Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:07 am UTC

Impulse has been having some vaguely nifty daily deals as well; I think one of the more recent ones was Fallout 3 GOTY for $20.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:35 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Impulse has been having some vaguely nifty daily deals as well; I think one of the more recent ones was Fallout 3 GOTY for $20.
Yea, the daily deals were generally better I think (Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Ultimate among them). This isn't too bad, I picked up a random game I've never heard of that seems to have gotten good reviews.

We shall see if I regret it. :mrgreen:

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:03 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I reckon they just might go lower on The Ball. Have you tried that one yet?

I bought it out of curiousity - The video for it on Steam suggests a lot of awkwardly dodging mummies while you fling the ball about around yourself. That's true of Survival mode, but it is actually fun. The main story is very puzzle-heavy and doesn't feature a huge number of monsters, but when you do fight monsters it's often as part of a puzzle. The puzzles are generally original - There's only two or three cases of having to jump on the ball to get somewhere, for example - and some of the scenery is great. Overall, it's a sort of Portal/Painkiller hybrid. I paid £15 for it, and I think that price was fair.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:16 am UTC

By the way, have you seen Amazon.com's Digital Downloads? The prices on many things are quite competitive with Steam. Unfortunately, they're US only for now. I imagine the DRM is similar to Direct2Drive.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:56 pm UTC

I just spent €70 on games and I still feel like I saved money. How do they do that?
Environ 20% plus chouette.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:20 am UTC

Got The Witcher: Extended edition: Director's cut: The Electric Boogaloo for the cost of a bag of potato chips.

Besides crashing on me a few times, and having a protagonist that's like an odd mixture of Sepiroth and Van Helsing, it's reasonably good.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Kolko wrote:I just spent €70 on games and I still feel like I saved money. How do they do that?
You, sir, name? wrote:...the cost of a bag of potato chips.
That's how. It's the same as the thrill of going into the bulk grocery store and walking out with an entire year's worth of snack foods because it saves so much money.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Got The Witcher: Extended edition: Director's cut: The Electric Boogaloo for the cost of a bag of potato chips.

Besides crashing on me a few times, and having a protagonist that's like an odd mixture of Sepiroth and Van Helsing, it's reasonably good.
Things I recommend - use the Polish vocalizations, whatever language you read text. I don't know why, but it makes the game better. For me, at least. And I'm right about everything ever, so I must be correct here too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:10 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
You, sir, name? wrote:Got The Witcher: Extended edition: Director's cut: The Electric Boogaloo for the cost of a bag of potato chips.

Things I recommend - use the Polish vocalizations, whatever language you read text. I don't know why, but it makes the game better. For me, at least. And I'm right about everything ever, so I must be correct here too.

Basically, the game does to us what we English speakers have been doing to everyone else. Giving them bad localized voiceovers.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:47 pm UTC

Is Victoria II worth picking up? I tend to like turn based strategy games - but I've never tried this one before.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:34 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

Basically, the game does to us what we English speakers have been doing to everyone else. Giving them bad localized voiceovers.

Dubious English spoken dialogue is pretty much the rule with Eastern European games. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are very much the same.

But then, dubbing from any language to any language generally detracts from the experience.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:18 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:It's the same as the thrill of going into the bulk grocery store and walking out with an entire year's worth of snack foods because it saves so much money.

Tempted....to....sig....
Signatures are for chumps.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Not one of the games on sale this year has tempted me. Sadly, all the games I think I'd be interested in, I already purchased in previous sales. I have a lot of games I have never even installed.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:27 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Not one of the games on sale this year has tempted me. Sadly, all the games I think I'd be interested in, I already purchased in previous sales. I have a lot of games I have never even installed.

I've gotten a couple of games in the €5-€10-range that looked interesting enough to be worth the gamble (mostly around mid-70s metacritic rating). But I haven't bought nearly as much as I did last year.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:57 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Things I recommend - use the Polish vocalizations, whatever language you read text. I don't know why, but it makes the game better. For me, at least. And I'm right about everything ever, so I must be correct here too.
I picked it up and started playing yesterday, and YES EXACTLY WHAT THE SEXY MAN SAID. The game's a lot of fun, and the Polish makes is so much better.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:09 pm UTC

Is Cities XL 2011 worth getting? I know the 2010 version received poor reviews.

Manial

Postby Manial » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

I think you're better off getting Sim City 4 today. It's one of the best city sims, and it still has an amazingly active mod community after eight years.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:35 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Is Cities XL 2011 worth getting? I know the 2010 version received poor reviews.
It's ok. It's definitely not Sim City (basically similar to Sim City in its earlier invocations, such as 2000, with some different stuff added), since they seem to lose a bit of depth. I dunno, if it's on sale cheap, sure, but I'm not sure it's worth full price.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

Ah, well Cities XL was on offer when I asked the question, now it seems Sim City is on offer for a price I cannot turn down. Finally, I have purchased a game in the Steam Christmas sale.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

What is the price??

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

£2.49

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:35 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:£2.49

You're being fleeced. I have it listed as €2.49 (=£2.12)

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:50 pm UTC

Same.
.......it's so goddamn tempting.
Signatures are for chumps.

Herra Monologi

Postby Herra Monologi » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:24 am UTC

No reason to turn down King's bounty collection. Many reasons to turn down Doom collection but Dark Mod is too tempting.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

That hearts of iron 3 complete pack is a little tempting. Anyone who played the others (esp the 2nd) play the 3rd? How does it compare?

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 pm UTC

I might pick up Greed Corp - looks like it might be good when travelling on a less powerful computer.

Sales have been a bit weaker these days...first day I noticed I bought like 5 games, since then only one. When is Total War going on sale ffs?
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:12 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:I might pick up Greed Corp - looks like it might be good when travelling on a less powerful computer.

Sales have been a bit weaker these days...first day I noticed I bought like 5 games, since then only one. When is Total War going on sale ffs?

I'm pretty sure Napoleon: Total War went up a while ago; I might be mistaken though. And yeah, there's only a few every day that appear to be good, and I own most of them.

I did buy Greed Corp though, it looks like a fun little game.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:47 am UTC

All of the Sega games are already on sale, that means 25% off Rome, Empire and Napoleon Total War.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 pm UTC

Man, there hasn't been a single game that I wanted to buy (or didn't already own from previous sales since Halloween).

Not that I want to have less money, but I was expecting a couple games that would tempt me, at least.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

I bought greed corp too, it was really cheap and I'd like a new strategy game to play around in.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

Is singularity worth 10 quid? The trailer looked interesting, but I've not heard much about that game.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

Oh snap, good stuff today.

Stalker, the original AND CoP for 5 bucks total? Yes please. :D
The hitman collection is also tempting, even though i've already played the hell out of those.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:21 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:All of the Sega games are already on sale, that means 25% off Rome, Empire and Napoleon Total War.

You know what's a virtue? Patience. 50% off Total War today. I'll be picking up Empire, Napoleon, and possibly Medieval 2 for about 30 bucks.

And yes, today rules, if I can get passed the whole "Money online seems more expensive then money in person" thing I could easily walk away with 6 to 10 games. I'll seriously have enough to last me till next year.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:16 pm UTC

Woo, Company of Heroes was the last on my wishlist of games! Though I think I'll pass on the stand-alone expansion; it still costs as much as the game and expansion combined :/.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Woo, Company of Heroes was the last on my wishlist of games! Though I think I'll pass on the stand-alone expansion; it still costs as much as the game and expansion combined :/.

I fucking love me some CoH (I have a insane amount of hours put into the original and the expansion), but yeah, Tales of Valor is pretty skippable. It's worth 7.50 if you've already played single player to death on the other two, but otherwise there's not much there. Basically no new MP content, and mostly broken what little there is.

7.50 is a damn steal for the original and Opposing Fronts though. I paid about 10 times that when they first came out. Anyone who has even a passing interest in RTS or strategy games in general, and doesn't own it already, should do themselves a favor and get it.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

Yay for CoH! I got it in the THQ pack a while ago. I achieved a small level of not-shitness with british in the multiplayer, though I'm sure that's gone now, but the single player is excellent and really rather revolutionary.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote: with british

oh...you're one of... them.
*narrows eyes*

:D

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

I picked up CoH earlier....I'm not sure what to think of it. Maybe I just don't like RTS games but it feels like I'm being occupied, rather than having fun per se.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:39 am UTC

You've tried the campaign? Cos if so I don't know what to say. That's the best D-Day level anyone has ever done in any game ever.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:25 am UTC

I bought the THQ pack yesterday for me and my brother, since he's sick of not having many games. And then I bought AC2 for myself, and am currently playing up to as far as I'd got on the Hive's machine the last time I was in Boston.

Return to “Gaming”