Heroes of Newerth.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

thatguy

Heroes of Newerth.

Postby thatguy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:20 am UTC

This game is fun as hell.

It's in closed beta right now, but is anyone else playing? Look me up: that_guy

From what I understand, the gameplay is based on a WarCraft 3 map called "DotA." Never played it.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Phen

Re: Heroes of Newerth

Postby Phen » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:27 am UTC

... So it's another DotA clone like Demigod?

Edit, because I didn't catch it the first time around. You never played DotA? Have you played WC3? Didn't everyone play it at one point?
Last edited by Phen on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

tekking

Postby tekking » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:44 pm UTC

Phen wrote:... So it's another DotA clone like Demigod?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the devs have said that it's based on DotA themselves, it's supposed to be more similar to dota than demigod though.
While I'm not that huge a fan of DotA I'm still slightly interested in this game, because it's made by the makers of savage 2, which is my favorite indie game and which was reasonably balanced, something I could see being useful for this game.

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:59 am UTC

Heroes of Newearth is made by the original Dota creators with S2 games who made Savage.

I got my beta key this weekend and took a quick peek on Sat, which become an entire day spent playing.

Really great improvements on DOTA itself.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

If we're going by DotA clones....
-Heroes of Newerth: More or less 1-1 replication of most of DotA as it is right now, down to the heroes, items and map - with more goodies added in. Compare front page listing of Valkyrie to PotM, for example. Apparently has lots of fun goodies as well, but possibly the closest 1:1 clone slated to come out. Probably following the pay model of Savage 2, pay up front, eventually free, a graphical upgrade of DotA for some parts and reworked in others - good thing Icefrog has enough feedback for decent balance, has Eul with them

-League of Legends: Two members of the team are Guinsoo and Pendragon, who respectively maintained DotA Allstars until 6.00 and the maintainer of http://www.dota-allstars.com, similar gameplay as DotA, mostly new heroes, maps, etc., although you can feel the presence of DotA in skills, items, etc. A much more cartoony, comedic* feel, free and micropayments to unlock things - you start off with 6 heroes when you first create your account, and then you play to win points and unlock more heroes.

-Demigod:Inspired by DotA, the game that swerves the most from the original. Never tried it, but there are enough reviews out to fill yourself in on what's going on.

-DotA: has Icefrog, who is opening things up tremendously. Still need a good group of friends to play with, but that's why it's a 5v5 game :)

There's a couple of Asian clones wandering around, but most people already have their games they plan to play. I plan on trying them all out, eventually: getting LoL key to work, then to the next game.

Kow

Postby Kow » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:39 am UTC

I just got a beta key this morning and have been playing for a good portion of today. It's fun as hell and improves on the original dota very well.

Essentially it's a clone of dota with graphical and engine upgrades. Icefrog is working with S2 to make it the best of both worlds (old and new).

I'd love to post some screenshots for you, but it's still against the ToS to do so.

If you play, hit me up. I'm Kowzorz and usually hang out in channel Clan Sen.

FoS

Postby FoS » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:03 am UTC

The latest patch added a lot of little extra features like the rating system and win probability.

It's really a big improvement on an already good game. Now I just need more time to play it.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:25 pm UTC

jbeads wrote:Heroes of Newerth http://heroes-newerth.com

Heroes of newerth item lists, hero lists, guides and strategy... enjoy!

That's nice, beta keys for everyone.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

thatguy

Postby thatguy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

I've got a couple beta keys, PM if you'd like one.

Chai Kovsky wrote:Thatguy, you are my Big Damn Hero!
Thank you! You win the day!

Phen

Postby Phen » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:22 pm UTC

I just clicked at that link... :P I wasn't so impressed, but that's mostly annoyance at my inability to navigate the new look and therefore losing horribly.

Mantis29

Postby Mantis29 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I saw my friend playing this game the other day, and it looks phenomenal. Obviously it is still in beta testing so it still has some flaws in the gameplay, but for a game that looks and plays a lot like dota (since thats the entire premise of the game) its just amazing.

My personal favourite parts from what i've seen are the graphics and the gameplay speed. Graphics, when comparing them to dota, isn't really a fair comparison since dota is quite the bit older, since its using WC3, but the speed of HoN is just so much better. My biggest problem with dota was the fact that the game starts off so slow and it takes forever to get anywhere (unless you're buying scrolls). So this makes up for it quite a bit.

I've been wanting to try this game out for a while now, but cannot seem to get my hands on a beta key. If anyone has an extra one, it would be much appreciated, otherwise I'm gonna be stuck playing dota or playing off of my friends account.

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 am UTC

Anyone still playing this? I got a key a few weeks ago and have been spending most (all) of my free time on this. I'm still not great, but it's definitely fun. I enjoyed DotA, but felt that the community was full of people that could play and weren't that interested in people that couldn't. I knew the theory, but didn't have the APM or last-hit ability to do well so was shunned. HoN has allowed me to at least start to get good!

Axman

Postby Axman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:17 pm UTC

Leo33 wrote:wow HoN is simply amazing, i just got a key from BLEEARGHTHB, great guy to deal with
I don't get it, this is blatant spam, but it's also pertinent and a service. But it could also be a big fat scam, I don't know, I'm sure as fuck not going to give this dude my credit card.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 am UTC

Seeing as how they have been handing out keys like candy and everyone with the game has extra keys to hand out, it's just pure spam.

But if you want a key, PM me.

iusername

I totally fail at playing HoN

Postby iusername » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

I don't understand why some people like HoN so much, especially i find it extremely strenuous and stressing at some point during a game, and statistics are the things people look at which they take as a measure of how good you are. Then there comes the kick-ass-action as a newbie gets in a game, or you get this rage from players and i am like, it is only a game!!!!! Yes it is alright for people to play while throwing up shit and swearing all over the place, welcome to your world!!!

I hate HoN, but i will just keep up my newbie skill

add me if you are not one of those stressing HoNies.

my account: Timtam :D
"Ahhh, good afternoon sir and how are we today?"
"Better..."
"Better?"
"Better get a bucket, i'm gonna throw up!"

iusername

Postby iusername » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

this game is not for female variety, because it is totally for the hormone raging people with a fucking tool without knowing how to use it
"Better..."
"Better?"

Xaddak

Re: I totally fail at playing HoN

Postby Xaddak » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:19 am UTC

Soooooo what is HoN?
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:58 am UTC

Heroes of Newerth, a game in production by S2Games which is pretty much just the 'popular' DotA mod [Defence of the Ancients] from Warcraft 3. The current lead of the WC3 Dota has fully authorised this clone, and it essentially exports it into a new engine with less of the restrictions. 2 teams on either side of a map, NPC controlled armies of equal strength, scripted to auto-spawn and push against the other side. Player-controlled heroes, ~5 players per team, fully customised generic RPG micromanaging mumbojumbo. Level up your guy by killing enemy army, getting killing blows on enemy players and other game forwarding actions. Various non-aligned NPC loot monsters around, and I'm assuming they also copied over item tier progression, a vastly complicated "Buy X, Loot Y, Create Z through merging A & B, and with X Y & Z create Staff of +1 to Faceroll" tree.

HoN currently in beta, has been for some time. While I'm in it, I'm not in in it, as anything that has its players drowning in influx of 10's of beta invites a day, and posts "have another 1000 each" to its facebook fans, probably doesn't seem all that dynamic & exclusive. I guess I have certain prejudice to it from bad times on DotA proper, when turning up as a fresh newbie looking for custom games on BNet, I had my sexuality and the sexual promiscuity of my mother called into question many-a-time, simply for choosing an interesting character that, unbeknownst to me, was not the cookie-cutter spec of that release version.

It's a bit like GWave to be honest; everyone grabs the invites, has a fiddle on the beta, then when retail comes around, people realise it's just a gimmick that they have no interest in forking out for or shifting their preferences over to.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:07 am UTC

Ah. Personally, I think all tower defense games are fairly stupid and boring. But that's just me. And yeah, it sounds like it'll be a flop, why would I pay to play a clone of a single custom map of a game I already own? Oh, right: I wouldn't.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:01 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:Ah. Personally, I think all tower defense games are fairly stupid and boring. But that's just me. And yeah, it sounds like it'll be a flop, why would I pay to play a clone of a single custom map of a game I already own? Oh, right: I wouldn't.

Calling it tower defense is selling it short by a lot. The DOTA game is almost its own genre, not really fitting in with RTS or RPG but taking heavy elements of both. That being said, it is only one gametype and if you don't love it you'll probably hate it.

iusername wrote:I don't understand why some people like HoN so much, especially i find it extremely strenuous and stressing at some point during a game, and statistics are the things people look at which they take as a measure of how good you are. Then there comes the kick-ass-action as a newbie gets in a game, or you get this rage from players and i am like, it is only a game!!!!! Yes it is alright for people to play while throwing up shit and swearing all over the place, welcome to your world!!!

I hate HoN, but i will just keep up my newbie skill

add me if you are not one of those stressing HoNies.

my account: Timtam :D

Yeah, DOTA has built one of the most stuck-up game communities around unfortunately, and many of them have followed to HoN. I've just recently got a key( Thanks Shrike! :mrgreen:), so I'll add you when I get home from work.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:33 am UTC

DotA is it's own genre, but that's a discussion for another time. It takes a lot of learning and single player to get into it up-to-par (especially since most of the heroes are directly ported from DotA Allstars), it takes a bit of skin to get used to the trash-talking that's almost required in game, but being able to pull off a perfectly executed gank, crush down two towers and utterly destroy the hopes of the opposing team with a group of people working in unison... it's a euphoric feeling. It's a high, and people get angry if you bring down their high because it's completely based on teamwork and if you fail you've lost twenty dollars and my self respect for the team, no questions asked. It's very different from other genres on the market (mostly because you can learn at a slow pace without affecting much in the beginning) but once you become good at it and you can handle the verbal abuse, it can be addicting.

iusername

Postby iusername » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:42 am UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:DotA is it's own genre, but that's a discussion for another time. It takes a lot of learning and single player to get into it up-to-par (especially since most of the heroes are directly ported from DotA Allstars), it takes a bit of skin to get used to the trash-talking that's almost required in game, but being able to pull off a perfectly executed gank, crush down two towers and utterly destroy the hopes of the opposing team with a group of people working in unison... it's a euphoric feeling. It's a high, and people get angry if you bring down their high because it's completely based on teamwork and if you fail you've lost twenty dollars and my self respect for the team, no questions asked. It's very different from other genres on the market (mostly because you can learn at a slow pace without affecting much in the beginning) but once you become good at it and you can handle the verbal abuse, it can be addicting.

TRUE....SIGH...I GUESS TALENT IS SOMETHING I NEED

5 GAMES 1 KILL 48 DEATHS

no doubt people get angry easily

by the way i never played dota. :S
"Better..."
"Better?"

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:20 am UTC

Well, it turns out I fail at finding a way to add friends who aren't online, but if I see you I'll add you.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

iusername

Postby iusername » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:24 am UTC

LuNatic wrote:Well, it turns out I fail at finding a way to add friends who aren't online, but if I see you I'll add you.

well ,this is unequivocally saying half the chance you are gonna add me or not. :S
"Better..."
"Better?"

Gowerly
Toad

Re: Heroes of Newerth.

Postby Gowerly » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:56 am UTC

I am Gowerly on there. Feel free to add/IM me and I'll add you back!

Robstickle

Postby Robstickle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

I can not fucking stand the people who play this game. I mean I join a noob only game, because you know I haven't a fucking clue of how to play yet people still bitch when they discover that (surprise surprise) I'm not actually any good. I mean if they want a good team DON'T JOIN A FUCKING NOOBS ONLY GAME YOU PRICK.

That's all I have to say.

Edit: If there was a single player or something I would gladly use that to learn what's what but there isn't so I can't.
Edit2: It turns out that if I base my play style around not dying people don't get so angry.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

Lie 1: There are "NOOBS ONLY" games in DotA, HoN, LoL - it's a sign for slighly skilled players to jump in and pubstomp everyone to pieces. In fact, everyone joins "NOOBS ONLY" games to pubstomp, which is why you don't join those games and instead aim for a "PRO" game, announce you have no clue, and hope that someone is kind enough to take you under their wing because it's usually too much work to kick someone out than it is to talk/yell at someone.

Lie 2: People are of an emotional age to care about others in this game. No, not really. All AoS players have egos to match their shit-talk, which is big, but usually don't have skill.

I don't have HoN installed otherwise I'd walk people through the ropes, but if you're having trouble:
-look for heroes with lots of health, and practice last hitting creeps for gold.
-look for heroes with a stun, and use it on the enemies when shit happens.
-don't leave your lane unless everyone else is in a another lane, pushing to the base.
-find friends and play the game with each other to get the ropes first.
-play DotA/LoL in singleplayer mode to get the hang of basic game mechanics :)

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:Lie 1: There are "NOOBS ONLY" games in DotA, HoN, LoL - it's a sign for slighly skilled players to jump in and pubstomp everyone to pieces. In fact, everyone joins "NOOBS ONLY" games to pubstomp, which is why you don't join those games and instead aim for a "PRO" game, announce you have no clue, and hope that someone is kind enough to take you under their wing because it's usually too much work to kick someone out than it is to talk/yell at someone.

I have to say, this is the largest problem I have with DOTA games, they have such a poor community that there is even an etiquette system set up for how to stomp newbies. This is in a game with no persistent stats from game to game, and no ranking system, so stomping newbies doesn't even "gain" you anything. Think about that for a second. This is the same as having an entire community full of people who spend their days finding the level 1 areas of MMORPGs and bringing there max-level characters there to hack and slash their way through the lowest level players unopposed.

Honestly, I "used" to like this game, but the fact that it attracts that sort of community made me swear off any DOTA clone, because it will be filled with the worst aspects of the net. And thank goodness too, gets them away from the actual good games.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:46 pm UTC

You're talking about kids who play a game their parents picked up for $10 on sale on their family's P3 that no one touches because it's "so slow." These kids have no concept of etiquette, no idea on how to actually be good at a game beyond reaction time and are looking for the next high, 45 minutes at a time. They've got nothing to do but enlarge their e-peen.

Everyone with half a brain has moved onto private leagues where they can play civil games, the only restrictions being play a decent "show" game to prove you won't drag a team down and don't flame - which is partially idiotic, because all that has to happen is you shut your mouth and play to let the kiddies in, who then proceed to flame everyone into oblivion. Of course, if you don't know where the leagues are, you'll never realize there's a "civilized" community that plays decent games of DotA/AoS-likes, but it still suffers from the "4chan" effect - even if everyone in the room are in their mid 20s-30s, they'll still sagebomb the thread and shout down newfags.

When Valve time finishes and Icefrog reveals the new game, I'm pretty sure there'll be a automated matchmaking system to alleviate some of the problems. But playing DotA on B.net public lists/Garena is like playing TF2 on a obscure public server with no friends - everyone is spamming HLSS, snipers are simply pissing people off on 2fort, and the group of friends on one team roll everyone else before they get bored and return to moderated servers for a decent game. It's the same everywhere.

On the defense of "NOOBS ONLY" games, there are actually some that are mostly noobs, and the host that's trying to teach others/is a noob as well so they learn together. (Guilty of trying to teach) But one kiddo needs to jump in and prove their e-peen by pubstomping a bunch of noobs.

Gowerly
Toad

Postby Gowerly » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:55 am UTC

HoN has persistent stats. Not that people check them. This should improve on release, as it'll mean you have to pay for another account to play smurfs.
When you join a game, make sure nobody is sporting a 1.1+ Kill to death ratio (right click on person in chat window -> view stats) and you can be sure you're playing with people around your level.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:37 pm UTC

The people I play with check stats constantly. The score also helps see how good someone is, but a losing streak can upset the balance of course. I like HoN, it's clearly DotA, but improved.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

I've got an HoN key, tried a few games, and it's alright, but I prefer LoL.

I will have to say that stats, stat tracking, and stat statty stats are freaking amazing (and plentiful) in HoN.

Kow

Postby Kow » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:I've got an HoN key, tried a few games, and it's alright, but I prefer LoL.

I will have to say that stats, stat tracking, and stat statty stats are freaking amazing (and plentiful) in HoN.

From what I understand, LoL is practically a different game from dota/hon.

cmd

Postby cmd » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:57 pm UTC

Anyone else still playing this? Feel free to add me, I'm Carum.

I used to play LoL exclusively before I gave HoN a decent shot. Now it's mostly HoN. :lol: I still don't hold up in higher level games, but I can stomp a pub game pretty well, so give me a shout if you want a game :wink:

Aardvarki

Postby Aardvarki » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Kow wrote:
Phrozt wrote:I've got an HoN key, tried a few games, and it's alright, but I prefer LoL.

From what I understand, LoL is practically a different game from dota/hon.

LoL is a different game from dota/hon in the same way Starcraft is a different game from warcraft. The units and tech trees and interfaces are different, but the objective and main premises and to some extent the strategy of the games are exactly the same.
-Aa
Weeks wrote:The only Dexter I really know is the one with the lab

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

This game is in open beta now so anyone can try it out for free (I'm personally a huge fan, although the learning curve is steep).

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

If you really don't like to deal wtih the trash talk, you'll find it's extremely mitigated in most no-stats games (I don't, trust me. I still play stats occasionally, but nostats is more fun.)

Or you could just play LoL, where you're all but anonymous in terms of skill in stat-recorded games, and rarely will people rage at you for being nooby unless you refuse to listen to polite speech first.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 am UTC

Mega necro, but is anyone still playing this? Been using the alienware arena trial keys to do some games (think I'm on my third trial account now :P) but I'm still lost and not dissimilar to a headless chicken during matches lol. Was hoping my knowledge of LoL would carry over and help here and to a certain extent it does but I've still got no clue about the heroes or items so I get confused as hell in fights when I don't know who does what, or spend ages in the spawn pool trying to work out what would be useful for my hero.

Found a thread on the forums saying Witch Slayer was a decent starter champ and I've done sort of kinda almost mediocre but I still think laning with someone who's played the game and knows the heroes/items would be the best way to learn, preferably on skype/vent/teamspeak as well so I can ask (a tonne of) questions. So whoever feels like dragging a complete newb up from complete ignorance into partial clarity, please do speak up :P

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

Bump

Can get an account for $10 dollars at the moment. Shameless referral link below.

http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=TEIO8KMN

big boss

Heroes of Newerth

Postby big boss » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Like dota and Lol but better!

I used to play LoL exclusively because I thought it was better, but after a week on HoN I can't go back to LoL after realizing how lacking LoL is (at least in my opinion I can understand why others like it). I like how the game is more difficult and has a clan system. Does anyone else play?

If anyone is ever looking for someone to play with my id is big_boss13 just msg me I'm always looking for more people to play with instead of sucky pubs.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Return to “Gaming”