Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Dropzone

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Dropzone » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:02 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:Question for others with Steam. I'm about to get a new laptop and I want to make sure I keep all my saved games and such. I know some games get saved in the cloud, but for the rest if I backup the game content does that include saved game info, or is that just backing up the installation of the game so you don't have to restart it? I couldn't quite tell from the description.
AFAIK, it just backs up the installation - at least, I wouldn't rely on it preserving your saves. Steam games (that don't use the cloud) store their saves in the same way as non-Steam games, i.e. usually somewhere in either your profile directory (like Xeio mentioned) or the game's install directory (which will be something like C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\game, except that for Valve games you have to replace common with your username).

Incidentally, even if you do want to back up the installations to save redownloading everything, I'd avoid Steam's built-in backup functionality. Last time I tried it, it failed completely - when I ran the executable to restore the backup, it just sat there apparently doing nothing, and I eventually realised that it was completely ignoring the backed up data and just redownloading everything from the internet instead. The method that worked for me is to just copy your steamapps directory somewhere safe, then copy it into your new Steam install once you've got it set up.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:15 pm UTC

Sweet! Thanks for the tips!

I'm always paranoid about losing anything when I switch computers or format one. Shouldn't be too bad in this case since I'll still have the old laptop for the time being.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:59 am UTC

I get the FEELING there's a program that'll back up your saves for you? But I have no links as I'm not sure if it exists or not. It might be something worth googling in an attempt to find though.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:26 am UTC

Eh, there's only a few games with save files I really don't want to lose. And of those a couple are saved in the cloud, so definitely no worries there. I think I can find the save locations for the rest, though.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

CHRISTMAS IS HEEEERE

Highlights for me so far for today: PB Winterbottom (50c), and Super Meat Boy(3.75)
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:39 pm UTC

Yep, crazy holiday sales on steam, looks like 12 games a day for the daily deals, till jan 2nd.

BF: Bad company 2, for $6.75. Hard to beat that, a bunch of friends bought that for $50, not even that long ago.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

Goddammit Steam I'm only human!!!
My list right now looks like: Company of Heroes, Battle Field Bad Company 2, Deus Ex Pack (Is this worth it? I already have the first one), Hitman Blood Money, Price of Persia Sands of Time (Should I get the others)?

I'll be keeping an eye open for Dragon Age and some total war games to go on sale again. But jesus christ.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Dason

Postby Dason » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

Steam... I really want to give you my money. But when you say you have to verify my email account and I need to click on a link in the message you send me... it would be nice if I get that message. I just want to give you money in exchange for games. Please let me do that.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

novax6

Postby novax6 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote: Deus Ex Pack (Is this worth it? I already have the first one)

If you liked the first one at all, then they should be paying you to play the 2nd one. :D

Really though, it's not a godawful, throw-this-in-the-trash game, but it doesn't even come close to being as good as the first. If it didn't have Deus Ex in the name, no one would even remember the game existed now, for good reason.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:06 am UTC

Fucking Steam, making me spend all this money before the 25th when I know I'm getting a PayPal gift card for Christmas >_>

How's Bad Company? I don't know anyone who plays that one, and I find I get tired of FPSes if they don't have a really strong single player or if I haven't got buddies to play with.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:12 am UTC

novax6 wrote:If you liked the first one at all, then they should be paying you to play the 2nd one.

I actually haven't really played the first one :oops: Couldn't get my head around the 10 year old graphics, and the shooting just didn't 'feel' right. I will try again one day.
Dason wrote:Steam... I really want to give you my money. But when you say you have to verify my email account and I need to click on a link in the message you send me... it would be nice if I get that message. I just want to give you money in exchange for games. Please let me do that.

I know you've probably done this...but did you check your junk email folder?
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:49 am UTC

nowfocus wrote:
Dason wrote:Steam... I really want to give you my money. But when you say you have to verify my email account and I need to click on a link in the message you send me... it would be nice if I get that message. I just want to give you money in exchange for games. Please let me do that.

I know you've probably done this...but did you check your junk email folder?

Indeed. It just wasn't sending right away. I checked everything. I ended up changing it to a different address and it sent almost immediately. Five minutes later I got the emails to the address I had it set originally to. I don't know what was going on but oh well.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 am UTC

The Steam activation key for Humble Indie Bundle II has gone out.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this "Desura" thing.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Hey, here's an odd one: GOG has Riven on sale for $4.19. Steam is selling it for $2.99 - but the Steam version doesn't work under XP! Go figure!

In theory Riven is compatible with ScummVM, but the Lucasarts adventures on Steam have been scrambled ever so slightly to make them incompatible with the released version of ScummVM, and I imagine Riven is the same.

Herra Monologi

Postby Herra Monologi » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:04 am UTC

Sadly I almost have everything they have in sale now. Expect: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

Hmm, can't say I'm interested in any of today's games. Haven't even heard of any of 'em except Bioshock 2, RE5 and Burnout Paradise.

Kinda regretting not picking up Bad Company 2 though; I'm hoping it goes on sale bundled with the add-on sometime.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 pm UTC

Anyone here like PuzzleQuest? It worth getting for someone who plays Bejeweled Blitz from time to time?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

Probably, Biggles. It combines the crack-like addictions of casual puzzle games and levelling up. From what I recall, it was a bit more tactical than the Bejewelled games I've played too.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

I think I'll pick up The Witcher. I've heard some things about it that caused me to hold back, but for $5 I can deal with things I know might irritate me.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Anyone here like PuzzleQuest? It worth getting for someone who plays Bejeweled Blitz from time to time?

I mean, sure, if you have no use for the next 12 hours of your life.
I forcibly uninstalled mine after I realised I got nothing done while I had it. And now I have minecraft. Shiiii

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Oh shit I have an essay to write before Christmas... I think I'll have to pass.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Herra Monologi wrote:Sadly I almost have everything they have in sale now. Expect: Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Then you're a horrible person, go buy it now.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:30 am UTC

Men of War is multiplayer and singleplayer hardcore RTS based goodness. You control an army, and every single soldier, tank and crewmember has an inventory. You can steal the German's hats. And their tanks. My fondest memory is some super soldier wrenching an MG-42 of the top of one and holding back a whole wave of infantry until he ran out of ammo. It's a steal for £7.50.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

Apparently Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light has been getting some darn good reviews. I shall shell out.

And yes, Puzzle Quest is quite magnificent.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:03 pm UTC

Lara Croft is pretty fun.

For anyone that hasn't purchased the Humble Bundles, if you pay above the average of $7.33, you'll get BOTH Humble Bundles. That's 11 games for less than the cost of a soda each and at least some of the money can (should) go to charity.

For those who only got the second, they've also thrown in the first (which may or may not matter for some).

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:07 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Oh shit I have an essay to write before Christmas... I think I'll have to pass.
Or not :oops:

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:10 pm UTC

It'll probably be February before you stop seeing everything as falling gems.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

If anyone has a CEX near them, I've been seeing crates and crates of Mass Effect for £2 and Mass Effect 2 for £4. (the website says £4 and £8 respectively, but my store had them re-stickered with the lower price.)

I am aware this is not an online dealio, but it's a UK-wide chain of cheap, cheap stuff. Particularly as 3's coming out in a year. Which means that all three games will have been released between Half Life 2 Episodes 2 and 3.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

Never heard of them. :/
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 pm UTC

I bought Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for $2.50 the other day because I'd heard about how it's such a classic platformer, and I hate to say it, but... I can't even play it anymore because of how awful it is. I'm not a huge platformer fan in the first place, but really, after every jump I had to spend 30 seconds figuring out where to go next (due to not being able to see shit due to the camera), and then I got to this combat bit that puts you up against 4 enemies which respawn each time you kill one for a stupid amount of time, and to actually kill each one you have to do this elaborate killing move which leaves you totally vulnerable to the other 3...

Am I missing something? Because so far this seems like dollar bin crap :/ (though for $2.50 I don't feel too bad buying it)

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:17 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Am I missing something?
Nostalgia.
Signatures are for chumps.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:38 pm UTC

No, I remember getting it in the first place, then giving up because of the unforgiving camera and fights.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

I don't remember being frustrated with trying to figure out where to go. But I do recall the camera frustration and even though I didn't have trouble with the fighting I did think it was a little dull after a while.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 am UTC

I'm so glad they put the HIB I back up. I felt so pissed when I missed it the first time around.

I'm irked that they counted my donation as a Windows one since I purchased it on my laptop, even though I primarily play through my desktop which runs Linux. But I'm at home for Christmas so what are you gonna do :P

Edit for I am stupid: Turns out you can change what platform you count as! Whoo!

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:06 am UTC

Just bought Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers
Seems fun, but quite limited? Based on the millions of cards and combinations and deck-building in magic, having a few pre-created decks seems like a lost opportunity...
But enjoying it initially anywho

And Puzzle Quest. But I R quite bad at it...

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

DotP is really meant to be a quick, arcadey experience. It's not targeted at people that want to build their own decks, or tap their own lands... Think of it as a gateway drug to Magic. Still, I think it was worth the $5 I paid for it.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:24 pm UTC

Anyone remember the Magic: The Gathering computer game with the RPG? That was awesome. They need to make another - I'm sure a bunch of Magic fans would pick it up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:32 am UTC

nowfocus wrote:Anyone remember the Magic: The Gathering computer game with the RPG? That was awesome. They need to make another - I'm sure a bunch of Magic fans would pick it up.
Yes, that was the old Microprose one. It still has a pretty big community following, which is good as it's one of those games that needs some patching and a goodly amount of persuasion (or maybe just VMware) to get running under XP or later.

ME2 is tempting at the moment, especially since ME1 isn't going down to $5 like it was last year, suggesting that the current price of ME2 might not be seen again anytime soon. (By the way, it's $2 cheaper on GamersGate despite the Steam sale.) Still, I didn't get around to ME1, and there's so much freaking else to play now blargh.

D2D's current promotion runs until Monday (10 AM PST = 1 PM EST) and features a bunch of indie games:

Plants vs Zombies $5
Power of Defense $2.50
World of Goo $10 [Does anyone really not have this yet?!]
Torchlight $5
The Ball $5
Osmos $5
Trine $2.50
Star Ruler $6.25
Defense Grid $2.50

I don't reckon PVZ or Trine will get any cheaper on Steam, but I reckon they just might go lower on The Ball. Have you tried that one yet?

Also, would someone here care to endorse Deathspank?

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:02 am UTC

I haven't played a lot of Deathspank. I played the demo on PS3 for 30 or 40 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very funny & silly. I'm cheap so I didn't buy it right away, but I managed to snag it for $7.50 a couple months ago. Eventually I'll get around to playing it.

Damn places having sales and tempting me to buy more games and making my queue that much longer.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:14 am UTC

http://impulsedriven.com/impulsebuys

Impulse's holiday sale. Not sure if there's anything in particular that catches my eye (I haven't bought anything from Steam's sale either, guess there just isn't anything I really want :? ).

Return to “Gaming”