even with stopping power, at least with the ones that can be dual wielded.

From what I understand this is not so. Model 1887 will kill your from a ridiculous distance with Stopping Power and Steady Aim on. The only reason you have two is so you can shoot more quickly. Check the video Penny Arcade linked to when they did the comic about it.

Its possible. Ive actually never seen anyone running around with a single shotgun.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:32 am UTC

Kag wrote:

Yeah, This video. Total bullshit, i don't know how this made it through the testers doing weapon balance. You don't even have to aim with them hardly, just point in the general direction and fire, and the distance is stupid long. I've picked them up from dead players before and it felt like cheating after using normal guns for so long.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

A lot of the problems are different between normal and hardcore modes I think. The knifing thing in particular is far, far worse in normal than in hardcore. When you can kill someone with 1-2 shots (hardcore) from any gun a knife-wielding maniac charging at people will just get cut down; when it takes 4-5 shots (normal) he can run close enough to get the kill a lot of the time.

I've barely ever seen anyone with a single 1887 or ranger, it's just so easy to get the akimbo upgrade, and there's basically no reason you'd ever want to take the single 1887/ranger when you have the option for two.

Return to “Gaming”